Soulful Planet  Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Soul of Six > The Village > Town Hall
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yer gonna love this...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yer gonna love this...
    Posted: Apr 25 2008 at 12:31pm
     Read the entire article before commenting..please !!!

Big brother will take care of you, my children !!!
Down, and nearly out in Detroit......
Jeff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2008 at 1:57pm
I read it.

Doesn't matter; whatever. The horse is already out of the barn.

No matter what scheme anybody comes up with, the old days are gone forever. Never again will new, unknown artists expect a real shot at being signed to a label, then groomed, seriously promoted, and a chance at enjoying a viable career. This hasn't happened in decades.

William Fisher's plan ...

"Musicians, signed and unsigned, would register their creations with the U.S. Copyright Office, who would then set up a massive Nielsen-style sample of music listeners to track the popularity of different songs. The more your song is played, the more you get paid. The revenue from the tax would be parceled out to the copyright holders."

... is ridiculous.

Who really thinks The U.S. Copyright Office can be counted on to work efficiently, accurately, and in a timely fashion with millions of artists' money??? WHAT - Let the GOVERNMENT handle MY revenue stream???

Get real.

Jeff
Gene_Leone_Mix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2008 at 3:46pm

Jeff and Toad... YOU ARE SO RIGHT!!!

JEEZ!!!

Big Label Crap, Take Two, here we go again!!!!!

"... All-you-can-eat iTunes works for Apple. Voluntary blanket licensing works for Big Music. The problem is that both of these grand plans cut out the little guy. Apple wants to ensure that the iPod will crush all other music-playing devices for 1,000 years by building an overwhelmingly dominant music retail platform. Big Music sells 90 percent of records; if they manage to squeeze money out of the ISPs, one suspects they'd be more than happy to screw the independent labels that make up the other 10 percent. !!!"

Gee,
this feels just like the
RIAA/SoundExchange/Copyright Control Board (CRB) Internet Radio ROYALTY COLLECTION SCAM
that just danced it's way through
a
Sleeping US Congress
and into law,
while screwing the NON-RIAA independent labels and artists.   
Remember this fight a few months back...
SoulfulPlanet.com - Music Indies Unite!!! Save Internet Radio! - (read here)

Can You Say...
DISGUSTED
with the Major Labels
&
the Major Labels' Lawyers!

M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2008 at 3:59pm
It's the LIBRARY IN THE SKY idea that I figured was going to happen.

Pretty soon there will probably be an internet #2... the library. 

That's what I think is the real focus!!!  THE LIBRARY... INTERNET 2 BOX

Guess who owns the library?  How do you think we get to the library?  How do you think we get published in the library?

In other words... EVERY artist will be signed and paying to get into the library.  The tax will be for the listeners.

Then of course there's the internet #2 BOX... like a cable box... a music box... another rental... storage... hook-up dock for downloads... counts plays... counts plays on the dockable pod, when it's hooked back up to be charged... no more cds... no more music on regular computers without the INTERNET 2 BOX SERVICE.

That's what I see on the way.

If the artists actually get paid from all of it... fine... but what are the odds?

The problem for new artists would be in how to get into the library... how to advertise in the library... who will allow that to happen?  Back to... Who will own the library?  Payola all over again???  I hope not!!!

Mixey
Gene_Leone_Mix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2008 at 4:17pm

M I X E Y !!!

YOU, are probably
dead nuts on target
with this prediction!!!

It is where they have wanted it to go,
so that they can control everything collectable,
and
set up a proprietary
have vs have-not
internet.

Daaaaaaaaaaamn!
Got your library card epidermis embedded ID Internet#2 chip?
Don't leave home without it!
(...because we own that too.)

kitten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kitten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 26 2008 at 3:10am
Me thinks they shot them selfs in their own foot.
when you have friends who needs enemies.
Jeff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 26 2008 at 3:53am
I agree with you MIXEY. I think this is exactly what's in store for us - some version of this scenario.

It will make the fat cats fatter, and up and coming artists will have no more control over their product or their careers than they do today.

Meaning: No change for the better, and no incentive to play the game.

What a world. 
Jeff
dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 26 2008 at 4:08am
You all understand the complexities of all this far better than I, but this doesn't sound good at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dream
http://cdbaby.com/cd/eugenepitt
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic