Soulful Planet  Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Soul of Six > The Village > Cuisine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Whatz for Dinner?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whatz for Dinner?
    Posted: Aug 10 2008 at 7:38pm
     What are you making for dinner tonight?
  I cooked up a Beef pot roast last night, with tons
of gravy, and some mashed potatos. Also had a small salad.   Last night, and again tonight....and maybe
tomarrow too. 
It was real cheerful, and I wish I could invite you all over to dinner !

Your turn.........

toad

Down, and nearly out in Detroit......
M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 11 2008 at 2:46am
I get into a pot roast mood a lot Toad.  That sounds yummy!

Tonight, I had baked salmon with ginger rice and a salad that had dried cranberries, feta cheese and walnuts, with Italian dressing.

I'm getting hungry all over again thinking about it.

Tomorrow I'm going out of town... so I get to eat dinner out... something I do infrequently.  I'll come back over and fess up to the menu, as I'll have internet in my hotel... probably a lot more stable than at home. 

George is still eating franks and beans on his campfire, no doubt. 

Mixey
M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 13 2008 at 9:21pm
So much for dinner...

3 fried chicken "fingers"... a handful of french fries... some celery sticks and a bottle of water.

Will do better tomorrow night. Disapprove

Mixey
Gene_Leone_Mix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 13 2008 at 11:29pm
Toad & Mixey,
Lately, I have been cooking steaks and chicken over the open wood fire grill thingy on the 'D'Street deck,
because it's just so easy to do now,
it smells fantastic cooking, and the weather has been so nice,
so it's an excuse to enjoy it.

Tonight... I did not light a fire to cook anything, since there was a big eight alarm fire in Conshohocken, a mile away, on the other side of the mountain that made network news...
(6ABCNews story here)
...so I just did some cold tuna with black olives and elbow macaroni with italian dressing, and ate inside to get away from the drone of the news choppers.
I just sent these pics to Mixey in her hotel room.

Frightening!

Damn, and to think that a little while ago here in the Cusine: "Apartment cooking for singles" Thread , I joked and did this PhotoShop jpg here about
"cooking out on the deck" and craving a good wood fire cooked burger too... (of course with the coast to coast phone patch cusine cooking assist from Mixey) and
*lol* "ooops! Is something burning? " such as...

Obviously, this jpg was a tongue in cheek photoshop joke...
but damn, what happened to the people of the Millenium Complex in the real world of reality last night was not...
Dramatic Conshohocken fire routs hundreds
Philadelphia Daily News, PA - 6 hours ago

Yikes!
Geno

p.s. here hoping for better luck with tomorrow nights dinner!

toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2008 at 6:50pm
        I made some "Doctored" baked beans, fried 2 small pork chops,
 and a few french fries...big glass of milk.  Oh, It was goood !

toad
MickeyMac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickeyMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2008 at 8:19pm
Tonight I went out for dinner. Had some nachos mmmmmmmmm

Mostly its frozen dinners, but I couldnt take another night of that.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2008 at 8:35pm

Dinner tonight?

Ok... a slow night around here.
(see above post from last night!)

No eight alarm fires, no news choppers hovering overhead, no disasters of biblical proportions as far as the eye can see tonight. Go figure!

It started to drizzle out on the deck. So... I wrestled some frozen breaded chicken breasts out of the freezer, tossed on some perky lemon juice on one side... then some Stubbs Hot and Spicy BBQ Sauce on the other side and nuked them in the micro for a quick dish with no major fire hazards possible, and then I steamed up some broccoli, carrots, and cauliflower with REAL BUTTER on the stove for a veggie dish... complete with an icy cold Corona... and ate it all while reading posts here on SoulfulPlanet.

Simple, but sometimes... simple makes life good.

Ok. who's next?

~BigSmiles~
Geno

(((p.s. Toad & MickeyMac, our dear Mixey is still out on the road, and I hope She somehow gets a good dinner tonight. As usual, She's been going non-stop and kickin' ass, too.)))

M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2008 at 9:52pm
Those pictures crack me up Geno.  I love the look on your face!! lol

I didn't eat all day... and then...Tonight...

Popeye's fried chicken and mashed potatos.  That's about as "simple", as you say Geno,  as I could make it. Confused

I was too tired to go out to dinner, which kills me, because there are so many good places to eat around here.

Maybe a better diet tomorrow.

Super nachos near my home in Cardiff... you would like MM!!

Toad... that glass of milk sounded good.  I haven't had one in awhile. 

Geno... the D Street BBQ sounds stellar... flying squirrels and all.

Mixey
MickeyMac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickeyMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2008 at 10:51pm
Drink milk for vitality, well at least thats what they used to say in those old commericals

See:

M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2008 at 2:59am
2AM in the morning and I'm eating "dinner"...
california rolls and  raw veggie combo.

OMG... MM I went looking for some more milk videos, which prompted me to start the thread...  Foods that could be unsafe... OMG!

Mixey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2008 at 6:40pm

Saturday 8:35pm

I trying to figure out what to eat right now... nothing is appealing to me at this moment, stomach is in a bit of a knot from not eating all day, so i know i have to come up with something... might just do the chicken thing again, but I just don't feel like making it...
Ok, so I'll stop typing here, and just go freakin' do it.

toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2008 at 7:05pm
    Saturday 7:30pm
 Just got back from the biggest cruise-car show in the world.
    Had a hot dog and chips for lunch + tomato juice.
  Couldn't concive of cooking, so I had a pizza hut personal pan pizza
[a little guy], and a Budwiser.  I always get real dehydrated out in the sun, so I will probably drink about ten glasses of water tonight.

toad-out
M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 17 2008 at 3:22am
I had a really good dinner out tonight. . . Ginger beef at a very good place in Chinatown (LA) called WON KOK.  I've been going to that place since the 80's. . . looks like a dive. . . always excellent food.

The fortune cookies said:

""You have a strong desire for personal freedom"
"You express yourself with charm and humor"

I'm not so sure about the charm part. . . but the rest is all good with me. . .lol

Geno. . . you need to remember to EAT my firend!!

Toad. . . Pizza Hut is so friggin' confusing, ever since they started with the stuffed crusts and all.  I like their plain pizza.  And a beer sounds really good. . . but I just drank a whole bottle of champagne, so I have a feeling it'll have to wait for pizza night.  lol

Maybe I'll do pizza tomorrow.  I'm getting hungry again!

Mixey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2008 at 7:20am

M i x e y !!!

***LOL***
"...but I just drank a whole bottle of champagne..." ***LOL**
I love it in You that occasionally. You'll pick a very safe situation to once in a while, let Your hair down a bit and go for that Champagne buzz...
and OMG do You get funny in those times while the emotions flood out in every direction...
Punctuation, spelling goes right out the window, or over the balcony as it may be, and here come the funny triple entendrés...

"Geno. . . you need to remember to EAT my firend!!"

*lol* So what's for dinner? Love it, You cannibal, You! *lol*

Laughing here... LoveYa!!!
Geno

toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2008 at 9:26am
     Mixey convinced me to get some Chinese takeout.
    Last night it was Steak Kow,Chicken fried rice,Egg roll, and a dinner roll.
 I still have plenty left-over for tonight.
      All of that soy sauce had me drinking water like a fool. I love good
Chinese, and there are plenty of good Chinese places near me.
   My favorite place changed hands, and the quality went out the door with the old owner. He made the absolute BEST egg rolls of all times.
  Hand made little numbers that were too good to describe. He also
hand made his hot mustard and plum sauce that he served with them.
    The hot mustard would cross your eyes, and clean out your nasal
passages, and the plum sauce was magic.
     It makes me think that good cooks should never die, and never retire.
  If I ever make it to heaven, I must discuss this with my maker.
     It ain't fair !!!!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2008 at 9:41am

Ok... I Have to Say... Last Night's Dinner Was To Die For!

First of all, I must say this...

Thank You, to both Toad & M i x e y
for inspiring me to try cooking things.
I used to say "i suck at cooking"... but, not anymore... I'm trying, and having fun learning what fun stuff I can come up with! Cool!

What I have done is very simple... I try stick to a few that things that I know work well for me, to cook stuff that I can usually easily obtain predictable outcome results. and keep making them even better... and still be able to enjoy who is here with me at the time!

It working for me, and I'm learning and enjoying this. Cooking "cave man style over a real wood fire" *lol* on the 'D'Street deck and all that this environment's ambiance adds naturally to the cooking experience... so works well for me.

Ok, so yesterday afternoon/last night, my Daughter, Jessie (who I simply love to death who is 21 now and all grown up) came over to hang out with me.

The weather: Stunningly perfect August weather... warm, clear skies, etc.

I told her that'd I'd cook her a good steak dinner. She was totally into it and said "show me what you do". So here it is:

I first walked around here in the woods and collected some dried, fallen tree branches and wood (walnut, pine, oak, kindling, whatever) and broke them up to size. I took about 6 charcoal brickettes, and stacked some wood on top in the "modified upgraded grill" and lit the fire. I also sprinkled garlic powder over the wood. Just stop right here for a second and imagine just how good this smells in the fresh woodsy open air. Your mouth starts salivating before any food even comes out! *lol*

I opened two icey, chilled Coronas for us and told Jess to hit the hammock with some shrimp and hot cocktail sauce while I got stuff underway.

She was stunned at how friendly the local animals/birds/wildlife are around here... hawks soaring in the blue skies above, and our resident dove's came right over and landed on the railing two feet away from her. I told her that they were born right in the pine tree across the deck this spring, and we've watched them since being "eggs". *lol*
No music needed the serene sounds of the woods filled the air. Really cool.

Ok back to what I cooked and, right or wrong, how I did it.

i took out two "organically raised", beautiful looking, fresh beef eye round steaks. I took a sharp knife and poked some holes on the top side of both steaks, then (marinaded them?) adding
some white merlot, then sprinkled on fresh ground pepper, then covering them with garlic powder, and finally added a light coating of Stubbs hot and spicy BBQ sauce... and let them sit until we were ready to get them over the fire.

We also got the fresh broccoli, carrots and cauliflower prepared for steaming, and did the mashed potatoes in the microwave thing again... adding garlic, fresh ground pepper and butter.

Everything was cooking nicely, and was ready at the same time.

I always have to forget something... and I forgot to do this, which i tried the other night, and loved... I took a few slices of whole grain oat nut bread, and heated them up on the grill right over the open fire flame... turning them often... then add butter when toasted with another sprinkle of garlic powder... and OMG... sooo simple, so good.

I like simple. I like good! *lol*

When everything was cooked and ready, I threw a few good sized logs on the fire , got a good blaze going, and we sat down to eat as the sun was setting to the west... beautiful pink and oranges glowing in the sunset sky... as the sound of the daylight animals and birds gently yielded to the night crew cricket and singing Cicadas chorus with the occasional Hoot Owl Solo taking over...
...with no holds barred conversation between us about everything in life, love and the pursuit of happiness. (((Too funny!))) Fantastic fun!

For desert, I was going to make what is becoming a simple favorite around here lately, that I tried before... but we were both too full. *lol*
It would have been...

Haagen Dazs Vanilla Ice Cream with lots of shaved chocolate and Disaronno Amaretto poured over top in a chilled/frozen clear glass coffee mug. Yum!

So then it was time for us to both hit the Hammock ... and watch the stars come out, the bats flying over head in the moonlight and then enjoy the main even... just after the sun sets... like clockwork, eveynight...

The "D"Street flying squirrels!
Marty caught some of our Flying Squirrels here on video a few weeks back...

(Jess couldn't believe how cool this is to watch happen!)

We had a ball. What a cool way to enjoy a beautiful August summer evening!
And I want everybody over here tomorrow night for dinner!
(Oh how I wish we all could!)

~BigSmiles&LoveToAll~
Geno

dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2008 at 10:01am
OMG!!!!!

Y'all are makiong me soooooooooooooo hungry!!!  Geno, your descriptions are a trip!!

I've said before I don't cook.  It's really true for the most part.  I'm in diet mode now, taking off the lbs I put on during the winter.  I'm good at taking it off, but when I get that nesting instinct in the winter, I start making pot roast with all the veggies and gravy and lots of other fattening things.

I'm going to try very hard not to gain again this year,  Once I reach my goal weight, I'm going to try to maintain with Lean Cuisines, my own lpw fat soups, etc..

Dinner for me most nights is some salmon over greens of some sort with those salad spritzer dressings.

dream
http://cdbaby.com/cd/eugenepitt
toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2008 at 10:48am
        Geno,
     I don't know what the situation is in your neck of the woods,
but if you want to get the most flavor out of cooking with wood,
 try finding some cherry wood, or apple wood that is a little green.
  A thick porkchop, cooked over apple wood will be the best that
ever crossed your lips. No exotic spices...just salt and cracked pepper.
   The cherry wood is the best for steaks, but apple works for them too.
  If the wood is damp, it will smoke more, and add more smokey
flavor. It is worth the effort to find a source for this wood if you can.
    Some places sell cherry and apple wood "Chips" in a bag like
Charcoal. They will work good too. After you get a good fire going,
add the wet chips for the smoke effect, and drop the lid on the
cooker for a little while after the meat is nearly finished cooking.
      Your cook-outs with you daughter will be in her memory
bank forever. She has a great Daddy.

toad
MickeyMac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickeyMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2008 at 12:51pm
I think dinner is going to end up being cereal again.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2008 at 8:59pm

Ok ...

Updates...

Toad... not to many apple trees close around here, (Toad, here's an overhead shot of some of the woods here at 'D'Street from 30,000 miles out in space from Google Earth... note my car..
I guess am here today *lol*)

...but..
I'm looking around here, want to try apple wood too.
Walnut tree wood burns great though... and we've got lots fallen branch wood from them, oak, fir, maple, tulip and poplar too! We broke out the reciprocal saw to cut the hardwood into perfect size for cooking and fire burning.
Maniacs!

Monday Night:
I did a "cook up left over Pizza with everything on it" on the wood fire grill for Jill & Marty!!!!! Fantastic!!! Gonna try pizza from scratch next time...

Tuesday Night:
After my sessions... Steaks to perfection on the wood fire grill ...

Wednesday Night:
After my sessions today.... Good old cheese burgers, (Natures Promise Beef Patties, no hormones, no antibiotics, vegetarian diet fed organic raised, whatever!) ... with a fresh greens salad, 'D'Street deck grown cherry tomatoes... with a bottle of Corona... followed with shot glass of Courvoisier Cognac to toast the post sunset massive pink orange glow in the sky!

I stayed out in the crisp night air on the hammock with blankets and the fire going... crystal clear skies, just watching the stars and the flying squirrels, listening to nature, and thinking for a few long hours tonight.
Beautiful out there!
*lol*
I soooo love summer!

(((I'm getting full from actually eating this week, but still can't put weight on!))) *lol*
Maybe I'll move up to two meals a day...
Geno

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
  Share Topic