Soulful Planet  Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Soul of Six > Music Meccas > PHILLY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

W.D.A.S. Historical Piece

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phillysoulman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: W.D.A.S. Historical Piece
    Posted: Jan 04 2008 at 2:01am

Here is a lovely pictorial history about Philadelphia's premier radio station,W.D.A.S.

Enjoy! http://www.wdashistory.org/5.html
"Professionals built the Titanic, but amateurs built the Ark"
s. p. a. t. View Drop Down
AdminTeam
AdminTeam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s. p. a. t. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2008 at 7:19am
WOW I didn't expect to read that kind of comprehensive historical news associated with a radio station!

Excellent link! ClapClapClap
Coolgeorge
Gene_Leone_Mix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2008 at 7:28am
Hi Bobby!

Wow! This is a cool tribute to a station right here in our own home town,
'DAS has been a standard fixture on the FM dial in Philly forever.
Definitely a "button set" for WDAS-FM existed on every car radio I have ever owned.

Great to see "Jocko" (Doug "Jocko" Henderson, Sr.) in there too. I worked with him many times in the 70's and 80's at Alpha and Sigma doing Educational "Rap" Programs "Get Ready" with a live rhythm section as Jocko rapped history and math, etc., (see here) for the kids, and WDAS radio spots too. What a Great Guy!

Thanks for posting this!
~Smiles~
Geno
M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2008 at 6:03pm
Great site Bobby.  Thanks for putting it up here!

"One Radio Station's Role in the History of the Civil Rights and Peace Movements"

The documents section particularly has a wonderful tribute to *DAS dated Oct 18th 2007.

WDAS was hugely instrumental in providing a broadcast voice to Malcolm X and Dr. Martin Luther King and many other important civil rights pioneers in especially the 60s. The station was also responsible for keeping the city together after the assassinations.

Excellent information.

and . . . Who in Philly could ever forget "The man with the goods Georgie Woods".  Same site as yours Geno. . .Broadcast Pioneers:

Mixey
phillysoulman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phillysoulman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2008 at 3:52am

Interestingly,in the early days of  WDAS, when they were still located in downtown Philly, they broadcasted a lot of Yiddish programs for the large, older Jewish ,eastern European immigrant communities prevelant in Philly at the time.

In fact,my father used to listen in all the time.
They had Yiddish music,comedy,news and other pertinent Jewish oriented topics
"Professionals built the Titanic, but amateurs built the Ark"
M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2008 at 9:23am
It's interesting reading about that Bobby. . . not surprising, given the names associated with this station and the obvious cultural mix in Philly. 

However, it's very cool to note that the station openly promoted those groups in their broadcast lineup. 

Most of the comedians of the day were Jewish; and although that Yiddish humor was all over TV and radio, not too many stations openly spoke of it as such, in a cultural sense.

Mixey
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic