Soulful Planet  Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Soul of Six > The Village
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - ~Wacky Weather~ MONSTER STORMS & Hurricanes !!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

~Wacky Weather~ MONSTER STORMS & Hurricanes !!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ~Wacky Weather~ MONSTER STORMS & Hurricanes !!!
    Posted: Sep 04 2007 at 9:05am

~Wacky Weather~

2007 Style...
"Hurricane Felix
made landfall in Nicaragua
around 7:45 a.m. Eastern Time
as a Category 5 storm
with top winds at 160 mph (260 km/h),
according to the U.S. National Hurricane Center."

Hurricane Felix. Image courtesy of wunderground.com

"Coming just two weeks after Hurricane Dean hit Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula,
Felix is the second Category 5 storm to hit Central America this year.

It is the first time on record that two Category 5 storms have made landfall in a single hurricane season, according to the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
Hurricane Dean was the third most intense Atlantic hurricane to make landfall.
"

also...
"Three Category 5 Hurricanes have
made landfall in the United States
since 1900."

(...as in like almost, EVER!)

the article also adds...

"Scientists note that Felix has made landfall at an unusually low altitude for a Category 5 hurricane."

(Read full article from - Mongabay.com - "one of the most popular environmental science sites on the Web".)
~~~~

Strange... (2) Cat 5 hurricanes, in two weeks...
Imagine (2) "New Orleans - Katrina style" disasters,
hitting the US,
two weeks apart.

Is our planet possibly telling us something here?

Various Decree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Various Decree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 04 2007 at 11:30pm
we are into the fs only-- and all of this is not good
john
" Each Man Is His Own Monarch "
Gene_Leone_Mix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 17 2007 at 10:07pm

— Waterspouts —

As Frightening yet Fascinating
as these might be up close...

(Video taken: Adriatic sea, Croatia, between islands Hvar and Brac
just above village Murvica beach on Island Brac.)

Would You run... or want to stay to see what happens next?

Singapore waterspout on 5/25/07

— Alanya, Turkey —

...on the beach in Alanya, Turkey 10/19/06

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 17 2007 at 10:54pm
Yikes!!!

All aboard???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2010 at 3:36pm
Once again... Wacky Weather! 2010 style...

Look at this!
Google - Floods 2010

with titles including...

• Heavy rains in Singapore bring 'unusual' floods
• State Police Identify 20 Victims of Arkansas Flash Floods
• Floods take down bridge in Oklahoma
• French storms and floods kill 19
• Flooding to Continue over Southeast China
• Floods force Alcoa to idle Spanish smelter

One report from this list states:
- Freak floods in US predicted by 2009 climate change report -
Jeremy Hance
mongabay.com
June 16, 2010

"— A rash of flash floods has struck the US during this spring: Rhode Island, Tennessee, Arkansas, and most recently Oklahoma have all faced devastating floods that have resulted in the loss of property and in some cases tragic deaths. While flash floods have occurred throughout US history, the number of big floods this year appears abnormal at best, but not unexpected by researchers. Climatologists warned last year that an increase in floods and severe storms is very probable as the world warms."

"A US report commissioned by the Bush Administration in 2007 and released in 2009 warned that the United States would see greater incidences of severe weather and heavier rainfall. The report, which looked at the US regionally, predicted that more precipitation in winter and spring in the Midwest would lead to increased flooding. In addition, the report predicted increases in flooding and sever weather for the Southeast. "

"The report stated that "the amount of rain falling in the heaviest downpours has increased approximately 20 percent on average in the past century, and this trend is very likely to continue, with the largest increases in the wettest places." ..."

"At the time of the report's release, Evan Mills, a Berkley scientist and contributor said: "This is the most thorough and up-to-date review ever assembled of climate-change impacts observed to date as well as those anticipated in the future across the United States."

The science of climate change and increased flooding is straightforward: ... ..." - Freak floods in US predicted by 2009 climate change report - (continued here)

and...

and...

— The South of France —

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2011 at 9:43am
— Meteorologist on Severe Weather:
'We Have Never Seen a Year Like This Before'

PBSNewsHour on May 30, 2011 —

and...

Related Photos of the Tornado Devestation in Joplin (click here)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 22 2011 at 3:28pm
Well Everybody...
The 2011 Weather continues to be Wacky, for sure!

Now it's the H E A T W A V E !!!!

Wow, it might be time for all of us Philly Peeps
to start pondering a mass migration
to a cooler, Arctic Climate...
like Southern San Diego or Florida! *LoL*

~Stay Cool, Geno

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 25 2011 at 10:31pm
Well EAST COAST... batten down the hatches,,, here we go! 2011

Hurricane Irene is (so far) making a bee line directly for us on the East Coast..

The FUN just keeps on keeping on... (((NOT!))) ...and people are still freaked out and uneasy about the Mag 5.9 Earthquake this week and aftershocks...

Now we get to experience the joy of very real, very severe... winds of 50 to 100+ MPH, 5 to 12 INCHES of rain, flooding, mandatory evacuations of entire counties, possible tornados & power blackouts... and on and on.

I seriously hope that something pushes this "Hurricane Irene" far out to sea at the last minute... but the odds are highly against that happening for this hurricane, which is predicted to track much more west over land, than... almost ever on record, for the NorthEast.

The constant thunderstorms that are unrelated to the coming Hurricane have the ground super soaked and saturated already...
and this "thing" is on the way.

My phone lines were out earlier today, but back after a few hours... and we lost power a few brief times this week with lightning storms.
Keep in mind... the eye of the Hurricane is still south of Florida right now.

Imagine what Friday, Saturday & Sunday are going to be like as it heads up this way for a direct hit along the I-95 corridor... like they are calling for.

Jeez!

It looks like it's gonna make quite a mess. Wish us luck!

Look at these predictions from The Weather Channel.
_

_
- http://www.weather.com/weather/hurricanecentral/article/tropical-depression-nine-storm-hurricane-irene_2011-08

also the video coverage from the Weather Channel is here:

__
http://www.weather.com/weather/videos/news-41/top-stories-169/hurricane-irene-called-extreme-threat-6584

and the good old faithful ...
KYW NewsRadio 1060 (Philly)
live stream of live coverage is here, through out it all:
-- KYW NewsRadio 1060 (Philly) Listen LIVE (click here) --

and/or:

— KYW NewsRadio 1060 Live —

Hoping for the best for all of us through this weekend.
Stay Safe Everybody,
~MuchLove &
          Peace, Gene

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 25 2011 at 11:59pm
Oh and by the way...

Never a Dull Moment here on the D'Street Deck!

Look what I "caught"
while looking through the screen door
the other night here...

First this...

Then this...

— Photos: Gene_Leone_Mix - D'Street Deck - Aug 2011 —

...any questions?

Never a dull moment on the good old
D'Street Deck!
~Gene

— Photos: Gene_Leone_Mix - Aug 2011 —

dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2011 at 8:47am

Thank you, Geno, and I hope everyone in the path of Irene stays safe and sound.  Hope all have made the necessary preparations and no one leaves their pets outside during the storm.  Peace, love & blessings to all.Heart

dream

http://cdbaby.com/cd/eugenepitt
toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2011 at 1:31pm
          If you are in the path of the Hurricane...
                  Remember this:

"It's not the hundred mile an hour winds that
 will get you..." "It's the VOLVO that the wind is blowing
 down the street that will take you out ! "   ~ Ron White ~ Ouch

toad
Down, and nearly out in Detroit......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2011 at 3:05pm
THIS IS a REPOST (duplicate) from the "Earthquake, Tsunamis and Voclanos" Thread...
Earthquake, Tsunamis and Voclanos (click here)

~~~~~Post Eastcoast Earthquake to Hurricane Irene Stuff~~~~~~~~

Hi Mixey, Jeff, Dream, Toad, SoulSister & Everybody...

Quick note ... just got back to D'Street... exhausted... (what day of the week is it now?)... I'll never forget "Hurricane Irene", the winds, the rain, the blackout, the flooding in the dark... by flashlight...that's for sure.

Everybody in the family is safe and ok, but wow... what a nightmare storm this was to deal with.

PECO assured us that power should be back on there (in Ridley) in early September. Big shout outs and huge thanks to the fire company crew that showed up with 2 trucks to help us bail out the basement the next day in Ridley at my Mother in Laws's house.

We all bunkerd in at my Mother in Law's house (Ridley Township), knowing that this house would require the most active, non-stop defending from the flooding through out the storm.   
More on that whole story after much more coffee.

Back here at good ole' D'Street... things went very well as far as the hurricane was concerned, Marty held down the fort well, and so far, beyond the power outage, very little storm, wind or flooding damage resulting... in town, on the other side of the mountain... in the lower lying areas next to the Schuylkill River by Fayette Street Bridge, I hear it's a totally different story!!!

~~~~~~ 1:31PM Wednesday ~~~~~~
UPDATE: OMG!!!! (I am now reading all of the previous posts in this thread from the past few days... OMG!)

MIXEY!!!! Great talking to YOU today!!! also YES... The video of Conshochocken... Fayette Street Bridge over the Skyukill River over flowing it banks by thousands of feet on each side... big flooding... (((This is exactly where I take my walks every week by the tree line!))) I'm watching this now, going... going Wow!!! Havent been over there since I got back here late last night...
More video of it, here also

...and the one that Mixey posted...

JEFF!!!! Glad you are ok through all of this mayhem... !!! Calling You also...

DREAM!!! Glad that You are ok!!!

TOAD!!!   YOU ROCK!!!

Hi Mixey, Jeff, Dream, Toad, SoulSister & Everybody...

Quick note ... just got back to D'Street... exhausted... (what day of the week is it now?)... I'll never forget "Hurricane Irene", the winds, the rain, the blackout, the flooding in the dark... by flashlight...that's for sure.

Everybody in the family is safe and ok, but wow... what a nightmare storm this was to deal with.

PECO assured us that power should be back on there (in Ridley) in early September. Big shout outs and huge thanks to the fire company crew that showed up with 2 trucks to help us bail out the basement the next day in Ridley at my Mother in Laws's house.

We all bunkerd in at my Mother in Law's house (Ridley Township), knowing that this house would require the most active, non-stop defending from the flooding through out the storm.   
More on that whole story after much more coffee.

Back here at good ole' D'Street... things went very well as far as the hurricane was concerned, Marty held down the fort well, and so far, beyond the power outage, very little storm, wind or flooding damage resulting... in town, on the other side of the mountain... in the lower lying areas next to the Schuylkill River by Fayette Street Bridge, I hear it's a totally different story!!!

~~~~~~ 1:31PM Wednesday ~~~~~~
UPDATE: OMG!!!! (I am now reading all of the previous posts in this thread from the past few days... OMG!)

MIXEY!!!! Great talking to YOU today!!! also YES... The video of Conshochocken... Fayette Street Bridge over the Skyukill River over flowing it banks by thousands of feet on each side... big flooding... (((This is exactly where I take my walks every week by the tree line!))) I'm watching this now, going... going Wow!!! Havent been over there since I got back here late last night...
More video of it, here also

...and the one that Mixey posted...

JEFF!!!! Glad you are ok through all of this mayhem... !!! Calling You also...

DREAM!!! Glad that You are ok!!!

TOAD!!!   YOU ROCK!!!

SOULSISTER!!! YOU were right... Irene was NOT interested in saying Goodnight!

Getting coffee... more of it....

Every muscle in my body is sore ***LoL**** Taking a day off to rest today, and it's good to be back at D'Street...

I'll keep updating stuff... and resting, too. Learned alot in this hurricane.

More later.
~MuchLove To All,
Geno
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

also for more posts about all of this... Go to: Earthquake, Tsunamis and Voclanos (click here)

Like I said... I need a nap!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2011 at 4:31pm
The Big Picture of Hurricane Irene...
Wow!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2011 at 2:27pm
Ok.

It's now a few days before Halloween 2011...

the fall leaves are still yellow/green on the trees...

and most leaves have not yet begun to fall...

and... wait a minuite...

Say WHAT!...

HOW MANY INCHES OF SNOW are ON THE WAY for the NorthEast???

_
...oh joy, and power failures, too!   
(click to watch the wacky weather forcast)

Jeez!!! Winter wants to be back in a major way.
Lovely. Just freakin' LOVELY!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2011 at 1:01pm
They weren't kidding...

Woke up to this...
looking out the kitchen window,
leaves on the trees not yet fallen,
the fall colors covered in white, HEAVY wet snow and ice,
bending the hell out of the branches...

with lots more on the way...

It's still October, right?

Good day for a random mid afternoon Nor'easter nap!

dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2011 at 5:23pm
Thought this was appropriate.  Just took it from a friend on FB. LOL

http://cdbaby.com/cd/eugenepitt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 30 2011 at 7:08pm
*LoL*
Dream!!!

Yes. It's hard to believe that this is not yet "winter"!

We got hammered here at D'Street with the snow and ice... and (4) trees very close to the house crashing down with the weight of the snow and ice on the leaves of the trees... our road was completly closed for a few hours until the bulldozers showed up to help clear some of the road... (see pics below)...

These pics are after hours of work cleaning up today... and 2 of the trees are still on Marty's trailer...

also here's the news report of this strange Nor'Easter in October 2011...

– Click to watch the snow in October mayhem -

Some 'day after' Pics,
After much of the snow and ice melted...

(Snow on still green leaves always looks strange!)

...So,
is it gonna be
a long winter
of
~Wacky Weather~?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 01 2011 at 6:51pm
December 2011...
And now it's California's turn with
the Wacky Weather
...Cue the Santa Ana Wacky Winds from Hell...

Watch the MSNBC Nightly News Video Coverage (Click Here)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2012 at 10:35am
July 1st. 2012...

The Heat Wave continues...

––••––

No escape from the heat: Fifteen dead and THREE MILLION left without power after violent storms as temperatures reach up to 117F on holiday weekend
- Fifteen dead across the country as crippling heat and storms sweep nation
- Multiple cities topped June highs, with mercury in Norton Dam, Kansas climbing to 117; was 104 degrees in Washington, D.C.
- West Virginia, Virginia, and Ohio declared states of emergency
Massive D.C. storm also swept out Amazon's Cloud, leaving thousands without internet services like Netflix, Pinterest, and Instagram
- Storms also delayed Amtrak travel along Eastern Seaboard
Read more: HERE

_
Click here to read

––••––
.. Crazy extremes, yes... and... Who would ever think that the very coolest places in the continental US, right now... would be... ummm...
San Diego, San Francisco, etc...?
*lol* Wow!

And the day is yet young! *lol*
Temp right now is actually 94° in the shade here, right now, and has already climbed a few degrees since this screen grab...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2012 at 12:49am

—July 6th, 2012—

Hundreds of thousands without power brace for more blistering heat
By the CNN Wire Staff
updated 1:46 AM EDT, Fri July 6, 2012
CNN Extreme Heat Story (HERE)

—"(CNN) -- Another day of blistering heat, and for hundreds of thousands, no power."

"That's the expectation Friday, (July 6th, 2012) when thermometers once again teeter above the 100-degree mark, from St. Louis to Baltimore and many communities in between."

"More than 549,000 customers had no power Thursday night in 11 states and the District of Columbia, officials said.
The situation is particularly dire in places such as Fayette County, West Virginia, where about two-thirds of its 46,000 residents had no electricity, according to Theresa White, emergency management director.
Hundreds of thousands in West Virginia and other states will mark a week without power Friday after destructive storms barreled east from Indiana toward New Jersey. Others had their lights on, only to have them knocked out by more recent storms also fueled in part by the extreme heat. ... ..."

CNN Extreme Heat Story, continued (HERE)

––••––

We had a power blackout yesterday (Thursday) afternoon here at D'Street for a little while... no damage (so far), except that one of the TV's has been coming on and off all by itself... numerous times this evening... at random.
Very spooky to say the least.

Solar flares, perhaps??? Let's look...

––••––

Well damn, what do Ya know... Solar Flares today...
could this be wierdly related to the TV going on and off all by itself?
I hope not!

––••––

Active sunspot fires off another intense solar flare
Latest in this series of powerful storms triggers
a moderate radio blackout

updated 7/5/2012 5:45:17 PM ET
MSNBC.com

—"The sun fired off yet another intense solar flare Thursday, the latest in a series of storms from a busy sunspot being closely watched by space telescopes and astronomers."

"NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory snapped a daunting new image of a strong M-class solar flare that peaked this morning at 7:44 a.m. EDT. The M6.1 flare triggered a moderate radio blackout that has since subsided, according to officials at NASA and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). ... ..."

msnbc.com - Active sunspot fires off another intense solar flare (full story here)

msnbc.com - Active sunspot fires off another intense solar flare (full story here)

––••––

Yikes... Happy Summer "2012"...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic