Soulful Planet  Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Soul of Six > Music Meccas > DETROIT
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Underrated DETROIT-MOTOWN ARTISTS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doowop45s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2008 at 8:16am
Satintones

Anybody here have any communication with Chico Leverett lately?  Up until last summer, we (Jim and I) had continuous friendship and contact with Chico since we met him personally during our trip to Detriot in 1998---  then suddenly - nothing!!  He's been off email for over a year now, and both phone numbers we have for him are "not in service" or "disconnected".  I saw on Sixties a few months ago that he was at the BG Street naming event in Detroit this past fall, and was identified in Sis Detroit's photo by Spyder Turner.  I have written (snail mail) to Chico several times, with no response.  I'm not getting any straight answers from Jim Ellis, just that he hadn't heard from him in some time and would "look into it" (?????).      Spyder?  Sue?  Anyone?  Have any info and/or NEW contact info for Chico?  TIA
Keeping da music ALIVE til I'm a hundred and FIVE!
kitten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kitten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 20 2008 at 5:07am
I'm not sure if I will or can say these artist were underrated. I know these artist started out early when Berry Gordy was building the company
 from the ground up much to his and his family's credit

How About....

Mable John
Satintones
Creations
Choker Campbell
Valadiers.....and other earlier vocal harmony groups.

Can anyone here fill in any missing names I may have left out?

kiten

when you have friends who needs enemies.
kitten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kitten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 20 2008 at 5:13am
I heard  some La Brenda Ben and Liz Lands material...I was impressed.

kitten
kitten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kitten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 20 2008 at 5:19am
Hattie Littles that recorded briefly with Hitsville reminds me of Chicago singer Mitty Collier alot in her r&b/soul vocal approach, oh yes.

kitten
MickeyMac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickeyMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 20 2008 at 6:50am
Nick & the Jaguars

Paul Peterson

The Underdogs

Man we covered a lot of Motown folks here, not sure how many are left we havent covered.
kitten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kitten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2008 at 4:01am
I think you are right about rhat, MickeyMac.

I got one more name that ought to ring a bell. They we're a rock & roll band that had a Everly Brothers influenced sound. I heard a complete soundbyte up to 3-4 songs on them, they were - Mike & The Modifiers.
One song that stands out I recall is entitled "I Found A Brand New Baby" 
i think came out on Tamla??

kitten
MickeyMac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickeyMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2008 at 8:52am
Havent heard about those guys.   Wonder if they are on any of those Motown boxed sets.
MickeyMac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickeyMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2008 at 5:25am

Jimmy Ruffin from Swingin Time, a local Detroit TV show. If Sue and Toad are watching I bet they remember this show and its host Robin Seymour.
toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2008 at 8:18am
   MickeyMac,
 Our highschool group "The Electra's" played on that show, and the guest
singer that day was Dione Warwick.."Walk on by" had just been released.
   Ray Monette was our lead guitar player. Good memories!!
 toad
Down, and nearly out in Detroit......
MickeyMac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickeyMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 06 2008 at 7:27am
Awesome Toad
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic