Soulful Planet  Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Soul of Six > Music Meccas
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CHICAGO

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Don1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CHICAGO
    Posted: Feb 11 2009 at 2:01pm
Hi Gene, long time no hear from. Yes, I'm aware of this ordinence and I been hearing about this for almost 2 yrs, now. The artist that we're shown and I know about and I met a few of them. Handful of Chicago Members on SDF and I are supportive of these artist. Mayor Daily is an assho and somebody needs to investigate and oust his ass from office, like they did the Gov.

I understand how they feel. We all are just hanging in there. A lot of Chgo artist have no other options to tour out of town most of the time, in order to make a living. It's not like they want to move or to tour away from Chgo - that's just the way it is. Ouch

- Don
Gene_Leone_Mix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2009 at 11:18am

Music & Creative People... Listen to what is being said here,
and going down in Chicago!

— The Chicago Promoters Ordinance Kills Independent Music: A D —

Chicago Promoters Ordinance Kills Independent Music - JaGoFF Documentary Video
(click the pic to watch)

JaGoFF in conjunction with www.TheRecordIndustry.com ...
"This ordinance is a threat to the creative communities throughout the country and sets a very dangerous precedent - as one city goes, so goes the rest." "will pretty much drop a bomb on Chicago's independent music community, if not nuke it entirely." - Jim DeRogatis, Chicago Sun-Times

"...as written, it is unconstitutional." - Henry H. Perritt, Jr., Professor of Law, Chicago-Kent College of Law "The ordinance will reduce the amount of music in Chicago, make events more expensive for consumers, dampen the large and growing economic engine that is Chicago music, and create a much less supportive business climate for Chicago's small music business community." - The Chicago Music Commission

For more info on the Promoters Ordinance & what YOU can do to help, go to: http://www.TheRecordIndustry.com/chicago-promoters-ordinance.htm«
and
   JaGoFF on MySpace -"Support Independent Music or be force-fed CRAP...
DIY or DIE"

M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2008 at 4:24pm
The Jesus Lizard

Alkaline Trio

... Smile

Mixey
MickeyMac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickeyMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2008 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by donn donn wrote:

In the genre of rock groups....

Styx

Cheap Trick

Chicago

Baby Huey and the Babysitters

Smashing Pumpkins

REO Speedwagan

Throw in the Shadows of Knight too.
Don1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2008 at 11:09am
In the genre of rock groups....

Styx

Cheap Trick

Chicago

Baby Huey and the Babysitters

Smashing Pumpkins

REO Speedwagan
Soul Sister View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2008 at 5:25pm
LOL@M.M.,
  Sure we can agree to disagree happily.    You know how fond dream & I are of you!

M.M., thank you for the dance, don't know if Jimmy would mind or not, lol, he is very kind and obliging yet of old school of thought when it comes to his woman, lol.  I'll have to ask him.

Thank you M.M., for the clips of The 5 Stairsteps, my favorite kiddie group who sang soo grown up!

"World Of Fantasy" is my most favorite after "You Waited Too Long", love them both!!!

S.S.
"Love Is The Answer" ~ Little Jeanie Scott
MickeyMac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickeyMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2008 at 4:26pm

More Five Stairsteps from Where The Action Is
MickeyMac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickeyMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2008 at 4:24pm

Take two "World of Fantasy" from Where The Action Is Thank you Dick Clark!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MickeyMac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickeyMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2008 at 4:18pm

Here is another one for you Soul Sister

The Five Stairsteps doing "World of Fantasy"   This one is my fave from them, all I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Sends chivers down my spine.

Soul Sister would Mr. Scott mind if you and I slow danced to this one lol
MickeyMac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickeyMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2008 at 4:16pm
Yeah Soul Sister we better agree to disagree about this one.
Don1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2008 at 7:19am
I don't wanna rehash the debate, the reasons, and the real TRUTH- your both are right.

Peace,

- Don 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2008 at 5:25am
M.M.,
Staples were 'OLDER' but weren't as famous 'first',  their big hit came later after The 5 Stairsteps had numerous hits.......

S.S.
MickeyMac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickeyMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2008 at 6:54am
Gotta disagree with you Soul Sister, I still say it was the Staples because they were around longer!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2008 at 5:41am
Good info M.M., on all the artists who recorded on Chicago Labels.

M.M., "The First Family of Soul" was the moniker of 'The 5 Stairsteps' back in the day before the Staples became well-known.  That's how they were 'introduced on live stage shows' and later on the family album.

I saw them onstage and hangin' backstage at many shows back then, with Papa Burke.

S.S.
MickeyMac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickeyMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2008 at 6:03am
Now about two other cool labels

VeeJay:   Look: The Spaniels, The El Doradoes, Jimmy Reed, John Lee Hooker, The Staple Singers, The Magnificents, The Dells, Dee Clark, Eddie Harris, Jerry Butler, Gene Chandler, Betty Everett, The Four Seasons, and VeeJay was the first record label in America to put out a record by the Beatles. In the 13 years of their existence (1953-1966), they did so much. Its sad because today VeeJay founders James and Vivian Braken are pretty much forgotten about.

Then there are the Onederful and Marvelus labels.

I havent even gotten to the rock and roll part of Chicago yet.
MickeyMac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickeyMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2008 at 5:57am
Okay I like the Five Stairsteps(particularly their Windy C stuff), but I gotta tell you, I would vote the Staple Singers as the first family of soul even back when they were singing gospel. After all soul music is mainly from the church, and the Staples are Chicago bred to boot.

About Chicago lets not forget the blues roots:

Chess Records with Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, Willie Dixon, Little Walter, Sonny Boy Williamson, Koko Taylor.   This music made the Rolling Stones. Not to mention that Chess also had The Moonglows, The Flamingos, Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley, Dale Hawkins, The Monotones, The Vibrations, Etta James, The Dells, Ramsey Lewis, The Radiants, Tony Clarke, Fontella Bass, Billy Stewart and others.

Say what you want to about the Chess brothers, but man they knew how to make some great records

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2008 at 5:38am

THE KITTENS

THE VOWS

THE MAJORS/ MAJORS IV

S.S.

kitten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kitten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2007 at 4:26am
Betty Everett

Geraldine Hunt

Josephine Taylor

Miki Howard

Phil Upchurch

Bernard Purdie

Bobby Hutton

Jenniffer Hutson

Dick Gregory

Oscar Brown Jnr

Andre Williams
when you have friends who needs enemies.
kitten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kitten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2007 at 8:17am
The Emotions

Chaka Khan and Taka Boom

LaVern Baker

Dinah Washington

Albert Ammons

Gene Ammons

Chi-Lites

Heaven and Earth

Joyce Kennedy

Minnie Riperton

Holly Maxwell

Jan Bradley

to name a few....
kitten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kitten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2007 at 8:36am
My husband was responsible for bringing for bringing Billy Butler and the whole Northsiders and the Chi-Lites, and others to work with manager, and not the other way around SS.

Kitten
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic