Soulful Planet  Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Soul of Six > Music General > Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top R&B/Soul Albums of the 70s

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gua1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top R&B/Soul Albums of the 70s
    Posted: Mar 27 2009 at 9:46am
"Soul Tracks" had a survey of the top Soul albums of the 70's take a look (70s Soul Album)

What are your thoughts??
Laughter is the music of the soul (Gua's Blog)
dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2009 at 10:46am
Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuum

It's a pretty good list overall.  I'd put Marvin Gaye's "What's Goin' On" at number 1.  I was pleased to see he made it several times.

dream
http://cdbaby.com/cd/eugenepitt
Gua1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gua1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2009 at 10:54am
Originally posted by dream207 dream207 wrote:

Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuum

It's a pretty good list overall.  I'd put Marvin Gaye's "What's Goin' On" at number 1.  I was pleased to see he made it several times.

dream

Yeah, we could go on for days about the order, but I have to agree on the overall content of the list. I have 95 percent of these albums.
What strikes me most about most of the albums is you could listen to the entire album without skipping a song. That doesn't happen nowadays.

MickeyMac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickeyMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2009 at 11:00am
They picked some pretty obvious ones, in other words they played it safe.

That said I am so pleased to see the Four Tops Still Waters on that list.  What an incredible piece of work.  Frank Wilson and Russ Terrana outdid themselves on that.  In fact Russ has said that that record is one of his favorite projects.  If you have never heard the Still Waters LP, get off this computer now and get it (download it  if you have to).

A list of the best R&B LP's from the 60's would have been better.

Also Hot Buttered Soul by Isaac Hayes came out in 1969, so why is that on the list??
Anybody else missing George Bush besides me?
Gua1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gua1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2009 at 11:15am
Originally posted by MickeyMac MickeyMac wrote:

They picked some pretty obvious ones, in other words they played it safe.

That said I am so pleased to see the Four Tops Still Waters on that list.  What an incredible piece of work.  Frank Wilson and Russ Terrana outdid themselves on that.  In fact Russ has said that that record is one of his favorite projects.  If you have never heard the Still Waters LP, get off this computer now and get it (download it  if you have to).

A list of the best R&B LP's from the 60's would have been better.

Also Hot Buttered Soul by Isaac Hayes came out in 1969, so why is that on the list??

They are doing it by decades the 80's are going on now, perhaps they are going to do the 60s at a later date. You are correct HBS came out in the latter part of 69 I'm not sure of the logic behind it.
I love The four Tops "Still Water" great stuff
Soul Sister View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2009 at 8:06am

I'm not impressed with the commercial list. Smile

Every album The O'Jays & The Manhattans did should be up there.
Marvin Gaye's "Whats Going On" album for sure.
Many Teddy Pendergrass, Stephanie Mills, & Teena Marie albums.
The Moments, Dramatics, Intruders, Gladys Knight & The Pips, and more should be there!!!

S.S.

"Love Is The Answer" ~ Little Jeanie Scott
dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2009 at 8:11am
S.S.,  Marvin's album is number 2 and there are several others of his on the list as well as one of Gladys'.

I would agree the others you've listed should be included.  That's the problem but also the fun of these lists.

dream

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2009 at 8:24am
dream,
Marvin should definately be "Number 1" for his ground breaking revolutionary album, sheer genius.

S.S.
dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2009 at 8:58am
S.S.,

AGREED, that's what I said in my first post.  That album is number 1 on other lists as it should be.Thumbs%20Up

dream
MickeyMac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickeyMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2009 at 10:40am
I got an idea, lets do our own top ten R&B/Soul LP's from the 1970's. There is enough music heads to pull this off.
MickeyMac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickeyMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2009 at 12:32pm
Ok here is my list

In no order:

The Four Tops-Still Waters
As stated before producer Frank Wilson and engineer Russ Terrana out did themselves on this one, if you hear it you will know why Russ always says it was one of his favorite projects

Booker T & The MG's-McLemore Avenue
This is their take on
Abbey Road. In fact these are the only guys I know who can outdo both the fab four and the Funk Brothers. A must listen to

Booker T & The MG's-Melting Pot
Another by these guys?    Yeah but they earned it.   The last LP with Jones, Cropper, Dunn and Jackson together and a great work. This is what MFSB and other 70's instrumental groups should have aspired towards

The Staple Singers-Beautitude: Respect Yourself
Mixing the church with the funk and still sounded sacred. Nothing more I can say about how good the Staples were

Al Green-Call Me
"Jesus Is Waiting" is my fave from the LP, so inspirational.   The rest of it is good too.   With Stax, and Hi, Memphis had the funk and didnt go tame with their soul unlike others.

Chairmen of the Board-Give Me Just A Little More Time
General Johnson, wow what a voice, and what a record this is.   No wonder the beach bums and bunnies did these guys.

Funkadelic-Maggot Brain
Man you have got to check out "Super Stupid", it will rip your hair out. Everything else on the record rocks too

Curtis Mayfield-Curtis
His first, and its overlooked because
Superfly gets all the attention

Isaac Hayes-The Isaac Hayes Movement
Another reason why Memphis was the soul capitol in the 60's and 70's

Sly & The Family Stone-There's A Riot Goin' On
Its an obvious one I admit, but everything you have heard or read about this record is true. The party was over indeed.

Stevie Wonder-Innversions
Another obvious one, but I liked this one since I was a kid. For my money its Stevie's finest work

Average White Band-Soul Searching
The best of 70's blue eyed soul. Five White Scots, and a black English drummer, and they were better than a lot of the black R&B that was coming out at the time

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2009 at 11:54am
M.M.,
  Love Love Love.... Levi's voice!!!

Al Green did some nice tracks on both labels.

I have that box-set of Curtis', and it is a good one!

Isaac's "Hot Buttered Soul" will always be my fave from him.

I have Stevie's "Innversions" on LP but never play it.

S.S.

MickeyMac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickeyMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2009 at 2:02pm
Soul Sister what are you waiting for??

Give
Inneversions a spin.

Where is your list???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2009 at 2:05pm
M.M.,
I don't have my vynal record player hooked-up since we move to Vegas, just no time. Smile

My list is above, too many of each of my faves to write. That's why I put every album The O'Jays & The Manhattans & Teena Marie did in the 70's!!

S.S.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic