Soulful Planet  Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Soul of Six > The Village
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

toad & Snick at work

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: toad & Snick at work
    Posted: Dec 21 2007 at 3:57pm
  I will let my pal Snick tell you all a few stories back when we were working together in the Rad shop. He can tell these
stories better than I.  Mid seventies in the burbs of Detroit.
Down, and nearly out in Detroit......
M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2007 at 7:35pm
Cool Toad & Snick!!  Bring it on. . . Clap

Mixey
Snick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2007 at 2:29am
I'm working on it as we speak.
The worlds foremost Authority on Stuff
Snick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2007 at 7:03am

Chapter 1, “The Red Alligator”

I was out of work and I spent a lot of time at the Radiator Shop. Having never had a torch in my hands, Ed said he would start me out on the easy stuff, re-coring heater cores. When I went hope at night, my face was black and I smelled like a wet dog. I kept a bottle of Johnny Walker in the back store room,  (that was before it actually mattered what I was drinking was drinking).  After a few weeks, the other guys told me that Toad was screwing with me and heaters were the hardest part of the whole deal with working at the shop.

The inside of the shop was dank and dismal. The roof leaked and the ceiling was black from the smoke. The floor around the test tanks were always wet, not just plain old wet but sort of something the consistency of gelatin, really slimy. The shop was heated by an elaborate system of a giant pot bellied oil stove and a wood burning stove in the same area. You knew it was cold when you came in and were faced with your test tank frozen and the wood burner glowing red.

Before I worked their, they had a guy from down South called Johnny. When he answered the phone Ed’s Radiator” but it sounded just like he was saying “Reds Alligator”

Next Chapter: “Toad oils the delivery truck really well”

toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2007 at 7:37am
     The flush booth was very close to the test tanks...Thats why the floor was wet and slimy. We had a large log in the back of the flush booth
to prop radiators up against while we flushed them.
      We used to test firearms by shooting them at the log in the booth.
 Ever hear a 300 winchester magnum touched off inside a building?
 It gets your attention !!  I called the homemade woodburning stove,
My "Atomic particle accelerator"  Don't laugh...It kept the pipes from
freezing !!
     And you thought your work was tough....
lol,
toad
dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2007 at 2:28pm
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!!

OH I can tell these chapters are going to be good!!  Snic, you're off to a great start and I can't wait for your second installment.  You and Toad are CHARACTERS!!LOL

dream
http://cdbaby.com/cd/eugenepitt
s. p. a. t. View Drop Down
AdminTeam
AdminTeam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s. p. a. t. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 24 2007 at 9:37am

ClapClapClap LOL we are enjoying your stories.

S. P. A. T.
george
Snick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 24 2007 at 11:52am

“Chapter Two, the Big Oil Spill, Even bigger than Valdez.”

We used fuel oil, lots of fuel oil! . . . It was safely stored in two, 70 year 250 gallon containers that always had this sheen on them from the fuel oil penetrating their paper thin walls. In order to supply the oil burning potbelly stove and the steam jenny the tanks were elevated about 5 feet on spindly rusting legs. Oh yes! Safety first at “Ed’s Radiator was out motto.”

Before I go on with the oil part I first must explain to what lengths Ed went to, to keep the operation safe: In the back of the shop, (from right to left) we had the spray booth; un-vented and spraying a mixture of white gas and liquid asphalt. The only filtering system was our lungs and noses. Within 5 feet of the highly flammable mixture were two lit torches, two pilot lights, and above, on the wall an air compressor. The air compressor would have made the perfect projectile in the event of a catastrophe. Plus I spent most of the day checking at my feet for propane hose blow outs. When your forced to walk over the on a steel grate you have an occasional fire. To the left of the test/work tanks was a home made concoction Ed made that we used for flux. He had to keep it in a ceramic crock, (a big-ass crock,  the 20 gallon size); any other material would disintegrate within a week. His ingredients consisted of: Ammonia Nitrate, Zinc Nitrate, and pulverized solder to taste. The crock got hot was he was mixing up a batch. He used a steel bracket from an old radiator to stir it, but would not think of leaving the stirrer in the crock, it would be gone by morning. We also kept a gallon or two of hydrochloric acid on hand and my favorite, nitric acid. When you used it to etch copper parts a strange brown/yellow smoke would rise and fill the shop. We also had an electrical system that would befuddle Thomas Edison; you could stand, in rubber boots, on the slimy floor and placed only one side of the tester in the receptical and it would light up. I never really understood that phenomenon but it scared the crap of of me

Shit this got so long I’ll have to finish the old part tomorrow.

Merry Christmas to one and all and to my Jewish and Muslim friends, “put op a tree and hang a wreath. Then when your holy days come alone, I’ll hang or nail to my door what ever it is you do.

And remember, Snick knows what every one is doing, so their will be questions Christmas night.

toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 25 2007 at 6:12am
     For you chemistry freeks, the flux was Ammonium Chloride, and
Zinc chloride. When I went in the ARMY, the DI's couldn't understand
why the tear gas chamber didn't effect me at all. They still didn't get it,
when I explained it to them....go figure
toad
Snick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 25 2007 at 10:23am

Chapter 3 Continued "Ed oils the truck"

Toad had this old Chevrolet pickup that he used for deliveries. Toad has always driven like a maniac, but his cutest trick was turning into the drive way and using the oil tanks as his target to stop. Well, it was icy, the brakes locked up and Toad smashed into both tanks knocking them off the spindly legs, and rupturing the tanks. Fortunately, we had just got them filled that morning. The worst was that the front sliding door was open and copious amounts of the oil splashed into the shop. There was oil everywhere. We always wore rubber boots, (mostly because they looked cool) and the boots and the oil turned the floor into a skating rink. I remember hearing the crash because I was dealing with a customer who insisted on calling Ick instead of Rick. It turns out that the embroidered red “R” on my snappy blue shirt has been removed during cleaning. We dealt with the oil situation by building a stand at the side of the building. We used railroad ties and sunk them well into the earth. From then on the shop and the parking lot smelled like fuel oil. That smell along with the stench of all the stuff in the shop was nauseating. In addition to those smells, Toad rented the lot next to the shop to a septic tank cleaning company. I think they had 4-5 trucks. They reeked, especially in the summer. Working at the shop has left me with perfect smelling, I smell good smells, like flowers and everything else smells like the radiator shop. One point before I move on: it is pronounced RADiator, not RAY DEE ATE ER.

Next Chapter “

Radiator Shop

Groupies”

toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 25 2007 at 12:25pm
     Members et all:
 You must forgive Snick for posting his installments in black lettering,
against a black background. We went to the same schools, and I think
he took off a little more time from the grind than me, although I don't know how that is possible.
toad
RAY MONETTE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAY MONETTE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2007 at 11:05am
FUNNY STUFF YOU GUYS!!!
TOAD,YOU KNOW I SAW A FEW THINGS AT THE SHOP TOO.
WHAT ABOUT THE NAKED MAN AND THE CUSTOMERS??? THAT'S A GOOD ONE.
toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2007 at 2:38pm
 A re-print of Snick's post....
                    Chapter 3 continued " Ed oils the truck"
  Toad had this old Chevrolet Pickup that he used for deliveries. Toad has always driven like a maniac, but his cutest trick was turning into the driveway, and using the oil tanks as a target to stop. Well, it was icy, and the brakes locked up and toad smashed into both oil tanks, knocking them off their spindly legs, and rupturing the tanks. Fortunately, we had just got them filled that morning[500 gallons]. the worst part was that the front sliding door was open, and copious amounts of oil splashed into
the shop. There was oil everywhere.
    We always wore rubber boots, [mostly because they looked so cool]
and the boots and the oil turned the floor into a skating rink.
  I remember hearing the crash because I was dealing with a customer
who insisted on calling me "Ick" instead of Rick. It turns out that the embroidered red "R" on my snappy blue uniform shirt had been removed during cleaning. We dealt with the oil situation by building a stand for the oil drums at the side of the building. We used railroad ties, and sunk them well into the earth. From then on, the shop and the driveway smelled
like fuel oil. That smell, along with the stench of all the chemicals in the shop was nauseating. In addition to these smells, toad rented the lot next to the shop to a septic tank cleaning company. I think they had
4 or 5 big trucks. They reeked!, especially in the summer. Working at the shop has left me with perfect smelling. I smell good smells, like flowers,
and everything else smells like the radiator shop. One point before I move on: It is pronounced RADiator, and not RAY-DEE -ate-er.
            Next Chapter:" Radiator shop Groupies"
Snick
M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2007 at 3:24pm
LooooooL!
I can just imagine.  OMG!!  It sounds like some of the job sites I had to go to as an Environmental Chemist...

OSHA or EPA would show up and demand testing, and I'd have to go there to an un welcoming reception.

Toad I hope you're not going to drive your motorcycle like that.

Sewage trucks!!  Oh God that's about as bad as one of our guys in the lab, mouth pipetting influent and effluent samples.  Blaaaaak

Mixey
toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2007 at 5:13pm
   The guy that owned the Septic trucks called them "Honey Dippers"
  I used to ask him: "Howz Business, Tommy?"
 Tommy's reply: "Shittie"
Gene_Leone_Mix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2007 at 8:15pm
OMG!!!

I am laughing my ass off reading these classic Snick stories about Ed's Radiator Shop. This thread too, is better than TV. *LOL*

Really had me rollin' about "the electrical system that would befuddle Thomas Edison" ... OMG I can so picture it all!

Too Funny and I can't wait for the next episode.
Gene

s. p. a. t. View Drop Down
AdminTeam
AdminTeam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s. p. a. t. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2007 at 9:48pm

I adjusted the color Snick.  Are you copying from somewhere and then pasting it into the posting section or are you typing it directly?

Thanks,
S. P. A. T.
george
toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 27 2007 at 9:13am
                  The Electrical system
 In order to run large machinery,[air compressors-grinders& such]
You must use 3 phaze-220 volt current. We had this at the rad shop.
A line came into the building about half way down one wall, close to the side door. The place had a 15 to 18 ft. ceiling, and the outside line came in
high on the wall, and extended down thru steel tubing into the fuse box.
 The normal 110 volt system for lighting was a different curcuit.
     In order to fire off the air compressor every morning, you would
have to throw the switch on the 220 volt fuse box. The roof had a bad leak at the exact area were the fuse box was. we tried to fix the leak,
but never had any luck. When it was raining in the morning, nobody
wanted to flip the 220 switch. I got that job.
        I was very lucky that I didn't get killed doing this task. 220 volts
will fry you like a potato chip in about 5 seconds. I guess GOD looks
out for us in ways we don't understand. I can remember throwing that
switch, standing in an inch of water, with water pouring all over the
fuse box from the roof leak. Snick thought I was crazy.
      When there was a slight problem with any of the big electric motors,
one or more of the fuses would blow. I got tired of buying them,
and soldered a strip of brass across the ends of the fuses to
complete the juice flow. When I look back on it, it is a wonder that
the joint didn't burn down. I think this explains Snick's Edison remarks.
lol,
toad

toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 27 2007 at 10:05am
     As per Ray's request;
                        NAKED guy in Red's Alligator
 Ray's good pal in the sixties was a dude named "Crazy Mike".
  Crazy, Ray, Babbitt, and Andrew Smith had a group going, just before
Ray joined Rare Earth. I was helping to produce and record them at the time,
and got hooked up with mike as a friend. Mike used to do very insane
things...Hence the name "Crazy Mike".
      I was working alone at the shop one day, and a older man and his wife came in the shop holding a heater core that he wanted repaired.
 I already had a job I was working on, and I had pulled this guys
car into the bay area to work on it.
    I stopped working on the first job to knock out this heater repair
for the older couple. They wanted to watch me do the job.
     Some folks enjoy seeing all the flames from the torches and the soldering. Amusement... I was chatting with the couple at my work station
while fixing the core, and In the shop walks Crazy Mike. He waved
hello to me, and sat down for a while at my desk.
      A little later, he walked over by the car that was parked inside,
and kinda dissappeared from view. I thought this a little odd, but
kept talking to my two customers.
       Soon thereafter, "Crazy" jumps out in front of the car, NAKED,
and starts dancing an Irish Jig. His business was flopping in the breeze like he was on a trapoline.I saw him right away, but the older
couple I was talking to never saw this !! He was in FULL VIEW of them
and they didn't see him! I tried to keep my wits, and keep from drawing
attention to this freek show, and it was one of the hardest things I have ever tried to pull off.
      "Crazy Mike" pulled his clothes back on, and waved goodbye to me
and left the building before I was done with the customers. They
thanked me for the fast service, and also took off. I was so freeked
by the whole expirience that I sat down and smoked about 4 cigs
before going back to work.
     Try a little intrusion into your work day like that sometime, and
see how you react. I was laughing and very pissed at the same time
all day, untill I closed shop for the day.
 "Crazy Mike" went on to be an actor in Hollywood, and was in many
films including, "Total Recall" with Arnold, and "Beverly Hills Cop" with
Eddie Murphy.  He was a true nut case, and still is.
LOL,
toad
M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 27 2007 at 5:51pm
You guys must have been breathing the same chemicals we had in the lab.

I know what you mean about  laughing and being pissed all at the same time. People do this crap to me too!!!!!!  LOL

Damn Toad. . . I'll never look at a potato chip the same way. You are EXTREMELY lucky you didn't get fried.!!

I like these stories!!!!!!!! Invite Crazy Mike and his business over here.

Mixey
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic