Soulful Planet  Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Soul of Six > Music General > Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Beatles Catalog Finally Gets Rematere

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickeyMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Beatles Catalog Finally Gets Rematere
    Posted: Apr 07 2009 at 4:22pm
THE BEATLES' ENTIRE ORIGINAL RECORDED CATALOGUE REMASTERED FOR RELEASE 09-09-09

7th April 2009

Apple Corps Ltd. and EMI Music are delighted to announce the release of the original Beatles catalogue, which has been digitally re-mastered for the first time, for worldwide CD release on Wednesday, September 9, 2009 (9-9-09), the same date as the release of the widely anticipated "The Beatles: Rock Band" video game. Each of the CDs is packaged with replicated original UK album art, including expanded booklets containing original and newly written liner notes and rare photos. For a limited period, each CD will also be embedded with a brief documentary film about the album. On the same date, two new Beatles boxed CD collections will also be released.

The albums have been re-mastered by a dedicated team of engineers at EMI's Abbey Road Studios in London over a four year period utilising state of the art recording technology alongside vintage studio equipment, carefully maintaining the authenticity and integrity of the original analogue recordings. The result of this painstaking process is the highest fidelity the catalogue has seen since its original release.

The collection comprises all 12 Beatles albums in stereo, with track listings and artwork as originally released in the UK, and 'Magical Mystery Tour,' which became part of The Beatles' core catalogue when the CDs were first released in 1987. In addition, the collections 'Past Masters Vol. I and II' are now combined as one title, for a total of 14 titles over 16 discs. This will mark the first time that the first four Beatles albums will be available in stereo in their entirety on compact disc. These 14 albums, along with a DVD collection of the documentaries, will also be available for purchase together in a stereo boxed set.
packaging

Within each CD's new packaging, booklets include detailed historical notes along with informative recording notes. With the exception of the 'Past Masters' set, newly produced mini-documentaries on the making of each album, directed by Bob Smeaton, are included as QuickTime files on each album. The documentaries contain archival footage, rare photographs and never-before-heard studio chat from The Beatles, offering a unique and very personal insight into the studio atmosphere.

A second boxed set has been created with the collector in mind. 'The Beatles in Mono' gathers together, in one place, all of the Beatles recordings that were mixed for a mono release. It will contain 10 of the albums with their original mono mixes, plus two further discs of mono masters (covering similar ground to the stereo tracks on 'Past Masters'). As an added bonus, the mono "Help!" and "Rubber Soul" discs also include the original 1965 stereo mixes, which have not been previously released on CD. These albums will be packaged in mini-vinyl CD replicas of the original sleeves with all original inserts and label designs retained.

Discussions regarding the digital distribution of the catalogue will continue. There is no further information available at this time.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickeyMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2009 at 4:25pm
The Beatles' Entire Original Recorded Catalogue Remastered By Apple Corps Ltd. And EMI Music For Worldwide Release On September 9, 2009

Apple Corps Ltd. and EMI Music are delighted to announce the release of the original Beatles catalogue, which has been digitally re-mastered for the first time, for worldwide CD release on Wednesday, September 9, 2009 (9-9-09), the same date as the release of the widely anticipated “The Beatles: Rock Band” video game. Each of the CDs is packaged with replicated original UK album art, including expanded booklets containing original and newly written liner notes and rare photos. For a limited period, each CD will also be embedded with a brief documentary film about the album. On the same date, two new Beatles boxed CD collections will also be released.

The albums have been re-mastered by a dedicated team of engineers at EMI’s Abbey Road Studios in London over a four year period utilising state of the art recording technology alongside vintage studio equipment, carefully maintaining the authenticity and integrity of the original analogue recordings. The result of this painstaking process is the highest fidelity the catalogue has seen since its original release.

The collection comprises all 12 Beatles albums in stereo, with track listings and artwork as originally released in the UK, and 'Magical Mystery Tour,' which became part of The Beatles’ core catalogue when the CDs were first released in 1987. In addition, the collections 'Past Masters Vol. I and II' are now combined as one title, for a total of 14 titles over 16 discs. This will mark the first time that the first four Beatles albums will be available in stereo in their entirety on compact disc. These 14 albums, along with a DVD collection of the documentaries, will also be available for purchase together in a stereo boxed set.

Within each CD’s new packaging, booklets include detailed historical notes along with informative recording notes. With the exception of the 'Past Masters' set, newly produced mini-documentaries on the making of each album, directed by Bob Smeaton, are included as QuickTime files on each album. The documentaries contain archival footage, rare photographs and never-before-heard studio chat from The Beatles, offering a unique and very personal insight into the studio atmosphere.

A second boxed set has been created with the collector in mind. 'The Beatles in Mono' gathers together, in one place, all of the Beatles recordings that were mixed for a mono release. It will contain 10 of the albums with their original mono mixes, plus two further discs of mono masters (covering similar ground to the stereo tracks on 'Past Masters'). As an added bonus, the mono “Help!” and “Rubber Soul” discs also include the original 1965 stereo mixes, which have not been previously released on CD. These albums will be packaged in mini-vinyl CD replicas of the original sleeves with all original inserts and label designs retained.

Discussions regarding the digital distribution of the catalogue will continue. There is no further information available at this time.

http://www.thebeatles.com

U.S. Media Contacts UK Media Contact
For Apple Corps Ltd.: For Apple Corps Ltd.:
Shore Fire Media MBC PR
Matt Hanks Moira Bellas
(718) 522-7171 / mhanks@shorefire.com 0 20 7483 9205 / moira@mbcpr.com
Brendan Gilmartin
(718) 522-7171 / bgilmartin@shorefire.com

For EMI:
Jennifer Ballantyne - EMI Music North America
(323) 871-5494 / jennifer.ballantyne@emicap.com

The Stereo Albums (available individually and collected in a stereo boxed set)
The stereo albums have been remastered by Guy Massey, Steve Rooke, Sam Okell with Paul Hicks and Sean Magee
All CD packages contain original vinyl artwork and liner notes
Extensive archival photos
Additional historical notes by Kevin Howlett and Mike Heatley
Additional recording notes by Allan Rouse and Kevin Howlett
* = CD includes QuickTime mini-doc about the album
Please Please Me* (CD debut in stereo)
With The Beatles* (CD debut in stereo)
A Hard Day's Night* (CD debut in stereo)
Beatles For Sale* (CD debut in stereo)
Help!*
Rubber Soul*
Revolver*
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band* (also includes 1987 notes, updated, and new intro by Paul McCartney)
Magical Mystery Tour*
The Beatles*
Yellow Submarine* (also includes original US liner notes)
Abbey Road*
Let It Be*
Past Masters (contains new liner notes written by Kevin Howlett)

‘The Beatles in Mono’ (boxed set only)
The mono albums have been remastered by Paul Hicks, Sean Magee with Guy Massey and Steve Rooke
Presented together in box with an essay written by Kevin Howlett
+ = mono mix CD debut
Please Please Me
With The Beatles
A Hard Day's Night
Beatles For Sale
Help! (CD also includes original 1965 stereo mix)+
Rubber Soul (CD also include original 1965 stereo mix)+
Revolver+
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band+
Magical Mystery Tour+
The Beatles+
Mono Masters

Re-mastering the Beatles catalogue

The re-mastering process commenced with an extensive period conducting tests before finally copying the analogue master tapes into the digital medium. When this was completed, the transfer was achieved using a Pro Tools workstation operating at 24 bit 192 kHz resolution via a Prism A-D converter. Transferring was a lengthy procedure done a track at a time. Although EMI tape does not suffer the oxide loss associated with some later analogue tapes, there was nevertheless a slight build up of dust, which was removed from the tape machine heads between each title.

From the onset, considerable thought was given to what audio restorative processes were going to be allowed. It was agreed that electrical clicks, microphone vocal pops, excessive sibilance and bad edits should be improved where possible, so long as it didn’t impact on the original integrity of the songs.

In addition, de-noising technology, which is often associated with re-mastering, was to be used, but subtly and sparingly. Eventually, less than five of the 525 minutes of Beatles music was subjected to this process. Finally, as is common with today’s music, overall limiting - to increase the volume level of the CD - has been used, but on the stereo versions only. However, it was unanimously agreed that because of the importance of The Beatles’ music, limiting would be used moderately, so as to retain the original dynamics of the recordings.

When all of the albums had been transferred, each song was then listened to several times to locate any of the agreed imperfections. These were then addressed by Guy Massey, working with Audio Restoration engineer Simon Gibson.

Mastering could now take place, once the earliest vinyl pressings, along with the existing CDs, were loaded into Pro Tools, thus allowing comparisons to be made with the original master tapes during the equalization process. When an album had been completed, it was auditioned the next day in studio three – a room familiar to the engineers, as all of the recent Beatles mixing projects had taken place in there – and any further alteration of EQ could be addressed back in the mastering room. Following the initial satisfaction of Guy and Steve, Allan Ro
Anybody else missing George Bush besides me?
Jeff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 23 2009 at 5:44am
I'd have LOVED to be involved in this project. ClapClapClap

Audio post production is the most fascinating and enjoyable work I've ever done in my life.

Thanks for posting this MM. 
Jeff
dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2009 at 7:46am
This sounds fabulous, MM!!!  I was as cought up as everyone else in the British Invasion and was lucky to have seen the Beatles live twice.

This brings back great memories of my youthful college days.Smile

dream
http://cdbaby.com/cd/eugenepitt
MickeyMac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickeyMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2009 at 9:35am
Since I got all their LP's on vinyl (I sold my Beatles CDs some time ago), I will probably only get a few of these.
MickeyMac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickeyMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 26 2009 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by dream207 dream207 wrote:

This sounds fabulous, MM!!!  I was as cought up as everyone else in the British Invasion and was lucky to have seen the Beatles live twice.

This brings back great memories of my youthful college days.Smile

dream

You saw the fab four twice

Do tell   Details, details.

M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 26 2009 at 4:16pm
Interesting post MM.  Thanks!

I like the part about EMI tape not experiencing the oxide dropouts that later brands experience, but they cleaned the heads between songs due to a little dust buildup.  lol

It'll be interesting to hear what they did.  It sounds like they were responsible and sensible with the process... viewing it from multiple directions.  Thank goodness they said they didn't limit the crap out of it in the mastering process. 

Yes... Dream... details!  Smile

Mixey
dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 27 2009 at 7:07am
Details you say!!  Okey dokey, for you & Mixey I'll give them.LOL

Yes, I saw The Beatles twice during my college years.  Once in Atlantic City, N.J. and the second time at the famous Shea Stadium concert in NYC.  (The one you always see in film clips.)

Both times were interesting adventures.  I was visiting my college roomate during summer vacation at her parents summer home in Ocean City, N.J., which is right next to Atlantic City.

We planned my visit to coincide with The Beatles concert.  We were just as silly as all the other girls and went to the hotel where they were staying to try to catch a glimpse of them.  Didn't happen but we had fun anyway.  We screamed and hollared along with everyone else.LOL

Show time.  We went and the venue was packed to the rafters with screaming fans.  I've never seen anything like Beatlemania before or since.  It was something you had to experience to understand the full effect of the crowd mentality.

We couldn't see the stage well from where we were seated and no one sat in their seats anyway.  Everyone was too busy jumping and screaming and many girls fainted.  You could hardly hear the music at all, but you knew what songs they were playing and we did get glimpses of all four Beatles.

Second time, a year later, Shea Stadium.  My boyfriend had managed to get 5 tickets to the show.  He didn't go because he was working, but friends of mine - including 3 of The Remains - drove during the night to NYC.

We had no hotel room or any place to stay, so we walked all around the city during the day and cooled our heels in restaurants, where we two girls applied makeup.  LOL!!!

I was an extremely hot and humid day.  Temps in the high 90's with 100% humidity.  You can imagine what it did to my naturally curly hair, which I tried to straighten back then, and my makeup which melted off the minute we hit the streets.  LOL!!

I remember I wore a hot pink Edwardian dress with white puffy sleves  and white poka dots on it, white shoes and handbag.  My girlfriend had on a similar outfit and they guys were casual.

After a fashion of getting water logged in restaurants and applying our makeup in restrooms, we headed for Shea Stadium quite early.

There was no way to get inside and it was dirty and dusty and HOT!!  Scalpers were everywhere trying to buy and sell tickets for outrageous prices and they were making a bundle!!

Finally when the doors opened we went inside and found our seats.  Screaming, crazy fans everywhere!!  Tempers were not the best given the heat & humidity.  People were shoving and pushing and yelling at each other.

The show started and The Beatles were helicoptered onto the field.  They ran to the stage and began playing.  The noise from the fans was deafening!!  Again, you couldn't hear the music, but you could see the effect the heat had on The Beatles, too.  They were bathed in sweat and their usual neat mops were soaking wet.

An overexhuberant fan knocked me down in her excitement and I slid down cement stairs on my side.  I was so caught up in the craziness I didn't notice how badly I was bruised until the ride back to Boston.

It was quite a night and we left to drive back to Boston as soon as the show was over.  We were all hot and tired but still feeling the excitment of Beatlemania.

Little did we know then, The Remains would be the opening act for The Beatles a couple of years later during The Beatles final tour of the U.S..

Exciting times in the '60's - an era I'm so glad I witnessed first hand.  Civil rights marches, the British Invasion, women's liberation, etc..  The decade of social and cultural change like no other!!

dream 

toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 27 2009 at 7:35am
         I was never impressed with any Beatle music
 untill they started using a lot of dope.
     "Elanor Rigby" caught my attention, but the tune
 that really got me listening to them was "I am the
 walrus".  For Me.... this is when they started playing
 things that were meaningful, and when they became
 a real musical force.

toad
Down, and nearly out in Detroit......
MickeyMac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickeyMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 27 2009 at 8:38am
I just want to say that it had to have been awesome to see the British and the American bands back in the day in their prime.  I have seen some in recent years and some do still put on a great show(like the Rolling Stones and ? & The Mysterians for instance), but still to see them at the height of their fame.
MickeyMac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickeyMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 27 2009 at 5:42pm

My favorite era of the Beatles is the middle period.  Help and Rubber Soul(the UK versions) I think are their finest work, in fact the former is my favorite Beatles LP.  I really dig Revolver too but the one bad mark it has is "Yellow Submarine" which I think is horrible beyond words.

I like their early stuff too, its fun and catchy.

I would have to say my favorite Beatles song is "Strawberry Fields Forever"

I like Sgt Pepper I dont think its thier best(because of "When I'm Sixty Four which is another horrible tune), but its good.

Their later stuff like Magical Mystery Tour, White Album and Abbey Road I can dig(even though I think the White Album has a few weak spots).  Their good works.

Their weakest LP in my opinion is probably Let It Be.  Some cuts sound like unfinished demos while others are seriously overproduced, thanks to Phil Spector, he did wonders for the Ronettes but the magic didnt work with him for the Fab Four.
MickeyMac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickeyMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 29 2009 at 4:22pm
There is a book that came out recently called We're Going To See The Beatles that features interviews with various fans who talk about their experiences and stories from Beatles concerts.

Dream whomever wrote that book should have got in touch with you because your Beatles stories are so good.
dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2009 at 7:27am
Why Thank You, MM.  What a nice thing to say.Smile  The fan book does sound interesting, however.  There was nothing like Beatlemania and it really can't be captured on film.  The films I've seen give an idea, but the total pandamonium and crazziness surrounding them was unique and even surpasses all the hoopla around Elvis.

dream
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic