Soulful Planet  Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Soul of Six > Writer's Journal
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Andantes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sweet Pea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Andantes
    Posted: Jan 14 2009 at 11:34am
Revently I read the book--MOTOWN FROM THE BACKGROUND which was written by my friend Vickie Wright along  with the Andantes. If you have not yet read this book--you need to check it out----

i loved reading about these wonderful and talented ladies who have sang on most of Motown's hits. I love reading their stories about their childhood and how they made it to Motown.

What surprised me was the fact that they sang on hits such as You Can't Hurry love by the Supremes (they sang with Mary Wilson), The Hunter Gets Captured By The Game and Don't Mess With Bill by the Marvelettes. Plus they sang on songs with the Velvelettes and Kim Weston plus My Baby Loves Me by Martha and the Vandellas

The ladies also shared special thoughts about Motown artists whom they have worked with and  I, myself am privileged to be included in the Reflections portion.

Motown is turning 50 this year and I do hope that these ladies will no longer be in the background--bring them to the foreground!!!! 
Put On Your High Heel Sneakers!!!!!!
M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2009 at 1:12pm
Very cool Sweet Pea.

I'll check it out! Smile

Thanks,
Mixey
Soul Sister View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2009 at 1:39pm
Hi Sweet Pea,
Thanks for the review.  The Andante's deserve much more credit than they received in the past.

Conrats to Vickie for another fine book, and for keeping soul music history alive!!

S.S.
"Love Is The Answer" ~ Little Jeanie Scott
Sweet Pea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sweet Pea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2009 at 3:28pm
Hi Soul Sister!! I saw your name in there too--in the dedications along with Bobby and Vonnie eli and other folks I recognze!! I am included  in an elite group of folks and it does my heart good!!!!
MickeyMac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickeyMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2009 at 3:36pm
This looks like a good read.  Hopefully I can find the time to read it, and hopefully my library will get this.
Soul Sister View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2009 at 5:17pm
Hi Sweet Pea,
Wow! I didn't know that ....that's a surprise, I guess I'll read that when I get the book. Smile

Thanks for the 411.

S.S.
"Love Is The Answer" ~ Little Jeanie Scott
Don1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2009 at 7:58am
Hi. I just made it to this Andantes post. My dad wanted to ask somebody here once who were the group line-up from either 62 or 63, on a post I posted while ago. I don't know where my head was at. I don't know how I looked pass this post?! I showed dad this post. He said to me these are the women that came to Chicago and did sessions with Andre Williams producing along with the Funk Bros, for the Ran-Dee label. He wants me to thank Peewee for posting about the Andantes. Thanks!

- Dante'

Sweet Pea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sweet Pea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2009 at 10:02am
Originally posted by donn donn wrote:

Hi. I just made it to this Andantes post. My dad wanted to ask somebody here once who were the group line-up from either 62 or 63, on a post I posted while ago. I don't know where my head was at. I don't know how I looked pass this post?! I showed dad this post. He said to me these are the women that came to Chicago and did sessions with Andre Williams producing along with the Funk Bros, for the Ran-Dee label. He wants me to thank Peewee for posting about the Andantes. Thanks!

- Dante'

Hi there!!Glad that you and your dad enjoyed the post about the Andantes!! The book was a great read and I can pick that one up and read it over and over. Vickie is a terrific writer!! And------while I like the name Peewee--my name is Sweet Pea--like the flower and it is a pleasure meeting you!!!

Don1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2009 at 7:09am
Sorry Sweet Pea if I spelled your name incorrectly. Have to excuse me, I had Mr Sandman in my eye.

My dad thought about it Andre Williams did a lot of producing for the Ran-Dee label - for the Vows (Chgo group), Joyce Kennedy (Chgo singer) and the Aprils later as Fern (Bledsoe) and the Aprils (Det). The bg group were the Andantes...and and the Motown house band were also on those sessions. As a matter of speaking her picture was shown of her by Andre's bed-table in a documentary about Andre Williams awhile back.

- Donn 
Sweet Pea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sweet Pea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2009 at 12:53pm
Think nothing of it!! I've got me a new nickname~!!!!! LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic