Soulful Planet  Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Soul of Six > The Village > Cuisine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

~ Thanksgiving Dinner 2011! ~

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickeyMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 29 2008 at 12:12pm
Twiced baked potatoes are so delicious

Mixey as far as I know they were just regular noodles from the store, and boiled then were consumed. You probably could find them anywhere.
M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 29 2008 at 5:11pm

I'm spreading the fat on Toad and enjoying every moment of it.

I'm doing up the turkey right now.  There's no stick of butter in it Toad... I'll try that one another time.  Mom's a little freaked over that idea.

I'm trying Mike's idea of bake it at 500 (he said 550, but my oven doesn't go that high)... for 30 min... and then turn it down to 250 and let it cook for 12 hours (22 lb turkey).  He swears it's gonna be fall fall off the bones perfect like his and Susan's 2 days ago... We'll see.

Mixey

toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 29 2008 at 5:53pm
         22 pounds/ 12 hours? sounds like a method for turkey jerky.
  You may have to shoot mike. I knew you would never go for the butter stick. Ya might as well admit that you will never try that approach.
       I realize that C.A. folks are allergic to butter.
  I witnessed a method for cooking turkey that it bizzare, but it really
 works. They have large porciline coated pots that are used for canning
 big batches of canned goods. My Wife's aunt took a twenty-plus pound
 turkey, and boiled it in one of these pots untill it was totally cooked.
   She then stripped it of skin, and pulled the pieces of meat off the
 the bird in pieces about the size of your finger.
      She arranged the pieces of turkey on a platter in rows.
   She used the broth to make about 2 gallons of gravy. She made the
 dressing, and baked it seperate from the turkey in the oven.
      I was at two large family feasts where she cooked the turkey
 like this, and at the end of the meal, there was not one piece of turkey
 left over. It was moist, tender, and had all the flavor you could ask for.
     It may sound strange, but it works.  I'll bet nobody will ever try
 this approach, but I can guarantee you would like the results.
     I guess it beats burning your house down trying to deep fry
 one. Go figure......

toad
Down, and nearly out in Detroit......
toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 29 2008 at 6:19pm
        Twice baked potatos are someting I have eaten, but not cooked.
     I believe that you take very large idaho baking potatos, and bake them untill done. remove from the oven, and cut them in half, lenght
 wise. scrape out the potato from the skin, being careful not to tear
 the potato skins. Mash the potato flesh in a bowl adding a small
 amount of sour cream, butter,bacon bits, and chopped chives.
  After this mashing and mixing is done, scoop the mixture back into
 the potato skins, and sprinkle the tops with shredded, white
 American cheese...or whatever cheese turns you on. If you want to
 get fancy, wrap the potato halves in a strip of bacon, that is nearly cooked.
      Now, re-bake the potatos untill the cheese fully melts.

If you have a better method of making these, please share that
 info with us here. These potatos are wonderful, but very filling.
 I can make a meal out of them, with no sides at all.

toad
Gene_Leone_Mix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 29 2008 at 6:46pm

Ok, this years'
Leone/Galasso 2008 Annual Thanksgiving Dinner
was small and intimate due to lots of schedule conflicts this year... only 40 people in the same hall as before, so it was very relaxed and laid back.

They did up 4 large turkeys,,, etc.... tons of great food as usual!

So, at one end of the hall, my cousins set up a computer with sound system and sub-woofer with a big screen overhead projector and 10 foot screen with an ongoing slide show of Leone/Galasso Thanksgivings Past... Then, later the computer was tied in to the internet so that The Philly Eagles Game could be watched.

At the other end of the hall, a jam session broke out! My brother Steve brought his Yamaha digital keyboard, I brought my acoustic guitar and LP bongos, (who knew my cousin Judy knew how to play bongo's too), and my cousins Nick and Steve and had their acoustic guitars, and cousin Christine and Nicky and Helene did vocals, cousin Geralyn and other cousins joining in here and there etc., the next thing Ya know "dancing" and "singing along" kinda sorta broke out! *LoL* and we did this in half assed laughing "does anybody know the rest of this song?" style fake-it! fun for like 4 or 5 hours.

Lots of laughs and the time simply flew by, and it all had to end too early. Before we knew it it was time to "stack up the chairs" and clean up. Then it occurred to me, damn, I was too busy jamming to even stop to take any pics! ...my Brother Steve said the same thing, and we could have all kept jamming for hours more ... but I know my cousin Marianne was snapping pics like crazy.

All in all another Great Family Annual Thanksgiving!... this one was the 55th Year. Pretty cool!

~BigSmiles~
Geno

M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 29 2008 at 6:47pm
OMG.... Yummmmmmm! 2x baked potatoes sound GREAT!

I'm NOT butter phobic Toad.  Mom is ITALIAN.  lol  We've got a HUGE can of olive oil on the kitchen counter.  When Mom uses butter... it's a microscopic amount... and an event... a thin spread on toast if we go out to breakfast, etc.  I grew up on olive oil on toast... LOVE it, especially with a garlic clove rubbed on the toast... don't peel it... just rub... The toast acts like sand paper. 

Nanny wouldn't go near butter, but Mom remembers the butter that they made on the farm.  She 's looking for THAT taste in butter... not the kind we get today, so I understand.  It was her job as a kid to shake the jar, until butter formed.  She said I've never really ever experienced butter in my lifetime.

I'm smelling turkey now, Toad and we've got 5 hours to go.  Mike told me about this 12 hour deal before, and I said... no way.  I'm loading the gun now, just in case I might have to... LOL He swears he's not messing with me.

Mixey

M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 29 2008 at 6:47pm
Hi Geno... We were posting at the same time.  lol

I like those improptu jams.  Maybe we'll get to do some of that out here some day... after the never ending studio project is done.

By the way Toad... boiled turkey is awesome!  I've done a lot of that over the years. 

Mixey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2008 at 2:25am
Mixey!
*LoL* Too funny, Yes we were! And Yes, can't wait to jam, it' really is so much fun!
Playing Music for the sake of having fun Playing Music! Love it!

Also.... _
this looks pretty close to how I've had twice baked potatoes. Toad, your description is pretty dead on the money. I like mine with steamed broccoli added in, and sprinkled with a little garlic, too. Yum!
And now I'll have to try them with being cooked in the wood fire hot coals if I get a chance to brave the elements and go out there and cook again.
Damn, that picture is making my mouth water!   
I want one right now.
Smiles,
Geno
dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2008 at 9:25am
OMG you all are making me sooooooooooo hungry!!!  Sounds like everyone had a great time.

Mixey, Toad is correct about twice baked potatoes.  They are yummy!!  I don't cook them either, but then, I don't cook much of anything.LOL

Kimberly makes hers with cheese, sour cream & butter, and bacon.  I've had them with various mixtures, like brocalli and cheese.  I've never met one I didn't like.

Pumpkin romelade (as Gerri, who made it calls it) is a pumpkin roll with a cream mixture inside it.  It's absolotely delicious and a pleasant change from traditional pumpkin pie.  I prefer it to pie.

The stella doros are my favorite.  Even I could make them because the stella doro puffs are pre-packaged, so all you do is make the mixture of whipped topping, cream cheese and crushed pineapple and stuff them.

dream

http://cdbaby.com/cd/eugenepitt
MickeyMac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickeyMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2008 at 1:01pm
Yesterday was more eats with turkey and dressing, mashed potates, a corn casserole, sautated green beans, two quiches, guacamole dip, spinach casserole, and at least five pies, and prenty of drinks.   Good crowd this year, its always fun to hang with friends. Afterwards a few of us went to this bar, and had more good times. Today I am resting, but just got back from record shopping.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2008 at 1:05pm
Hi Dream!!! Hi MickeyMac!!!

I know... resting and hungry... I'm starving too right now, and that twice baked potato is looking delectable, and I am so dying to cook out on the deck... but the weather is just totally miserable out there right now... getting a soaking wet wood fire going would be one hell of a challenge... pondering what to eat here!

Can we cook JPGS in a microwave?

Geno
toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2008 at 7:00pm
            Geno,
    It's snowing like hell in the murder city. It may be coming your way.
 I think yer deck meals are over for a while.
      Ya might want to make a big ol'e pot of chile. Bake up a couple
 pans of cornbread, and get full and warm. It's also a good reason
 to knock back some Corona's !!
        If you need directions for some GOOD chile, I will provide you
 with my formula, that is guaranteed to please.Tongue
I will be making some very soon.

toad
dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 01 2008 at 12:43pm
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL   I think it's time to give up on the deck, Geno and get out your slow cooker for some of Toad's chilli, some pot roast and great soups.  It will make the inside of your house smell great and give you that cozy up feeling.

Toad, I want to see your recipe for chilli.  BRING IT ON!!

dream

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 01 2008 at 12:47pm

Toad & Dream!!!

YIKES!!!

Hearing that the SNOW might be headed this way too...
We might all have to consider hibernation for the winter!

Ok,
It's Time
to get that blaze
going again
in
The Bat Cave!

...Now, lets cook something!

Geno

p.s. Look here too SNOW!!!!!!! It's back.

toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 01 2008 at 1:48pm
        I'm cooking Thanksgiving in Phases this year. I cooked my duck,
dressing, potatos, and gravy last thursday. that was phase one.
         Today is phase two. I am cooking another duck, dressing,potatos,
 and gravy again today. I just put the duck in the oven, a half hour ago.

I will put my chilli recipe in the "Whats for dinner" thread, rather than here. I have cooked up my chilli for fishing and hunting expeditions,
 and it always wins much approval from the woodsmen.
   Most say it is additive, although there is no dope in the formula.
     The dope part is reserved for the cook! Don't bogart that joint...

toad
manifoldgrace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manifoldgrace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 02 2008 at 8:11pm
Sorry I am late in responding to this thread ... Thanksgiving is past, and I have 2 servings of Turkey Soup (made from the leftovers) now left in my pot.  (Recipe:  Turkey leftovers, meat - bones - gravy - broth - and all, chopped celery, chopped carrots, chopped onions, some leftover roasted sweet potatoes mashed up, thyme, garlic, salt, black pepper, tablespooon or two of vinegar, and egg noodles ... simmer for an hour - pull out the bones - add the cooked egg noodles ... and ... Yum!!)

Geno, thanks, I love the pictures you posted both old and new.  And I'm getting all 'teary-eyed' from the memories of the cameraderie (sp?), the love, the laughs, and the lessons learned through all the years of our Thanksgiving get-togethers.  I am so glad you added to that sense of 'family' (our family) with the music this past year.  Just wished I was there!

Here in Arkansas, it was great to see some of our residents re-unite with family members, and eat their Turkey Dinner together.  The staff hung out with the ones who didn't get visits.  Cameraderie, love, and laughter being passed on ...

Love you, Geno, and love you SP!
toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 02 2008 at 10:14pm
          Manifoldgrace,
       Your soup recipe sounds super good. I am curious about the
addition of vinegar. What have you found that the vinegar does to
 accent the flavor? I know that it is used in Asian soups.
    I like learning about flavor componates in soups and sauces.

toad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manifoldgrace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2008 at 7:01am
Hi, Toad,

Vinegar draws calcium out of the bones and into the soup which is good for 'your' bones.  Here is a better explanation of it, along with some ideas for the just the broth itself:

Natural Medicine: Bone broth for better flavor and health

Broth is an ingredient used in kitchens all over the world to create delicious soups, sauces and gravies, and to add flavor to cooked grains or beans. While broth can be made from meat alone, it is traditionally made from leftover bones. Although this practice may have originated as a way to extract more value from a commodity during scarce times, it also extracts flavor and nutrients from something that might otherwise be thrown away. The result is a tasty, nutrient-filled liquid that makes an excellent addition to many recipes.

Properly made bone broth contains measurable amounts of calcium, phosphorous, magnesium, potassium and other minerals, as well as collagen, gelatin and amino acids. These nutrients are beneficial for bone and joint health, for muscle strength and action, and for maintaining connective tissues and the gastrointestinal tract.

The gelatin in bone broth has been shown in some studies to stimulate digestion and protect the lining of the gastrointestinal tract. It also is thought to improve digestion of milk, beans, meat and gluten-containing grains. The gelatin also contributes texture to the broth, lending what chefs call "mouth-feel" to any dish.

Making bone broth is simple, though time-consuming. Bones can be purchased fresh at the grocery store meat counter, or use leftover bones from chicken or beef. Place bones in a pot, cover with water and a splash of vinegar (or lemon juice) and slowly bring to a simmer. The vinegar helps leach more minerals from the bones.

Allow the broth to simmer uncovered 2-4 hours, skimming the top of the broth throughout the cooking process. When the broth is done, strain it through a fine sieve. Discard the bones but save any meat for another dish. The broth will keep for three days in the refrigerator, and for several months in the freezer. One substantial batch of this broth, safely reheated to boiling, will enhance the nutrition and taste of several future meals.

-- Carol White, B.A., and Debra Boutin, M.S., R.D., associate professor with the School of Nutrition and Exercise Science at Bastyr University

OK, I see now I need to simmer mine longer than an hour. 

Also, Toad, I sometimes will add a can of chopped spinach to the soup when I have some around the house.

Enjoy!
dc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manifoldgrace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2008 at 7:07am
Oh, and Toad,  vinegar DOES enhance the flavor, too.  I think it gives it a little kick.  I also add a tsp to my tuna salad, chicken salad, turkey salad, salmon salad (you get the idea).  Try it and see!
dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2008 at 8:44am
Hi Manifoldgrace,

Your soups sound delicious.  It is one of the few things I will make from scratch.  I love vinegar and always have.  It does brighten up the flavor of lots of things.  You've given us some informative material here.  The next soup I make, I'm going to add a splash of vinegar.

I've added it to salmon salad before.

dream
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic