Soulful Planet  Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Soul of Six > The Village > Cuisine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

~ Thanksgiving Dinner 2011! ~

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ~ Thanksgiving Dinner 2011! ~
    Posted: Nov 18 2007 at 3:37am
Dream... I changed your thread to update to this year.
HAPPY THANKSGIVING DINNER EVERYONE!

Mixey
S. P. A. T.
. . . . . . . . . .
We combined the Thanksgiving dinner threads.
Love reading these!  Really hungry NOW!!
Mixey, Bruce & Char
Your Soulful Planet Administration Team
.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .

Turkey day is almost here!!!  YUM!!!Big%20smile

I have to say it's one of my favorite holidays because of all the delicious food.

What are you making this year??

Do you have any special dishes you make every year??

Toad, I know you're a fabulous cook.  I'm not. LOL  You must be making some special goodies.

No one would want me to make Thanksgiving dinner!!LOL  I go to a friend's house who is a superb cook.  She always has six desserts and I sample every one of them.LOL  I love the turkey, stuffing/dressing and gravy the most from the main meal.

My contribution for Thanksgiving and Christmas is Italian meatballs in Goddess dressing.  Everyone loves them and they all get eaten as one of the hor'deurves (spl).  They are so simple.  I just buy frozen Italian meatballs, heat them and cover them with Goddess salad dressing from the health food store.  They are tasty, if I do say so myself.LOL

How about you?????

dream
toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2007 at 4:48am
        My deceased Father-in-law used to tell me that all the trimmings
that people prepare for Thanksgiving are a waste. He said: "The only
thing people eat at a Thanksgiving dinner is Turkey,dressing, potatos,
and gravy." I believe he is mainly correct. With that said, Thursday I will be cooking those items only. I was craving turkey soo bad about a month
ago, I made myself a turkey and all the above items, and swilled it down like a pirate. I will do the same routine this Thursday.
P.S. ....I'm making oyster dressing that would rock your socks !!!!!!
LOL,
toad
Down, and nearly out in Detroit......
dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2007 at 6:13am

Toad,

I'm going to hit your house for a second meal.LOL

Hit us with that oyster dressing recipe - PLEASE!!  It sounds delicious!!!

dream
http://cdbaby.com/cd/eugenepitt
toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2007 at 9:30am
                                  Oyster Dressing
 I break up a large loaf of day old bread into chunks, add 1/4 cup
each of the following: Chopped Onions,celery, green pepper, red
sweet peppers. 2 raw eggs, 1 stick of butter,and 1 -8oz. can of oysters.
add poultry seasoning, and a little sage and ground pepper.
If you need to moisten it a little, add some chicken broth. Stuff the bird,
and put the leftover dressing in a shallow pan to bake the next day
for the leftovers from Turkey day.
Hope you like it....I know I do!
LOL,
toad Tongue
M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2007 at 9:48am
I still have not gone grocery shopping.  I have one foot in one house and one in the other. 

With 2 places and 3 people who think they need different things. . . life is just plain ridiculous.  No one has a monopoly on stupid, but this is coming close!

I remember living with my 4 year old son in a 2 room place, with no electricity, no refrigerator and a can of sterno that someone gave me to cook a piece of salted meat.  Life made more sense to me then than now.

I'd rather make a feast out of nothing than a lot of bullshit out of too much.

I'm not sure what we're going to cook up this year. 

Does anyone have a recipe for some privacy?

Mixey
toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2007 at 4:15pm
                        Get this,
Somebody told me that White Castle hambergers web site has a
turkey dressing recipe.

Don't ask me if it is any good.  Has anyone tried this?????
M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2007 at 4:24pm
Toad. . .

That sounds pretty good. . .  but twisted to think that you have to use 1 hamburger for every pound of turkey. . . but easy considering that you can by their frozen hamburgers.

Sounds like a fun project for a kids party.

For me. . . I'm going to have something out of the ordinary. . . like nothing. 

I'm going to fast on Thanksgiving.

Mixey
dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2007 at 3:55am
OH MY!!!!!!  I should fast on Thanksgiving, but I won't!!  I hope you end up eating, Mixey.Smile

Toad, the White Castle stuffing sounds tasty, but your recipe for oyster stuffing sounds a lot better to me.  It really sounds good.Clap

At first I thought I wouldn't like the taste of hamburg along with turkey, but then I thought about stuffing made with sausage, which is quite common.  It's good too.

Apple and sausage stuffing is delicious.

dream
toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2007 at 12:31pm
Mixey,
If yer looking for some privacy, Go to the airport, get a ticket to
Detroit Metro, get on the plane and go to sleep. By the time you get off the plane in Detroit, it will probably be Monday. I will pick you up and serve you leftovers from my Thursday feast. Think about it...you can sleep for 3 days, and eat like a pirate before spending another 3 days sleeping
on your way home. Private enough for you???
LOL,
toad
toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 22 2007 at 6:54am
     I got up today, went to the grocery for some stuff I forgot, and then
got back home about 10:30 AM. I made my dressing, and stuffed the bird.
Popped it in the oven at noon. All I have left to do is peel some spuds, and get them ready for cooking and mashing. The turkey has been in the oven an hour and a half, and the smells coming from the kitchen are drivin' me nuts!
       About 5:30 tonight I will have a smile on my face for REAL.
It snowed overnight in Detroit and the Burbs, but it warmed up enough
today to melt most of it off. It was still cool to see the snow this morning.
     The snow kinda reminds you that the winter holidays are finally here.
   I sure hope everyone gets a chance to have a great meal today.
Things are pretty tough in this city, but folks who live here are always
thankfull for what they have, and celebrate the day with much vigor.
          Happy Thanksgiving Everybody !!!!!! SmileTongueSmileTongueThumbs%20UpThumbs%20Up
 LOL, Heart
toad

M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 22 2007 at 4:59pm

It's 8:30 PM here in California, and I'm picturing most of you sleeping away in triptophan land... lol.

Mom and I went for a short sunny walk today.  The air was CLEAN and beautiful!

With all of the fire troubles of late, we have not gone outside much.  Some people were jogging by the beach during all of the ash in the air.  I couldn't believe it!!

Anyway, I'm glad we got outside.  It's depressing to be indoors so much; and mostly I've been concerned about how Mom would handle the particles in the air.  Older people don't recover as well from these things.

Later in the afternoon, about a thousand crows landed in my yard and all over my trees and roof.  As they took off all at once, they took on the appearance of very large bats. . . how appropriate... lol.

Toad. . . your invitation sounds wonderful, but there is a good possibility that you might not want me as your house guest.

Dream. . . I didn't fast. . . but I did go a little less overboard on the cooking.  All in all. . . a beautiful day!!!
Mixey
toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2008 at 6:20pm
        I have notified everyone I know that I am
  roasting a duck for Thanksgiving dinner.
     A duckling will only feed 2 people, so it isn't a good choice for a crowd. If your having 3 others over to
 your feast, get 2 ducks.
        As some of you already know, I like to make
 oyster dressing to stuff the duck.
      I make the dressing as follows:
        I buy a few baggets of french bread, and let them get a day old. Rip the bread into small chunks
 in a very large bowl. Chop a quarter cup each of
 the following veggies. Onions,green bell pepper,
and celery. Add a half a small jar of Pementos.
    Add 3 raw eggs. In a small sauce pan,
 simmer a eight oz. can of oysters along with
 some chicken broth, and a quarter stick of butter.
    When this heats up enough to melt the butter,
  dice up the oysters while they are still in the sauce pan. Add this to the bread,veggie, and eggs
 mixture, and mix it all together. The only spices that
I add to this dressing, is a little cracked pepper, and
a small amount of poultry seasoning.
    Stuff your duck, or ducks with this stuffing,
and put the rest into a oven-proof shallow
 pan.
      Make sure and roast the duck on a rack,
off the bottom of the roasting pan.
     A duck will brown a lot darker than a turkey,
 and the duck will not dry out.

Roast the duck..[4 to 6 lbs.] 2 hours at
  325 degrees.  The drippings from this duck
 will make the best gravy that will ever cross your lips. DON'T FORGET THE GRAVY.
      The duck, dressing,mashed potatos, and gravy
 will be a thanksgiving you will remember, if you
 like exotic meals. The smells coming from
 your kitchen will drive your guests crazy.

However you make it, please have a great
 Thanksgiving Day Dinner !! Big%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smile
M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2008 at 9:32pm
Toad,

I can smell that duck roasting right now!  Yummmmm!

... and seriously,  that part about it browning darker than a turkey... I learned that the hard way.  I cooked one that went black and never came back.  JEEZ!  Duck has a lot more fat than turkey, so you really have to watch the roasting temperature.

Mixey
MickeyMac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickeyMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2008 at 11:09am
Anybody got any big plans for Thanksgiving
dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2008 at 3:17pm
I'm spending the holidays with my friends Kimberly and Jared and their families.

dream
dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2008 at 3:18pm
Toad!!!

I still say you are one FABULOUS Cook!!!  You go MAN!!!

dream
MickeyMac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickeyMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2008 at 11:44am
My mother usually makes a duck for Christmas.  If its cooked right it can be quite tasty, but it is greasy though.
Poor Daffy lol.
pnyyoung View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnyyoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2008 at 10:32pm
Hi,

I have never eaten duck.  Do you hunt it or buy it?

Thanksgiving is my all time favorite holiday in NY.

We usually watch the Parade from my friend's apartment with a great view and watch Miracle on 34th Street.  Its a NY tradition thing.   Several of us have designed costumes and sets for past Macy's Parades and two of my friends are window designers.  The best thing in the world is to go to Rockefeller Center and walk as much as you can (if it is not freezing) and just take it all in.

We are all getting tired and don't do as much for the Parade anymore but we do still enjoy our Thanksgiving brunch.

I spend dinner with my grown kids.  I cook the turkey and they make everything else.  No grandkids yet.  That might make Christmas more special someday.  My kids usually visit inlaws for Christmas and I may go to Florida.

I am going to music awards this weekend so its going to be a busy week.

Also planning to attend a huge Inagural Party in NY after Obama is sworn into office in January.

Do you have special traditions in your family?

pnyyoung
MickeyMac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickeyMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2008 at 12:54pm

I imagine you could hunt duck, but my mother usually gets her's from the store.

Anyhow on Thanksgiving I go eat dinner with my family, and then a buddy of mine has a party at his place.  Last year I didnt leave his pad till 4 inthe morning.  Me and my friends usually have what we call "Friendsgiving" in which we go over to my two friends house and everyone brings a dish and we hang there all day.  I have been doing that with them for the last two years, and to be honest they are the best Thanksgivings I have ever had.  I would never tell my mother that though because she would go ballistic.

The friendsgiving is Saturday this year instead of Sunday.  Usually on Saturday we have LKO but thats been cancelled this year.  Basically starting Wednesday night me and and some of my friends will meet up at a bar, so next week its party time for me Cool
M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2008 at 7:55pm
I have no idea what I'm going to cook this Thanksgiving. 

Getting my house in shape, where we'll want to cook is going to be a major task!!

I have scheduled the movers to come on Tuesday to move the bar out of the house, yet another time. (That's why I have not bugged you with more questions yet Winetender) It's going down to the studio so we can all be hammered there along with all of the other construction stuff.

Then I've got a leather sofa and the coffee table from hell arriving to go into the den at the house.

More things going into my bedroom, which means I have to CLEAN IT... Oh Nooooooooo!!!  One reason it's not put together, is that I need the furniture to put my clothes in.  In order to get the furniture in, to put my clothes away... I have to clean the room... OMG!!!  HELP!!!!  I hate this.  When things are put together, I can keep them that way... but let it get out of hand and ENTROPY becomes my lover. 

... and speaking of turkeys... I suppose that's what I'll cook, but really I'll be thankful on thanksgiving, to have my house ready to have a cozy time with Mom and my son.

Geeeeeeennnnnnnoooooooooo.........  I'm having a 3 person Thanksgiving as opposed to you and your 5,000 relatives.  lol

I like your "Friendsgiving" idea MM!!!  That's very cool!!!

pnyyoung... I miss NY around this time of year!!  Maybe next year I'll take Mom back there.  I grew up outside of Philly, so we have good memories of back east there too... but NY was our backyard as well, and I want Mom to feel that energy again.  My son is a California guy all the way; but he loved NY the one time were there a few years back... That was in the summer though... he's never had the winter wonderland experience.

Please nobody tell me about knocking a duck upside the head.  I'm experiencing enough trauma about turkeys. Confused

Mixey
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic