Soulful Planet  Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Soul of Six > Music General > Geek Bucket
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

STUDIO TALK & SESSIONS !!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 17 2009 at 9:58am
HAH!  LOL

Haven't thought about those misdeeds of yesteryear in quite a while... the midnight stealth rides in the comet!  Yeah.

The old daze...   lol... I remember hanging out in your attic bedroom/studio back in the day... I was always impressed by how you'd put on the LP of "Close To The Edge" and play and sing along, pretty much just nailing everything! And we were in 9th grade at the time! That's pretty damn good musicianship.

Jeff
MickeyMac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickeyMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 17 2009 at 6:10pm
The engineering part is so crucial to a recording, I dont think people know how much it is.

Its a pity we dont have Russ Terrana posting here, I am sure he has some great stories to tell.
Anybody else missing George Bush besides me?
Gene_Leone_Mix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 18 2009 at 4:13am
Ok, Everybody...

From the department of:
That Wonderful Vinyl Record LP Audio Experience That Many of Us Remember Fondly, Still Love & Often, Miss Greatly in Today's Music... *lol*

Well lookie lookie here... this is a pretty interesting article/PR piece...

— VINYL RECORD SOUND QUALITY THRIVES AT US PLANT —               
Written by Robert Benson
Wednesday, 16 September 2009
... "“We think there are two main reasons that vinyl is making a resurgence. The first is that consumers are re-discovering (or discovering for the first time) that listening to a vinyl record is completely different than listening to a CD or a downloaded song. The quality of sound is clearly better with richer tones since a vinyl record plays exactly how an artist recorded the song with no loss of translation to a digital format. There is also an entire experience of listening to a record which is missing from CDs and MP3’s.
Selecting the record, taking it out of the sleeve, putting it on the turntable, looking over the jacket and liner notes; these actions combine to create an actual ‘experience’ of listening. Listening to a record is in and of itself, the activity.
Listening to an MP3 is generally done while doing something else and is more often than not, a background activity,” said Manish.

“The second reason for the resurgence in vinyl records is that artists and labels are once again embracing the format. Artists love the sound of vinyl and feel it’s a truer representation of their music. Labels are realizing that although the raw sales of vinyl are low compared to CDs, the margins are much higher and are paying attention to this new revenue source in the face of decreasing CD sales and increasing digital downloads.”

“The combination of consumer interest and interest from the labels is what is fueling this growth.... "...

~~~

Not to mention that it is obviously far more difficult to bootleg/fileshare a Vinyl "physical copy" of an Artist's Work than it is to fileshare an illegal "stolen" MP3 or a ripped CD.

Pro & Con Thoughts?
~BigSmiles & Keep Listening,
Genooooo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 25 2009 at 8:26pm
Ok, I just saw this on Joe's (Joe Tarsia's) FB page...
Yup, the first automation I ever used was "Memories Little Helper", at Sigma Sound Studios... and here's Joe talking about it

~BigSmiles & Go Joe!!!
~Geno

p.s. Joe, Happy 75th Birthday, too!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2009 at 3:34am
I know I should be shopping for the Holidays...
but right now, ... what am I thinking about? ...
["Loudness Wars"] and the ongoing destruction of quality in a lot of "music"
through "loud"... but "really bad"... mastering decisions...

And these Loudness Wars" are continuing into 2010.

and related...

Mix Blog -5 Worst Audio Trends of the Noughties
Kevin Becka December 18th, 2009 - Mix Blog

and also related...

and in "Pop" Music... and from 2 years ago, written on this exact day...
(see my post above)
... not much "quality wise" has improved.

The Death of High Fidelity
In the age of MP3s, sound quality is worse than ever

ROBERT LEVINE - www.rollingstone.com/
"... ... Over the past decade and a half, a revolution in recording technology has changed the way albums are produced, mixed and mastered — almost always for the worse. "They make it loud to get [listeners'] attention," Bendeth says. Engineers do that by applying dynamic range compression, which reduces the difference between the loudest and softest sounds in a song. Like many of his peers, Bendeth believes that relying too much on this effect can obscure sonic detail, rob music of its emotional power and leave listeners with what engineers call ear fatigue. "I think most everything is mastered a little too loud," Bendeth says. "The industry decided that it's a volume contest."

Producers and engineers call this "the loudness war," and it has changed the way almost every new pop and rock album sounds. But volume isn't the only issue. Computer programs like Pro Tools, which let audio engineers manipulate sound the way a word processor edits text, make musicians sound unnaturally perfect. And today's listeners consume an increasing amount of music on MP3, which eliminates much of the data from the original CD file and can leave music sounding tinny or hollow. "With all the technical innovation, music sounds worse," says Steely Dan's Donald Fagen, who has made what are considered some of the best-sounding records of all time. "God is in the details. But there are no details anymore."

The idea that engineers make albums louder might seem strange: Isn't volume controlled by that knob on the stereo? Yes, but every setting on that dial delivers a range of loudness, from a hushed vocal to a kick drum — and pushing sounds toward the top of that range makes music seem louder. It's the same technique used to make television commercials stand out from shows. And it does grab listeners' attention — but at a price. Last year, Bob Dylan told Rolling Stone that modern albums "have sound all over them. There's no definition of nothing, no vocal, no nothing, just like — static."... ... ..."
(continued here)

We'll see if "quality in music" starts to make a comeback this year!
High Hopes, here... and Happy Holidays, too.
~Geno

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2009 at 3:57am
One more example to "hear the relative quality difference"....
when the "consumer" is allowed to set their own final "volume -stereo knob comfort level"... when the two examples are compared, side by side at that comfort level.

(Note: ... typo city on the text in this video, but the audio gets the point across well.)

and...

(note the dynamics and "feel" of the snare drum ((and guitar, regardless of the panning difference)) in relation to the other instruments.)

M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2009 at 4:15am

Anything that comes out of my place is going out on Vinyl. 

If nobody plays it because it's not ear bleeding enough, that's fine with me.

Mixey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2010 at 9:50am
The Loudness Wars ....
NPR "All Things Considered"
Interview with Bob Ludwig and Dr Oxenham ...

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=122114058
(Ciick to listen)

Jeff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2010 at 11:46am
I'll have to listen to that one, Geno. Bob Ludwig is a mastering God.

Yeah ... the loudness DISEASE... a terrible hoax on all us listeners.

I find that waveforms that are squashed to the ceiling are very fatiguing to listen to. I can enjoy tracks like that for a time, but my ears tire of the assault after a while. Recordings I've done with heavy metal bands have been some of my biggest challenges.
Jeff
Jeff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 24 2012 at 8:37am

I've decided to acquire some new hardware and software for the home studio
and I'm really looking forward to having this new capability.

I've just a tiny space to use at home "as a studio". There isn't enough
space for musicians to come play in; I'm set up more like a small music lab
that can comfortably facilitate one person's work.

I already possess some outboard gear, a variety of recorders and some good
close-field and mid-field monitors. What I've lacked are the musical instruments
that will enable me to compose and record my own music, and I decided this
had to change.

Big, beautiful sounds are most important to me and these very affordable tools will deliver all that.

Here is what I have my sights set on...

This first link will take you to Synthogy's website, manufacturer of "Ivory II".
Ivory II's Grand Pianos have been embraced by the best keyboard players out
there - including Mike Garson. It's sounds and capabilities are astonishing.
This website offers some audio demos of Ivory II's different piano patches...

This is a YouTube Video of a live demonstration by Eric Pershing, founder of
Spectrasonics, manufacturer of "Trilian", a digital bass module that offers
equally astonishing sounds... be sure to check out the latter part of this video
where Pershing demos the acoustic bass sounds ... they're fantastic...

The live demonstration by Eric Pershing continues ... he demos the synthesizer "Omnisphere"
in conjunction with their rhythm module "Stylus RMX"...

Jeff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 25 2012 at 2:37am

Jeff!!!

Astonishing is right!!!
Wow, I am in love with the incredible sound of the demos in this
S Y N T H O G Y Ivory II software package... unreal!!!

—http://www.synthogy.com/demos/grandpiano.html —

Synthogy -Mike_Garson - "Things" (click to play this demo)

p.s: Mike... Wow!
Excellent composition and performance, as always,
and I am blown away by how awesome this software sounds!!!
Oh hell Yeah!!! ~Geno

––••––
I also very much like this one as well...

Synthogy - Geoffrey Gee - "Too Many Tomatoes" (click to play this demo)

––••––

Outstanding!!!
~Geno

Jeff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 25 2012 at 7:13pm

Yes indeed... I'm really looking forward to having these sounds in my studio.
They're going to turbocharge the creative process. Smile

But right now I'm researching a very important piece - a GOOD 88 key controller.

Anybody have any suggestions? (Mfg./model?) Pros/cons?

AND I need to weigh the merits of a fully weighted keyboard vs. a
semi/partially weighted keyboard... I'm not a seasoned keyboard player and
I have suffered a moderate loss of dexterity in my right hand from an accident
37 years ago... but despite that, my inclination is to go for the most realistic
keyboard action that's available because I'd want clients and accomplished
players to feel more comfortable playing in my space.

But then again, a semi-weighted action might make playing easier for my right hand...
and I'm doing most of the work and playing in this space... I need to look into
this issue. And go out there and bang on some keyboards.
More to come.

Jeff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2012 at 11:03am
Jeff...
"... And go out there and bang on some keyboards."

That sounds like the answer. I do remember Crocket and I having a conversation about weighted keyboards, he loved them, but hauling them around from gig to gig was no picnic because of the total weight being like a big bulky boat anchor.
They are awesome in a dedicated, fixed, sweet spot, studio location. But most important trust your gut, and get what works best for your situation. IMHO ~Geno
Jeff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2012 at 8:54am

Thanks Geno.

I agree ... the keyboard should be a good fit for me and my particular needs.
The only way I'll know is to get out there and bang on some keyboards ...
I'll eventually find the one with the action and the feature set that works for me.

I just keep thinking about the scenario of other players ... I know that
from time to time I'll want to invite certain players to come by and track
some things and my gut tells me that 99% of them would prefer a
weighted keyboard.

And as you alluded to - this one would be set up in my home studio and
NOT lugged around to gigs; so weight and size are less of a concern.

More to come ...  Smile

Jeff
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic