Soulful Planet  Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Soul of Six > Music Meccas
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SoulTrip USA - CHICAGO

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SoulTrip USA - CHICAGO
    Posted: Feb 18 2009 at 11:52am

I will be attending SoulTrip with my dad- Larry, on Sat. March 7 since mom won't be able to make the trip. The gathering will be hosted by DJ /promoter Kev Roberts at Embassdor Hotel.  I'll give you details on the nights event. It will feature many 60s Chicago artist.

- Don
Soul Sister View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2009 at 12:25pm
COOOOOOOOOOOOL  Don!

Give us all the details about the fun you & Larry had when you return. Big%20smile

S.S.
"Love Is The Answer" ~ Little Jeanie Scott
dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2009 at 3:59pm
Wonderful, Don!!!

Can't wait to hear all about it.  I hope you and Larry have a terrific time. Smile

dream
http://cdbaby.com/cd/eugenepitt
Don1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2009 at 8:32pm
The tickets came in the mail today. I'll let you you all in on the SoulTrip gathering, cool?

- Don
winetender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote winetender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2009 at 8:36pm
 Hi Don! Please do, It sounds like a lot of fun ~ Nora
Tempt Me!
Don1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2009 at 12:33pm
My good friend Elaine sent me a email and told me about this link.

Go to www.classicurbanharmony.net for details.

Look on the left side of the page and look for SoulTrip USA.

- Donn

dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2009 at 2:41pm
Don,

I have this link in my favorites.  S.S. turned me on to the Horners a while ago.

I haven't visited the site lately until today.  I saw the photos from the trip and I believe I saw your Dad, Larry, with the Majors!!!

What a great site and it's a must for anyone who loves vocal group harmony.  Thanks for bringing this toiour attention.Thumbs%20Up

dream
http://cdbaby.com/cd/eugenepitt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 21 2009 at 8:42am
Hi Don,
Thanks for the 411 in the email. I will be in touch later re: Jimmy's  early discography.

Love seeing the recent 'photo' of Vows/Majors IV.   Good stuff, Charles is the premiere historian on vocal groups 1940's on...........
He's a good contact to have, he's found news articles & pics of Jimmy from 1947 and sent them to me, a very nice man who's totally dedicated to the music.

S.S.

M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 21 2009 at 6:48pm
Donn!! 

I LOVE the Horner's site!  I'm reading part 2 of Richard Barrett and the Teenagers right now.

Excellent writing by Charlie Horner, with contributions by Pamela Horner and Val Shively. 

Please post your link in the favorite links section if you would please.  Smile

I appreciate it. 

Thanks,
Mixey
Don1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 21 2009 at 7:58pm
Dream, Soul Sister and Mixey

Thanks for posting.

Go to www.goldsoul.co.uk/gallery.htm and click Soul Gallery,

On the page at top are pics of Chicago SoulTrip USA
( click pics to enlarge )

On the page at bottom are pics of Detroit SoulTrip USA
( direct mouse to enlarge pics )

ps
There are some pics from Chi that's already reconizable, there are many other pics that's included with Detroit pics. Don't think there were many
pics of Det. 

- Don
Don1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 22 2009 at 11:42am

Dream, Soul Sister, Winetender and Ms. Mixey- All I can say is I had a wonder ful time and I made all the rounds. If I had a dollar for each person that I met and talked to who attended STUSA, I'd be well off for a few months.

Dream:
The whole group The Vows, Major's and Major IV were there - Larry, Kurt, Berl and Lawrence. The only person you don't see a photo taken of the group is Fuzzy, he stood off to the far far right. I don't know where I was. I think I was in the V.I.P. room chating with Chi-Town's finest. Though I wished bassist James of the group were there.

This is what happened gang.

When dad and myself could get into the hotel we were approached by one of Kev Roberts traveling troope members and she reconized dad right away. And she chatted with him awhile. Boy oh boy was he surprised. We got into the lobby dad signed his name on the STUSA poster as a Vow. I thought to myself how come he didn't sign in as a Major since this was a Chicago happening, anyway....

Before the elevator came we met two of Sam Cooke's family members - a cousin and a nephew. The nephew was talkative while the cousin was shy and quiet. We met Redale Israel from the Esquires - Zeke Brown from the Blenders, Calvaes, Eldorados, Spellbinders, etc. - and Mack Jay Jordan of the Ebon Knights. 

We all got into the same elevator to go up to the seconf floor. I looked into the entertainment section and bar was, and met the NS'ers who always make the trip with Kev, who's names and faces I reconized since STUSA first started - whom I forum with on other sites. Oh boy was I surprised? And was told I was glad I made it. They asked who i came with
I told them. Boy, oh boy, they were surprised themselfs.

We made it to the second floor and i made a quick peep into the entertainment and bar section and wondered where the music was coming from? And I got a chance to chat with them and told them I'd be back as soon as I can. Before I could catch up with dad I spotted a face of a girl that look filmiliar - I'll get to that later. When I caught up with dad we met Marshall of the Chi-Lites for a minute.

We both seen Bobby of Channel 3 and of the Notations leaving the area as we were going there. Bobby is something else. He had two V.I.P. collars one said Channel 3 and the other had a color picture of the Note's - that was funny - lol!

Before we could reach the V.I.P. area I spotted Dave Moore from There's That Beat magazine. I told him that I knew of a couple from over in the U.K. whom I correspond with often. I'm pretty sure he found out later what I said to him was legit. I wonder if he recalls Kitty J who once posted on his forum {hint}. I found out later he got dad to sign him a autograph for him, too, and a brief chat.

We found the rest of the Vows/Major IV in the V.I.P. room including three surving members of the Traits/Center Stage. Kurt Davis is a character. He had two V.I.P. collars one read the Traits and Center Stage, and the other read The Major's?? That was funny!

I also met Bobby Womack's sister, She said she was a Womack but on her V.I.P. collar she went by her married name. I asked her about her time doing background work at the Paul Serrano studios and working with the cousin and former member of the Emotions - Cynthia Davis; and the sister of Maurice, Verdine and Fred White of Earth, Wind & Fire as background vocalist for sessions & jiggles. She also wanted me to know that she was also a member of the Chicago group Alonzo and the Steelers for awhile. It was double-ly nice to meet her family who came along. She didn't stay around long enough at the gala for a in depth conversation.

When Marvin Smith showed up Kurt Davis sung a couple of tunes with his early group, and sang For Marvin two of the Artistics big hits. One was "I'm Gonna Miss You'' and the other I can't recall. They sounded great. 

I got a chance to talk with Zeke Brown again and he told me all about his time with the Spellbinders and  the Blenders and a lot of groups he was with. He was very friendly about it. And we met a family friend representing the Daylighters, Sheppards and Sharpees (The label of groups of the late Bunky Sheppard), John Carter of the Kool Gents, the group that was formed by  singer Cicero Blake before he changed into a blues/soul singer. Later on I talked with Cicero and his daughter. Dad knew him when he was a teenager when he sung doowop with the Kool Gents and talked with the both of us a long time. 

I made it back to the entertainment area and got a chance meet all my NS friends. I was there for a brief spell, and met a couple of folks standing at a standing table who were reading Chicago Soul (and the first thing that came to mind I wondered if Robert Pruter was around?), they asked me who I were and I told the couple who am I I'am. The son of Larry Montgomery of the Vows and Major's. I mentioned the Major's because everyone from the American and Northern Soul scene knows about "Lost In A City," also they recorded as the Majors and/or as the Major IV on Venture Records; and a earlier recording (latter release as Fuzzy and the Majors on People Records. I read with them Pruters book that didn't? have the info of the group members, including the Kittens originally, to substitute fill-in members, on down to a trio later.

"Please I wasn't there spotlighting myself and was asked about facts and truths I do know." I was acting as a go between or more like a PR of some sorts? I always been a mascott of the group since back in the days. This wasn't my night it wasn't mine. I told them to ask and talk with dad. 

The girl I spotted earlier was the other daughter or granddaughter of ''The Major" Major Lance. I found out later after looking at the replay airings of The Soul Train Reunion Show that it was her dancin', and she wore a sleeveless white top?. I have to admit I didn't have a chance to speak with her, and had to get back to where the Chi-Town artists we're.

When I was heading back I did get a chance to talk with Dave Moore of There's That Beat again. I just wanted to let him know how much I appreciated the wonderful articules him and his team writes. Especially the Mike Terry acticle too, and I talked about that too, and yes I told David that I remember Terry when he worked with label owner Ric Williams and "Joshie" Jo Armstead, and the Brothers of Soul. I wasn't that young not to know.

Fuzzy of the group and thee other member of Kurt Davis' group didn't do too much miggling. They did sign autographs and took pics, I think? but not sure. I do know that Kurt and Kenny Rightout took a couple of photo and signed some things. I remember somone I forget who took my pic with them. It could been ST group or Charlie & Pam Horner. I left out that I took another pic with someone before the entertainment began.

When I could get into the area I spotted the British woman from earlier in the evening when we arrived talking with dad, again. 

Before I could get off my feet for a second. A guy with a camera with a real
film camera spoke with me and wanted me to introduce The Vows/Major IV
and talk me into s

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2009 at 4:46pm
WOW!!! StarDon!!!!Star
   Thanks for all you posted, that was alot of work, thanks for sharing all that! ClapClapClapClapClap

I'll be back when I have more time.

S.S.
M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2009 at 5:41pm
Donn!!

Awesome account! ClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClap

I'm so busy looking people up from your post; and enjoying everything! 

We're going to have to give you a SoulfulPlanet VIP collar... to go along with the ones you deserve, even though you said it "wasn't your night" and "your a mascot".  You're definitely a VIP in my eyes, and I'm sure your mom and dad and a lot of people you spoke with feel that way too.

Thank you so much!

A word on posting.  I've had my words evaporate sometimes too, before they post.  Go to edit and copy on your computer, before you hit post, so it that happens, you don't have to compose it all over again.

That just happened to me, after I composed a huge thread about San Diego this weekend for the Soulful Cities area here.  I forgot to select all and copy first... and poof!  I was so burned up, that I went to sleep for an hour in the middle of the day. lol

Anyway... Thanks again.  I'm going back to reading.  If you have any pictures, please put them up.  I'd love to see what the "sardines" looked like.  Hey... That's a good name for a group... The Sardines... They could have routines that are all packed together, and only sing unison.  Thumbs%20UpLOLSmile

Mixey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2009 at 11:41am
Hey Don,
I am back, whewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww...................... I read it all thoroughly this time, that was quite alot you took in, you were a busy man but sounds like you & Larry did enjoy yourselves catching up will old friends and peers.  Quite an event to go to.
Thanks for posting all that.  I enjoyed reading it all. Big%20smile

S.S.
Don1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2009 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by M I X E Y M I X E Y wrote:

Donn!!

Awesome account! ClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClap

I'm so busy looking people up from your post; and enjoying everything! 

We're going to have to give you a SoulfulPlanet VIP collar... to go along with the ones you deserve, even though you said it "wasn't your night" and "your a mascot".  You're definitely a VIP in my eyes, and I'm sure your mom and dad and a lot of people you spoke with feel that way too.

Thank you so much!

A word on posting.  I've had my words evaporate sometimes too, before they post.  Go to edit and copy on your computer, before you hit post, so it that happens, you don't have to compose it all over again.

That just happened to me, after I composed a huge thread about San Diego this weekend for the Soulful Cities area here.  I forgot to select all and copy first... and poof!  I was so burned up, that I went to sleep for an hour in the middle of the day. lol

Anyway... Thanks again.  I'm going back to reading.  If you have any pictures, please put them up.  I'd love to see what the "sardines" looked like.  Hey... That's a good name for a group... The Sardines... They could have routines that are all packed together, and only sing unison.  Thumbs%20UpLOLSmile

Mixey

We had no problem finding the hotel, in fact, the group did alot of gigging around the Gold Coast where the hotel is located. The GC is centered between the northside and downtown Chicago. The Embassador East is just a block over from where Ran-Dee/Markie records, and right next door is the Playboy mansion. If I would have met the Honners I could have shown them.

Yes the night didn't belong to me it for the group. Believe me when I say this, I don't know if the rest of the group had any idea how the event went. They we're shocked and surprised about the whole experience....I tried to tell them a while back ago. Now they seen it for themselfs. Fuzzy of the Vows/M IV was surprised to see Alonzo Wells from the Steelers there and the Dontells, since he knows them. Kurt Davis and dad did a lot of miggling with the fans, signing autographs, taking pictures and being interviewed. I heard many say that dad and Kurt hadn't changed and looked the same from earlier group photos....I believe that Cubbie from the (5) Stairsteps & Cubbie was there, and he reconized dad too?

I told Kurt that I had no idea that he knew many of the artist that came.
He called about a week ago and said he had a great time.

Mixey: I was so busy prepairing myself to be there that nite that I forgot to take the camera and my autograph book that had like a thousand pages - let's just say I was being rushed.  
A group named the Sardines? That sounds like an ideal like a record producer who'd used to come up with names when he used to work with the Brown's at Fortune Records - lol !!

- Don

Don1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2009 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by Soul Sister Soul Sister wrote:

Hey Don,
I am back, whewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww...................... I read it all thoroughly this time, that was quite alot you took in, you were a busy man but sounds like you & Larry did enjoy yourselves catching up will old friends and peers.  Quite an event to go to.
Thanks for posting all that.  I enjoyed reading it all. Big%20smile

S.S.
I did get a chance to speak with the Honners - I don't know if they remember talking with me. I know I said hello to Charlie, and Pam talked to me for a minute or two. When I first seen the Honners (Charlie & Pam) they looked like professors or teachers.

Donn
Don1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2009 at 1:18pm
I THINK CHICAGO AND DETROIT SHOULD MERGE TOGETHER AS ONE WHEN IT COMES TO EVENTS SUCH AS THIS. MANY ARTIST ARE PASSING AWAY AND A LOT OF ARTIST THAT'S STILL HERE SHOULD BE RECONIZED AND ACKNOWLEGDED.

LARRY MONTGOMERY
VOWS / MAJOR IV

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2009 at 6:26pm
Hey Don,
I know what you mean about the Professors (lol)....in a way they are, Charlie is certainly a professor in Black Music History as well as doo wop.

Larry, that is an excellent idea since the cities are close enough to make that happen.

S.S.
Don1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2009 at 12:42pm
Hi Sis,
Oh, so you say.

I think Pam of the Honners was interested in harmony groups from the 1950's it seemed. She asked me if dad sung with groups in the 50's. I said to her when the group was earlier known as the Vows they made a vocal harmony cut called "Girl in Red" on the Ran-Dee label, the A side was Andre Williams' r&b song entitled "Born with The Rhythm." She said she do recall the record and asked what year it was released. I told her it was released in 63 but the song was composed in 57 when he was with a local neighborhood (Northside) group. I kinda recall her talking with dad when he strolled up afterwards. He probaly signed something for her too.

I also like to acknowledge and from the pics I've I did see SP member Gene (Leone Mix) there. I was trying to reconize him 'cause his face did look filmilliar from all the STUSA pics I'd seen since the time ST started. If
I had of known it was Gene I would have talked with him, too.

I have a list of artist that were supposed to attend. IT seems I misplaced it. I'll find it though.

ps

Soul Sis: Dad says thanks for responding back.

- Donn
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic