Soulful Planet  Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Soul of Six > The Village > Town Hall
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Soulful Planet Farms

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Soulful Planet Farms
    Posted: Aug 11 2011 at 3:48pm
This thread was started as part of the $$ JOBS $$ thread in the Town Hall.

We began this new thread as requested, and moved the pertenant posts from the Jobs thread here.

Mixey

S. P. A. T.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I'm laughing about what it would be like if I sold everything I have and got a big farm somewhere and we all decided to live there together.

Would we get any work done?   

What would be grow? Toad... I'm sure you have some ideas, but I don't know if we can eat that stuff. Would we care?

We'd all have a lot of guitars to play. We'd be guitar children of the corn.

LooooooooL!

Mixey
toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 11 2011 at 3:59pm
     We could grow reefer if we could hide from the
 helocopters. What we didn't barter we could toke..Wacko
    I'm NOT shoveling cow or horse shit. Been there done that. I will raise the hogs.Pig I Can't live without Bacon.
 No Lambs !!!!!Dead

toad
Down, and nearly out in Detroit......
dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 11 2011 at 4:17pm
LOLLOLLOLLOLClap

It sounds good to me.  Toad, I would make pets out of all the livestock, so we'd better grow a lot of veggies.  I'd take the pigs out Sundays for an ice cream - surely we'll have enough pick up trucks to do it.LOL  Speaking of sh*t - is there anything worse than hog manure?  Chicken, maybe.  I don't mind shoveling up after the horses.

I love goats, so if we can't have any lambs, what about goats for milk, cheese and keeping the grass low?  We might have a side business selling various kinds of goat cheese and cow's cheese.  We could have a veggie/fruit stand as well.  Toad could write a recipe book to sell along with the produce.

Maybe we ladies could start a jewelry biz on the side.  We could design it, or maybe sell what we have as if we did.Wink

I think this is a brilliant idea, Mixey.  Soulful Planet Farms - why not???!!!ClapClapClap

dream
http://cdbaby.com/cd/eugenepitt
M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 11 2011 at 7:26pm
I'm loving this!!!    

Dream, I'm with you. We're going to have to wrestle the hogs away from bacon craving Toad. I'll be naming them and making a nice bed for them somewhere beneath the reefer trees. I don't mind shoveling poop. We can take turns getting the compost going too, but I think Geno will have that covered. He & Marty are experts at compost!!! (Post pictures of your worms Geno!)

Horses? I LOVE horses!

Toad... but we have to have sheep for cheese too and wool. I know how to make cloth and sew.

Goat cheese is good and goats are a plus for the "trimming", as you say Dream. I'm not so sure we'd be making a business out of making cheese other than maybe a few wheels for us and the neighbors, though. That would require a whole lot of animals. I'm for having chickens running around for real eggs for a change!

Toad... you're the fisherman. We have to be near a lake, river or ocean.

I like the jewelry idea Dream. I'm actually doing a little of that now. I have an ability with casting and lost wax and carving and working with stones and clay too. You and Soul Sister have great taste when it comes to jewelry! We could have a good time with this, but it's making me laugh too, because we just jumped into gold and silver... oh noooooo!

Lots of vegetables and fruits... heirloom, organic... all the good non GMO stuff. We might as well eat healthier and better during an economic crisis!

Yes... Toad will have a lot to go into the cookbook.

We're going to need a lot of power to run Geno's studio. Hey Geno... I have an SSL already. Maybe the thing will finally see some USE! Good grief!

Now comes the tricky part. Where's the farm going to be?

This is better than Farmville!

Mixey
dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 12 2011 at 6:58am
I'm getting hungry just thinking of all the fresh produce and farm made cheese.  We should have sheep, too.   Goat & sheep cheese are delicious and can be mixed with herbs and garlic from our gardens.  Chickens, absolutely, for fresh eggs.  We can buy or barter for the bacon Toad wants.  The pigs will be pets like all the other animals.

I'll share poop duty with you, Mixey.  I'll never get my domestic goddess license - I flunked home ec in the 7th grade for cooking and sewing.  I do like to clean, however, and so does Soul Sister.  Good therapy. lol

Yes, Soul Sister and I love our silver jewelry.  Both of us have substantial amounts of it, although she has me beat.  We also love handbags and would be good at designing them, but I don't want the fine leather to come from our livestock. lol

Between Geno's studio and Toad's guitars, we might get some groups to record there.  Who knows where that could lead.  If we have enough land, maybe we could do some Woodstock style concerts.

Where should the farm be??  That's the big question.  I know Soul Sister and I would love the lake or ocean idea.  We're both East Coasters at heart.  There must be some good farm land in New Jersey, Pennsylvania & upstate New York close to lakes.  Daryl Hall has a gorgeous farm in upstate NY where he tapes his internet show.  I think there's land around where he is.  He said he left Connecticut because it became too crowded there.  That way would be close to NYC, but not too close.  We could venture to the big city when we want to.  We'd have the four seasons in the East, too, and I must say I like that.

Now that Jeff and Maggie are close to being empty nesters, we need to get them involved.

Some creative ideas here, Folks.  Keep 'em coming!!Clap

dream
toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 12 2011 at 8:28am
        I'll drive the tractor,lawn mower,play mechanic,
 rig up a smoke house, and cook up some killer meals
 providing all the critters aren't pets with names.
 You can name them when they are on a platter.LOL
     I already have a complete tool box,portable
 music workstation,4 basses,amps, nice used car,
 and a will to do this. I'll go anywhere that isn't
 excessive HOT or where the air is thin. A lake
 nearby would be cool too. Fresh fish rules !
     Any farm would be better than Cadavor Commons
 where I am now...yee gadOuch
    Someplace in Canada? That would end all our
 oppressive political issues for EVER !!!! They Like
 new immigrants up there !Hug

toad
Down, and nearly out in Detroit......
Soul Sister View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 12 2011 at 11:55am
Hi All,
This was amusing and fun to read!!

I thought of different ideas over the years and once did sell crafts, native inspired products, & jewelry under the headings of "Northern Dreams" and "Moondancer Trading" at craft shows and flea markets.

I thought of selling re-purposed old furniture, sort of like shabby-chic long ago but never did.  Ya` know fix it up into something cool.  Now I see television shows of people collecting old junk and doing just that, such as "American Pickers" on the History Channel and the new one "Sister Pickers" on the Lifetime Channel.  They travel around the backroads of American buying junk to re-purpose it and sell in their shops.

I don't mind cleaning dog or horse poop but not sloppy animals poop in ankle deep mud.   Of course, growing basic veggies is always good. However, I am not interested in a farm.  I want to buy back my childhood log ranch home on the lake! LOL!!!  My dream~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~my father built this house in 1954-55.  The surroungs are so serene and beautiful in all seasons.  Plus it's a historical area in the Ramapo Mountains of northern N.J. bordering the N.Y. state line.  Lots of cool things to do in the area.  About an hour or so to N.Y.C. and a bout 2 hours to the Jersey Shore or Long Island beaches.  This lake  and other lakes in the area are all good for swimming, boating, fishing, hiking, etc....whatever is your pleasure.  My dream was to buy my family house back and the two houses on each side of it for BFF's.  Live there year round and go to the Caribbean Island Antigua for a month or two every year at different times.  Now you know my dreams.  Tongue

Here's my house:

S.S.
"Love Is The Answer" ~ Little Jeanie Scott

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 12 2011 at 11:59am
More photos of my house:

S.S.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 12 2011 at 12:01pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 12 2011 at 12:03pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 12 2011 at 12:05pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 12 2011 at 12:14pm
What more could a baby boomer want Big%20smile!!!

Plus there is an abundance of fun things to do in the area. 

Fun, fun, fun, and retirement pleasure!!!

Only if I could afford to do that, lol, maybe one day.  Some dreams can come true and I am hoping on this one more than anything especially at this stage of my life.  My fantasy, my dream~~~~~~~

What's your's???

Heart,
S.S.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 12 2011 at 1:12pm
Antigua Paradise ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Island dreaming ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 12 2011 at 1:21pm
Antigua nice ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

S.S.
***     Still dreaming, lol! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 12 2011 at 1:22pm
BEAUTIFUL pics, S.S..   The photos of your house show up nicely here on SP.  You know I'm right there with you.  It's hard to beat the Northeast and it's beauty year round.  I love the four seasons. 

My dream would be to be close to you in the same area, next door or in a separate part of the house.  The area is very reminicent of where I live now, but it has the advantage of being close to NYC and all the shows I'd love to go to.  I actually love the city.  It has an excitement and vibe to it like nowhere else.

I'd love to be able to travel a little - like I've always said I want to eat my way through Italy.LOL  I'd even give Antigua a go at least once.  I'd like to visit the wolf sanctuaries in the West that we've talked about, and we share a love of decorating.  I've helped a friend decorate and stage a few places here, and it's lots of fun to poke around and find bargains that fit the bill.

Of course, pets would have to be part of the picture.  Your dog training expertise would come in handy!

I hope and pray the dreams of everyone on SP come true.  Dreaming is good for us.  Let's hope they become a reality.

dream

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 12 2011 at 1:29pm

dream,

I'm all for that dream Smile big time!!!

Yes, we could do all those things you mentioned and lots more!!!
I would like to get another German Shepherd Dog or two again to train and protect the house.

I could take you to Antiqua in April during sailing week, it's less hotter then and I know you'd enjoy the regatta  cup race.

Living on a mountain lake year round with the seasonal changes are beautiful to see.

Keep the faith!
S.S.
MickeyMac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickeyMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 12 2011 at 2:00pm
Soul Sister forgive me for being so forward but I love the bathing suit pic.

No wonder Mr. Scott has a smile on his face in all of his photos Smile
Anybody else missing George Bush besides me?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 12 2011 at 2:13pm
LOL>@ M.M.,
I gained weight since then.  But thank you. LOL

S.S.
dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 12 2011 at 3:13pm
OH!!!  You must have been posting the Antigua photos while I was typing.LOL  Love them, and you bet I'd love the regatta races.  You're looking great in those photos.  I've seen them before, but they appear bigger on SP.  NICE!!

I am keeping the faith we'll be able to do these things one day.

dreamSmile
s. p. a. t. View Drop Down
AdminTeam
AdminTeam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s. p. a. t. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 13 2011 at 7:25am
I enjoyed listening to those Geno! Loved the one by Keb Mo, especially!

Soul Sister... your pictures!!! You're a 10!

I can see why you're dreaming of your log home. How would you plan on getting it back? Is it up for sale... or do you have to buy it back from a family member? Gorgeous location! I can smell the leaves and the river. Your deck reminds me of Geno's D Street deck in the trees like that.

Dream...   The first thing my 7th grade home ec teacher taught us to make was chocolate coffee. I was awake for days and my parents hit the roof! I'm glad you and Soul Sister like cleaning. I hate hate hate cleaning! I do it, but I'm pissed off the whole time. I'm definitely better in the kitchen. Herbed cheese & fresh eggs! Yummmmm! We'll put up a sign... "We Barter For Bacon". lol lol

If we invite everyone we know to play a festival, Clear Channel might throw us out of the US and we'll end up in Canada anyway, Toad... and no matter were we are, I'm not naming the meat on my plate!

Jeff... You're not going to have to work until you drop. If we keep this farm/dream idea going, we might all make everybody's dreams come true whatever they may be. We all have our ideas about what kind of life-style we want to live. All of that is great to respect and wish for each other.

Seriously... All of you are SNOW people... with a possible tropical getaway now and then. I grew up on the east coast, and although I have great memories there, I couldn't wait to move to California. San Diego has beautiful weather year round. Even so... I could live just about anywhere... but Like Toad, I can't stand HEAT! Blazing hot and humid or blistering hot and dry isn't where I want to be. I'm also not real knocked out about freezing my fingers off.

Maybe we should make a plan together that if things get massively out of hand due to who knows what... economic disaster... or natural disaster or whatever... at least we will have our basic needs covered and somewhere to be OK. There's safety in numbers and we already know we've got a track record with each other here. That says a lot to me in terms of the faith I would have in all of you.

Sometimes just the idea that a disaster plan exists, is enough to empower us creatively and individually towards achieving our personal dreams.

I have a goal of going from zero income to doing better than I was, which was pretty well. To give you an idea of the potential disaster I'm facing... I have to figure out how to make around 40,000 per month from ZERO in very little time... or Mom and I will lose everything.

I have a choice of putting my attention on selling off everything, which would take a lot of time... and I'd still end up with starting from scratch and possibly facing ZERO anyway. I could go the lawsuit direction and sue the greedy f**kers who broke our agreement and took over my business. That would make the lawyers rich, would take a long time, and I would win, but still would probably be in a tent while I was trying to collect on a judgement against a company that they'd most likely bankrupt and transfer into another name. That's how THEY play. I don't enjoy that game. I too can be good at it, but it'll make me sick along the way. It's better for me to just focus on making money with something else. I have an idea; and I'll know if it's going to work in the next few weeks.

If my idea works, maybe it would be good for me to buy a decent size piece of land somewhere. I wouldn't mind if it was back east, because I would still be living here, and I'd build a little place there too. I wouldn't mind having an organic farm back east as well as one out here. We'd have a great variety to choose from that way.

I'm really loving this!

Everyone has talent in some area; but if we are like Islands, the talent becomes sequestered too. The idea that we're brain storming in a serious/silly way here is very cool! ... and for me, I know I have a much better chance of making the money, if I have other people in mind and not only myself and Mom.   My son would have been thrilled with this idea too. He was definitely a nature boy and would have loved helping work the land in whatever was needed.

I'll look at that area around Darryl's place, like you are suggesting Dream. I'll look at the area around your family home too Soul Sister. Let me know where. I'll look at Canada too Toad. Where in Canada? I know PA well, and Geno and Jeff and family are there and in Jersey. I also know NY pretty well. It has to be a piece of property that has the ability for us to be self-sustaining in the event that we need it... so lake, or river, or stream, and ocean nearby is a must.

I think it would be a smart thing to have an emergency plan. I think it would do wonders for our personal anxiety level to know that we could have a place to go if we need to. There are already Tent Cities in the US. We don't see it being reported on the news... but they are springing up everywhere.

I remember when we started Soulful Planet, I had the idea back then that there should be a physical Soulful Planet place as well. I like that name Dream... Soulful Planet Farms. I was looking at a place along the ocean in northern California at the time.

Soul Sister, I like the name of your companies. Very cool... and I'm sure there'd be plenty of room for all sorts of artwork and music. We'll have a studio raising. lol

Geno and MM... we'll raise an antenna for you to do some radio shows; but Geno you have to stay away from it during thunder storms, because you attract lightning.

This thread is starting to feel like Field of Dreams. Maybe that's why Mom and I had a talk with Kevin Costner at the Hotel Del on Mother's Day of this year.

Mixey

S. P. A. T.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic