Soulful Planet  Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Soul of Six > Music General > Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SOUL RARITIES + ...........

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 30 2008 at 6:30am
Hey Alex,
Just want to let you know the date is set> I spoke with Joan yesterday and she's absolutely dying to go! She said she's going to spruce up her record collection too !!!
It will be fun!!!!!!!

Jeanie
"Love Is The Answer" ~ Little Jeanie Scott
kitten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kitten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 04 2008 at 5:50am
Hi Soul Sister: I hope you enjoyed the Kittens and, Vows => Majors & Majoor IV material I sent ya. To add with your lost soul rarities +

kitten
when you have friends who needs enemies.
Soul Sister View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 04 2008 at 8:34am
Hi kitten,
You know I do.... it's a wonderful addition to my collection.  Thank you & Larry again for your kindness!!!  

You see dream already had one of the Vow's tunes on the set my friend Stan (in N.J.) made for her, so he thinks they are "great" too!!!

Have a great day you two!!
S.S.
M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2008 at 1:15am
I was hoping that we would have threads like this one in the collectors section but I got a bit diverted over there.  lol

Mixey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2008 at 10:58am
I was just gifted with this "CD" of rare soul from 'female artists', from my friend Steve Nicholas', thanks Steve!  J*

kitten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kitten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 26 2008 at 3:00am
Hi Soul Sis,

Anna Raye is Chicago from late 60's early 70'S she recorded for the late Berry Despenza and recorded for his various Chi-Town labels.

Another Chi-Town group, I heard of "I'm Not Like The Others" though I never knew Patti and the Lovelites recorded "Betcha By Golly Wow". Where we're my ears at?

My husband says he's quite familiar with your selections you've post. He says he knew the Sisters Love and their tune "Are You Lonely". 

when you have friends who needs enemies.
dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 26 2008 at 4:00am
HEY KITTEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's great to see your face in the place.  We've missed you & Larry.Smile

dream
http://cdbaby.com/cd/eugenepitt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 26 2008 at 5:24am
Hi kitten,
Thanks for the additional input. You & Larry have some valuable history to share, esp. on the Chicago scene.

Thanks for sharing.

S.S.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 30 2008 at 10:50am
I just got the chance to listened to this 'CD', wow, I haven't heard 'Barbara Brown' is sooo long that I forgot "Smitty" did all those duets with her.  God does he sound so good, so sweet, so soulful mmn mmn mmn.............. Smitty, Smitty, Smitty!!!  Be still my heart, lol. Broken%20Heart

kitten & Larry,
 I just heard "Are You Lonely" by The Sisters Love, that is a bad-azz jam! Excellent track!!!

S.S.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 30 2008 at 11:43am
Hey kitten,
Anna Raye is bad like that too! Margie Alexander too!!

That Ann Sexton Record is worth $400.00 if you can find it, lol.

'The Heartstoppers' is rare too, All-Platinum produced by George Kerr, it's a one-sided record, rare to find. I think The Heartstoppers backed up "Linda Jones" when she recorded "When The Hurt Comes Back", bad, bad, bad-azz jam!!!

Some hot stuff here.Evil%20Smile LOL!!!!!!

S.S.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 30 2008 at 11:47am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2008 at 4:45am
I spoke with Steve yesterday, he's going to make me some more rare gems very soon.   Always great to get and listen to some superb soul music that most folks haven't even heard but should.
You'll know what to look for while record hunting thanks to my knowledgeable friends who are fine collectors of every decade.
 Go Steve, Felix, & Stan, you've got the goods!!!

S.S.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2008 at 1:34pm
Looking for vynal today?
Here are a couple good places:

Stan's Square Records ~ Jersey City, N.J.

The Relic Rack ~ Hackensack, N.J.

Clifton Records ~ Clifton, N.J.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2008 at 1:52pm
Philly Area:

Val Shively's Vynal ~ Upper Darby, PA.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

San Francisco Area:

Village Music ~ Mill Valley, CA.
Jimmy & Ruth Brown
Owner: John Goddard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2008 at 1:53pm
Please feel free to add any "Vynal Record Shops" in your area>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

S.S.
dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2008 at 6:41am
Wish I could add to your shots of vintage record stores, S.S., but there aren't any where I live.

Great shot of Stan's in Jersey City.  It was a wonderful treat for me to go to Stan's & Colony Records in NYC where Stephen Nicolas works.  I came aways with some nice treasures.  The best part was having fun that day with you.  The records, the pizza & the flea market made for a great day in the city!!!  The icing on the cake was watching Jimmy perform at the Iridium that evening.Smile

dream
http://cdbaby.com/cd/eugenepitt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2008 at 6:57am
My old friend Steve Nicholas made this CD of rare soul for me when we were in N.Y. earlier this month.......
"The Power Of Austin" which has rare gems by Austin Cromer, Austin Powell (whom he knows I love esp. his track "Wrong Again"), and the fabulous voice of Dodo Greene.

There's not much info on "Austin Cromer" except that he recorded on some albums with 'Dizzy Gillespie' in the mid 1950's, and I believe he recorded or sang with The Ravens at some point.

"Austin Powell" founded the quartet "Harlem Harmony Hounds" later evolve to "Cats and The Fiddle" in 1937 while in High School in Chicago with Ernie Price, and Charles Barksdale (of The Dells fame), later Jimmy Henderson joined the group. There were different personel thru the years ahead but were quite successful. The signed their first recording contract in 1944 with the Regal/Mead Label. Powell also recorded solo.  On the song "Wrong Again" he is backed by The Delta Rhythm Boys. He has a deep voice.

"Dodo Greene" was a R&B/Jazz Artist who first recorded in the early-1960's, her voice is right up there with other tourch type female vocalists.   She was the first artist to be signed exclusively to 'Blue Note Records'.

*There seems to be some photo posting problems today Ouch, so I'll try later.......

S.S.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2008 at 7:10am
The CD track list:

"Austin Cromer" with Diz:

OK, that worked Smile!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2008 at 7:20am
"Austin Powell"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2008 at 7:28am
"Dodo Greene"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic