Soulful Planet  Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Soul of Six > Music General > Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SOUL RARITIES + ...........

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SOUL RARITIES + ...........
    Posted: Mar 28 2008 at 12:22pm
Steve Nicholas

*I didn't want to hijack dream's thread about tapes Stan Krause made, at his record shop "Stan's Square Music", so I started this thread on dream's great idea.

The following "Soul Rareties & early cuts" were made for me, and some later for me & Jimmy, by my friend Steve Nicholas who use to manage "Downstairs Records" in Manhattan, also a friend of D.J. Felix Hernandez of Classic Soul & Rhythm Revue heard on WBGO & Kiss FM (N.J.-N.Y.)  Steve now works at Colony Records.

Some of these cuts are from 78's, some from 45's ALL are rare and outstanding gems, you can't find this stuff today!!!

First here are a few of my personal photos.......
"Me with Felix Hernandez & Steve Nicholas":

S.S.

"Love Is The Answer" ~ Little Jeanie Scott
Soul Sister View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2008 at 12:26pm
My friend "George".......when I lived in the "Jive Five" crib on 49th Street in 1966 and had time to kill, I would walk down the street to chat with George about music, he worked at "Colony Records" 1619 Broadway at 49th Street in Manhattan.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2008 at 12:37pm
My old & dear friend "Stan", owner of 'Stan's Square Records' in Jersey City, and the record label Catamount, Stan also managed and produced groups such as The Persuasions, The Royal Counts, Fourteen Karat Soul, etc...

Stan & his lovely wife Ewa:

The Records:

Me :

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2008 at 12:40pm
Here are the rare gems made for me by Stephen Nicholas:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2008 at 12:43pm

By the way, the "One & Only" is 'Little Jimmy Scott' , lol!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2008 at 12:47pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2008 at 12:50pm
78's:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2008 at 1:17pm
Here's some cassette tapes of songs I love, that I made years ago, for myself. I just scanned one side, so maybe I'll do the other sides later:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2008 at 1:25pm
Tapes made for me... from "Steve Nicholas":

From Stan Krause:

From "Bob Ippolito", "Ippy" is a friend & huge fan of Jimmy's, an old friend of Stan's, who calls me "Little Jeanie Scott", lol. "Ippy" went to school with "Soul Generation" and is still a good friend of Cliff Perkins:

S.S.
dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2008 at 1:42pm
These are all fabulous, S.S.!!!!!!!!!!!  Boy!!!  Would I love to have them!!  You must have one of the best collections anywhere of great doo wop and soul music!!

Love that photo of you all bundled up in the parka.  CUTE!!Smile

Stephen made me a CD, too, after you and I visited Colony Records.  He burned two Jive Five songs I didn't have, but LOVE - "Sugar Don't Take Away My Candy" & "Don't Believe Him Donna".  He added Chuck Jackson's version of DBHD.  I love listening to them.

You've started another great thread here.Clap

dream
http://cdbaby.com/cd/eugenepitt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2008 at 1:58pm
Hi dream,
Yup, I do have a nice collection, but Stan & Steve got the goods! LOL, those cats got a pure gold mine of the best, amazing, & rare stuff, one could ever find. Felix got a major collection too.

I got that "Anorak" in Alaska, custom made by a Native for dog mushing & outdoor fun. I have a heavier "Parky" traditional one made also by the same lady for some serious 25-40 below weather.
A couple Native musher & trapper hats, & mukluks.  I'm ready for outdoor fun in any weather hot or cold, lol!!!

S.S.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2008 at 3:25pm
Here are the B- sides of the cassette tapes.......

Mine:
1st. one titled: 'Lost Love & Lost Soul Artists'
2nd. one titled: 'Sentimental Reasons'
3rd one titled: 'Ladies of Deep Soul'

S.S.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2008 at 3:28pm

B-side from "Steve":

Simply titled: 'For My Pal Jeanie - Love, Stephen' lol.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2008 at 3:31pm
B-side from "Stan":

1st. one titled: 'Jeanie-Love and the Blues'
2nd. one titled: 'Jeanie's Soul Mix-From Stan'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2008 at 3:34pm
B-side from "Ippy":

Titled: 'Doo Wopp 2000-Deep In Your Grill', lol!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2008 at 3:35pm
The 'titles' are just what each person named the cassette they made.

S.S.
M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2008 at 1:13am
StarOMG!!!

I don't think I've told you lately how blown away I am by what you've got here.  Jeez all of these scans... How cool Soul Sister!!

Many thanks!!
Mixey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2008 at 3:54am
HI MIXEY!
 Glad you approve.  I think there is some good info on amazing hard to find recordings for those coniessuers (sp.). Anyway, some really good listening that soul music collectors can appreciate, especially if you love romantic ballads.

S.S.

MickeyMac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickeyMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2008 at 7:31am
Is there any way I can get a copy of those CD/cassettes from you Soul Sister? They look way cool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2008 at 9:05am
Hi M.M.,
  Wish I could help you but I have no way to make copies at this time, maybe at a later date on the CD's.
I don't even think we still own anything to do the cassettes on anymore, lol, they are outdated.
We have Turntables, PC, CD, & DVD players but nothing for cassettes anymore.

S.S.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic