Soulful Planet  Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Soul of Six > Music General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SAMMY "Baby" AMBROSE and JACKIE WILSON

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SAMMY "Baby" AMBROSE and JACKIE WILSON
    Posted: Jul 18 2009 at 3:18pm
"Sam Otis Ambrose" was born on April 5, 1940 in Miami, Florida. "Sammy Ambrose" was one of Florida's Soul Artists who made his way to N.Y.C. in the 60's where he made a name for himself and cut some records on a few labels. This was a cat who could sing anything, outdance ayone, and played almost ever instrument in the band. Versatile and hardworking on stage. He worked at all the popular clubs in N.Y. and around the metroploitan area, as well as the Jewish Resorts in the Caskill Mountains and Lakewood down the Jersey Shore, New England, & Florida.

Although I've talked about Sammy a little in the past I've decided to put this thread up especially for my long lost sister-friend "M.B."  

M.B. dated 'Jackie Wilson' for 9 years starting at the age of 14 in the mid 1950's till 1965 when she and Sammy fell in love.  M.B. and I recently met up again through Youtube when she posted something on one of Sammy's videos that I knew she & I were the only two living people who would know about what she said! She was delighted I found her, we both wondered what happened to each other all these years later because we shared so many of the same life memories.  I am thrilled we made that connection again and this thread is for her!!!

Sammy was my spiritual brother and M.B. was my spiritual sister. The 3 of us hung out everywhere together, if you saw one of us you usually saw the other two especially from 1965 thru 1969, though the latter years grew less and less as our lives gradually went in different directions.  In 1970 I was living with George "Smitty" Smith the lead singer of 'The Manhattans', M.B. was doing modeling jobs (a stunningly beautiful girl), and things sort of sadly went bust for Sammy by 1970 so he headed back to his native Miami where his mother lived. Sammy eventually got 'gigs' around Miami Beach, recorded some more for Florida Labels but things were never quite the same, he had a little trouble, got involved with drugs and unfortuneately ended up in jail. When he came out still performed for a few years then sadly died broke and broken in February 26, 1988 at the age of 47, never knowing across the big pond in the U.K. he was a "soul hero". He's adored by Northern Soul fans and has been a favorite at Northern Soul Clubs like the 100 Club, where his lost soul records were played all the time.

M.B., Sammy, & I shared some amazing times together all over at different clubs, locations, from Tommy Hunt's Manhattan apartment to Jackie Wilson's shows, etc...

I remember so many artists of the day coming to the 'Wagon Wheel' on 45th. Street to catch Sammy's shows. Some I can remember seeing were Joey Dee who was performing down the street at the Peppermint Lounge with his Starlighters (Joe Pesci once performed with them, what a small world!) I remember B.J.Thomas, Johnny Maestro, Billy Vera, members of The Jive Five, Dave "Baby" Cortez, Hank Ballard, Sammy Davis, Jr., Sarah Vaughn, Boxer Emille Griffin, and of course Tommy Hunt who was tight with Sammy. There were others I can't remember maybe M.B. can (?).

When I just turned 18 I was old enough to go into a club in N.Y. but not in my home state of N.J. I hung out regularly at a club in Congers, N.Y. (right across the upstate line) called the "Go-Go-Lounge", where all the top acts of the day appeared on weekends, everyone from the Flamingoes to the Temptations, I saw everyone there! Eventually, I knew the owners, the bouncers (I dated the head bouncer Dino for a while who was a Golden Glove Prize Fighter, all the bouncers were) the owners (whom owned other clubs in Yonkers and the Bronx) all hailed from the Bronx (they were  rumored to be connected, lol, all N.Y. club owners were) , the bartenders, the regulars, and of course the band who's name had changed many times.  First they were the Jewels, then the Mascots, then the Smith Brothers. Some ended up being Sammy's back-up band, one went with "Johnny Maestro's Brooklyn Bridge", that was my bud Ronnie Blanke who played electric bass.  Sammy performed at the "Go Go Lounge" one New Years Eve and that's how I met him, we hit it off right away, he was "gigging" steadily at the 'Wagon Wheel' in Manhattan too and living next door to the club in the Peerless Hotel (which was located between the Wagon Wheel & the Peppermint Lounge). At the time. Sammy was suave, clean, sharp, manicured, and a very cool dresser with handsome boyish features, he oozed with charm.
Neither M.B. or I can recall exactly when we met or what joint but we became fast friends. Sammy recorded and his manager at the time made alot of promises he didn't keep. One such one was he was going to put a billboard up in Time Square with Sammy's picture & Sammy Davis, Jr.'s picture saying the hardest working man in show business should meet the second hardest working man in show biz. Well they evenyually met but not through Sammy's manager or any big promotion deal that might help Sammy's career. Sammy was sooo very talented that he could have been a major star like Sam Cooke, Jackie Wilson, or James Brown, sadly his path in life didn't go that way. What charisma and stage presence he had. He was truly unforgettable. The last time I spoke with him he had just returned from Boston to N.Y.C. M.B. stopped by my crib in Manhattan with a friend and tried to get me to go to the club to meet with Sammy that night I said no because I was expecting my man later that night.  When she arrived at the club she & Sammy called me, Sammy urged me to come to the club and get together but I declined. I regret it today because that was the last time I spoke with him after that he had to go home to Miami, that was the beginning of his end.  M.B. & I are both heartbroken we didn't get to hook up with Sammy again before he passed, things may have changed for him and he may have been with us today giving us joy up on that stage again. Sigh.........................................
I had so many photos of Sammy, some I got mad and tore up, lol, in a fit of anger, others were stolen with other photo albums I left at Smitty's mother's house for safe-keeping (HA!) in 1974, all I had left were A few poor negatives that survived a fire. I wished I kept my hands on all my albums back then GRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!
Let this be a lesson don't give away your past, you'll wish you kept those photos & memorbilia!!

"M.B." this is for you girlfriend!

S.S.

"Love Is The Answer" ~ Little Jeanie Scott
Soul Sister View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2009 at 3:26pm
"SAMMY AMBROSE":

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2009 at 3:29pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2009 at 3:35pm
The "Wagon Wheel" night club on 45th. Street, N.Y.C.:

Below:
One of the new band members (can't remember his name?), my friend "Jackie" from Bed~Stuy, Brooklyn (who took her name from Jackie Wilson because she was such a fan of his, lol!), & me. 

Sadly, I have none of the photos M.B. & I took together, I think she may have some...but I can tell you she was very pretty, petite, very shapely, blonde with the sparkliest blue eyes you ever saw, and worked as a model for Macy's and others in N.Y.C. 
One look and you knew why Jackie Wilson was so ga-ga over M.B.Smile Wish I still had a pic. of her.

Joey Dee & The Starlighter who appeared at the "Peppermint Lounge" on 45th. Street, N.Y.C.:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2009 at 3:41pm

Puppy "Famous Flame" named after James Brown's back-up group!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2009 at 3:48pm
In Miami Beach 'Sammy' had a group called the "Afro-Beats" and they worked at Place Pigalle:

After things went bad, news photo:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2009 at 3:58pm
Scans of some of Sammy's records..................

Sammy recorded "This Diamond Ring" for the Musicor Label in 1964, Stan Kahan was the producer. 
Sammy had the record out on the radio "This Diamond Ring", shortly later Jerry Lewis' son Gary & his goup covered the record. Snuff Garrett hipped Lou, a friend of Jerry Lewis' to the song his son Gary recorded with his new group The Playboys.  Sammy's record was unfairly taken off the radio and replaced by the cover band due to Jerry's money & connections and maybe a bit of racism (?) we all know how many black artists were covered by some boring white artist who got the fame, money, & recognition, it's happened over and over again back then. It happened to Jimmy, Ruth Brown, Little Richard and many others! Sammy's original version is so much better, more sincere or soulful, he sings it with the feeling it deserved.

One company recently put out a whole album of original records that were covered by other people who got the credit, here it is:

The Original:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2009 at 4:05pm
"Welcome To Dreamsville" is a big favorite amongst Northern Soul fans:

The Original:

It was especially huge at this London Club:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2009 at 4:09pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2009 at 4:12pm
"Sammy" is featured on this great 'CD' along with many other great N.Y. Artists of the 60's:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2009 at 4:20pm
"Sammy" was the featured singer of "The Mascots" , here at "The Go-Go-Lounge":

My friend Bassist Ronnie Blanke:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2009 at 4:23pm

Some personal changes in the group, along with a group name change to "The Smith Brothers".  This photo I took at "Maxim's in the Bronx":

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2009 at 4:27pm
This is what 42nd. Street looked like back in the day:

They say the neon lights are bright on Broadway, there's always magic in the air, it sure seemed so back then:

"Sammy" could really Boogaloo!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2009 at 4:37pm
We shared many good times at The World Famous:

Seeing this guy, what a story there for the 4 of us to tell, (including Jackie), lol, for another day!:

My old friend "Billy Mitchell" Apollo Historian who worked the backstage door 'back in the day' as a gofer for all the acts when he was a kid!:
"Mr. Apollo" Billy rubbing the famous 'Tree of Hope'.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2009 at 4:46pm
When Sammy got uptight for money he would sing this:

Besides his own act, Sammy was one of the best impersanators of Sam Cooke, Jackie Wilson, & James Brown, for there was nothing he couldn't do onstage!  You had to be there to see it!!!

AHHHHHH.....M.B., if people could have the memories we share!!! Wink

HeartM.B. this thread is dedicated to you with love and to the memory of our beloved Sammy Ambrose.Heart

Love You Much,
Jeanie, Sammy's Soul Sister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2009 at 5:20pm
M.B.,
 Here's a few pics of me from back then. Do any look familiar, lol?!

With "Deon Jackson":

Age 18, photo I tore Sammy off of,lol! Dion's sister Donna (the primadonna) Di Mucci was my hairdresser & did my grecian curls:

At James Brown's House:

In front of the apartment building "Sammy" live in:

My Manhattan apartment the last night I saw you or spoke to "Sammy" when you came by for a visit:

tee----heee----------------------------------------------------
"Back down memory lane"...................................

Sis
dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 19 2009 at 8:39am
WOW!!

This is great, S.S..  I've heard some of the stories before, but always love hearing them again.  I sooooooooooooooooo wish I had been in NYC back in the day.  Great thread and pix.Clap

To MB - if you're a friend of Jeanie's, you're a friend of mine.Smile  I'm so glad you two found each other again after all these years.  I hope we can all meet someday.  What wonderful times and memories you share.

dream
http://cdbaby.com/cd/eugenepitt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 19 2009 at 10:22am
Yes dream,
 LOL! Not all those stories are for public consumption. LOL

I was finally able to upload Billy Mitchell's pics. We shared adventures hanging out at the Harlem night spots as well as the backstage memories of the Apollo.  First time I ever heard live jazz at Minton's Playhouse, the Palm Cafe, & Small's Paradise. There was also the Baby Grand, Shalimar, Lennox Lounge, & of course Well's Chicken & Waffles for breakfast. All part of the night life fun of that era.

S.S.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 19 2009 at 10:42am
 Star In Memoriam of Jackie "Mr. Excitement" Wilson !!! Star

M.B.,
 These snapshots of 'your first love' are posted especially for you!  I took these snapshots of "Sonny" in the mid-60's, doesn't he look fine, lol!

Your,
S.S.

On stage:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 19 2009 at 10:45am

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic