URL: http://www.soulfulplanet.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1257
Printed Date: Dec 10 2018 at 3:23am

Topic: Whatz for Dinner?
Posted By: toad
Subject: Whatz for Dinner?
Date Posted: Aug 10 2008 at 7:38pm
     What are you making for dinner tonight?
  I cooked up a Beef pot roast last night, with tons
of gravy, and some mashed potatos. Also had a small salad.   Last night, and again tonight....and maybe
tomarrow too. 
It was real cheerful, and I wish I could invite you all over to dinner !

Your turn.........

toad

-------------
Down, and nearly out in Detroit......

Replies:
Posted By: M I X E Y
Date Posted: Aug 11 2008 at 2:46am
I get into a pot roast mood a lot Toad.  That sounds yummy!

Tonight, I had baked salmon with ginger rice and a salad that had dried cranberries, feta cheese and walnuts, with Italian dressing.

I'm getting hungry all over again thinking about it.

Tomorrow I'm going out of town... so I get to eat dinner out... something I do infrequently.  I'll come back over and fess up to the menu, as I'll have internet in my hotel... probably a lot more stable than at home. 

George is still eating franks and beans on his campfire, no doubt. 

Mixey

Date Posted: Aug 13 2008 at 9:21pm
So much for dinner...

3 fried chicken "fingers"... a handful of french fries... some celery sticks and a bottle of water.

Will do better tomorrow night. Disapprove

Mixey

Posted By: Gene_Leone_Mix
Date Posted: Aug 13 2008 at 11:29pm
Toad & Mixey,
Lately, I have been cooking steaks and chicken over the open wood fire grill thingy on the 'D'Street deck,
because it's just so easy to do now,
it smells fantastic cooking, and the weather has been so nice,
so it's an excuse to enjoy it.

Tonight... I did not light a fire to cook anything, since there was a big eight alarm fire in Conshohocken, a mile away, on the other side of the mountain that made network news...
http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=6325577 - (6ABCNews story here)
...so I just did some cold tuna with black olives and elbow macaroni with italian dressing, and ate inside to get away from the drone of the news choppers.
I just sent these pics to Mixey in her hotel room.

Frightening!

Damn, and to think that a little while ago here in the http://soulfulplanet.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1000&PN=1 - Cusine: "Apartment cooking for singles" Thread , I joked and did this PhotoShop jpg here about
"cooking out on the deck" and craving a good wood fire cooked burger too... (of course with the coast to coast phone patch cusine cooking assist from Mixey) and
*lol* "ooops! Is something burning? " such as...

Obviously, this jpg was a tongue in cheek photoshop joke...
but damn, what happened to the people of the Millenium Complex in the real world of reality last night was not...
http://www.philly.com/dailynews/local/20080814_Dramatic_Conshohocken_fire_routs_hundreds.html - Dramatic Conshohocken fire routs hundreds
Philadelphia Daily News, PA - 6 hours ago

Yikes!
Geno

p.s. here hoping for better luck with tomorrow nights dinner!

-------------
http://geneleonemix.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - Gene_Leone_Mix

Date Posted: Aug 14 2008 at 6:50pm
        I made some "Doctored" baked beans, fried 2 small pork chops,
 and a few french fries...big glass of milk.  Oh, It was goood !

toad

-------------

Posted By: MickeyMac
Date Posted: Aug 14 2008 at 8:19pm
Tonight I went out for dinner. Had some nachos mmmmmmmmm

Mostly its frozen dinners, but I couldnt take another night of that.

Date Posted: Aug 14 2008 at 8:35pm

Dinner tonight?

Ok... a slow night around here.
(see above post from last night!)

No eight alarm fires, no news choppers hovering overhead, no disasters of biblical proportions as far as the eye can see tonight. Go figure!

It started to drizzle out on the deck. So... I wrestled some frozen breaded chicken breasts out of the freezer, tossed on some perky lemon juice on one side... then some Stubbs Hot and Spicy BBQ Sauce on the other side and nuked them in the micro for a quick dish with no major fire hazards possible, and then I steamed up some broccoli, carrots, and cauliflower with REAL BUTTER on the stove for a veggie dish... complete with an icy cold Corona... and ate it all while reading posts here on SoulfulPlanet.

Simple, but sometimes... simple makes life good.

Ok. who's next?

~BigSmiles~
Geno

(((p.s. Toad & MickeyMac, our dear Mixey is still out on the road, and I hope She somehow gets a good dinner tonight. As usual, She's been going non-stop and kickin' ass, too.)))

-------------

Date Posted: Aug 14 2008 at 9:52pm
Those pictures crack me up Geno.  I love the look on your face!! lol

I didn't eat all day... and then...Tonight...

Popeye's fried chicken and mashed potatos.  That's about as "simple", as you say Geno,  as I could make it. Confused

I was too tired to go out to dinner, which kills me, because there are so many good places to eat around here.

Maybe a better diet tomorrow.

Super nachos near my home in Cardiff... you would like MM!!

Toad... that glass of milk sounded good.  I haven't had one in awhile. 

Geno... the D Street BBQ sounds stellar... flying squirrels and all.

Mixey

Date Posted: Aug 14 2008 at 10:51pm
Drink milk for vitality, well at least thats what they used to say in those old commericals

See:

Date Posted: Aug 16 2008 at 2:59am
2AM in the morning and I'm eating "dinner"...
california rolls and  raw veggie combo.

OMG... MM I went looking for some more milk videos, which prompted me to start the thread...  Foods that could be unsafe... OMG!

Mixey

Date Posted: Aug 16 2008 at 6:40pm

Saturday 8:35pm

I trying to figure out what to eat right now... nothing is appealing to me at this moment, stomach is in a bit of a knot from not eating all day, so i know i have to come up with something... might just do the chicken thing again, but I just don't feel like making it...
Ok, so I'll stop typing here, and just go freakin' do it.

-------------

Date Posted: Aug 16 2008 at 7:05pm
    Saturday 7:30pm
 Just got back from the biggest cruise-car show in the world.
    Had a hot dog and chips for lunch + tomato juice.
  Couldn't concive of cooking, so I had a pizza hut personal pan pizza
[a little guy], and a Budwiser.  I always get real dehydrated out in the sun, so I will probably drink about ten glasses of water tonight.

toad-out

-------------

Date Posted: Aug 17 2008 at 3:22am
I had a really good dinner out tonight. . . Ginger beef at a very good place in Chinatown (LA) called WON KOK.  I've been going to that place since the 80's. . . looks like a dive. . . always excellent food.

The fortune cookies said:

""You have a strong desire for personal freedom"
"You express yourself with charm and humor"

I'm not so sure about the charm part. . . but the rest is all good with me. . .lol

Geno. . . you need to remember to EAT my firend!!

Toad. . . Pizza Hut is so friggin' confusing, ever since they started with the stuffed crusts and all.  I like their plain pizza.  And a beer sounds really good. . . but I just drank a whole bottle of champagne, so I have a feeling it'll have to wait for pizza night.  lol

Maybe I'll do pizza tomorrow.  I'm getting hungry again!

Mixey

Date Posted: Aug 18 2008 at 7:20am

M i x e y !!!

***LOL***
"...but I just drank a whole bottle of champagne..." ***LOL**
I love it in You that occasionally. You'll pick a very safe situation to once in a while, let Your hair down a bit and go for that Champagne buzz...
and OMG do You get funny in those times while the emotions flood out in every direction...
Punctuation, spelling goes right out the window, or over the balcony as it may be, and here come the funny triple entendrés...

"Geno. . . you need to remember to EAT my firend!!"

*lol* So what's for dinner? Love it, You cannibal, You! *lol*

Laughing here... LoveYa!!!
Geno

-------------

Date Posted: Aug 18 2008 at 9:26am
     Mixey convinced me to get some Chinese takeout.
    Last night it was Steak Kow,Chicken fried rice,Egg roll, and a dinner roll.
 I still have plenty left-over for tonight.
      All of that soy sauce had me drinking water like a fool. I love good
Chinese, and there are plenty of good Chinese places near me.
   My favorite place changed hands, and the quality went out the door with the old owner. He made the absolute BEST egg rolls of all times.
  Hand made little numbers that were too good to describe. He also
hand made his hot mustard and plum sauce that he served with them.
    The hot mustard would cross your eyes, and clean out your nasal
passages, and the plum sauce was magic.
     It makes me think that good cooks should never die, and never retire.
  If I ever make it to heaven, I must discuss this with my maker.
     It ain't fair !!!!!!

-------------

Date Posted: Aug 18 2008 at 9:41am

Ok... I Have to Say... Last Night's Dinner Was To Die For!

First of all, I must say this...

Thank You, to both Toad & M i x e y
for inspiring me to try cooking things.
I used to say "i suck at cooking"... but, not anymore... I'm trying, and having fun learning what fun stuff I can come up with! Cool!

What I have done is very simple... I try stick to a few that things that I know work well for me, to cook stuff that I can usually easily obtain predictable outcome results. and keep making them even better... and still be able to enjoy who is here with me at the time!

It working for me, and I'm learning and enjoying this. Cooking "cave man style over a real wood fire" *lol* on the 'D'Street deck and all that this environment's ambiance adds naturally to the cooking experience... so works well for me.

Ok, so yesterday afternoon/last night, my Daughter, Jessie (who I simply love to death who is 21 now and all grown up) came over to hang out with me.

The weather: Stunningly perfect August weather... warm, clear skies, etc.

I told her that'd I'd cook her a good steak dinner. She was totally into it and said "show me what you do". So here it is:

I first walked around here in the woods and collected some dried, fallen tree branches and wood (walnut, pine, oak, kindling, whatever) and broke them up to size. I took about 6 charcoal brickettes, and stacked some wood on top in the "modified upgraded grill" and lit the fire. I also sprinkled garlic powder over the wood. Just stop right here for a second and imagine just how good this smells in the fresh woodsy open air. Your mouth starts salivating before any food even comes out! *lol*

I opened two icey, chilled Coronas for us and told Jess to hit the hammock with some shrimp and hot cocktail sauce while I got stuff underway.

She was stunned at how friendly the local animals/birds/wildlife are around here... hawks soaring in the blue skies above, and our resident dove's came right over and landed on the railing two feet away from her. I told her that they were born right in the pine tree across the deck this spring, and we've watched them since being "eggs". *lol*
No music needed the serene sounds of the woods filled the air. Really cool.

Ok back to what I cooked and, right or wrong, how I did it.

i took out two "organically raised", beautiful looking, fresh beef eye round steaks. I took a sharp knife and poked some holes on the top side of both steaks, then (marinaded them?) adding
some white merlot, then sprinkled on fresh ground pepper, then covering them with garlic powder, and finally added a light coating of Stubbs hot and spicy BBQ sauce... and let them sit until we were ready to get them over the fire.

We also got the fresh broccoli, carrots and cauliflower prepared for steaming, and did the mashed potatoes in the microwave thing again... adding garlic, fresh ground pepper and butter.

Everything was cooking nicely, and was ready at the same time.

I always have to forget something... and I forgot to do this, which i tried the other night, and loved... I took a few slices of whole grain oat nut bread, and heated them up on the grill right over the open fire flame... turning them often... then add butter when toasted with another sprinkle of garlic powder... and OMG... sooo simple, so good.

I like simple. I like good! *lol*

When everything was cooked and ready, I threw a few good sized logs on the fire , got a good blaze going, and we sat down to eat as the sun was setting to the west... beautiful pink and oranges glowing in the sunset sky... as the sound of the daylight animals and birds gently yielded to the night crew cricket and singing Cicadas chorus with the occasional Hoot Owl Solo taking over...
...with no holds barred conversation between us about everything in life, love and the pursuit of happiness. (((Too funny!))) Fantastic fun!

For desert, I was going to make what is becoming a simple favorite around here lately, that I tried before... but we were both too full. *lol*
It would have been...

Haagen Dazs Vanilla Ice Cream with lots of shaved chocolate and Disaronno Amaretto poured over top in a chilled/frozen clear glass coffee mug. Yum!

So then it was time for us to both hit the Hammock ... and watch the stars come out, the bats flying over head in the moonlight and then enjoy the main even... just after the sun sets... like clockwork, eveynight...

The "D"Street flying squirrels!
Marty caught some of our Flying Squirrels here on video a few weeks back...

(Jess couldn't believe how cool this is to watch happen!)

We had a ball. What a cool way to enjoy a beautiful August summer evening!
And I want everybody over here tomorrow night for dinner!
(Oh how I wish we all could!)

~BigSmiles&LoveToAll~
Geno

-------------

Posted By: dream207
Date Posted: Aug 18 2008 at 10:01am
OMG!!!!!

Y'all are makiong me soooooooooooooo hungry!!!  Geno, your descriptions are a trip!!

I've said before I don't cook.  It's really true for the most part.  I'm in diet mode now, taking off the lbs I put on during the winter.  I'm good at taking it off, but when I get that nesting instinct in the winter, I start making pot roast with all the veggies and gravy and lots of other fattening things.

I'm going to try very hard not to gain again this year,  Once I reach my goal weight, I'm going to try to maintain with Lean Cuisines, my own lpw fat soups, etc..

Dinner for me most nights is some salmon over greens of some sort with those salad spritzer dressings.

dream

-------------
http://cdbaby.com/cd/eugenepitt

Date Posted: Aug 18 2008 at 10:48am
        Geno,
     I don't know what the situation is in your neck of the woods,
but if you want to get the most flavor out of cooking with wood,
 try finding some cherry wood, or apple wood that is a little green.
  A thick porkchop, cooked over apple wood will be the best that
ever crossed your lips. No exotic spices...just salt and cracked pepper.
   The cherry wood is the best for steaks, but apple works for them too.
  If the wood is damp, it will smoke more, and add more smokey
flavor. It is worth the effort to find a source for this wood if you can.
    Some places sell cherry and apple wood "Chips" in a bag like
Charcoal. They will work good too. After you get a good fire going,
add the wet chips for the smoke effect, and drop the lid on the
cooker for a little while after the meat is nearly finished cooking.
      Your cook-outs with you daughter will be in her memory
bank forever. She has a great Daddy.

toad

-------------

Date Posted: Aug 18 2008 at 12:51pm
I think dinner is going to end up being cereal again.

Date Posted: Aug 20 2008 at 8:59pm

Ok ...

Updates...

Toad... not to many apple trees close around here, (Toad, here's an overhead shot of some of the woods here at 'D'Street from 30,000 miles out in space from Google Earth... note my car..
I guess am here today *lol*)

...but..
I'm looking around here, want to try apple wood too.
Walnut tree wood burns great though... and we've got lots fallen branch wood from them, oak, fir, maple, tulip and poplar too! We broke out the reciprocal saw to cut the hardwood into perfect size for cooking and fire burning.
Maniacs!

Monday Night:
I did a "cook up left over Pizza with everything on it" on the wood fire grill for Jill & Marty!!!!! Fantastic!!! Gonna try pizza from scratch next time...

Tuesday Night:
After my sessions... Steaks to perfection on the wood fire grill ...

Wednesday Night:
After my sessions today.... Good old cheese burgers, (Natures Promise Beef Patties, no hormones, no antibiotics, vegetarian diet fed organic raised, whatever!) ... with a fresh greens salad, 'D'Street deck grown cherry tomatoes... with a bottle of Corona... followed with shot glass of Courvoisier Cognac to toast the post sunset massive pink orange glow in the sky!

I stayed out in the crisp night air on the hammock with blankets and the fire going... crystal clear skies, just watching the stars and the flying squirrels, listening to nature, and thinking for a few long hours tonight.
Beautiful out there!
*lol*
I soooo love summer!

(((I'm getting full from actually eating this week, but still can't put weight on!))) *lol*
Maybe I'll move up to two meals a day...
Geno

-------------

Date Posted: Aug 23 2008 at 5:49am
WOW what great descriptions here!!!  Geno... you've really gotten into the cooking spirit, and I agree Toad he's a wonderful Daddy!! Jess must have had a ball!

I love oat bread too!!

Toad... you've got the inside track on food!  jeez! 

Dream... I hear you with the pounds.  I'm starting back up on the ice, so I'm hoping to peel off some weight too.  I really notice how out of shape I am!  yuck!

MM... maybe you can turn that cerial into polenta... lol  I love polenta for breakfast now and then.

Geeennnno... I just say your eating my friend comment.  LooooooL!  Yes... I was a little smashed. Oh well.

A few nights ago, Mom and I went to dinner and OMG!!!!  It was soooo good!

I had a beautiful pepper encrusted steak cooked medium rare... whipped potatoes with virgin olive oil... creamed spinich with shallots... water cress sprigs... and for later... house-made real vanilla ice cream with hot chocolate sauce. OMG it was good!

Mixey

Date Posted: Aug 23 2008 at 12:29pm
MM... maybe you can turn that cerial into polenta... lol  I love polenta for breakfast now and then.

What is polentra???

Date Posted: Sep 07 2008 at 8:50am
- Update: Saturday, Sept 6th, 2008 -

Hurricane Tropical Storm Grilling,,, well, maybe not!

*lol* I posted this Last Night on Toad's MySpace page:

~~~~~~

Toad!!!
Yeah, we are grooving here to the sound of the wet shop-vac going right now, and the good old rain gauge n the "D"Street Deck is at 3 3/4 inches of rain since 2:00pm, and it's still pouring, but Hanna's not too bad as far as Nor'Easters go here right now... gusty winds but no lightning, thank goodness. Looks like it will end soon, so that's cool, because I'm getting hungry!
Fire up the grill IN the tropical storm mode!
***LOL***
Genoooooooooo

~~~~~

- Update: Sept 7th, 2008... 11:00am Eastern: -

Well, the storm didn't let up 'til it was too late, and it stayed too windy to fire up the grill, so now I am really craving it!

I can't believe that I am wearing a sweatshirt!

Now that the Hanna tropical storm has passed... and the sky is crystal clear blue,,, the temperature is now 62.5° on the 'D'Street deck, and that fall nippy breeze hits Ya in the shade big time, that's for sure!

Ok, I've got some "Shady Brook Farms HOT Lean Italian Turkey Sausage" that i want to cook later today over the wood fire.

Getting hungry!!!

~~~~

Ok, backing up to a week or two,
since the last Cusine updates... and before the storm hit,
well, we've cooked out on the deck just about EVERY NIGHT! *lol*, and kept the wood fire going after cooking long into the night with great conversation.
It's so cool, like camping out... but with all the modern conveniences right there.

And various local friends and neighbors have stopped over too, which is always cool, considering we are pretty much in the woods here *lol*.

Anyway, a good friend of mine that I work with alot..
"VoiceOver Goddess Ruthie *lol*"
http://www.ruthweisberg.com/voice.htm">
____(Ruth)___

... called and said she would go hunt down a totally "unique" bottle of red wine with a cool label...

... and so she showed up with this...

*lol* What a great red wine with a cool label and a great title!... Leave it to Ruthie, she found this one and said...
"Well, I went looking, and it had me at Fetish" ***lol***
We laughed a lot and cooked up a great steak dinner.
Only at 'D'Street!
*lol*
Geno

~~~~

-------------

Date Posted: Sep 07 2008 at 9:32am
Geno,

We got soaked over night, too.  Very little wiind with it and some minor flooding in some areas.  It's sunny with a nice cool breeze today.  My favorite time of year is just around the corner.

MM,

Polenta is a dish made from cornmeal, usually in a mush form.  I've had it before, but I don't like it unless it is highly flavored.

dream

-------------

Date Posted: Sep 08 2008 at 2:06am

Dream!

Glad that the Hanna storm blew through with little damage in your area... and here too.

On the cuisine front here *lol*, I did NOT get to cook out again tonight, I had an emergency session for radio spots that air tomorrow morning, so I made a salad instead while editing and mixing.
*lol*
Hopeless!
Geno

-------------

Date Posted: Sep 08 2008 at 6:21am
         I could not think of anything to cook last night. My apartment
 complex/"Happy acres"/land of the animated cadavors/ does not have
any community BarBQ grills anywhere near the building. I guess they don't want old folks setting fires, or setting fire to themselves.
     I really miss cooking outside! It's terrible !!!
   I was in a pinch, so I broke out a can of Portugese sardines[slightly
smoked,packed in olive oil] cut up some slices of smoked swiss cheese,
with some club crackers, and topped it off with a cherry coke.
  My breath may never regain it's natural odor.
      They say fish are good for you, and I think these little suckers
haven't had enough time on the planet to suck up much mercury
or Dioxin. Time will tell.
    I have a little steak thawed out for tonight. I will try that with a side
of rice, and a salad. Damn, I really need a habachi !!!!
 toad

-------------

Date Posted: Sep 08 2008 at 4:00pm
 could not think of anything to cook last night. My apartment
 complex/"Happy acres"/land of the animated cadavors/ does not have
any community BarBQ grills anywhere near the building. I guess they don't want old folks setting fires, or setting fire to themselves.

HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!

ROTFLMAO at your description, Toad.

It's funny until it's not.  I hope you're safe where you're living now.

COOL PIX, Geno.  Your friend is very attractive.Smile

dream

-------------

Posted By: manifoldgrace
Date Posted: Sep 09 2008 at 8:20pm
Tonight?  Turkey in the crock-pot, mashed potatoes, corn, stringbeans.  Put Dale's Sauce (you'd know what that was if you ever lived in Muscle Shoals) in to make the gravy, and found out after that it was loaded with MSG.  Now I have a terrible headache... OWWWWHHHH!

dc

Date Posted: Sep 09 2008 at 10:23pm
         Manifoldgrace,
   I am a sauce "Freek."  I don't expirience problems with MSG, so
 I am interested in "Dale's Sauce" if it enhances turkey or chicken.
    I have found the best sauce for beef dishes... check it out at:
   http://www.originalzipsauce.com - www.originalzipsauce.com   It is like concentrated Prime rib natural
 juices. "Zip Sauce"
    Is Dale's distributed nationally?

toad

-------------

Date Posted: Sep 09 2008 at 10:57pm
Toad,
I checked out the Zip Sauce website and saw it can be used on seafood too (I love seafood).  IF it doesn't have MSG, I'M all for it.
Dale's Sauce has a site too:

http://www.dalesseasoning.com - www.dalesseasoning.com

Happy Saucing, Toad !!

dc

Date Posted: Sep 09 2008 at 11:21pm
     Manifoldgrace,
  I'm looking at the label, and don't see any MSG.
   Two weird ones...disodium inosinate & disodium guanylate ....
  sounds like perservatives to me.

toad

-------------

Date Posted: Sep 09 2008 at 11:32pm

Toad,

THose two ingredients are some kind of protein dirivitives (I think), but not as bad -imo- as MSG, so it probably wouldn't bother me.
Thanks!!
dc

Date Posted: Sep 11 2008 at 5:11pm

*LOL*

As we speak, right now,
I've got a fire going out on the deck,
and get this...

Being the maniacs that we are,
Marty and I decided to get some
music
going out there,
so we grabbed a heavy duty AV cart on wheels
and loaded it up with
A Crown power amp
connected to
two Auratone Studio Reference Monitors
and then added
a Sony Self Powered Sub Woofer,
a CD walkman,
&
powered this baby up
and cranked it up to test it out...
and OMG!!!

Lets just say that
RIGHT NOW...
A Soulful Tale Of Two Cities CD
is Grooving
through the woods,
big time
from
the 'D'Street Deck right now...

Of course, while cooking up some burgers over the wood fire.

It sounds
unbelievable
out there,
and it smells great, too!

This is too much fun!

Ok back out there to cook, now...

~BigSmiles,~
Geno

(((obviously, we brought the audio gain levels back down to something "reasonably normal", but it's nice knowing it can really kick ass if we want it to... super clean, too)))

-------------

Date Posted: Sep 12 2008 at 10:14am
Tonight's dinner:  I'm going out

I got this group of friends that get together for dinner every Friday night(well most Fridays), and I havent been able to dine with them for various reasons, but tonight I will.  

Date Posted: Sep 12 2008 at 10:30am

Dream, Thanks!... Toad & Donna...
you both reminded me that I ran out of Stubbs BBQ sauce ...
gotta go get more...
Jeff, get over here already, will Ya! Your Corona's frozen by now! *lol*
hell... everybody here's invited! ...
and...

MickeyMac!!!!

GO FOR IT!!!

(((and have more fun than you're allowed!)))

Then comeback here and give us a full report *lol*
~Smiles~
Genooooooooo

p.s. I'll be out there again tonight, cooking anything over the wood fire,
and also, sucking up every last bit of what's left of SUMMER
before it starts getting too cold! (boo, hiss!) *lol*

-------------

Date Posted: Sep 12 2008 at 11:11am
DITTO what Geno said, MM.Smile

-------------

Date Posted: Sep 12 2008 at 2:07pm

I will have to be brave.  I am dining with people who believe democrats will solve all the answers to the world's problem.  More than likely politics will come up.  Just hope I dont lose my appetite.

Date Posted: Sep 12 2008 at 4:07pm
Stubbs, Geno?  That's one I haven't heard of.  Is it bbq sauce? 
I'll be in NJ the last week of this month ... if I come for dinner, should I bring my fire extinquisher??  LOL!!!

But seriously ...

... tonight, I'm  making black beans and rice with italian sausage ... never made this one before so I hope it turns out OK.

Catch ya later!

Date Posted: Sep 12 2008 at 6:58pm
Donna

Here's Stubbs!

http://www.maximumawesome.com/section2/stubbs.htm - Stubbs!

and...

http://www.barbecue-online.co.uk/acatalog/Stubb_s_BBQ_Sauce.html - Stubb_s_BBQ

I kinda tripped over it, so I tried it, and I loved it... that simple.
~Smiles~
Geno

-------------

Date Posted: Sep 12 2008 at 10:11pm
     I have been buying Large slabs of pork spareribs, [when on sale]
 and I cut them into pieces that will just fit into a quart sized zip-lock
 freezer bag. I usually get 5 or 6 bags out of a eight dollar slab of ribs.
  I thawed one out tonight, and broiled it in my toaster oven, untill
it was nice and crispy.
    Earlier, I had fried some small pieces of smoked bacon in a large pot,
and added some chopped onion, black pepper, and a large bag of
frozen green beans.Added enough water to nearly cover them, and slow boiled them for about two hours, and
ate them with my petite slab of ribs, and two pieces of thick
garlic toast. I'm still smilingTongue Real good and real easy

toad

-------------

Date Posted: Sep 12 2008 at 11:30pm

OMG TOAD!!!!!

This sounds FANTASTIC!!!

Wow! I ate good tonight, and I ate more than I'm used to (trying to actually put a little weight on here) and this just made me hungry again!

Great ideas!

Geno

-------------

Date Posted: Sep 13 2008 at 10:20am
Last night dinner did happen, and at the same time it didnt.

Let's just say its complicated and leave it at that.

Date Posted: Sep 15 2008 at 4:43am
I guess you DID lose your appetite MM.  Sorry it got complicated.

Geno... I'm glad you're putting the weight on.  Good for you!

ManifoldGrace... hope your sausage risotto came out nice.

Me... Today... breakfast / lunch and dinner all in one... 2 slices of ham on some bread with mayo and mustard.  lol

Mixey

Date Posted: Sep 19 2008 at 9:47am
Trying dinner again with my friends tonight and afterwards hanging out late.

Date Posted: Sep 22 2008 at 11:40am
Hi, all!
I've been out of town, and am still out of town, and not always near a computer.  Hope everyone is eating well.  Since I'm out of town(whew!) tonights dinner will be a surprise to me since I am not the one making it.  Last nights was sliced ham with corn on the cob and twice baked potatoes.
Love ya!
dc

Date Posted: Sep 27 2008 at 6:04pm
         Some of us love to entertain, and have friends
 over for a nice meal. The economy is bad, and
 the cost of things at the grocery store may slow
 down the dinner parties quite a lot.

I have a suggestion for a great meal, that won't
 break the bank, and can include more than just
 a few guests.This is an entre'e at a resturant
that I go to once and a while, and I have made them at home, with GREAT results. I am not sure of the spelling, but it is called:  "Steak Bruschetta"

You will need: 1 thick Rib Steak, for serving 4 people
                            2 for eight people
     A bag of fresh spinach leaves
     A large bag of shredded Mozzarella cheese
      1 or 2 red bell peppers
       4 long baggetts of French or Italian bread
        some cracked pepper, and garlic powder

Make a nice salad of your choice for a side to
 this entre'e.

Cut the bread in half through the middle, then
cut those pieces in half lenght wise. this will give
each person two slabs of bread. Spread the bread
slabs with a light coat of butter, and shake on a little
garlic powder. Now broil the bread slabs untill they get slightly brown.
     remove the bread from broiling and arrange them
 on a micro-proof plate,face up.
        Broil the steaks untill they are Medium Rare,
and let them rest about 7 minutes. Split the
peppers into 2 halves, and broil them untill
the skins are slightly brown. let them cool and
slice them into long, thin strips.
     Take a very sharp knife, with a smooth blade,
and slice the steaks into very thin strips, about
 1 and a half inches long.
                   The assembly

Arrange about six pieces of bread in a circle
on a plate. Sprinkle a little of the cheese on each
slab of bread. Add a few slices of steak to each.
   Add a little more cheese and top with a piece or two of the spinach leaves, and a few of the pepper strips
    A very little more cheese, and you are now done.
  Once these bread slabs are all assembled,
 [you will need at least two for each person]
     Just before serving, put each plate into the
 microwave untill most of the cheese has melted.
  Watch them carefully as to not melt the cheese too much.  Put two of these on each guests plate,
and watch the fun. They are super good, not
hard to make, and won't break the bank.
     You should have enough great beer, and
the party should be a hit.

Try these for kicks, sometime...They are great!

toad

-------------

Date Posted: Oct 09 2008 at 5:04pm
(((Toad, that sounds GREAT!)))

Hi Everybody!

Well, we have been cooking out on the deck damned near every night, trying to squeeze every bit of warmth out of the weather before it gets really cold (same stuff being cooked but with variations and local friends stopping in doing random-drive-bys, etc) and now in the cool crisp fall air that comes in after sunset... wow... it gets chilly quick but blankets and the wood fire really helps and smells soooo good... OMG! We end up staying out there after dark enjoying food, wine and twisted conversation, anyway! *lol*

Well anyway,
I had just hit send on an email that I sent to Mixey, and I walked outside to the deck...
thinking about ...hmmm... what to cook tonight,,, and well...
Ya know, I love it when the local neighbors stop by to the 'D'Street Deck
just to see what is for dinner,
and then they get that "Deer-In-The-Headlights" look on their faces.
*lol*
I just took these shots 2 seconds ago...

~Happy October from The 'D'Street Deck with "Deer In The Headlights"
Smiles~
Geno

-------------

Date Posted: Oct 10 2008 at 12:28pm
Hey, Cuz,
I hope you will not be thinking of telling us in a future post that those deer are what you're having for dinner.  LOL!  They are so cute!

We do eat deer meat from time to time down here.  Sometimes it is a necessity, when available.  If you cook it right, it is delicious.  Some people, though, cannot bear the thought.

Tonight we're having roasted turkey breast marinated in teriyaki sauce and Pineapple, with baked sweet potatoes and fresh green beans, and apple cake for dessert.

Love you, and have a wonderful day!!
dc

Date Posted: Oct 11 2008 at 1:47pm

Hi Donna!!!

*LoL*
No, we do not cook the "local wildlife neighbors" on the grill!
*LoL*
~Love Ya Right Back Too!~
Geno

Sat- October 11th, 2008 - 3:35PM ...
Here at 'D'Street the colors of the leaves are starting to change...

looking to the S/SW...

looking to the N/NE...

Ruthie and I had a voice/over session late afternoon yesterday, so we cooked out again last night when we got the session done,
and kept a hell of a blaze going after dark into the early evening in the crisp fall air.

(i wish I could bottle that aroma of wood fire and garlic in the crisp fall air!... omg ... so good!)

Hambergers with bacon strips were on the simple menu, with fresh Italian rolls, and sides of cooked potatoes and carrots, with fresh cut mango for desert, with a bottle of Beringer Founders' Estate Merlot to wash it down.
(I'm getting hungry again writing this!)

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 11 2008 at 1:41pm

~ Happy November 2008 ~

Hard to imagine that a few short weeks ago...
Looking South South/west while cooking dinner looked like this...

then this...

Well, here s a pic from Nov 6th...
The leaves were doing their fall ritual thing
by being almost at the point of showing that final burst of color
before falling all over the 'D'Street Deck.

Cooking outside after dark now in the Fall has been ... well, challenging...
i.e. not as much fun as during warm weather of Summer.

— 11/13/2008 —
That crisp wind biting at every part of you when it whips up kinda makes standing there freezing while the food cooks not the same vibe, but damn, it still all tastes good!
(~I guess i should put a coat on and see if that helps, or maybe... more beer, wine? *LoL*~)

I did this recently... cleaned up a few Idaho baking potatoes, wrapped them in tin foil... threw them right in with the hot coals and embers... let them cook right in that red glow for about 35:00 minutes while I cooked the steaks and veggies right over top of them.   Guess what... baked potatoes must have been meant to be cooked like this.
OMG they were too damn good to be legal! We ate every bit of them including the skins.

~Smiles~
Geno

p.s. the "random drive by local neighbors" want us to get a fire pit thing going out there now for the winter, too. Anybody got one? Does a fire pit keep Ya warm enough to stay out there in a blizzard, too? *LoL*

Our eagle might like that...

Maybe for Inauguration day?

]

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 11 2008 at 1:51pm
BEAUTIFUL photos, Geno!!Clap

The last of our leaves are off the trees now - I'm a bit further north than you. LOL!  But, we had a spectacular fall here and it's always my favorite time of year.  Every day is a glorious one.

You've made me hungry with your menu.  You and Toad are some kind of cooks!!!  You make me hungry all the time!!LOL

dream 

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 11 2008 at 2:15pm

Dream!!!

*LoL* Thanks, but Toad is the guy who is the REAL cook, he KNOWS what he is doing.
I refer to my "cooking" over a real wood fire experiments as
"Hominid Cave Man Cooking".

Start a blaze, throw food at it in some controlled burn fashion, try anything that might smell good while in a controlled burn, sprinkle lots of garlic over everything, have a glass of wine or a beer, and when the cooking food looks good... smells good... eat it!
*LoL*

If something worked out well and and tasted good.... remember it for next time... probably just like the Hominid Cave People did! (It IS fun!)

Laughing here!
~BigSmiles & Hugs!~
Geno

Here are more pics from right after a recording session here,
when it was warm enough for us to be still eating outside...

(Ruthie - "VoiceTalent", Gene Petrucci - Producer from "TwilightWishFoundation" & Marty)

I was cooking and snapping pics... *LoL*

~Geno~

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 14 2008 at 2:54am
Nice Geno...

You've really gotten into cooking this year.  Very cool!

So many people think they can't cook; only to find that they're really good at it, if they'd give it half a chance.

There's no doubt in my mind that you have the gift!!

Mixey

Date Posted: Nov 15 2008 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by M I X E Y M I X E Y wrote:

Nice Geno...

You've really gotten into cooking this year.  Very cool!... ...

Mixey

M I X E Y,
SoulfulPlanet & This Thread makes it a lot of fun to try stuff!
Why?... Because SoulfulPlanet Rocks!
*LoL*
~MuchLove!~
Geno

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 22 2008 at 7:42pm

It's Saturday... November 22, 2008.
I had the brief urge to brave the coldness and go outside on the 'D'Street Deck
and cook up something.
Anything.
Some good old Hominid Cave Man style cooking over a nice wood fire.

Well maybe not... it's too damn cold!

It snowed 2 days ago, a very early first snow, and temps have been hovering near or below freezing ever since. So here's the recipe:

I took one look at the ice frozen on to the top of the grill,
I took one picture, and came back in after one minute of chill and then
I took one nice long winter's nap instead!
*LoL*
Can you say "hello microwave oven and kitchen stove".
~Brrrrrr&Smiles~
Geno

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 01 2008 at 3:27pm
                            ~  Toad's Chili  ~

In a very large pot, add and brown 3 pounds
 of ground serloin, or ground chuck. [Beef]
  Dice up a large sweet onion, a large green bell pepper, 4 stalks of celery, a large red bell pepper,
 and a quarter cup of chopped garlic.
     Cut up about six or eight ripe tomatos into
 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch squares. Add all of these to the ground beef. place heat on medium. Add a large can of mexican green clili's. Dice up some hot peppers,
 [your favorite kind]and add to taste.
    Add one large can of diced tomatos, and a large can of tomato SAUCE. If you like chili with beans,
 add a small can of red kidney beans.
 Add a small can of sweet corn.
     Stirr in the following spices:
   A large amount of ground cumin powder.
   A large amount of ground chili powder.
   A large amount of ground black pepper.
   Add about 2 cans of beef broth.
   Simmer everything for about 2 hours on low heat.
        This chili is not thick. If you wish to thicken it,
 dissolve 3 teaspoons of cornstarch into a glass
 of cold water. Once dissolved, add to chili slowly
 and it should thicken in time to the degree that
 you may like. Buy some one quart plastic food
 containers, and transfer the chili to these.
     Freeze what you wish, or give some to your
friends. You can add chopped hot peppers to
 obtain the heat and pain level you desire.
      Serve with some nut bread or corn bread,
 and you will be in for a great cold weather meal.
     Guaranteed to warm your soul on cold days.
    I never served this to anybody that didn't like it.
 That works for me.... ENJOY TongueTongueTongue

toad

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 02 2008 at 8:31am
Now that sounds delicious, Toad.  Personally, I don't like chili with beans in it.  I've had some chili with venison before and it's excellent and you wouldn't know it wasn't beef.

Do you top yours with sour cream and cheese??  I would.

I keep saying you are one fabulous cook and you just proved it again!!Smile

dream

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 02 2008 at 5:54pm

That sounds good Toad.

Sometimes I like that loose kind of unthickened chili, so I can spoon it over rice, a baked potato... or polenta... and then top it with sour cream and cheese, as you suggested Dream.

The cumin and chili powder makes it Toad.  I love cumin, especially!.

Sometimes I make a lamb "chili/curry" that has tumeric, ginger, masala, chili and onions and chick peas instead of beans.

I like the idea of curry over rice... so I think of chili the same way.

The only thing is that I usually make whatever it is in 2 steps, and take the cooked meat out... put it in a separate bowl and the liquid in another... place in the refigerator for awhile, and then get rid of the fat "cheese", before putting it all back together again and finishing the cooking.  I don't like the taste of too much beef fat, or especially lamb fat. 

I put the spices, and vegetables or whatever in, after I get rid of the fat, or else all of the flavor and good stuff, ends up in the discarded fat.

Mixey

Date Posted: Dec 03 2008 at 12:00pm
                  ~ Toad's Spaghetti Sauce ~

I use the same ingredients as my Chilli recipe
 omitting the celery, the green chillis,the hot peppers,
 and the large can of tomato sauce.
          Forget the chilli spices.
  The spices I choose for the spaghetti sauce are:
       1/3 cup chopped garlic
        1/4 cup of the following spices:
     Italian seasoning
     Basil flakes
     Oregano
     Leaf Majoram
           I use this sauce with any type of pasta,
 and I think it's great. You could add somemore
 of your favorite spices to give it a personal touch.
     I freeze it in small plastic containers for future
 meals that take very little effort to prepare.
      Mic the sauce, and boil the pasta... Quick and easy. Tongue
        The flavor is good enough to bring tears
 to your eyes.Cry

toad

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 06 2008 at 4:57pm

Damn the torpedoes ... full speed ahead!

It's freezing cold, and snowing here at 'D'Street

and yes, we are cooking out in the snow!

I need a STEAK!

Stay tuned ... Film at 11:00

*LoL*

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 06 2008 at 6:16pm
        If the weather in Detroit is moving your way,
  You won't be cookin' outside for a few days. It is colder than a
 Witch digger's brass monkey in the murder city. Windy, and snowin' too !!
     Good luck tonight, Geno !

toad

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 06 2008 at 7:20pm
I hear Ya Toad, but still ...
Marty and I decided to brave the elements, and go for that
char broiled steak over a real wood fire vibe of...

"Damn the torpedoes ... full speed ahead!

It's freezing cold, and snowing here at 'D'Street

and yes, we are cooking out in the snow!

I need a STEAK!

Stay tuned ... Film at 11:00"

~~~~~~
Ok.. is it 11:00pm yet?

*LoL*

Lovely weather for a cook out!

even though it's cold as hell out there, and snowing, the smell of that wood fire, the steaks, the bread and that garlic mixing in the cold air with the snowflakes is still sooo nice...

and now with frozen hands and toes completed while cooking over a wood fire in winter,
it's now back inside to warm up again and enjoy dinner,
finally...

Steak (round eye steaks marinaded in red wine, and garlic with a dash of Stubbs BBQ sauce), Bread (french country sourdough petite loaf, cut open into slices, sprinkled with garlic, virgin olive oil and pads of butter between each slice, wrapped in tin foil and heated/baked over open flame) mashed garlic Potatoes in butter, & Steamed Fresh Broccoli and Carrots. ... and a Corona!

Hominid Cave Man simple, but ohhh so good!

*LoL*
Geno

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 07 2008 at 12:17am
Geno,

While your at it, could you torpedo one of those steaks over to here?   I'm hungry!!!

(We're having crock-pot ribs Sunday night.  I'm not as brave a cook as you ... it's 26 degrees outside!)

Love that picture!!!

TongueTongueTongue

dc

Date Posted: Dec 07 2008 at 4:39pm

Hi Donna!

Well, I'd love to torpedo a few steaks out to ya, but not tonight...
JEEZ
the wind is literally howling out there and it's really cold...
here's a shot of the 'D'Street Laser Guided Temperature reader,,,
the temp right where the "red laser dot" is pointed
(i.e. inside the now cold grill...)
is a whopping...

13.8° F
...just a little too nippy tonight
to be standing out there
freezing in the howling wind
trying to cook... anything!
(except possibly ice cream on the frozen grill)
*LoL*
~Geno~

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 07 2008 at 4:44pm
Well, I certainly don't blame you!  13.8 is a little too much for any creature - man or beast -  to be out in.  Stay warm, Cuz!

Date Posted: Dec 19 2008 at 3:49am
Geno... Deck cooking in the middle of winter!!!  LOL  You're going to have to come out here and thaw out.

I made steak tonight too... with buttery mushrooms and garlic and lemon pepper... baked potato and lightly cooked greens.

Tomorrow (or tonight I mean)... I'm cooking an uncured ham... no nitrates or nitrites. 

I'm not sure what to fix with it... we'll see.

Mixey

Date Posted: Dec 19 2008 at 1:56pm
Fridays I have a group of friends that go out and have dinner together.  I would be joining them tonight but since I finally have some free time on my hands, I need to really get going on these holiday CD's I am making, so I am thinking of ordering pizza.

Date Posted: Dec 19 2008 at 4:23pm
         Mixey,
      A good side for your ham would be an acorn squash.
  Cut it in half, scoop out the seeds and goo, and add about 4 patties
 of butter in the cavity. They taste better if you nuke them in a mic,
 rather than baking them in a oven. No jive.
      I like to take leftover ham, and mix it in with some creamy scalloped
 potatoes. Pure comfort food.
      I got ten inches of snow over here at Cadavor Commons today.
  We are having a very white Christmas...for sure!

Mickey,
       Your Pizza sounds good. I haven't had a pizza in a couple of months.
  My favorite toppings are: Cheese, bacon, green pepper, and Mushrooms.

toad

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 21 2008 at 6:00am
MM...
I had a really good pizza with my son the other night... garlic chicken, mushrooms and spinich.

So funny Toad I almost had acorn squash.  I love it... tastes nutty.  Instead I had boiled potatoes, lathered in butter, pepper and mediterranean cheese yogurt.

"Cadavor Commons"........ LOLDeadLOL We need a nicer name for your place, Toad.

Mixey

Date Posted: Dec 21 2008 at 6:08am
Here it is... 5AM and I don't know if I want a ham sandwhich or ham and eggs...

Well... if I cook ham and eggs... I have to wash the pan... that leaves me with... da dahhhh ham sandwich... easy choice... with mustard.

Hang on.... do I realllllly want a ham sandwich... or is it something else... oh God...

Nope... not hungry at all.

Mixey

Date Posted: Dec 21 2008 at 12:32pm

To add, my favorite pizza toppings are pepperoni, mushrooms, onions, peppers, and green olives, sometimes I can eat it without pepperoni.  Oh and cheese, loads and loads of cheese.

Date Posted: Dec 21 2008 at 2:19pm

Hi Everybody!

It's the Sunday before Christmas,

I am hungry,

And I am so craving to cook out tonight over a wood fire,

However....!!!!!!!

As I posted in the http://soulfulplanet.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=416&PN=5 - "Snow" thread...

I took the camera outside earlier, and Lo & Behold........

*LoL*

and...

...kinda sums it up of what we've got going on here...

and then, there's this...

Got Garlic Rock Salt?
*LoL*
~Geno~

p.s.     Mixey... Yes, pass me a ham samdwitchie, please...
p.s.s.   MickeyMac... yum, pizza!
p.s.s.s. Toad... acorn squash sounds great!

Might be a Spam and Eggs kinda night, as I light the furniture on fire to help stay warm!
~LoL~

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 21 2008 at 2:46pm
        I am making some Vegetable/beef soup Monday for dinner.
  I went to the grocery store this afternoon and froze my ass off.
    I won't be trying that again, anytime soon.
 Looking forward to the soup !!

toad

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 21 2008 at 4:41pm
All yall wich yo frozen asses need to come out cheer!!!

I just cooked up some SP Ham and eggs... Smile

Mom is the soup person in my house.

Mixey 

Date Posted: Dec 21 2008 at 5:05pm
       I think I bought a ham about3 days before you did,Mixey.
  It was about the size of two cans of spam glued together.
 Boneless.... $4.50  The price worked for me.
    I ate Ham and eggs for two days, and froze the remainder.
  After hearing Geno begging you for a ham sandwich, I de-frosted
 some, and just finished MY ham sandwich. Sorry, Geno....
  I was thinking about you, all the time I was eatin' it.
       Mixey,
 What are you gonna do when 5 or so of us Eskimos show up
 at your back door?

toad

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 21 2008 at 6:10pm
Toad...

Every day we're banging away at the studio, I think about that very thing!  OMG how cool would it be to have everybody from Soulful Planet out here.  That would be awesome!!!

LooooL a 2 spam ham! 
Hamwiches with chinese hot mustard sounds good right now... but...

Right now I'm eating 2 pecan chocolate clusters with caramel... better than sex  and a hot toddy.

What's a hot toddy anyway????

Mixey

Date Posted: Dec 22 2008 at 8:44am
OMG you're all making me HUNGRY and it's only 10:30 in the morning!!LOL  I could eat some of everything mentioned here.

Mixey, those chocolate pecan caramel clusters are one of my favorite candies.  They call them "turtles" around here. Better than sex??  YUP.Smile 

Hot toddy - haven't had one in many years (since I don't drink anymore), but I think they were traditionally made with sugar and lemon, some sort of whiskey or bourbon and heated.

dream

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 24 2008 at 3:28am
Geno... I wanna break off one of those icicles!!!

Dream... TURTLES... Yes!  I forgot that name. 

Apparently Shocked ANTS love Turtles too.  I left an opened box in the food closet... and .......................................... here came the parade!!!!!

Thanks for the hot toddy description.  Toad's and Geno's description belongs in the Batcave I think.

Speaking of Bats...

Toad... I saw the guy Andrew Zimmern you were talking about on the Travel Channel... who travels around checking out bizarre foods.

Mom and I watched him a few hours ago, as he assisted in the murder and ingesting of  bats, worms, yellowfin tuna, wild pigs, a wild chicken, eels and a giant clam.  He even ate a still beating tuna heart and sucked a raw eyeball. 

Mom and I were appalled, but kept watching... sort of like the Godfather marathon on Thanksgiving.

Good God!

Mixey

Date Posted: Dec 24 2008 at 4:37am
        Mixey,
    The guy to look for on the travel channel is: Anthony Bourdaine.
 His show is called/ "No Reservations."
     That Andrew Zimmer dude grosses me out !  I can't watch that
 show without getting ill.
      Bourdaine's show involves him eating food prepared by locals
 and street vendors in the many countries he visits. No 5 star hotel
 fare... just honest "Home" cooking that the locals eat...cooked inside or outside, usually over an open flame of some sort. "Native fare" if you will.
    He usually gets stuck drinking some form of rot-gut whiskey, or
 fermented brew the locals serve up for his meals..most of which he
 claims tastes like turpentine, or cleaning fluid.
    It's a great show, and the guy is funny as hell with his descriptions
  of his adventures.

toad

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 24 2008 at 4:49am
LooooooooooL Toad!!  You mean we watched the Shocked WRONG GUY!!

I told Mom you watch that guy all of the time.  lol  She and I had a whole conversation about how hypocrytical we are, eating meat, but not wanting to acknowledge the Dead aspect of it.

All that torture... and it wasn't even the right show.  LOL

Mixey

Date Posted: Dec 24 2008 at 5:46am
        Great, Mixey......
   Now your Mom must think your friends are all insane. That guy
 Zimmer is always eating some form of animal testicles...Got to be
 some kind of kinky shit goin' on in that dudes head. I can't watch him.
    Everything he eats looks slimey,or real nasty.
     Please explain to Mom that you screwed up, and toad is not crazy.

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 24 2008 at 7:42am
LooooL Toad... I'll tell her.  We watched about 4 shows. 

That's some slimy stuff he was eating... yuck!

Mixey

Date Posted: Dec 24 2008 at 8:01am
Too funny!

It seems that every time I want to sit down and eat in front of the TV flipping through the channels to see what on... there's that show with the gross food, or Survivor Man showing you the correct way to survive on nothing but maggots, of the dude from Dirty Jobs knee deep in feces.

I'm convinced that it's a plot designed to remove all traces of my appetite.
*LoL* What timing sometimes. So I end up watching the news... and often what is going on in this country in politics is equally nauseating.
So I hit a Local RADIO or a Cable MUSIC channel... and sometimes that can be another yucky story, too.
Can you say eating in silence?

(((Luckily, this is not always the case, but when it does happen, it gets on a pretty funny roll of... "Oh No! Not Again!")))

~Geno

p.s. By the way, Toad! i made up a pot of Vegetable/beef soup the other night, using whatever veggies and spices i had around here... beefing up a can of "Vegetable/beef soup"... OMH it was great! Who kbows what I did, but your suggestions got me craving SOUP! It was great! Thanks!

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 24 2008 at 8:13am
Here Geno...

This should help with that faltering appetite. 

Here's Andrew Zimmern...

Let me be the first to say... kill me.

Mixey

Date Posted: Dec 24 2008 at 8:18am
***LoL***
OMG! Nuke the world... we need to start over with these humans!
Mixey...Too Funny!
~Geno

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 24 2008 at 10:30am
     Here is a segment of Anthony's show. After seeing this... tell me
 about how you would like to eat some dumplings........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BTW5nJs_nU">No%20Reservations%20-%20Shanghai%20Part%201%20of%205   You can almost taste the goodness.

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 24 2008 at 10:36am
   Anthony in Uruguay.... Meat anyone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muAFU5KL5is">Anthony%20Bourdain%20in%20Uruguay   I need a ticket to this place.

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 24 2008 at 10:40am
       Roast Duck in China... Watch out for the mustard !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pogvpYE0vCI">Anthony%20Bourdain%20eats%20Roast%20Duck%20in%20China     Paradise for a duck lover like me.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 04 2009 at 9:39pm
          I found a plan for a hot toddy.........

http://www.delish.com/recipefinder/bourbon-hot-toddy-drink-recipes?gt1=47004 - http://www.delish.com/recipefinder/bourbon-hot-toddy-drink-recipes?gt1=47004  

It don't sound very good, but after 3 of them you probably won't care...

toad

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 06 2009 at 2:15am
I was so hungry looking at those videos last night Toad. 

Unfortunately, tonight it's Nyquil for me.

Mixey

Date Posted: Jan 06 2009 at 2:56pm
           I saw a new segment from Bourdain, where he goes to
 Mexico City. The food there looks fantastic. I really like his shows,
 because he goes the extra mile to find the best within the budgets
 of normal residents living in the country. Home style cooking, and street fare.  A very good show about food.Tongue

toad

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 06 2009 at 3:04pm
It's an EXCELLENT show Toad...

Thanks for turning me onto it.  I totally agree... and now I'm getting hungry again... lol

Rock Cornish hens for dinner tonight... with garlic & rosemary... steamed rice & mixed winter vegetables with butter and lemon pepper.

Mixey

Date Posted: Jan 06 2009 at 3:39pm
         I seldom drink Alcohol, but I bought a six pack of Sam Adams
 beer so I could make some beer batter fried shrimp.
   I'm eating left-over duck, dressing, and potatos for dinner tonight,
 but will have the shrimp tomarrow night. I like Tarter sauce on my
 shrimp, and any fish, but the store bought tarter sauce really sucks
 bad.  I make my own... homemade.
                      Toad's Tarter
    Put enough mayo in a bowl to cover how much sauce you want
 to make. To this mayo, add the following: Finely chopped green
 and red bell peppers, sweet onion, SWEET pickle relish, lemon juice,
 a little Wasabe, and some cracked black pepper.
       If you try this, you won't ever buy store bought tarter sauce again.
    It will make a lousy fish taste great, and a good fish taste
 fantastic. I urge you all to try it once...it's a winner.Big%20smile

toad

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 06 2009 at 4:03pm
What a GREAT idea... putting wasabe in a tarter sauce!!!

Yummmmm!

Those duck videos from the other night are still making me hungry... but I love shrimp too.  OMG 

I better get these cornish hens in the oven right away. I'm going nuts!

Mixey

Date Posted: Jan 06 2009 at 4:48pm
         Those Cornish hens sound real cheerful !  I like rice in place of
 potatos with many main dishes. I like soy sauce on rice, but I have had
 a lot of trouble finding a good brand of soy sauce that has a good flavor.
    It is suppossed to have a nutty flavor, but most that I find tastes like
 skunked beer. Japanese specialty stores have some called Shoyu that
 is sometimes very good, depending on the brand.

For a easy side dish, I boil up some Spaghetti...12 minutes at a
 roiling boil... and when it is done, I drain it...add a lot of butter,
 and sprinkle on some oragano, and marijom flakes. Stirr it all together,
 and serve in a bowl. It Takes about 15 minutes... EASY, and goes good
 with just about anything.
       These threads sure can make a person hungry !!! Big%20smile

toad

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 06 2009 at 6:06pm
These threads sure can make a person hungry !!!

You can say that again

Date Posted: Jan 06 2009 at 7:37pm
Toad...

I hear you on finding a good Soy sauce.

This one is one of my favorites... http://www.alohashoyu.com/onlinestore/store.htm - http://www.alohashoyu.com/onlinestore/store.htm

My friend Ed grew up in Kalihi, Hawaii.  This company is owned by 3 Japanese families from there.

It's Shoyu... just like in Japan... but pronounced differently... "soy-you" (Hawaiian) instead of "show-you" (Japanese).

Also...

Yes to the spaghetti noodles.  Sounds really good. 

Usually, though... if I'm going to put butter on noodles, they have to be something other than spaghetti noodles.  It's almost sacreligious to put butter on spaghetti noodles.  Has to be olive oil.  Great on linguini though.  Makes no sense... I'm brainwashed.  lol

Mixey

Date Posted: Jan 06 2009 at 7:53pm
        Leave it to me to do everything that is sacreligious..Shocked
   I have the same problem of finding a good olive oil, as I do finding a good soy sauce.
      For some unknown reason, every expensive bottle of olive oil I buy
 tastes like ground up lawn clippings infused in motor oil.
      Any good brands that you can turn me onto? I need help in this
 department too.  I'm gonna buy some of that soy sauce....
  I'm obsessive/compulsive about good sauces and flavors. Wacko

toad

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 06 2009 at 8:26pm
Hello Out There World!

Well, once again, we're getting "iced in" here!
Oh Joy!
They cancelled the... "Winter Storm Warning" (snow)
and changed it to...   "Ice Storm Warning" (ice).

Great!!!

This called for the 'D'Street Emergency Cuisine Preparedness Measure Alarms to kick in.

I jumped in the car, hit the road for the market as it began to sleet:

and got the following items...

Fresh Baked Italian rolls,

Mama Lucia's Italian Style Dinner-Sized Meatballs,

Di Parma Classico Four Cheese Tomato Pasta Sauce...

I ad-libbed with lots of random spices and garlic, and slow heated the sauce in a pot for a while.

(The deer in the woods were knocking at the door 'cause it smelled so good in here!)

We're talking an almost, a could be, a potentially...
Serious Weather Emergency 'D'Street Style Meatball Sandwich could be needed here, so all was cooked and eaten topped with grated Parmesan & Romano cheese, with with a nice emergency glass of red wine.

*LoL*

((( OMG... these babies were were so good, and so easy to make! )))
I am stuffed and ready to deal if the power really does go out... with maybe... a nice nap.

No matter what the weather is doing outside, I hope everybody enjoyed eating at least something tasty tonight!

~BigSmiles On a Full Tummy In Yet Another Winter Ice Event!~
Geno

p.s. Mixey... we will have more of those ice sickles for Ya to want to break off!

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 08 2009 at 1:46am
Geno your sandwiches sound soooooo goooood!!

... and yes... icicles... I always liked to break them off and have my way with them, but I was informed buy my parents that the water was not clean... so don't do that.

I liked seeing them hanging off of the gutters, and I really wanted them to stay there... but no... we had to get rid of them because... "you don't want one to hit someone in the head do you?"

Who's going to stand that close to the house?  SHEESH  I'm so traumatized.

I think I'll make a LAMB roast... Toad.  Tongue

Print Page | Close Window