Soulful Planet  Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > BC Beach > * Guest Parking *
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Politicians & Policy for Zip, Ban, Delete - SOPA
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Politicians & Policy for Zip, Ban, Delete - SOPA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Politicians & Policy for Zip, Ban, Delete - SOPA
    Posted: Jan 07 2012 at 10:59am
From the Department of Politicians & Policy for Zip, Ban Delete...

"SOPA legislation"... "Special Interest legislation"
...Good Thing? or Bad Thing? for all of us?

Google, Amazon, Twitter and Facebook consider 'nuclear' blackout

By Charlie Osborne | January 4, 2012, 7:43am PST

Google, Amazon, Twitter and Facebook consider 'nuclear' blackout (full ZDNet.com story, click here)

and...

— Everything that's wrong about politics: latest SOPA and PROTECT-IP outrage —
By David Gewirtz | December 12, 2011, 5:00am PST
www.zdnet.com/blog/government (read full story here)
"...So, take a deep breath. You’re going to need it.

Let me cut to the chase. Two of the people responsible for writing these dangerous and un-American bills — the key writer for the House version and the key writer for the Senate version — have just accepted positions for two of the lobbying organizations pushing for the bill.

According to Politico, Allison Halataei, former deputy chief of staff and parliamentarian to House Judiciary Chairman Lamar Smith and Lauren Pastarnack, a Senate Judiciary Committee senior aide, have accepted gigs with two of the lobbying firms that stand to gain the most from the passage of these regressive, First Amendment squelching, due-process destroying, job-killing bills. ... ... "

––••––
I can't stand piracy, theft and deception for profit, etc...
but is
Internet Gatekeeping... Zip Ban Delete... Guilty until proven Innocent... backed by a "select few of special interest"
the right way to solve it?

Weigh in with your thoughts on this...
and the possibility of the Internet, as we know it, being...

M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2012 at 6:26pm
Geno...

Let's put this thread in the "guest parking" section so anyone can post even if they're not a member here. It's an important topic, especially since we're all about freedom of speech.

What do you think?

Mixey
Gene_Leone_Mix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2012 at 6:29pm
Yes! Yes! Yes!
This need to be heard by all clearly & loudly!!!

All opinions voiced & welcome!!!

(((((Thank You, MIXEY!!!)))
s. p. a. t. View Drop Down
AdminTeam
AdminTeam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s. p. a. t. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2012 at 6:33pm
Done Geno.

S. P. A. T.
(Your obedient Soulful Planet Administration Team.)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2012 at 7:11pm
*LoL*

... but seriously... there is some excellent info, with terrific thoughts and comments being voiced LOUDLY about this important issue,
and it ALL needs to be read and heard...
yet, little of it seems to be hitting the primary
'news source feeds'.

One mighy ponder, once again, ...why?

Very interesting.
(I say we all "follow the money", as usual, and see where it leads!)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2012 at 9:26am
SOPA Cross links!
Here are more thoughts and comments and excellent info about SOPA from the cross links of the ongoing discussions on Facebook:

FB Page:
— Gene_Leone_Mix —
Topic: On Being Censored... Your Thoughts... ???

GLM -(Topic SOPA - Click Here)

FB Page:
— The Philadelpia Recording Community - Open Group —
Topic: On Being Censored... Your Thoughts... ???

PRC Open Group (Click here)

This info about this legislation needs to be heard and discussed, openly.
It has the potential to impact all of us, in many ways.

~Gene

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2012 at 9:40am

CNN - SOPA - (read full article here)

also ... looking back... remember
this fight over the Internet...

Soulful Planet Forums> Music General > Multi*Platinum Stellar Threads>
— Topic: Music Indies Unite!!! Save Internet Radio —
    Posted: Apr 24 2007 at 7:52pm
— Topic: Music Indies Unite!!! Save Internet Radio —

in a way... here we are, again fighting over ownership rights and uses, and freedom of speech and gatekeeping on the Internet...

Yikes! Happy 2012.
~Geno

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2012 at 11:35pm

Well, well...

the blackout has begun!

Piracy must be stopped,
but
Government Censorship is the wrong way to go about it...

— https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/ —

Amazing!
How Many Millions of People
Will it take to get Congress and the Senate
to even listen?

Sign that petition.

Tell Congress: Don’t censor the Web

Fighting online piracy is important.
The most effective way to shut down pirate websites is through targeted legislation that cuts off their funding.
There’s no need to make American social networks, blogs and search engines censor the Internet or undermine the existing laws that have enabled the Web to thrive, creating millions of U.S. jobs.

Too much is at stake – please vote NO on PIPA and SOPA.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2012 at 1:02am
Well lookie, lookie here...

— Congressman Lamar Smith, Author Of SOPA, Breaks Copyright Law On Campaign Website IMAGE —
January 18, 2012
By Jeromie Williams -
www.addictinginfo.org/2012/01/18

"On the same day that Wikipedia turned off their lights for 24 hours to protest the proposed “Stop Online Piracy Act” or SOPA as it is better known, the very politician who wrote the bill was called out by the 9GAG website for being caught redhanded breaking copyright law on his official campaign website. ... ..."

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/01/18/congressman-lamar-smith-author-of-sopa-breaks-copyright-law-on-campaign-website-image/
(click for full story and pics)

...Totally laughable... The politician most pushing SOPA...
Congressman Lamar Smith
well...
he sort of forgot to give photo credit for the pic(s) he uses on his website,
or hot-link the pic to it's source website,
or get permission to use the pic,
or god forbid, actually PAY to use the pic
for his own "commercial political financial gain" website...
...hmmmmmm!!!

And lobby money politician$ like this want to make up the laws for the rest of us?
\\\\\\\\\\—WTF!—//////////

p.s; Wanna buy a flag from Lamar? ((($$$ oh they aren't free?)))
— http://lamarsmith.house.gov/ConstituentServices/FlagRequest.htm _
"Please make your check payable to “The Supply Service Account of Congressman Lamar Smith”

Ya know, ...one might ask, what's wrong with this whole picture?

MickeyMac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickeyMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 20 2012 at 11:18am
THis is nothing more than censorship. These are the tactics that East Germany, Russia, Cuba, and the like have pulled. Now its happening here in America. Both parties. Need more proof that they are in bed together and dont care about the voters, this is it.
Anybody else missing George Bush besides me?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 20 2012 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by MickeyMac MickeyMac wrote:

THis is nothing more than censorship. These are the tactics that East Germany, Russia, Cuba, and the like have pulled. Now its happening here in America. Both parties. Need more proof that they are in bed together and dont care about the voters, this is it.

Mickey, Well said!!!

As I've emphasized and said before...

Piracy sucks, and yes, we really need to go after ANY theif who steals others' stuff for their own profit...
AND get restiution for "stolen stuff" and monies obtained via theft and re-sold for profit by the proven guilty thief,
gotten back to the actual owner/creators who have been ripped off!

Not much in there about that, is there? (in SOPA/PIPA)

We have Piracy laws that are on the books that need to simply be enforced... and strengthened.... and fairly applied, on a case by case basis, with restitution $$$ to those who were violated.

This SOPA crap thing was not about that, at all.
It was about special interest censorship laws that could easily be twisted to meet their own control freak agendas.

Wrong direction!

Ok... this article is interesting... and the reader comments give more clarification about it all, than is actually stated in the body of the article.

— Senate Postpones Vote on Internet Piracy Bill —

By JONATHAN WEISMAN
Published: January 20, 2012 - www.nytimes.com

"WASHINGTON — Senator Harry Reid, the majority leader, on Friday called off a scheduled vote on the online antipiracy bill that had rallied the World Wide Web and rocked Capitol Hill, and House leaders took steps to slow legislation as well... ... ..."

Read the full article and the COMMENTS,
(click here) — Senate Postpones Vote on Internet Piracy Bill —

M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2012 at 7:48pm
I was very happy to read that this was postponed yesterday Geno and MM.

I know it can sound confusing, because piracy is an issue, especially for all of us in music.

However, when someone demands to the have the right to censor, the reasons behind this demand cannot ever be just, I don't think.

Can anyone here come up with a reason why censorship would be justified? Seriously... I'd like to hear your opinions.

Thanks,

Mixey
dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2012 at 8:33am
The bill is going no where because it is poorly written and fundamentally flawed.  It needs to be killed, re-written to address the piracy issues and not be backed by lobby interests like Time Warner.

Republicans in Congress are against it as much as the Democrats.

As you all have pointed out it's about censorship, and that must be eliminated from any future bills.  I signed an online petition against it on Facebook, and thousands of others did, too.  Congress was flooded with these petitions and that's why they're backing off.

dream
http://cdbaby.com/cd/eugenepitt
hixhissuts View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hixhissuts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2012 at 11:50pm
I m the message test for your forum !
Congratulation Boss
M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 18 2012 at 6:56pm
I have no clue what the above post means; but S. P. A T. will be looking in on anything further.

Mixey
Guest View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2012 at 7:31am
Mixie,
I got something similar at Soulful Detroit. Obviously from some sort of weirdo. ZIP IT!
M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2012 at 12:49am
Hello Guest...

We might move a post that belongs somewhere else, but as you probably already know, we don't ZIP here like over on Soulful Detroit. One person's trash is another person's treasure. All differences are welcomed; and apart from agreeing with something that's against the law, it's all valued here and remains.

Mixey
Ralph Terrana View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ralph Terrana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2012 at 6:13am
Your choice, Mixey. Just be aware there is some nasty stuff going around out there that could compromise the integrity of the site. There are times a deletion is for the good of the website and it is best not to be overly altruistic. You have a responsibility to your members. I won't bother you again.
Ralph Terrana View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ralph Terrana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2012 at 6:18am
However, a simple "thank you for the suggestion" would have sufficed.
dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2012 at 6:53am
Mixey,

Soulful Planet is your site.  I have been a member since the beginning and I appreciate you and everyone here - you know this.  I let the bitterness go a long time ago.  Soulful Detroit and Soulful Planet are not in competition IMHO.  Both are dedicated to the music we love. The differences in forum rules and operation don't matter to me.

I also appreciate Ralph's willingness to give a warning about something that could be harmful to this site.  I know I don't want to pick up a harmful virus or spyware by coming here, and I don't want anything to compromise Soulful Planet.  Therefore, I will say thank you to Ralph for giving us a warning.

Thank you, Ralph.

dream
http://cdbaby.com/cd/eugenepitt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic