Soulful Planet  Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Soul of Six > Music General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PINK MARTINI & JIMMY SCOTT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PINK MARTINI & JIMMY SCOTT
    Posted: Jan 03 2009 at 3:33pm
"PINK MARTINI" is an eccletic group of musicians from all cutural backgrounds.  They perform concerts all over the world in some of the biggest halls with some of the biggest symphony orchestras. They also perform in "8" languages.  The leader and founder 'Thomas Lauderdale' has an incredible history. Thomas from Oregon met vocalist 'China Forbes' from Michigan while they were attending 'Harvard University'. They built quite a little empire with their large group of musicians (11 t0 16, and strings).  They are HOT in demand the world over and are booked up over a year in advance.

"Thomas" loves Jimmy Scott's voice, says he the best singer in history. He gifted us with some of Jimmy's 78 Records from 1951 & 52 in an original 78 record holder back some 3 or more years ago when he recorded the duet with China & Jimmy on their album.  He is an old soul! Thomas is as cute as he wants to be, whether running around in his cute little Mercedes convertable or going to antique or thrift stores.  He loves rummaging thru second hand stores for nostagia and has found some amazing things. He once gave me a very old 331/3 album holder from the mid 1950's.  He also sometimes brings along his old Polaroid Camera that works! He loves to take black & white shots of everyone, he gave us a couple he took of us, I think I have one nearby and he put one of Jimmy & I, and others in his CD "Hey Eugene". Thomas is a brilliant pianist and a really good group leader.  After each show he takes everyone out to the best resturant in town that money can buy and spluges on everyone dinner and a party  spending thousands of dollars. This guy has good taste in 'everything' he does, he truly appreciates the best.

"China" is just as beautiful inside as out, a stunning bi-racial women with good looks, high education, and class to match, not to mention a heavenly voice!  She's got it all. China recently married her longtime boyfriend, they bought a house together and are about to start a new family with a baby boy in February. What more can you say about such a talented stylist but listen to her voice!

Speaking of Thomas I was just interrupted with a pleasant phone call from him about doing some things together with him. At the concert another of his friends Alene whom he also met while attending Harvard came back to the dressingroom to lavish Jimmy with praise, she kept saying he's so amazing, he is amazing! LOL! She is a Hollywood Producer who wants to use Jimmy in one of her movie's singing, this would be fantastic! Also her husband Kit was with her, I think he's an actor I've seen in movie's before, I didn't want to ask.  There's some irons in the fire which is good for Jimmy's spirit and health. Hey if 'Herb Jeffries' (we met someone there who knew Herb too) can still do concerts and performances at age 96, then Jimmy can at age 83+! Jimmy is a real trooper, even though he felt under the weather he still wanted to hit the stage. 

The second set was changed a little because one of PM's songs were added in the broadcast (their gig) so Jimmy did two in that set.  Another addition was "Stan Freberg". Don't know if you heard him and other songs on NPR because that was all after the New Year's Cheer and "Auld Lang Syne", the 'live radio broadcast' was cut off
at 12:05 am even though the show continued for 30 minutes more.  Some may know or remember the 82 year old
"Stan Freberg", former old movie actor, voice actor, puppeteer, and Producer at Capitol Records. P.M. is doing a new album with Stan so they brought Stan & his wife onstage to introduce them and talk about the record, then did one of Stan's songs.  Here is "Stan Freberg" with puppets on t.v. in younger days:

Pink Martini in the studio:

Here is some info on "Pink Martini" and some memorbilia from the "gig". I took a few 'photos' which I'll post sometime next week.
S.S.

"Love Is The Answer" ~ Little Jeanie Scott
Soul Sister View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 03 2009 at 3:48pm
Memorbilia:

We stayed at the OMNI HOTEL in downtown L.A. Love the OMNI we stayed their before when Jimmy performed at the "California Plaza".  Love their pool.
Both times we stayed at the OMNI I could see the pool from our windows. Last time was in the summer in July so I got to enjoy the pool, not this time.
Can you believe some guy was at the pool in his Speedo sun tanning!  The temp was in the 50's to 60's, lol.

They flew us in first class, first seats.We had a junior suite at the hotel. Here's the group list:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 03 2009 at 3:56pm
The venue "Walt Disney Concert Hall" was an amzing hall, home of the Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra.  Incredible archetecture and great accoustics.  I could see it out of both the bedroom and livingroom windows.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 03 2009 at 3:59pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 03 2009 at 4:02pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 03 2009 at 4:08pm
"Pink Martini"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 03 2009 at 4:12pm
The beautiful "China Forbes".

"Thomas Lauderdale"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 03 2009 at 4:15pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 03 2009 at 4:18pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 03 2009 at 4:22pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 03 2009 at 4:25pm
China:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 03 2009 at 4:29pm
China & Thomas:

Thomas' favorite camera Smile:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 03 2009 at 4:35pm
"Stuff" (lol) from the New Year's Eve Concert:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 03 2009 at 4:41pm
Jimmy's dressingroom door:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 03 2009 at 4:46pm
Set List for late show. There were some changes, I'll talk about later:

NPR Live Broadcast:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 03 2009 at 4:51pm

Just can't get over the archetecture of this venue!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 03 2009 at 4:59pm
Pink Martini's CD's: 

The jacket is Thomas' father holding him up when he was a baby:

Track List:

This was PM's first CD. They have sold 1.3 Million copies worldwide!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 03 2009 at 5:07pm
"Hey Eugene" CD ~ Jimmy & China recorded their duet here.

The jacket is one of the group member's grandmother Big%20smile:

Our photo that Thomas took with his Polaroid and others on CD insert:

Thomas thanks us and others on insert:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 03 2009 at 5:18pm
The above Photo... Thomas took on New Year's Eve 3 years ago in Portland, Oregon backstage
at the Portland Theater (Arlene Schnitzer Hall).

The below Photo... Thomas took over 1 and 1/2 years ago in London, England backstage at The Roundhouse:

More later.......
S.S.
dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 03 2009 at 5:49pm
ClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapStarClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClap

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!!!

I'm loving this thread, S.S..  Pink Martini is fabulous and I absolutely love China's voice.  It's good to see them all here and I especially like the photo where they're leaping.  It seems to express their personality as a group.  You can tell when people are really enjoying what they're doing.

That concert hall is gorgeous!!  What a magnificent place to play.

Your travelogues get better and better and I can't wait to see the personal photos.  Thanks for taking the time to share with us!!Smile

dream
http://cdbaby.com/cd/eugenepitt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic