Soulful Planet  Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Soul of Six > Music General
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - PIANOS... I love pianos and great piano players!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PIANOS... I love pianos and great piano players!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PIANOS... I love pianos and great piano players!!!
    Posted: Jun 19 2009 at 6:00am

It's no mystery how much I'm into pianos and great piano players!

Erroll Garner... playing the beautiful song he composed "Misty".

I'm saving up for a great piano for the studio... either a wonderful sounding Steinway Model D Concert Grand:

... or a darker sounding Boesendorfer 290 Imperial.

Maybe something in between like the Hamburg Steinway D 274:

Since 2007 I think, Boesendorfer has been owned by Yamaha. They outbid Gibson. I don't know if that changed anything.  Plus the 290 has a full 8 octaves, which is a little disorienting for someone like me, who can easily forget where middle C is. 

The piano I get has to sound great for recording...No Yamaha "cloud".  No thumping pedals like some of the otherwise great sounding older Steinways. Some Baldwins sound great, but the new ones have that plastic sound.

The Hamburg Steinway Model B-211 is supposed to be the best piano in the world for recording. I have to check into this. 

How does a C. Bechstein 280 stack up next to the Bosendorfer 290 and the Steinway D 274 or Concert Grand Model D... or the Steinway B-211?

Anyone have any suggestions?

Mixey
dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2009 at 9:16am
Hi MIXEY!!!

I received a very nice e-mail from Ralph Terrana this morning.Smile  In case you're wondering, Ralph and I have been in contact for some time now and have buried the hatchet completely.  We both feel it's all about the music, not past grudges , and Ralph has been very helpful to me with my job with Gene Pitt.  He's demonstrated some real class with me and I appreciate it.ClapThumbs%20Up

He noticed your thread and has some good advice for you.

Ralph asked me to tell you the piano you want is a New York Steinway D NOT the Hamburgh Model D.  He also says stay the heck away from the Boesendoeffers.  They are overpriced and don't come close to Steinway's NY D models.

Ralph knows what he's talking about, not from a musician perspective, but from a piano tuner's knowledge.  He's been a registered member of the Piano Technician's Guild for nearly 40 years.  The NY D is the piano you want.  TRUST!

dream
http://cdbaby.com/cd/eugenepitt
dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2009 at 9:28am
Ralph just added, all differences aside, he's just trying to help.  At one time he was a national examiner and those who wanted to be part of the Guild had to get by him to demonstrate their skills.

The NY Steinway D is the piano all other manufacturers try and emulate.

Ralph is sorry for your loss of Travis, Mixey, and he wishes you peace.

dream
Soul Sister View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2009 at 9:52am
Hi All;
Thanks for posting this, dream, I agree with all you've said here. 
I think that shows alot of class on Ralph's part.  Peace in the valley, happy life is what it's all about.  I've always liked Ralph a great deal before the forum wars when lines were drawn and it became different sides.  He really is a helluva nice guy.  We all can learn something from each other for the good of the music we all love. 
I also love seeing Ralph & Russ's video's, fun, interesting, and educational. Jesse did a great job with the camera work too!! Smile

M I X E Y,
 Personally I don't know much about piano's but have always heard Steinway was heads above the rest.
 Jimmy's all-time favorite piano player was "Red Garland", he was a master.
  Best of luck on whatever piano you decide upon, MIXEY.

Intersting thread and the Errol Garner video clip.  We should post more of the good piano genius` clips if there are any available on masters like Red Garland, Bud Powell, Kenny Barron, etc.......

Much Love to Everyone,
S.S.

"Love Is The Answer" ~ Little Jeanie Scott
dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2009 at 10:06am
THANK YOU, S.S.!!!

This shows a great deal of class on Ralph's part and I know he's very sincere about his efforts to help and open the door to communication once again.

When I first started working for Gene, I contacted Ralph and asked for his help with some contacts.  He could have blown me off, but he didn't.  Instead, we made up and have been communicating ever since.  He's been very helpful to me and I thank him for it.  He IS a helluva nice guy and I always got along well with him at SDF.

It's a shame what happened back then, but there was plenty of blame to go around.  Neither side was innocent and I admit I made many mistakes.  I'm just as gulity of bad behavior as anyone else.

All that was long ago and I let go of any grudges I had long ago.  They serve no purpose.  We have a common bond that binds all of us - the love of the music and the artists.  That's what is important to me.

I hope we can all move forward in a positive manner.  Ralph has made a very classy move here and I hope we will return his kindness and generosity.

dream
dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2009 at 10:45am
Hi Mixey,

Ralph has two more additions to his advice...

He says you should not buy a D out of the box so to speak.  Play them all.  All pianos vary, even if they are the same make and model.  A great place to go is Steinway Hall in NYC.  They have a basement full of Steinways for sale.  Go there and play the hell out of all the D's before making a decision.

Even a used D could be a great investment.  Stay away from the D's made in the '60's though.  The '70's D's had teflon bushings which received a bad rap, maybe unfairly so.  D's from the '80's up are good, but again play them all.

dream

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2009 at 11:33am
I agree  with Ralph's savvy advice.  I know of a few professional pianists who went ot the Steinway building in N.Y.C. to buy their piano's.  Plus there are experts working there who can answer all your questions.

S.S.
dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2009 at 1:41pm
Hi Mixey,

Here's another suggestion from Ralph.

He says another brand to consider is Yamaha.  Yamaha provides the pianos for the Monterey Jazz Festival where Ralph has been the piano tuner for many years.  He said he's had some real eye openers and they are definitely worth considering.  He's sure the price is considerably lower than Steinway.

Thanks Ralph.Smile

dream

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2009 at 3:18pm
AHHH....I was going to mention Yamaha as a second choice too, lol, good work dream & Ralph!!! LOL

Lots of good info & options.

S.S.
jazzmessenger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzmessenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2009 at 4:44pm
Hi Mixey:

You can't go wrong with a Steinway Model D, they are a beautiful instrument..Dizzy's, The Village Vanguard, Iridium,and The Jazz Standard all in town have one..They are great to play on, as they almost all play the same, and have a very dark/rich sound..I especially like the action on the Steinway..I'm not that great a fan of the Boesendorfer..Many of the cats in town don't really dig the Boesendorfer, as they are very bright sounding and the action is kind of stiff on them...The Blue Note and Birdland use the Boesendorfer because of Oscar Peterson, who frequently performed at these clubs..He used the Boesendorfer exclusively..I also really dig Yahama's as they always sound and feel good..The Yahama C7 is the piano a lot of jazzers like..Though if you are going to spend all that bread on a Steinway or Boesendorfer, you should really check out the Faziloi...This is a dream of a piano, and most everybody who plays on one falls in love with them..A lot of the big studios in town are starting to use them, and Herbie Hancock plays them exclusively..http://www.fazioli.com/eng/cura_pianoforte.php   So if money is no opition, I would get a Faziloi, just my two cents..

Hey Jeanie, I didn't know Jimmy loved Red Garland...He is one of my all-time favorites...I've been transcribing a lot of his solos lately..Did they ever work together?

Hipness is not a state of mind, It's a fact of life!
~ Cannonball Adderley

-Alex

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2009 at 5:30pm

There you have it M I X E Y, all the top jazz venues in New York City and most around the world use that Steinway Model D!

Thanks for that Alex.
Yes, Jimmy did work with Red in the 50's as well as Bud Powell and all the greats. That's hip your diggin` on Red's style. Smile

Jeanie
Mike Garson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Garson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2009 at 8:47am
I LOVE THE PIANO AND HOPE THEY DON'T BECOME ANTIQUATED LIKE THE HARPSICHORD.
THE JOY EVERYDAY I RECEIVE PLAYING IT AND PRACTICING IT KEEPS ME ALIVE.
THE 5 BEST PIANOS I EVER PLAYED IN MY LIFE  (OVER HUNDREDSSmile OF CONCERTS)WERE STEINWAYS. A FEW AMERICAN AND A FEW GERMAN ONES.
THEY ALL HAVE THEIR OWN PERSONALITY AND CHANGE WHEN YOU NURTURE THEM IN YOUR HOME.
THANK YOU
MIKE GARSON
"I want to play how I feel in every moment."
misty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote misty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2009 at 12:17pm
I think this is great - that Ralph would reach out and be so helpful. Says a lot about his character. I'm so on board with the whole let bygones be bygones thing. The flareups on Soulful Detroit were unfortunate, but they were years ago - and with the way people drop like flies nowawdays - grudges shouldn't be held.  It's all about the music anyway.
Keep On Keepin' On
Sue W. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sue W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2009 at 12:30pm
Agreed Misty, make peace and move on...
M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2009 at 6:18pm
Dream, Soul Sister, Misty and Sue...
Thank you for your contributions.

Soul Sister...
Here's a good one with The Bud Powell Trio... Really interesting shaped fingers he had.  I love the overhead shot, where he's making a run and even has time to scratch his head.  lol

I'm looking for a good one with Red Garland and Kenny Barron, etc.

Jazzmessenger...
Thank you for the Fazioli link.  I'm looking at it now.  I've only heard 1 Fazioli.  It sounded wonderful, but it was also being played by Mike, who can make even inexpensive keyboards, sound great.  This is an M-Audio keyboard... and Mike messing around with it:

I need to make sure that whatever piano I get, will appeal to most players, and more importantly will sound good through the mics. I'll look into the Fazioli more.

Mike...
Thank you. Your expertise speaks volumes in favor of those 5 special Steinways, and trumps performers who like Boesendorfer; but I guess I have to hear them all anyway.

I'll check into the Steinways; and hopefully I can come across something that may measure up to 1 of those 5 that you loved.  I'm familiar with the Steinway vault.  Looks like everyone here is pointing me that way.  I had a sense that the German Steinways might be even better than the American ones for recording... maybe even a 7'. 

Do you remember where you played those Steinways?

I saw this article in Mix with Al Schmitt talking about recording Joe Sample on a German Steinway.  There's also an article about you in there too. Cool!

I know that like Jazzmessenger,  you love some Yamaha's too, but I have not heard one yet that I like for recording.  There's this hiss from underneath, when the pedals are used that I refer to as "the cloud".  I know I need to check them out more, because if it wasn't for that hiss, I generally love everything else about them.

I'll check into that C-7 too Jazzmessenger.

OMG!  What the ? is this??
Who is this guy Mike?  He's playing your composition... but what's the monster he's playing on???  R-371 12'  Interesting, but looks way too big for the studio. A 12 foot piano?  LOOOOOL

Mixey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2009 at 7:32pm
MIXEY,
  Yes, I know what you mean about his hands, lol.  Schrated his head without missing a beat, how 'bout that. LOL
  Bud had a rough life in and out of institutions at certain periods of his life. I guess you could say a troubled musician, but one that was very much in demand.

Thanks for the video clip.

S.S.
toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2009 at 12:47am
     Monk does it for me......

Thelonious%20Monk%20-%20Blue%20Monk%20-%201963 Click the pic

toad
Down, and nearly out in Detroit......
M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2009 at 4:31pm
OMG!!  LOL

Toad I LOVED that!!!!!  & that was 1963!

Mixey
toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2009 at 9:38pm
         This is a live recording By one of my favorite
 players..Horace Silver.  The song title reminds me of
  someone I know. Horace gets wound up in it about 6 minutes into the tune. Listen to hear some Asian things
 goin' on in his solo. He spent time in Asia, performing..
 I think. A semi-be bop tune.

Horace%20Silver%20Filthy%20McNasty click the pic.

toad
toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2009 at 6:10pm
         My Favorite Monk piece of all times !!!!
 Thelonious%20Monk%20-%20Crepuscule%20with%20Nellie%20-%20Berliner%20Jazztage%201969%20%285/6%29 click the pic  [Don't ask about the name]

toad
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic