Soulful Planet  Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Soul of Six > Music General > Gigs & Concerts
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PARTY GIG

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PARTY GIG
    Posted: Jul 07 2011 at 9:55am
Tonight should be a whole lotta fun. The Heart N Soul Band is playing at the wrap up party for the "American Pie" movie crew right here in little old Conyers, GA.

This area especially Covington, GA just the next town over has been a very busy place for TV and movies over the years. Shows like the "Duke's Of Hazzard" and "In the Heat of the Night" filmed here all the time. Several movies are going on in the Atlanta area. Traffic has been completely snarled on the other side of the city while zombies wandered around the highways and byways.

Funny story -  I have a couple friends the own Conyers Pharmacy. I knew that they were in the store past 7:00pm and I had a check from someone that I wanted to cash quickly. I went by the store and just as I suspected the door was still unlocked. As I entered I noticed a really uncomfortable look from Anthony and Ronnie and noticed two individuals in the store. "OH crap!" .... did I walk in on a robbery?  NO. It was Howard Rollins in a blonde Dolly Parton wig horn-rim sunglasses  pink Converse and knickers buying $80.00 + dollars of over-the-counter antihistamines with his white boyfriend. Some crazy stuff happens around here, thank you Hollywood!
John Joseph
Bassist
Johnny Joe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2011 at 10:43am
How quickly thing change! As I posted this I received a call from John Scott and this Party is cancelled tonight. It seems that they aren't done the production due to huge thunderstorms that have been rolling through this part of the southeast. Welcome to summertime in Georgia! Chris the proprietor of the Whistle Post will in fact be closed tonight instead while the film crew puts his restaurant and bar back together. We will be playing there Saturday night starting at 7:00pm. This is a departure from the original schedule also. We were scheduled to start playing outside at 1:00pm for the Bicycle Ride for Breast Cancer sponsored by Budweiser. Other band have been added to the Venue and we get moved indoors out of the mid 90 degree weather. Sounds just fine to me, and with a sponsor like this we will still be paid well.
John Joseph
Bassist
Johnny Joe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2011 at 10:47am
BTW - this is a little about Covington, GA.... it is like entering the Twilight Zone when you go there. There is a bit of different sounding southern twang and some local slang or enunciation of particular southern type words. I have spent many more years of my life in this area than I spent growing up with Jeff in the Philly burb's and I still think this is funny.

Covington has served as the location for filming of several television shows, including the TV series In the Heat of the Night, the first five episodes of The Dukes of Hazzard and major films including My Cousin Vinny, Remember the Titans, Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives and Halloween II, Rob Zombie's sequel to his 2007 film Halloween. Currently, The CW's television series The Vampire Diaries uses downtown Covington as the filming location for the fictional town of Mystic Falls, Virginia, and a made-for-TV NBC movie, "The Magic Eye" was filmed in March 2011.
John Joseph
Bassist
M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2011 at 2:54am
This was a really good read Johnny Joe! Thank you for the movie links.

I had a good time reading about Covington, GA, too. I'd love to see this in Soulful Cities under "Covington, GA". Very interesting place!!

Would you mind if we move the thread over there? We could also leave it here and make a copy of it to place over there... or put a "moved to" arrow here, etc.

Mixey
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic