Soulful Planet  Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Soul of Six > Music General > Geek Bucket
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New PC Problem I now have

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New PC Problem I now have
    Posted: Jan 26 2009 at 7:43pm
        I bought a new E-machines computer[gateway now] about
 3 years ago. I update it all the time,have   anti-spyware and
 virus protection downloads in place. I also keep it defraged,
and make sure I have done all to keep it running smooth.
         About 6 months ago, I noticed a problem. When I am
 watching a long running video... one, usually over 5 minutes,
    The computer will just completely shut down.
 The power is cut to the tower, and if I try to restart it
 quickly, it will crash again. If I wait about 7 to 10 minutes,
 I am able to restart it.  It doesn't do this all the time...
 just sometimes.  My spyware and virus programs tell
 me everything is cool, so I am perplexed to why it crashes.
      Please don't tell me to buy a Mac. I can't afford to buy the
 decals they put on Macs.  My PC has tons of memory and
 Ram, and all that other good stuff. I don't even have
 30% of the space being used on this machine.
      Any ideas as to what my problem is?   HELP !

toad
Down, and nearly out in Detroit......
Gene_Leone_Mix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2009 at 4:29pm

TOAD!!!

Not sure where this stuff is on a PC,

but...
Think about this stuff:

Check your settings for your Computer's

"Sleep Mode"... "Screen Saver"... "Hard Drive Sleep Mode" ... "Energy Saver Mode" and whatever else they might be called...
in your personal preference settings...

It might just be "timing out" when there is...
"no mouse or typing activity going on...
or...
(((no semi-nekkid women dancing activity very near your computer "shaking things up")))

and so, the computer "thinks" that it might be nap time.

Could this be what's going on?

Some software/programs do not like Screen Savers or "sleep" modes while they are running... ever...
((( for example: "ProTools" can freak out if a screen saver comes on...
I have the settings set to: "off" or "never" or "not in this lifetime" or "when hell freezes over" or "when my big bailout check gets here from Washington, DC" ...etc. *LoL*)))

p.s. all (4) on my Mac's actually do love it when any of those semi-nekkid women start dancing very near to them... shaking things up... yeah, just another day at the 'D'Street Office... ***LoL***
Just kidding, but hope some of this might actually help...
Jeff and/or Mixey might be able to help waaay more as they are very much more knowledgeable than I on PC stuff.
~Smiles & GoodLuckWithFixingThisConundrum ~
Geno

p.s.s.   Also, Toad, be sure that the computer has not eaten any lamb lately!

It might start firing guns and rockets into the sky or sumpthin',
then have a nap... then fire the missiles! and daaaamn... oh no, its

The End Of The World!

*LoL*

s. p. a. t. View Drop Down
AdminTeam
AdminTeam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s. p. a. t. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2009 at 5:20pm
Toad...

Geno has some good ideas, but I'm guessing you didn't have a timeout problem before... and you probably haven't changed those settings.

If that's the case, then...

You most likely simply need to update your ATI drivers. 

Go to "Device Manager" and find out what kind of video card you have. 

Uninstall the current driver you are using.

Then go to the website of the company that matches your video card... and install the right driver. 

If you don't want to do it yourself, then these websites will do it for you:

or:

Let me know if it works.

Mixey 
with S. P. A. T.

Jeff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2009 at 7:22pm
Toad ...

There are some good suggestions above. But I agree with S.P.A.T./MIXEY ... since you're not a dufus with computers, I'm guessing you haven't created the problem yourself by altering settings, etc.

As for Gene's comments ... good advice. Screen savers, hibernation modes, etc. could upset things, depending on your configuration. There are soooo many variables at play. If you DO use power-saving modes, my advice is - don't! Turn em all off! Whether you're on Windows XP or Vista, go to your control panel, open "Power Options" (WinXP) or whatever they call it in Vista, and make sure your settings look like this:

Hibernation settings are designed for folks who never power down their computers - and I'm not one of them. Because Windows needs to be rebooted regularly to stay sane.

Another question in my mind ... If your machine is three years old there's a slight chance that you MIGHT not be on Windows Vista ... but I'm guessing you probably are. Reply and let us know what OS you're running.

Here are some other questions I have that are relevant ...

1) IF you're on Windows XP, have you downloaded and installed SP3?

2) What browser do you use? Windows Explorer? What version? v.10? v.11?

3) If not Windows Explorer, what browser? Mozilla? Or do you use a specific player to view videos, like RealPlayer?

Something somewhere has gotten facocted. There's an answer, and we may be able to figure this out.

Jeff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2009 at 7:38pm
MIXEY & JEFF!!!

OUTSTANDING IDEAS!

Toad, any luck yet?
I was wondering ... if all else fails, should we send beer with a nice NAMM rack to go with it?
M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2009 at 11:19pm
Cool Jeff... 
Good advice.   Toad is on XP.

Toad...
We forgot about the drivers.  lol

Mixey
Jeff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2009 at 8:07am

Further thoughts ... I didn't tell the whole story about power schemes ... look at the picture below.

My previous picture only showed ONE power scheme setting - for my DVD player software. In fact there are multiple power schemes you can set ...  The red arrow points to the drop-down menu where these various power schemes are accessed.

Look at all your power scheme settings ... you'll see they're all a little different. I suggest changing ALL of the values for each power scheme to the value "Never" as shown in the red circle.

Other thoughts... I doubt your virus software has anything to do with this.

It is possible that your video card driver got corrupted. Deleting and reinstalling a driver might help. You might have a disc with system utiliies and drivers that came with your computer... if not you can grab an appropriate driver off the Video Card Mfg.'s website as has been suggested.

If you do regular OS updates you may have pulled down WinXP Service Pack 3 (SP3). This is a big update that essentially makes XP more like Vista in many regards. SP3 shouldn't necessarily cause problems with CPUs that have ample RAM and HD space as you say yours does ... but @!*# happens. Wondering if you've installed SP3 and it might have created conflicts.

Also ... how much RAM does your video card have? 256MB should be sufficient for home and recreational use but 256MB isn't considered a LOT of video RAM. RAM is cheap ... you might consider upping your VRAM to 512MB.

Jeff
toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2009 at 4:43pm
      I am back on-line, but I don't know for sure how I got here.
  I messed around with every setting on the box, and nothing seemed to work. After I installed a new anti-virus and anti-spyware program,
 I couldn't get on the web.
      I tried every method I could think of, and then dialed my pal Mixey,
 for help. I wasn't fully tuned into how sick she was, and her and I worked
 out a bunch of fixes...of which ONE WORKED. Not ten minutes later,
It quit working.  After spending all day today trying things, I figured
 out how to set-up a new network connection.... and here I am.
      I am going to look into some of your suggestions to fix the {Time-out}
 problem. If you don't see anymore posts from me, assume the box
 ate lamb, and freeked out again.
   Thank you all for the help, and Mixey...forgive me for my intrusion
while yer sick. Ten grapefruits, and a couple bottles of Nyquil will
 do you better than trying to help me.
      I will now expiriment a little to see if all is better with this box.
 Pray for me......

toad
toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2009 at 4:49pm
  For some un-known reason, All of Geno's videos that he has posted,
 are just white boxes on my screen. I musta checked the wrong box in
 my panic to get back here.

toad
toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2009 at 6:15pm
       Geno's vids are fixed. Good thing I don't own a pistol. I would have shot this computer yesterday. Should I have hibernation enabled on this
 box? It somehow don't sound good to me. It hibervates too much..
as of late.   Geno, The NAMM rack and beer sounds GOOD!

toad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2009 at 10:25pm

TOAD!!!

Look at this! I just found this super top secret
hidden file
right next to the dust balls in the back of your computer
right next
to the server rack and the subwoofer
in the Woof House!

Read every word!

Could this be an unrelated cause of the problem?

(click any button to solve Yer problems!)

*LoL*
Geno

M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2009 at 10:32pm
LOoOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(o)(o)
Geno I'm dying! lol
Toad he's not kidding... click any one!!!  LOL
Mixey ClapClapClap
toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2009 at 12:15pm
     I haven't laughed, or even smiled in the
 last few days, after my computer took a shit,
  But Geno's latest post on this thread....
     HAD ME LAUGHING MY ASS OFF !!!Big%20smile

Now, when I go the help and support
 section for Windows, where do I look for
  THAT page?

Who needs Bill Gates, when we have Geno
 in da house????????????
      I have decided to buy a can of RAID,
 and shoot it into the back of my computer
 tower.... pour nitrometane all over the
 key board, and dunk the mouse in some
 of Mixey's Aloha Soy Sauce.... drink myself
 into a coma, and try the help and support
 programs once again.

The latest error box is telling me to
 enable the "Just-in-time Debugger.
   How in the hell, is a retard like me supposed
 to sort out where the "debugger" is hiding
 in 50 million bits of information?Angry
      I got the crabs once, and found a good
 debugger.... Maybe I'll pour some of that
 juice in the back of the box. I will wait
 for more instructions from Geno before
 I procede....    GENO.... HELP ME !!!!!!

toad
Jeff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2009 at 2:55pm
Sounds like your're even deeper down the rabbit hole now Toad ...

Dunno if your hard drive has a "system restore" partition on it from the factory ... but you might consider the nuclear option ... when it all goes to hell, sometimes it's best to erase the blackboard completely.

Nuke it!

"Drop the big one ... pulverize 'em..."

LOL

Jeff
M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2009 at 11:50pm
OMG Jeff!!!!!!!!!!!
That's awesome!!!  Look at Toad's eyes. LOL You're unreal!! ClapClapClap

!!Toad... I'm rolling!! Big%20smile
What's going on now with your computer?

Mixey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2009 at 2:04pm

JEFF!!!!!!! AWESOME!!!!

MIXEY!!!! Too FUNNY!!!!

TOAD!!!! Back Up YOUR STUFF first before Nuking!!!!

(and we're sending snow shovels, a radiation suit,
and an extra RACK Of NAMM
in case You might have to hibernate for a Nuclear Winter!)
*LOL*
~Geno

p.s. I'll work on a new power preference "DeBug This!" screen! In the mean time, for now, to stay sane and possibly, to fix ALL Yer problems...
just keep clicking the "Sort of OK" or "WTF?" buttons above, repeatedly!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2009 at 6:45pm
Reposting the here as well as in the Toad Birthday thread...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I just got off the phone with Toad...

His computer is in "Gray Screen" mode, like it is thinking that it is now a doorstop or an ash tray or something totally mindless.

He called locally for some computer help, and they told him it sounds like his hard drive has now possibly crashed as well. He also said that the guy said he might have "a problem with RAM"... and Toad said all he could think of was "yeah, and a problem with LAMB, too". *LoL*

Toad said that he won't be able to get the salvage work done on his computer for a little while,
(the other computer guy who usually helps him out with this stuff is away) and so...
Toad asked me to post this info up here for him, just to let everybody here on SoulfulPlanet know what's up, and that he'll get back here as soon as he possibly can.

Damn!

~Geno

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2009 at 4:19pm
     I'm back, but must make some adjustments to this machine.
  Thanks, Geno for helping me make up my feeble mind about how to approach this problem.

toad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2009 at 9:00pm
Y E S !!!

Toad is BACK!

Very Glad To Hear This!
~BigSmiles & BigRackofNAMMs
       In Your General Direction!~
*LoL*
Genoooooooooooooooooooo
Jeff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 04 2009 at 8:25pm

My thoughts....

I understand why so many people have had problems lately with Windows XP, and with Windows Vista. I can tell you for sure that the problem is not because Windows XP/SP3 or Vista are lousy operating systems. In fact, they are quite reliable. As reliable on any given day on a properly set up computer as a Mac is. Trust me ... I work in a production department that runs computers on both platforms, and both operating systems run just fine. Equally well. (Think Macs don't crash? You'd be waaay wrong about that.)

Toad and many other PC users are seeing their computers begin to flake out and act weird. Or worse. A few key issues are at play here, and if you don't understand what they are you'll find yourself staring at the computer that just last week was your trusty steed - but overnight has turned deaf, dumb, and blind. It can be maddening, and it's happening to a LOT of people.

Problem #1: Many computer owners are using computers that THEY may not consider "old" - but in terms of the evolution of the Windows operating system - they now are. A computer you bought just three or four years ago that ran great out of the box may well be too underpowered to run the latest version of Windows XP. People don't understand that their computers may no longer have enough RAM (memory) to run Windows XP efficiently. ESPECIALLY if you've downloaded SP3 (Service Pack 3, the biggest, heaviest security update to Windows XP). If your older laptop or desktop has 1 GB of RAM or less, your computer could be struggling hard to keep up. Things will only get worse from here on in. In this day and age you need AT LEAST 1 GB of RAM to run Windows XP/SP3 efficiently. As Toad said, more RAM is always better.

Problem #2: People buy computers loaded with a LOT of crappy software "extras" from the factory. (Meaning software programs you don't really use, and didn't want - but load when you start your computer and run in the "background.") These programs open and run, using up your computer's RAM - and you might not even know it! Programs like a manufacturer's "update" - like HP Home, and similar programs. Or messaging programs like AIM or Windows Messenger that start up and sit there while you do other work. These are RAM HOGS - and they should be turned off in your Start Menu, along with EVERY OTHER PROGRAM THAT YOU DO NOT NEED TO RUN. This is a major contributor to "computer-lag"... crappy programs you're not using that are sapping your computer of horsepower.

Most, but not all PCs these days are shipping with Windows Vista installed. Again, Toad pointed out that Vista itself is a RAM hog, and he is correct. For a PC to run Vista well it should have AT LEAST 2 GB of RAM on board. I strongly advise 4 GB of RAM for any computer running Vista, and most new computers can accommodate that much, and more.

Windows Vista is NOT a nightmare. My personal experience. I have purchased two computers that run Vista. One is a small Dell Inspiron laptop I bought last year for my younger daughter for college. It has 2 GB of RAM and it is a rocket ship! Runs super fast, with zero problems. My daughter loves it. She has never reported any problems with it. That was my first hands-on experience with Vista, and I was rather impressed. That laptop runs the entire Adobe Suite CS2 and a ton of other stuff without breaking a sweat. Multiple programs open, running videos - no problem.

The other Vista PC is a refurbished HP desktop, also with just 2 GB of RAM. It too runs great. I run Adobe CS3 and other RAM hungry apps on it and it has never burped. I have no complaints.

These two computers are typical of what people out there are buying every day. They both perform flawlessly - and neither of them are "monster" computers - like, with an Intel quad core chip or 8 GB of RAM. I think Vista runs great. That's what I've witnessed firsthand, on "typical" computers.

So why all the horror stories with Vista? Or XP, for that matter?

Most come from computer users who do not understand these issues; who run computers that are old and buggy with fragmented hard drives, too little RAM, driver conflicts, and any number of other avoidable issues. This is nothing new. Computers will always confound those who have a hard time understanding how computers work, and what they need to run reliably, and well. There are many issues, and the issues always change over time.

I talked to a guy on a plane the other week; an IT guy for a big corporation, and a true geek. He said he'd just tried out a beta version of Windows 7 - the release that's coming next after Vista - and he loved it. Said it was great. I read an equally encouraging review of Win7 in PC Magazine that said there are many good things about it.

So if your trusty old computer is breaking down ... it may be time for a new one. Don't be afraid of Vista. In many ways the Vista interface is more elegant and "Mac-like" if you like the Mac experience.

dream!...  you can buy computers with Windows Vista that offer "downgrades" to Windows XP! (When you first start it up you choose to load Windows XP instead of Vista.) I bought an inexpensive Power Spec desktop for my older daughter because she likes XP. It works great. Check out this link for a similar PowerSpec desktop ... it is A SCREAMER! - for $599! - over half a terabyte of drive space, 4 GB RAM, core duo processor, AND downgrade rights to Windows XP!

Jeff
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic