Soulful Planet  Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Soul of Six > Music Meccas
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

NEW ORLEANS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plunk88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2007 at 9:56am
thanks s.p.a.t.  I hope anyone that reads that epistle will be inspired to check booker out....that record is out on the rounder label, btw
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
Gene_Leone_Mix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2007 at 12:11pm

George!!!

Wow!!!

I am blown away...

So much to say... where do I even begin...

but first... here...

— James Booker - You Don't Love Me (1978) —

— James Booker: Let Them Talk —

— James Booker - Pixie (1978) —
A truly gifted New Orleans piano player"

— JAMES BOOKER - Make This World A Better Place—

—•—

James Booker - Pianist, Vocalist, Recording Artist (December 17, 1939 - November 8, 1983)

— The James Booker Discography with Lp Pics —
—( click here )—

plunk88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plunk88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2007 at 12:31pm
Hey Geno

I hope The Soulful Planet folks appreciate you! Like I said, you may need love, but you need a little booker too.

best

geo

Signifying nothing.
toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2007 at 12:31pm
"You Don't love me"   WOW !!!Thumbs%20Up
Down, and nearly out in Detroit......
plunk88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plunk88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2007 at 12:47pm
A Quick Booker Story

Folks wonder about the eye patch....Booker was hooked up with Ringo Starr and played on alot of Ringo's solo stuff.....

Any of you Beatles fans remember Mal Evans?

A hulking man, Evans was the Beatles first and only roadie, and after they stopped touring, was their chief of security.

Booker found a way to confound the office staff at Apple, and kept sucsessfully  requisitioning session checks for sessions he had already been paid for...evidently he embezzled quite a bit of money from the Apple Corps.

So Ringo (or probably somebody at Apple, really, but its a better story if Starkey gave the order) sent Mal out to extract a little justice.

Evans beat the crap out of Booker so thoroughly that as a cherry on top of the beating, kicked him in the eye socket as Booker laid broken on the ground, destroying his eyeball.

Thats how I heard it anyway.

Booker was no Saint, even if his music might have approached saintly heights. He was a junkie New Orleans pain in the ass always looking for a hustle guy too. I never had to deal with him, just listen...so I got the sweet end of the stick, but if you talk to people in New Orleans that lived, worked, or were even light contact with him....a different story emerges.

He was the Character of Characters in a city FULL of Characters.
Signifying nothing.
dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2007 at 12:48pm
My  Sweet Lord!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sitting here completely overwhelmed by your story, George, and Booker's music.  You both have touched my heart to the extent I have no words to express how I feel at the moment.

I want to hug you both and embrace you in my life...

Great videos, Geno, and a beautiful touch to this thread.

dream

http://cdbaby.com/cd/eugenepitt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2007 at 12:58pm

*lol*
Toad we both posted the video's at the same time! *LOL* Cool!
definetly woth watching more than once anyway!
((Love it!)))
~~~
George... amazing story and writing!!! I totally see and "hear" how Booker has influenced you as an up and coming "plunker"... Totally amazing story, both Bookers... and Yours!
~~~

Hi Everybody, I called George this afternoon cause it was easier that trading 200 emails back and forth... we ended up talking for 2 and a half hours, swapping funny studio/music stories, and such, and getting filled in on what is going on in music in NOLA in a post Katrina world... as now we all are... Fascinating! More later...

(((George we are all really glad to have YOU join us here.)))
BigSmiles,
Geno

dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2007 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by plunk88 plunk88 wrote:

A Quick Booker Story

Folks wonder about the eye patch....Booker was hooked up with Ringo Starr and played on alot of Ringo's solo stuff.....

Any of you Beatles fans remember Mal Evans?

A hulking man, Evans was the Beatles first and only roadie, and after they stopped touring, was their chief of security.

Booker found a way to confound the office staff at Apple, and kept sucsessfully  requisitioning session checks for sessions he had already been paid for...evidently he embezzled quite a bit of money from the Apple Corps.

So Ringo (or probably somebody at Apple, really, but its a better story if Starkey gave the order) sent Mal out to extract a little justice.

Evans beat the crap out of Booker so thoroughly that as a cherry on top of the beating, kicked him in the eye socket as Booker laid broken on the ground, destroying his eyeball.

Thats how I heard it anyway.

Booker was no Saint, even if his music might have approached saintly heights. He was a junkie New Orleans pain in the ass always looking for a hustle guy too. I never had to deal with him, just listen...so I got the sweet end of the stick, but if you talk to people in New Orleans that lived, worked, or were even light contact with him....a different story emerges.

He was the Character of Characters in a city FULL of Characters.

Great story.  It shows Booker was all too human like the rest of us.  I am a Beatles fan but I don't remember Mal Evans.

BTW - We DO appreciate Geno around here.  SP wouldn't be the same without him!!!  We love him to pieces!!  He spreads good will and smiles all around this Soulful Planet!!

dream
lindzay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lindzay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2007 at 1:53pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mal_Evans

He was a big guy indeed.
dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2007 at 1:59pm
WOW!!!  Thanks, Lindzay.  What an ending he had.  Shot mistakenly and then his ashes lost to boot!!  I don't remember reading about that back in the day, but then I don't remember Evans.

dream
toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2007 at 2:35pm
Plunk88,
Your Booker stories, and Booker....What a trip!
What would the world be like without Characters?? ....real dull !!!
I am glad that you have joined us here at the Soulful Planet Village.
We are all about having fun, and your posts here are much fun to read.
     Geno,
I double posted Booker.... Double the impact !! What a talent!
LOL,
toad
plunk88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plunk88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2007 at 2:54pm
Thanks Toad

There's a wonderful acoustic blues guitarist and songwriter here in NOLA; His name is Spencer Bohern...I actually met him in Brugge, Belgium, as we were playing the same blues festival.

Anyway, when I moved to New Orleans, I hooked up with Spense and he recounted this one, proof of Booker's bi-polar, manic-depressive tendencies:

Spencer and Booker at one time were roomates. Spense came home one night to find a few pieces of living room furniture re-arranged. No biggie, right?

Well on each  night that he arrived home, the furniture was slightly more rearranged, and in sequential amplitude, more radically. By the 7th night the sofa was in the bathtub, the refrigerator was in the bedroom, the toaster was super-glued sideways on the medicine cabinet mirror,  the dining furniture (Tables and chairs) were nailed upside down on the patio roof overhang's ceiling....and through it all, he never said a word....just pretended everything was normal

A Merry Prankster? Nuckin Futz? You be the judge!
Signifying nothing.
plunk88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plunk88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2007 at 3:07pm
I don't remember much from back in the day because I INGESTED WAAAAAY TO MANY DRUGS! But seriously folks, I do remember Evans being shot by the LAPD, but I never heard about the lost ashes, or the lost archives... I still love the Beatles, but not as rabidly as I did in my youth. So I guess I lost track. Thanks for the wickopedia link

Signifying nothing.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2007 at 11:42am

*LOL*

George...

What a great 'visual" image this is...

"the toaster was super-glued sideways on the medicine cabinet mirror"

not too many obvious good reasons come to mind for doing this...
except the stuff from which great album covers are made.

and "...just pretended everything was normal".

*LOL*
Obviously sad, but understandably funny in a twisted, creative, understanding, compassionate sort of way, too.
Great story!

Geno

plunk88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plunk88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2007 at 11:51am
I know you love the usage of LoL, Geno....but the album cover quip, as stated in the mangled english of the guy who just painted my apartment would say: "Meester Geno, you so fahnny. You crack my ass wide open" ...(loosely translated: "You make me laugh my ass off!"...I HOPE!)

Thanks for the laugh...I need 'em!

Best

Geo
Signifying nothing.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2007 at 1:38pm

Ok...
we need some more
NOLA Music!

— NEVILLE BROTHERS - BIG CHIEF —

NEW ORLEANS JAZZ FES '91

— Wade In The Water Tour—

George... if Ya can,
fill us in about some of this
when Ya get a chance, too.

toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2007 at 2:11pm
Clifton Chenier "Im a hog for you"
I wanna jam with this guy. New Orleans Music makes you want to dance !!
toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2007 at 2:17pm
Buckwheat Zydeco "A tribute"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2007 at 2:35pm
Yea, Toad!!!

Great stuff!
and
MIXEY...
look at the car...! Reminds me of your old one at Quad, but in orange instead of the much prefered...
"Baby Powder Blue" *lol* (or was that) "Powder Baby Blue" ?
*lol*

—Buckwheat Zydeco - Hey Baby —
—click here to play—

—click here to play—
toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2007 at 2:51pm
 Tab Benior Doing the cover of Albert Collin's
"Too Many dirty dishes" I love the blues, and this guy can lay em down!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic