Soulful Planet  Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Soul of Six > Music Meccas
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

NEW ORLEANS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NEW ORLEANS
    Posted: Jun 10 2007 at 8:39am
i'LL START, YOU ADD......

KING OLIVER'S BAND

LOUIS "POPS" ARMSTRONG a.k.a "Satchmo"

IRMA THOMAS

BARBARA LYNN

PROFESSOR LONGHAIR

ALLEN TOUSSAINT

TOUSAINT MCCALL

JOHN BAPTISTE

DR. JOHN

AARON NEVILLE

THE MEVILLE BROTHERS

TERRENCE BLANCHARD

THE MARSALIS FAMILY (all of them, lol)

MANY, MANY MORE.......
"Love Is The Answer" ~ Little Jeanie Scott
phillysoulman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phillysoulman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2007 at 5:48am
I want to give major props to Cosimo Matassa, whose J&M studios was home to most of the greatest music ever to come out of the Crescent City.
He turned a little room in back of his family's store into the premier local  recording studio of his day.
I met Cosimo over at Allen Toussant's  Sea Saint Studios back in 1982 and he shared some very insightful studio stories with me.
"Professionals built the Titanic, but amateurs built the Ark"
dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2007 at 10:14am
FATS DOMINO!

http://cdbaby.com/cd/eugenepitt
Soul Sister View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2007 at 5:06am
Good one dream, how could I forget "Fats"! CRS setting in again, lol.

S.S.
dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2007 at 9:16am
You knew a lot more than me, S.S.  So what else is new.  LOL!!

I know he's been mentioned but we must have a photo of the man who put New Orleans on the map.  I think this one captures him well.

toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2007 at 10:39am
Smile Tab Benoit
    Buckwheat Zydako
Down, and nearly out in Detroit......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2007 at 2:59pm
Great pic of "Pops", dream!

Good ones, toad! I forgot about Buckwheat.  :)
dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2007 at 2:41am
Here's some good news for New Orleans musicians.  KUDOS to Harry Connick, Jr. & Branford Marsalis!!!! ClapClap

Village Rises for New Orleans' Musicians
Sunday, August 5, 2007 5:51 PM EDT
The Associated Press
By SHARON COHEN

NEW ORLEANS (AP) — Standing outside his new mint-green house, Fredy Omar hears the rumble of construction trucks, the buzz of drills and the thud of hammers. It's all an overture for something far sweeter — the sound of music.

Maybe it'll come from Omar, himself, rehearsing a soaring Latin love song on the piano in his living room.

function iFrameCallback1() { var oIframe = document.getElementById("iFrame1"); var oDoc = (oIframe.contentWindow || oIframe.contentDocument); if (oDoc.document) { oDoc = oDoc.document; } document.getElementById('ads1').innerHTML = oDoc.getElementById('results').innerHTML; return true; }

Or Michael Harris, his neighbor across the street, plucking his bass, humming a hopeful tune he wrote about unity.

Or Dan Oestreicher, who lives just around the corner, improvising on his saxophone from his porch.

This is not a band, but a community in the making, a community mostly of musicians — a jambalaya of singers, drummers, and trumpet, piano, guitar, harmonica and even washboard players who'll be living along the same streets, practicing and maybe even performing together a few blocks away.

It's the new Musicians' Village, the inspiration of two New Orleans-born luminaries — singer-pianist Harry Connick Jr. and saxophonist Branford Marsalis — who decided in the post-Katrina ferment that something was needed to help musicians stay and play in the city.

Two years after the hurricane, their vision is quickly turning into a rainbow-colored reality. The village — a tidy cluster of about 80 brightly painted homes — is just a small glimmer of hope in a scarred city, but it already has given Omar and others a roof over their heads and a chance to make music once again.

"If I can have another round of New Orleans, give it to me," Omar says, his arms outstretched as if to embrace all of North Roman Street. "I feel at home here."

Omar, a native Honduran, came to New Orleans 15 years ago to sing at a festival and decided to stay. His pulsating Latin rhythms have won him fans in local haunts such as Tipitina's and Cafe Brasil. When Katrina roared in, he fled to California, then to Texas, but was eager to return to a city where a club is always open and a band is always playing.

"As a musician, it's like a kid being in Disneyland," says Omar, wearing an infectious grin and wraparound shades. "Every night of the week, you can go and find music. There's always something new. ... You never know what you're going to get but whatever you get, you know it's going to be good — or different, at least."

Omar is resigned to his storm losses — his treasured musical compositions, masters of his recordings, awards and other possessions ended being dumped on the street, he says, after a long-distance dispute with his landlord. "As a musician, you just create new things," he says with a shrug. "It's an opportunity to start from scratch."

As one of the first new homeowners, Omar has seen a parade of politicians, presidential contenders and other dignitaries make a beeline to the Upper 9th Ward to put on a tool belt, pick up a paint brush and be photographed among the orange, blue, green, pink and purple homes. The village, which is being developed by the local branch of Habitat for Humanity, depends heavily on volunteers.

Omar also was photographed with President Bush and first lady Laura Bush when they visited last summer. The American flag he was given at the time now flutters outside his home.

But what Omar really looks forward to is seeing new neighbors move in, such as Michael Harris, a bass player whose lists among his credits performances or recordings with musicians including Dr. John, Buddy Guy, Art Neville and Leon Russell.

Harris, now 53, is a two-time hurricane survivor. His rented house in the Lower 9th Ward was submerged in Katrina's floodwaters. He was on tour in Brazil as the storm approached and didn't get back in time to salvage anything. Forty years earlier, he was a kid when his family's home was severely damaged by Hurricane Betsy.

It's not the past, though, but the future that's on Harris' mind as he sits on his unfinished porch steps, clutching a wooden cross signed by Habitat volunteers who wanted to bless his gray-frame house.

"This is going to be really, really sweet," he says, a row of identical houses reflected on his oval sunglasses. The chance to be a homeowner with everything new, inside and out, Harris says, instills a communal pride.

"Everybody out here is watching everybody else's back," he explains. "Everybody had a vested interest, so everybody only wants the best."

Harris, who'll share his house with his teenage son, also says being able to perform again is therapeutic. "Music is my tonic," he says. "It's my medication, my release."

He's already anticipating porch jam sessions with Omar and other neighbors. "I just hope there's no noise ordinance," he says with a sly smile.

Like most residents here, Harris helped build his 1,100-square-foot house. Habitat requires 350 hours of sweat equity; those who aren't physically able can do office work or have friends or families help.

Thousands of volunteers, including faith-based groups, college kids and music students from across the country, have journeyed to the village to pound nails, paint and do other work. Professionals handle the electricity, plumbing and sheetrock.

Musicians make up more than 70 percent of the village. But not everyone who wants to can live here. Only 10 percent of the applicants meet the requirement that residents have an income of at least $18,620 a year and have good credit or no credit history.

Those rules have upset musicians who've been rejected, but Habitat officials say they don't want to set up anyone to fail.

Each home has a financial sponsor — a corporation or family — donating $75,000 to build the house. The new owner gets an interest-free loan and makes monthly mortgage payments of about $550. That money is then funneled into building other Habitat homes in the area.

The centerpiece of the village will be the $6 million Ellis Marsalis Music Center, — named after the jazz pianist and patriarch of the Marsalis family — that will include a performance hall and practice rooms. It will also serve as a place for musicians of different ages and genres to mingle.

Jim Pate, head of the New Orleans area branch of Habitat for Humanity, said performers in the Musicians' Village are already sharing stories, offering advice and calling on their neighbors to fill in for each other on gigs. "This sort of symbiotic vision that Harry and Branford had is actually coming together," he says.

Both Connick and Branford Marsalis have helped raise funds.

So far, more than half the homes are occupied, with four generations of musicians. At the senior end is Peter "Chuck" Badie, a bassist who played with legends including Lionel Hampton and Dizzy Gillespie. At age 81, he

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2007 at 4:04am
LOVE that NOLA & It's energetic musicians are on the way back to making NOLA better than  eva!!!

Thanks for the 411, dream.

S.S.
M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2007 at 3:07pm
Wow  Dream!!  That's really something!! 

A musician's village.  Sounds familiar... LOL !!!

I'll definitely have to look into this further.

Thanks for this story.

Mixey
Gene_Leone_Mix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2007 at 6:10pm
i asked my MySpace buddy George Rossi to come in over here and join us.

George is a killer piano player/arranger/producer
with a great 3rd person addytude! *lol* Funny as hell too,
from New Orleans, Louisiana ...
who describes himself as a ... "Hurricane Katrina Evacuee (Life and Livelihood as I knew it pretty much wiped out), recently returned to New Orleans, and trying to reinvent myself once again. ( I seem to do this every decade), and availing myself to the wonders of MySpace to jump start things a little bit, and keep things interesting. Some know me by my alter ego "Little Georgie"
... and can HE play some good old Boogie Woogie... listen, You'll see what I mean...

George Rossi's MySpace page - listen here!

Hopefully George can come join "the rest of us crazies" over here at SoulfulPlanet, too!
~BigSmiles,~
Geno

plunk88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plunk88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2007 at 7:04pm
Cos owns a grocery store on the corner of St.Phillip and Dauphine in the French Quarter (Matassa's Market). Although not there every day, he still pops in from time to time, and if you know your stuff, you can get him to bend your ear off about anything he's ever recorded, down to which mics he used and how they were placed. He is a walking encyclopedia of New Orleans RnB history...eminently approachable, and generous to a T with his time and expertise.....and you can still buy deli meats from him at the same time!
He is a true treasure...if you are ever in NOLA seek him out. You won't regret it.
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
plunk88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plunk88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2007 at 7:09pm
thanks geno, for the gracious introduction....I'm now a newbie, appearing as a lightbulb, plunk88 to you and your friends.
Signifying nothing.
dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2007 at 3:32am
Clap  Hey!!!!  I'm loving "Georgie's Boogie"!!!  You can play that thang!!!

Hello & WELCOME to SP, George!!!!  It's great to have you on board.

Your myspace page is great - love the dog playing the piano.Smile

You have settled in one of my favortie places!!!  I've been to your fair city 3 times and loved every minute of it.  The ambiance in New Orleans is like no other place.  The food, the characters, the MUSIC wafting in the air in the French Quarter.  Nothing like it!!!!

I'm glad Geno persuaded you to join us.  I can already tell I'm going to love your contributions to the forum!!

dream
Sue W. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sue W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2007 at 4:41am
Now this is one of my favorite cities ...totally and utterly. To see what Katrina did, broke my heart.

I have great admiration for Harry Connick Jr. and Wynton Marsalis, with their musician's village. My brother Robert and his magazine Big City Blues have also cut many checks to needy New Orleans musicians through his "Gimme Five" campaign (he'd ask folks for five dollars). They solicit money at every music festival (including the Detroit Jazz Festival") and then give out $1,000 checks for the musicians to either buy new instruments, a new roof, whatever they need.

Irma Thomas is among those who got a check. Check out the Gimme Five campaign at bigcitybluesmag.com ...

I am sipping my cawfee right now out of a Cafe du Monde coffee cup...whenever I'm there I have to stop there for cafe and beignets.
My much-loved friend, the late sportswriter Shelby Strother, introduced me to New Orleans, he and his wife Kim used to take a bunch of us down there every year.

Don't forget the R&B and pop guys from New Orleans. I've seen some of the survivors at the Ponderosa Stomp in New Orleans, which I like almost better than Jazzfest...

Earl King
Snooks Eaglin
Johnny Adams
Katie Webster
Ernie K. Doe (Mother In Law! Saw his widow driving around with her Ernie K Doe life-size doll in the passenger seat...)
Lloyd Price (Stagger Lee!)
Neville Brothers
The Meters
Frankie Ford (Sea Cruise)
Clarence "Frogman" Henry
...more to come

plunk88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plunk88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2007 at 8:09am
jelly roll morten  (The father of Jazz..at least to some)
sidney bechet (Clarinetist Extroadinaire)
baby dods (The Architech of Jazz drumming)
bob french
george french
davell crawford (The current version of James Booker)
sugarboy crawford (Davell's Granpop, the "writer" of IKO IKO)
dave bartholomew( Fats' arranger and producer,"The monkey speaks his mind")
lee dorsey ("Ride your Pony")
smiley lewis ('I hear you Knocking")
Guitar Slim ("Tings that I used to do")
chris kenner (Land of 1000 Dances)
Huey Piano Smith and the Clowns (Rockin Pneumonia, Don't You Just Know It)
shirley and lee
james andrews
Jesse Hill (Ooh, Poo, Pa-Doo)
trombone shorty (troy andrews)
james carroll booker (The black Liberace, Mr. Mystery)
isadore "tuts" washington (Great Influence on Longhair and Booker)
Big Chief Bo Dollis and the Wild Magnolias (Smoke my Peace Pipe)
Big Chief Jolly and the Wild Tchopitoulas (The First unofficial Neville Brothers Record)
The yellow Pochohatas
The Wild Squawtoulas
Big Chief Monk Boudreaux and The Golden Eagles (Great Traditional Indian record, on Rounder)
Marva Wright(The Blues Queen of New Orleans)
Big Al Carson (400 pound Bourbon Street Soul Singer)
Wardell Querzeque (The Creole Beethoven)
Gary Brown
Gerald Tilman
Tim Green (one of the more amazing saxophonists you'll ever hear)
Nick Daniels
Mean Willie Green
Deacon John (
John Boutte
Lillian Boutte
Teedy Boutte
Sammy Berfect
Bonerama
Papa Grows Funk
Johnny Sketch and the Dirty Notes
REBIRTH Brass band
New Birth Brass Band
Treme Brass Band
Hot 8 Brass Brand
The Soul Rebels
Little Queenie Harris
New Orleans Klezmer All Stars
Walter Wolfman Washington
Wille T. Turbinton
Earl Turbinton
The Entire Battiste Family
Snooks Eaglin
Alfred "Uganda"Roberts
CP Love
Jon Cleary
Ivan Neville and Dumphstafunk
Henty Butler
Kermit Ruffins
Tuba Fats
Tom McDermott
Tim McLaughlin
Pete Fountain
Louis Prima
Joe Jones
Zigaboo Modeliste
Cosimo Matassa

Signifying nothing.
s. p. a. t. View Drop Down
AdminTeam
AdminTeam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s. p. a. t. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2007 at 9:15am
WELCOME TO OUR SOULFUL PLANET GEORGE ROSSI!

IT IS GREAT TO HAVE YOU HERE!

SINCERLY,

S. P. A. T.

YOUR
SOULFUL PLANET ADMINISTRATION TEAM
INCLUSIVE OF MYSELF
GEORGE
plunk88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plunk88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2007 at 9:25am

I've been trading New Orleans stories (one of my favorite pastimes) with a journalist from the San Francisco Chronicle and yesterday's topic was the great James Carroll Booker...if you aren't hip to Booker, youtube him and be prepared to be astounded.

Anyway, the piece that follows is a "return of service" in the aforementioned correspondence...a personal reminiscence of how Booker touched me:

BOOKER FROM THE "EDGE"

As a teen aged, aspiring piano player in the great frozen tundra known as Skaneateles, NY, I used to take a 35 mile bus ride into the city of Syracuse every Saturday morning to visit Onondaga Music.   

Onondaga Music was owned by a rather sour faced man by the name of Howard Gurseny, Sr. Completely bald, with glasses that covered half of his gaunt visage and replete with what it seemed to me to be an amazing amount of bushy growth of hair sprouting forth from his ear canals and nostrils, Mr. Gurseny would crouch over the cash register grumbling as he eyeballed me the entire time I would be perusing the racks and hurl expletive laced exhortations at me periodically such as "are you going to buy that fucking record or what? I don't have all fucking day ya know" as if I was buying a friggin' comic book instead possibly the key to my entire future as a musician...but truth be told, I actually liked the yelling. It heightened the urgency of the shopping experience, and part of the fun of my weekly visit was to find new and creative ways to antagonize him into a prolonged harangue of streaming verbal filth. And he had, as I learned much later down the road while in the midst of my piano plunking journey and education, impeccable taste, and one of the finest record stores I would ever have the pleasure of shopping in.    

Onondaga was a one stop-shopping destination for all things musical. The family store sold sheet music, musical instruments, and records. It was the only place in town that where I could find cool platters, especially discs of solo piano. At the time, I was trying to deeply immerse myself in the great boogie-woogie triumvirate of Pete Johnson, Albert Ammons, and Meade Luxe Lewis, because The Rolling Stones had told me to do so (indirectly, of course, through interviews)...ultimately, I figured if I could play like those guys, my eventual gig with Keith Richards would ensue shortly. I had a rich and varied fantasy life at the time.   

So to be able access artists like these in the vast cultural wasteland that is Central NY was a miracle, really.   

As I was pawing through the bins, I came across a record with a series of photographs running down the left side of the cover featuring a wild looking black dude with an eye patch and the title exclaiming "New Orleans Piano Wizard LIVE" or some such nonsense.... I'm embarrassed to admit that at that point in my musical life and bumbling self-education, I bought records more on the basis of what the covers looked like rather than any  internal knowledge of the sounds that may be contained within the confines of the shrink-wrapped sleeve.   

I didn't know fuck all about New Orleans, and New Orleans music, but I did know that there was something oddly compelling about that dude with the eye patch and the winning smile. I couldn't keep my eyes off of him...he practically shouted at me from the cover, "Buy me, dumbass...you NEED this shit, baby, right now...right now!'   

Now understand, my weekly trek to the store was a discipline of high order for me...the bus ride was a drag, and I was a lad of limited funds...my general adolescent mission quest was to amass the greatest record collection in the world, but my paltry allowance would only allow me to amass it at the rate of one record per week.... so even though I didn't have much musical knowledge at the time, it was imperative that I not come home with a dud. So rolling the dice on

Signifying nothing.
plunk88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plunk88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2007 at 9:36am
The Dirty Dozen Brass Band
Signifying nothing.
s. p. a. t. View Drop Down
AdminTeam
AdminTeam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s. p. a. t. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2007 at 9:40am

FANTASTIC!

George
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic