Soulful Planet  Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Soul of Six > Music General > Multi*Platinum Stellar Threads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Music Indies Unite!!! Save Internet Radio

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 16 2008 at 2:33pm

— UPDATE: March 2008 —

— Internet radio firms say royalties limiting choices —

By Hiawatha Bray
Globe Staff / March 14, 2008

"For Barry Cedergren, the decision to stop broadcasting nightclub music over the Internet was a matter of simple arithmetic... "

" ...some Internet stations now drive away listeners to keep their royalty bill down.... "

- Read Full Boston Globe Article Here -

"... One Live365 broadcaster, the Rock.com service of Laguna Hills, Calif., last year broadcast 50 different channels of rock music and attracted 150,000 listeners per month. It has since deliberately reduced the number of channels to 33, eliminating unusual channels like one devoted to reggae music and another that featured only female artists. Monthly listenership is down to 15,000 a month, which lowers the royalty bill. But chief executive Steve Newman said his business still can't make money. "With the new rate structure, it's absolutely impossible," said Newman."

"Even Internet giant AOL, which broadcasts about 200 channels of Internet music, found it couldn't cope with performance royalties. On March 7, AOL said it would hand control of its Internet music operations to CBS Broadcasting Inc., which runs about 150 traditional radio stations."

- Read Full Boston Globe Article Here -

...and Oh, SoundExchange, ummm, all of this was supposed to be good for exactly whom?
Please feel free to refresh our memory. We'll wait.

M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2008 at 6:54am
That's really sad Geno.

Good articles.  Thanks for the update.  WOW

Mixey
Gene_Leone_Mix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2008 at 4:09pm

Upgate: 04/25/2008

Toad just posted an interesting "related" thread here:

Soulful Planet Forums : Soul of Six : The Village : Town Hall      
Topic: Yer gonna love this... (read thread here)

Looks like ...
— Big Label Crap, Take Two, ... here we go again!!!!! —

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2008 at 3:52pm

UPDATE - May 2008

i just received this info via email and via comment on my MySpace page from SaveNetRadio:

~~~~~UPDATE - May 2008~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please Call Your Senator Today to Ask for Their Support of Internet Radio.

It has been a year since an increase in royalty fees for webcasters put the future of Internet radio at risk. Since then, more than 2 million people have called on Congress to save Internet radio, the Internet Radio Equality Act has been cosponsored by 150 Members of Congress, and a hearing was held in the House Small Business Committee. In spite of all this - nothing has changed. We need your help.

On Thursday May 15, Senator Sam Brownback of Kansas will introduce the Internet Radio Equality Act (IREA) as an amendment to the Orphan Works Bill (S. 2913) while it is being considered by the Senate Judiciary Committee . As you know, the IREA would level the playing field for Internet radio webcasters and promote greater parity within the radio industry, while doing away with the discrimination that now forces webcasters to pay fees more than twice as high as their closest competition, cable and satellite radio.

You can help. At least one of your Senators is a Member of the Judiciary Committee and we need their support. Call them today and ask them to support independent artists, small businesses, and the future of Internet radio. You can find their phone number and talking points here: Your Senators Phone Numbers .

Ask your Senator to support the Brownback Amendment to S. 2913.

We need your help to remind Congress that though Internet radio is still on the air and artists are still being paid for their work by webcasters, nothing has been resolved and we need them to act.

On behalf of webcasters, artists and fellow Internet radio listeners everywhere, thank you. Let's finish what we started a year ago.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Let's do this!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2009 at 7:06pm
UPDATE: July 08, 2009

With all of the coverage of the Michael Jackson Memorial activities today,
This article was kinda buried in the news...

The Los Angeles Times is reporting the following:

COMPANY TOWN
Internet radio sites, music industry reach agreement over royalties
Deal with SoundExchange allows large webcasters such as Pandora
to pay lower per-song royalties or a 25% of their total revenue.

By Jim Puzzanghera
July 8, 2009

"Reporting from Washington -- The music won't stop for Internet radio after a group of webcasters struck an agreement with SoundExchange, the organization that collects royalties for musicians and record companies, over payments for playing music online.

The settlement ends a 2 1/2 -year dispute that had threatened to silence the nascent Internet radio business and had forced some people who started online stations as a hobby to quit for fear of accruing expensive royalty bills. ...

(((Note: I HATE when they say... "SoundExchange, the organization that collects royalties for musicians and record companies",,, and leave out the very important 'some' word... like...

"SoundExchange, the organization that collects royalties for" SOME "musicians and" SOME "record companies"... i.e. MUSICIANS AND INDY LABELS NOT SIGNED WITH SOUNDEXCHANGE or in AGREEMENT WITH SOUNDEXCHANGE PRACTICES and FEES will NEVER EVER see the royalties that they are so politely collecting "for" them !!!... (Minor Detail?)

(it continues)...

"The agreement applies only to "pureplay" webcasters -- those that simply play music, often supported by advertisements. Those sites may have very low revenue while the Internet radio model continues to evolve.

Websites that stream music but also sell other products won't find the deal as appealing because they must pay a percentage of all their revenue, Simson said....

"We were able to come up with an interesting, experimental approach," said Simson, whose organization includes major record labels such as Sony BMG Music Entertainment and Warner Music Group as well as independent labels. "We're still in a developing business, so we said, 'Let's try something that gives us a really nice upside if they're successful.' "...

Read full article here

Jeff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2009 at 9:13pm
Crap, crap, and more crap.

I really don't see any TRUE window of opportunity for independant, (mostly) unfunded music webcasters. It makes me sad.

I once wanted to do this kind of thing. In my 20s I was all about radio for a career, back in the 70s. That time - the best for FM radio - came and went.

Internet radio is a great idea. In the real world - just a utopian dream.

Congress doesn't give half a shit about this issue. There is not enough of a groundswell to effectively push back against the well monied establishment. 

This suggests to me that we have but three options:

1) Make a gajillion dollars and devote all of your time and money to fight the establishment until they give up in court.

2) Fly under the radar, doing your own thing with just a handful of listeners... Knowing that you can never grow your show beyond small time.

3) Forget about it all together.

Honestly, I don't know what's to be done about all this, other than to bore-ass your congressional representative's administrative assistant to death with incessant phone messages and emails.

Dead

Jeff
toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2009 at 10:56pm
            This is an article sent to me by a keyboard player that I know...

toad
Down, and nearly out in Detroit......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2009 at 9:26am
Excellent posts and observations, Jeff and Toad and Everybody!

And damn... as you know, for YEARS I have been actively following this nasty, ongoing, big money attempt to squash Internet Radio, while the opponents of Internet Radio Streaming maintain their corrupt, fixed, status quo system of Terrestrial Radio and the Unfair Payola and Dark Payola Practices, the confusing Artist Royalty & Performance Collection nightmares, and related Music Battles of who pays or gets paid for what to the Big Labels... for years... and I have to be honest... I am still confused about the outcome going on here... right now!
Look at this....

Latest News on all of this (click here)

Jeez!!!

for example:

~~~~~
Pandora’s Reprieve: Free Internet Radio Now Comes With A Price
July 8th, 2009
by Brandon Matthews

who writes:
"Yes, it’s true. Webcasters have reached a deal with the recording industry that offers them a temporary reprieve, much like a death row inmate that has been granted a stay of execution. In the end however, the result will be the same in my opinion. Both the inmate and streaming radio sites will cease to exist."... ...

(read Brandon's full article here, and read the Comments. too. Very Interesting!)

Ok...,
Let's face it. The small Internet Radio Stations, (20 to 100 listeners at any given time) are often some of the VERY BEST streams to find and enjoy. They often have that true, dedicated passion for the MUSIC that they are playing, and very often, they are not motivated by the concept of making a profit, whatsoever!

They are doing it for the ART of the MUSIC... for the ART of the MUSICIANSHIP... for The ART of Skillful, Talented DJ'ING and The ART of GREAT BROADCASTING (or NARROWCASTING)... for the Art of getting REAL MUSIC TALENT exposed to those LISTENERS who genuinely want to LISTEN to what is being presented, and often, those who want to help support the ARTISTs that create MUSIC that THEY, as LISTENERS, actually WANT to hear... even if this very MUSIC and PERFORMANCE might be considered obscure to the general mainstream masses.

There is a healthy symbiosis here... and obviously the big lobby money "SoundExchange/RIAA good old boys club members" want to do everything possible to kill it off... and make sure that YOU NEVER hear anything BUT what THEY are offering... and always... for cost of THEIR FEE.

If this doesn't still smell like stinky rotting fish.... well then, what does?

The whole system is massively flawed, and built upon a crumbling foundation in an earthquake zone! JEEZ!

AND In still looking for more clarification here,,, I found this. (note the asterisk*):

~~~~~
— Web Radio Royalties Resolved* —
— Web Radio Royalties Resolved* — (click here)

.... in this post, the author brings up an excellent & obvious point:

"...Well, if songwriters deserve a check for the use of their work, why not performers too? Should our copyright laws mandate some compensation to Tom Waits for his music and lyrics to "Jersey Girl,", but none to Bruce Springsteen for his performance of the song?"

"To that end, Congress is debating a bill called the Performance Rights Act that would levy performance royalties on regular AM and FM broadcasters. But those rates would still run far less than Webcasters' fees."

"There's a simple and fair way out of this, and that's to standardize royalties--to composers and performers alike--on broadcast music outlets, whether they use a satellite, the public airwaves or an Internet connection to reach your ears. As an added benefit, this royalty structure wouldn't have to resemble the tax code."

But is that far too logical a solution for Congress?"...

~~~~~~~

What IS the SOLUTION here?

~Geno

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2009 at 11:03am
And one more for the department of
Stinky Fish Monopoly...
really, does this sound like a fair and leveled playing field
from "SoundExtort' ...errr 'SoundExchange'?

— ROYALTY LOGIC OBJECTS TO PROPOSED RULEMAKING STRENGTHENING SOUNDEXCHANGE MONOPOLY (Read Article Here) —

""...Our affiliated performers and copyright owners have designated us, and not SoundExchange to ensure their royalties are properly collected from digital music services. This rulemaking would give SoundExchange the sole right to receive records of use from digital music services. They would require us to hunt for subtle patterns in the records of tens of millions of performances across hundreds of digital music services while sitting in the offices of SoundExchange. Meanwhile, we've invested twenty years in creating very sophisticated royalty accounting systems, including highly refined matching algorithms and what is probably the world's largest database of musical rights ownership, Songdexฎ, which we would have no way to utilize in these examinations. The CRB's proposed rules amount to an archaic analog solution to a modern digital world. It just won't work." ... ... ...
~~~~~

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2009 at 2:18pm
And TOAD!!!!

The article that You posted is dead on the Money!!!
{Terrestrial} Radio Not Playing Artists.. ...
"Recording artists claim their music is being boycotted over royalties"

I read it yesterday and was going to post it...
(Toad, Thank You for getting it up here!)

This part especially got me:

".......As the Facebook post states, "According to the musicFIRST filing [with the FCC], one major radio group dropped a top selling artist's record after he spoke in support of performance rights legislation.

... so Artists are not allowed to have opinions?

"...The program director of a Florida radio station declined to add an artist's recordings to his station's playlist because the artist is listed as a member of the musicFIRST Coalition...."

... so Artists are not allowed to be a member of something that they believe in?

"...Another director of programming told a representative of two prominent artists that the artist's support for the Performance Rights Act would have a 'chilling effect' on their relationship. And a Delaware radio station boycotted all artists affiliated with musicFIRST for an entire month."

... so Artists are required to belong to only certain groups to obtain airplay?

"...The Associated Press is among those press organizations seeking the identities of the artists mentioned in the musicFIRST filing,......"

Whaaaa? "Papers Please".... Are we still in America?   
And please remind me again... who owns the public airwaves of Terrestrial Radio?

~~~~~
My Thoughts here:

OK, WHY NOT BE SEEKING THE IDENTITIES of the RADIO STATIONS SUSPECTED OF DOING THIS??????????????

Would that not be a much better place to first investigate????

AND!

Isn't this all a hidden form of Inverse Payola & Pay per Play?

Gee........ I thought that "PAYOLA" was illegal.

Hmmmmm...... Does Any of THIS Smell Fishy? ... or do I smell a big money NAB Lobby hard at work along with an RIAA Lobby?

~~~~~
toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2009 at 6:56pm
             In the "Old days" we had AM radio, and later
 TV. Most old radio stations were regionally limited
 by the range and watts of their signal. There were only
 a few with big watts and range. Local artists had a chance to be heard on these small stations, though
 their exposure was limited by the stations playing
 their material.
        TV was limited to just three major networks.
  Most early artists never saw any time on network
 TV.
         The record companies were able to expand
 a artists exposure to the masses, but back then
 it was starting to get quite corrupt with pay-ola
 and shady marketing ventures.
     Artists back in the day were always screwed out
 of the song writing, and publishing monies due them
 from bad contracts that were offered by the record
 companies, and by crooked managers.
         Nothing has changed much now. The vultures
 are still in the business of ripping people off, but
 the scope and depth has changed quite a bit.
      The vultures are now at war with each other to
 see who will screw the artists and the small radio
 stations out of a legit living.
     Has anything changed much?.....Not really..
 It's like the gangster gangs of the prohibition era,
 farting around with turf wars.

toad
Down, and nearly out in Detroit......
Jeff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2009 at 10:15pm

It's incredible to me that ONE COMPANY - SoundExchange - is actually on the brink of getting LEGISLATION PASSED that will make them THE SOLE CONTROLLER OF ALL ROYALTY PAYMENTS - with no restraints!

... THIS IS UNCONSTITUTIONAL!  PERIOD!

THIS FLIES IN THE FACE OF ALL KNOWN ANTI-TRUST STATUTES! WTF???

This is a very serious moment for all  music lovers.

Many future opportunities and entrepeneurial possibilities are in jeopardy RIGHT NOW ....

and 50% of the House Of Representatives DOESN'T CARE ABOUT THIS ISSUE. FACT!

WHY DO WE ELECT THESE ASSHOLES AND THEN IGNORE THEM? ARE WE STUPID?

Jeff
s. p. a. t. View Drop Down
AdminTeam
AdminTeam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s. p. a. t. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2009 at 3:15am
We're placing this tread in M*PS, because it is an important and ongoing issue;

Thank you for contributing so passionately!

Mixey &
Your Soulful Planet Administration Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2012 at 10:01am
I had to come back here for reference purposes...
...and now, here it is 2012...
and the latest fight is over the Internet is
SOPA...

is it a good thing...

is it a bad thing...

What will SOPA do with respect to PodCasts, Streaming, YouTube, Royalties, Free speech... Access... Internet Life as we know it... etc...

Piracy sucks... but I really wish the government would just focus and work this hard on getting royalties owed to the Artists, Producers, Writers, Publishers, Musicians, Performers, Presenters, Content Providers, etc... instead of focusing on "special interest" Zip Ban Delete as the only option.

I'll keep dreaming.

(click to read CNN - SOPA full atricle here)

Oh and Happy 2012...

~Gene

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 9:10pm
Update December 2012:

Wow, lots of ground covered in these threads over the years, from many angles of perspective ... and it's all still here.

Well...

Terrestrial Radio is in near disaster mode as far as "Music" & "On-Air Talent" is concerned... (Thank You Very Much, Bain Capital/Clear Channel, etc.), and the outlook for saving it all is looking more & more like those abandoned factories in the mid-west...

And "Internet Radio" (US based) has gone through lots of mutations, and many Internet radio stations have gone by the way side, or moved their servers to Europe to stay non-profit on the net... etc...

and so now, the primary place that people choose to look for music, has become, (who would have guessed that back in 2005?)
YouTube.

We all know this.

Lets back up to 2005 when YouTube got started (click here),

and even then, The Major Labels were getting caught left and right with "Payola" and "Pay To Play" of every flavor... in Terrestrial Radio, and trying to suffocate the Indie competition of Internet Radio...
((( ~ Payola $$$ - The Cancer of American Music & Radio Broadcasting ~ (Click HERE) )))

Well anyway, it's now December 2012... if we play "follow the Major Label Payola Money Stream"...
well... Guess what happened today?!!!

... keep reading...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 9:19pm
Yes!

Hats off to YouTube for finally doing this,
that... needed to be done!

— YouTube cancels billions of video views after finding they had been 'faked' - but were hackers working for the music industry? —

"...Major record labels stripped of more than two billion video views. Biggest hit taken by Universal,
which alone lost more than one billion..."

Caught Red Handed !!!

Major record labels stripped of more than two billion video views (Full DailyMail Story, Here)

(((Awesome! It is about freakin' time!
Level the playing field in Music,
and keep it REAL!))) ~Geno

U N R E A L !!! What an Awesome story. Let's face it theft is theft, payola is payola and crime is crime, no matter how many floors of lawyers they own to call it something else, while they rip off the Music Artists as standard daily operating procedure, while suffocating Indie Artists with a tilted playing field.

+++ BIG UPS to YouTube for lowering the boom on the cheaters! +++

Should be interesting to see where this all goes, Ya think?

p.s: Some great Comments & Thoughts & Cross Links
about all of this in: FB-PRC - (Click Here)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic