Soulful Planet  Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Soul of Six > The Village
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Justice For Trayvon Martin... God Bless him & RIP
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Justice For Trayvon Martin... God Bless him & RIP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Justice For Trayvon Martin... God Bless him & RIP
    Posted: Mar 23 2012 at 12:06am
God Bless this young man and his family!        

Their beautiful, 17 year old son, Trayvon Martin, an innocent young black teen, was gunned down and killed, just walking home. The shooter has not been arrested. The outcry happened. It's all over the news.

Story here:
The Trayvon Martin Tragedy

This is the murderer... George Zimmerman.

He called 911, like he was afraid of Trayvon, who wasn't doing anything wrong. While still on the phone with 911, this murderer went after the teen and shot him. You can hear Treyvon dying and crying for help on a recording of a neighbor's call to 911 for help. IT'S HEARTBREAKING!

Al Sharpton has been working tirelessly with outrage to find some justice for his family, and all the families across this country, who have experienced this kind of injustice every day.

Yesterday, there was a massive march for justice in Sanford, FL, calling to remove the prejudiced head of the law enforcement team in Florida, who is protecting the shooter, instead of doing his job. The asshole stepped down, "temporarily".

If I hadn't been taking care of my mother, I would have flown to Florida for this march to show my support. I have a whole lot to say, and a voice to say it with; and I will continue to follow this story. It's a story that I hope will continue to travel through every town in this country.

Racial profiling is what my son Travis went though, a horrible injustice that he shared with so many others in this country. Our neighbors called the police on my son because he was sitting on the front lawn of our own home, listening to music, with his headphones on... They called the police on him for walking down our street... and for window shopping just like anyone else in our town.

We went into my bank one afternoon, and my son, who was wearing a hoodie at the time... something almost every kid wears around here, was harassed and asked to leave. The bank people didn't know he was my son, because I'm white and Travis was 1/2 black. I witnessed it, and I admonished the bank people. Their defense was that my son was wearing a hoodie, and it was around Christmas time.

Travis was pulled over at gunpoint, while driving a few blocks from our home. He didn't look in the least all like the black male they were looking for, not even the same skin tone, age, or hair, but he was thrown to the ground and handcuffed anyway, while our neighbors watched.

Travis was harassed when he went to vote. I was right there. Again, they didn't know he was my son... and again there was a battle to be fought.

The battles I fought for my son only made him realize he needed someone else to make it all OK for him to live. Nobody should ever have to go through life feeling like that.

Trayvon Martin was wearing a hoodie. That's the argument of the prejudiced police in Florida, where the shooting happened. They said that people wearing hoodies can't be trusted. What they meant was, that black people are allowed to be shot and killed for no reason.

How about these hoodies? I wonder how many of these guys were shot and killed... EVER?

It's close to the 3rd anniversary of my son's death, and I say to you Trayvon Martin, up in heaven... I didn't know you but I love you.

Rest In Peace Trayvon. Your life was not in vain. You saved your father when you were 9 years old. You've honored my son and my family, by what you've gone through, and what is happening in this country now, because of you.

I Love You Always... and I know there will be justice for you and for my son, because of you.

From
Travis's Mom & Grandmother

& Travis... if he had lived to thank you.
Jeff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2012 at 10:27am

The more things change the more they stay the same.

Racism is alive and well in the US. Everywhere. It continues to be taught,
and tolerated. It remains especially bad to this day in the south; you
don't have to go very far to hear and see racist attitudes displayed.
Even by so-called "good, upstanding Christian folks." When hate is
taught at an early age and reinforced regularly, it sticks.

Thankfully - the community rallied, rose up and pushed back hard.
Hard enough to end-run the shockingly indifferent Sanford PD and get
them pulled off the case. Hopefully the fresh FBI and Florida Justice Dept.
investigation that has just begun will verify what everybody else with
half a grain of sense already understands; that this was a blatant hate
crime, committed by a racist and policeman-wanna-be.

Seems obvious to me that Zimmerman won't legally be able to hide
behind Florida's "Stand Your Ground" statute because the police dispatch
told Zimmerman to stand down - a directive that Zimmerman ignored.
Then there are the eyewitnesses whose accounts will further damage
Zimmerman's case. I think - hope - that the noose will quickly tighten
around Zimmerman's neck. In my opinion this guy deserves to fry.

I'm totally okay with the death penalty when it comes to punishing
a murderer in a clear cut hate crime. Which I think this is, and should
ultimately be proven to be. It's hard to rehabilitate a hard core racist.
I'd rather be rid of these scum than have my tax dollars spent providing
them with a bed, a tv and three squares a day.

Jeff
M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2012 at 11:53am
I've thought about the death penalty in this case too Jeff.

I'm not so sure the death penalty helps anyone, even in terms of tax dollars. I think the cost to society is more, when we use cruel methods period, even against the least deserving of compassion.

I don't think it's possible to rehabilitate a sex offender... but I do think it's possible to rehabilitate a hardcore racist. I don't think there's much chance for it to happen in prison, however. There's horrible, hardcore racial division in prisons. I don't know why they allow this to occur. All it does is keep the peace for the short run, and creates hell in the long run.

Maybe what should happen is that racial hate groups should be forced into a situation of togetherness against the object groups of their hate in a way where they will endure a catastrophic event if they don't develop an ability to communicate and trust each other.   

I have no clue what that might entail. Too bad we can't predict earthquakes, like they're trying to do in Geno's thread on natural disasters. We could ship them all to an earthquake, volcano or tsunami zone at an appropriate time.

Mixey
M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2012 at 12:12pm
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Listen to this ABSOLUTE ASSHOLE!!! Geraldo Rivera says that Trayvon Martin's wearing of a hoodie "allowed" that "nutty" Zimmerman to shoot him. He says the hoodie was as responsible for Trayvon's death as Zimmerman is.

Can you believe this? He's basically saying that all people of color, who wear hoodies, are associated with gangsta behavior period, so the responsibility is on the kid or his family to have not allowed him to wear this COMMONLY WORN jacket. Trayvon wasn't wearing a ski mask for God's sake!!!

WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE!!!

Mixey
M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2012 at 12:20pm
Maybe if our image of the face of Jesus was a little more realistically DARK complected in addition to the hoodie, we'd get it better?

As I've said in the past... if Jesus moved next door, some neighborhood "Christian" would either shoot him, or have him arrested.

Mixey
Gene_Leone_Mix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2012 at 4:39pm

Hi Mixey, Jeff and Everybody.

Unbelievable what has taken place here.
A major humanity FAIL, once again,
smeared and blurred within the "grey areas" of laws passed
that protect the "some" and not the "all".

And when this happens... people get hurt... and or killed.

It pretty clearly appears that the shooter was an over zealous wannabe cop that was not mentally fit to actually be a level headed, fair thinking policeman,
...a shooter who was in posession of a lethal, deadly force weapon, who happened to legally own and carry a gun, anyway.
Unbelievable!

––••––
I just read this article which lists 20 points (worth reading) about what happened there in Florida.

— 20 Things You Need to Know About the Tragic Killing of Trayvon Martin —
March 20, 2012 by By Brad Johnson
"The Department of Justice, the FBI and the U.S. Attorney announced they were launching "a thorough and independent review" of the shooting -- will there be justice?"

20 points, including...

"18. Zimmerman was not a member of a registered Neighborhood Watch group. Zimmerman also violated basic Neighborhood Watch guidelines by carrying a weapon. [ABC News]

19. Sanford police chief Bill Lee planned to wrap up the case last Monday without bringing any charges, because, he said, “there is no evidence to dispute the shooter’s claim of self-defense,” which is a sufficient claim under the “Stand Your Ground” law. [Miami Herald]

20. In the first five years “Stand Your Ground” was in effect, justifiable homicides tripled, and the law was a factor in at least 93 cases involving 65 deaths. ... ... ..."

(((20 points Full article + Comments at the bottom from www.alternet.org/ - click here)))

(with 389+ COMMENTS) worth reading!)

––••––

I'm feeling, more and more lately, that finding any genuine, real goodness in humanity, or finding any genuine, real goodness that might have been left unused in the human species... also might have somehow ...all been used up.

Over time, the human race makes some progress, and before you know what happend, racial differences, ethnic divides, politics, religion, greed, and individual suppression and personal invalidation then sinks all of us humans right back to the lowest common denominator of the genetic cesspool.
Sad. VERY sad.

~Geno

––••––

p.s: Mixey, great post, and excellent point about Jesus being 'different' and wearing the 'hoodie'... and yet, some humans felt it necessary to kill him, too.
p.s.s: Jeff, excellent observations!

also... as Mixey said... "...if they don't develop an ability to communicate and trust each other." ... makes me wonder...
Has humanity learned anything, in all of this time?

M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2012 at 7:48pm
Geno...

Your second link goes to the same 20 points. I'm interested to read your other story. Could you re-post the other link?

Thank you for your thoughts Jeff & Geno.

It's very frustrating to live in a world where RIGHTNESS seem to be more valued than HAPPINESS.

People don't want to confront the victimization of others, so they madly go about trying to dig up reasons for why the victim is WRONG.

The SPIN zone will take this Trayvon Martin case and make that kid wrong for just walking towards home in some kind of way.

In this case though, the only thing they think they can sink their teeth into is that he was wearing a hoodie and he was walking in the rain.

The outcry is that Trayvon Martin is EVERYBODY'S son. I feel this outcry, and I support it, because black or white, or whatever... we all have differences... we all might find ourselves in an environment where we're in danger for no justifiable reason.

The outcry here, as you pointed out well Geno... is about INVALIDATION!

Nobody should be invalidated, unless they themselves are on a mission to invalidate. If confronted with someone who's on a mission to invalidate... then speaking out, or mentally uncreating them is a good solution. If that person has a gun, however... and "invalidates" another by shooting them, then the police have a duty to all of us, to arrest that shooter. If they don't, then the police are invalidating ALL of us!

We have to get the police in this country in line. There's so much prejudice in the very group that we've hired to protect and serve us. They've turned into a we protect our own cult... and they DEFINITELY have it in for minorities. That kind of prejudice should not be tolerated. Not all police are this way... but WAY too many. There should be a conduct investigation of all of the top chiefs across the whole country, IMO.

Mixey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2012 at 10:20pm
Mixey...

I Updated the link above to the "Comments" in that article:

and great point about...

"...he was wearing a hoodie and he was walking in the rain."

If anybody is walking back from the store, and it starts to rain in Florida, and if they don't happen to have a hoodie, or an umbrella, or a raincoat with a hood at that moment, indeed... they are probably are wishing that they did.

Sadly, this overzealous cop-wannabe, ex-neigborhood watch member who was rejected by his own 'neigborhood watch group' for not following rules about - no weapons! ...
was probably on a personal mission, and that personal misson was NOT about protecting his neighbors.

Clearly, this looks to be more a personal mission of hunting for the right opportunity to "happen" in front of him, so that he could take the law into his own hands and use his personal firearm to shoot one of those...
"guys" that, as he stated in the 911 call, ... "always get away."

Very surprising that he is not under arrest at this moment.

M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2012 at 7:24am
I can't believe he's not under arrest now!!!!!!!

A kid is dead. Zimmerman did it. There are witnesses. There's a 911 tape of it. It wasn't self defense. Zimmerman ran after Trayvon.

What else does one need to make and arrest? That's a real question. What DOES one need to make an arrest in a murder investigation?

Thanks for fixing the 2nd link Geno. I'm reading it now.

Mixey
M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2012 at 7:38am
OMG Geno!!!!

On your second link the comments are crazy !!! They're going on in a debate about whether Zimmerman is Jewish or not in addition to being Hispanic, and if Jews are white or not, and considering that Zimmerman might not be white, it wouldn't be a hate crime if Zimmerman is a person of color too, etc etc etc!!! Yeah that's a great defense. If a black man murders another black man, it can't be a hate crime?????

Also... note that a few of the comments have been removed from their site, even though the "like button" had been hit on a number of them as well. I would have wanted to know the FULL story of what these people were thinking... good or not so good.

Mixey
Jeff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2012 at 4:34am

Mixey,

Ordinarily I'd be inclined to go on about this case some more... to try to
find some meaningful nuance, or an interesting slant to the story that's
worthy of elaboration. My head tells me there's nothing more to deconstruct.
My prior post says everything that I needed to say. People suck and do
cruel, sick things to each other. Too many cops in Florida and elsewhere
are racist and are willing to let a cold blooded killer like George Zimmerman
go about his business. And most hard core racists cannot be rehabilitated
because the antagonists that created their racist attitudes in the first
place remain everywhere, continuing to influence and reinforce that
racism. IMO, it would take an extraordinary individual, and an extraordinary
set of circumstances to "cure" a hard-core racist. In the absence of that
I don't see it happening. But that's just me. I'm wrong about a lot of things
and I hope this is one of them.

I'm not even interested in looking at Geno's link that you referenced; it sounds
like a bunch of people weighing in with typically idiotic notions. The more you
hear people talk the harder it is to see how we're "evolving" as a species...
I fear for the future my daughters are inheriting.

I'm just hoping that the investigation now underway brings to light the
truth of what happened, and that the truly guilty ones are punished.

Jeff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2012 at 8:01am
Hi Jeff... Hi Mixey... good points, as always!

When I first posted that link, the "comments" were more calm, but still beyond wacky... and I'm sure that by now they have totally degenerated into total cesspool garbage.

This really begs the question.

As humans... are we, as a species, seriously devolving (degenerating or deteriorating gradually)?

Lately, it seems that what once might have felt like ebb and flow of human progress - evolve/devolve/evolve - has now been placed on the permanent downhill devolve fasttrack slide.

I would imagine that human progress would be, at the very least be something like:
(two steps forward, one step backward, repeat loop).
Progress would still take place.

It sure does not feel like that right now, today.

And as you expressed well, I too pity our kids who are stuck with inheriting the future of this terribly twisted, unfair world. What a mess!

~Geno

Jeff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2012 at 9:23am

The ignorance ... the bad behavior ... the intolerance ... the greed ...
the way people seem to be backsliding politically and professionally ...
it's shocking. Actually, it's revolting. I couldn't have a lower opinion of most people. 

Dead

Jeff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2012 at 1:26pm
Yes... Jeff, that's what I'm refering to...

"The ignorance ... the bad behavior ... the intolerance ... the greed ..."

And even in seemingly peaceful human family "group situations", it still shows up.

This example might be a bit off topic,
but just look at what happened here,

over...

freakin' Easter Eggs!!!???!!!
––••––

Aggressive parents force egg hunt cancellation
By P. SOLOMON BANDA, Associated Press – 31 minutes ago
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (AP)
— An annual Easter egg hunt attended by hundreds of children has been canceled because of misbehavior last year. Not by the kids, but by the grown-ups.

Too many parents determined to see their children get an egg jumped a rope marking the boundaries of the children-only hunt at Bancroft Park last year. The hunt was over in seconds, to the consternation of eggless tots and the rules-abiding parents.

Organizers say the hunt in Old Colorado City has gotten too big for the hundreds of children and parents now attending. They canceled this year.
Last April's egg hunt, sponsored by the Old Colorado City Association, experienced a few technical difficulties, said Mazie Baalman, owner of Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory and sponsor of the event.

There was no place to hide the plastic eggs, which were filled with donated candy or coupons redeemable at nearby businesses. So thousands of eggs were put in plain view on the grass. A bullhorn to start the event malfunctioned, so Baalman, master of ceremonies, used a public address system that was hard to hear.

"So everybody thinks you said 'Go,' and everybody goes, and it's over in seconds," Baalman said. "If one parent gets in there, other parents say, 'If one can get in, we all can get in,' and everybody goes."

Parenting observers cite the cancellation as a prime example of so-called "helicopter parents" — those who hover over their children and are involved in every aspect of their children's lives — to ensure that they don't fail, even at an Easter egg hunt.
"They couldn't resist getting over the rope to help their kids," ... ..."
Read full Associated Press Story, Continued HERE

––••––

Very interesting. Think about this Easter thing ...

Easter - What is now a totally invented, corporate "holiday" created to market to and sell junk candy to/for kids,
on a day that was hi-jacked from religious groups and their ceremonial rememberances of a great man, who once walked the face of the earth 2000+ years ago, wearing a hoodie, who was tortured and murdered by his fellow humans for his beliefs in looking at things differently than his greedy killers did.

...and this greed thing even happens today over the bizarre, twisted concept of bunnies delivering Easter Eggs? Really?

Seriously, is it time to update the old, greedy, nasty

"It's a dog eat dog world"
descriptive to
"It's now a human eat human world"?

In twenty years, will this same headline look like:

- Aggressive parents bearing arms, standing their ground, force egg hunt cancellation after shooting each other's kids -

Wow... it really is a World, isn't it.

~Geno
––••––

Jeff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2012 at 6:21pm

Genoooo....  LOLLOLLOL

Stop it.... you're deepening my psychosis...  DeadClapLOLDeadClapLOL

Jeff
s. p. a. t. View Drop Down
AdminTeam
AdminTeam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s. p. a. t. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2012 at 8:07pm
Jeff... you have a long way to go before you'd be as psychotic as those egg hunters.

Geno... That's very good example of another page in the book of crappy human behavior... what parents won't do to make their kids "winners". What's with this "winning" stuff? Parents, competing like that over Easter eggs... and yes... how about the obvious religious connection and the whole observance of Easter to begin with! What happened to that sentiment?

Jeff... I totally agree with what you wrote here:
"IMO, it would take an extraordinary individual, and an extraordinary set of circumstances to "cure" a hard-core racist." - Jeff

I don't think it's impossible to find those extraordinary set of CONTINUING circumstances, or the extraordinary individual to accomplish it; but it may never happen ever, or at least in our lifetimes. We might blow ourselves up as a species first. Maybe that's the key... We won't be able to work together as one, until we're all able to nuke the world at any moment.

In a more peaceful, grassroots way, I hope that because of this young man's death, maybe people will come forth and add their stories, and demand their justice as well, and maybe a message of better will, will occur. There is strength in numbers for good or evil. I'm hoping that more good will come out of this, but who knows. Is it time to give everybody a nuke?

Mixey
S. P. A. T.
Jeff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2012 at 4:58am

Mixey... most days I feel psychotic enough, believe me. Wacko  I've spent decades
suppressing bad memories and the knowledge of how screwed up I've been on
the inside. I've just reached the point where I can't take any more ... my need
to figure it out and start getting back on track is finally greater than my need
to run from myself. I'm too old and tired for my own shit anymore.

Anyway, this whole process makes it easy for me to understand how
people are lost in their own dysfunction and cannot even recognize the symptoms.
In the case of racists, it may be possible in theory to be cured of racist habits
and beliefs, I'll grant you that. In reality however, there are so many obstacles
in the way of rehabilitation and self-discovery that (statistically) I doubt this
could happen but a few times out of thousands of instances. It is my view
that most folks aren't up to the challenge of doing the hard, complicated work
of critically examining their life, making informed assessments, and then
making big changes.

Zimmerman's racist, paranoid attitude is what got Martin killed. He did not
have any sympathy for that young man; he had fear and distrust in his
head and his heart, and that is what he showed to Trayvon. He did not address
Trayvon respectfully - he did not extend the kind of treatment that he,
Zimmerman would surely have liked to be shown by a stranger. Zimmerman
had already convicted Martin of some crime in his mind, and was essentially
acting as judge and jury on that sidewalk. What the hell did he expect in return?..
It's ludicrous to think there could have been any other outcome than a
negative confrontation. And I am convinced that Zimmerman doesn't even
recognize that HE caused all this.

Jeff
M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2012 at 10:19pm
Jeff... I think I understand what you're feeling; but if I don't anyway. I've gone through more painful self analysis than I care to go into. It's been a necessary part of who I am, since I can remember; but I think that people who think they have it all wired, and don't go through this self talk and self brutality, are the ones who are more likely really nuts, and who love to cause us to continually question ourselves; but I question that as well.

In terms of Zimmerman, Jeff... I too am definitely convinced there's a pathological element to him. I agree with you that it's probable that he might not even know he has any fault in the shooting. He could actually be torn up inside with feelings of remorse, thinking he "was forced" to do it, and not seeing at all in that moment, that HE CAUSED this!    

In terms of the movement for justice for Trayvon and all of us, there will be no big win in the long run, unless the definition of what racism really is, is focused on.

Simply being outraged about racism, and pointing to this shooting being caused by racism, doesn't communicate enough. The term racism becomes more of a label and part of a mantra, instead of being about a human condition. Unless the condition is addressed more than the label, we're not going to move forward enough. Both Martin and Zimmerman need to be addressed as a whole dynamic in order to effect a lasting change.

Zimmerman is a guy in his 20's, whose life is over no matter what happens from this point on. What could have saved this guy from his psychosis? That has to be addressed as much as the senseless, and coldheartedness of his actions.

It's impossible for people, regardless of the measure of our outrage over the loss of Trayvon, to not also realize that there's a sick young man, who behaved so badly that all of us continue to be in peril around others like him, unless we are better able to figure out the how, when and why of what happened to him as well. Accusing Zimmerman and punishing him isn't enough, is what I'm saying.

If more people could be saved from their crazy judgement, then innocent people like Trayvon, would become more able to live normally in freedom. I'd like to see THAT kind of justice served for Trayvon and for my son, and for everyone's sons and daughters.

What do you do with a policeman who fears for his life, when in the presence of a dark complected kid? That person needs to be in a different line of work, obviously... but then what would he/she do anyway? That judgement would be there, ready to inflict harm on innocent people regardless, and he/she could end up responding just like Zimmerman did.

I agree with your sense of the statistics regarding racism Jeff. That's the way it is at this juncture, unfortunately. We have not come to a workable way to remove this from our society. Genetics will take care of some of racism as we know it now, because dark is a dominant trait. In our not so distant future, everyone in the world will look more similar... dark skin, dark, almond shaped eyes, dark, wavy hair. Racism as we know it, will be replaced by something else, just as it is in places where physical characteristics are not as varied.

Unless we think past the issues of skin color now... and address the larger issue, which is about what cues we humans depend on to convince ourselves that we're safe in the presence of each other, there will always be distrust and poor judgement between people. Differences in Race... Religion... Language... Culture... make a lot of people feel off balance and less willing to feel able to communicate our needs with each other.

Education and more communication is necessary to close the gaps between us more, but there also has to be a common condition of our basics being met, so that concerns over the desperation in each other becomes more of a non issue. People are more likely to assume that others are desperate, when they think that "those other people" don't have their basics covered... and that's why, as you said Geno, "It's now a human eat human world." It's STILL a human eat human world. It shouldn't have to be... and that's where the Zimmerman effect, if you will, comes in. As a society, we have damaged individuals, who can't take responsibility, because we've not taken responsibility as a society. There's no reason on this earth why we can't cover everyone's basic needs... thereby removing a lot of desperation and criminally mistaken distrust.

Zimmerman had the mindset that Trayvon was one of "those other people". He could be heard saying on the 911 tape... "These guys always get away"... or something like that. Generalizations... horrible generalizations!

If we promoted a generalization of good will and help for each other, I think our human condition would improve significantly.

Actions based on what we really know, should be personally trusted... not actions based on what we assume that we know. From what I've read and heard so far in this case, Zimmerman acted upon what he thought he knew... not what he really knew. Racists are thinkers, not knowers.

THINKING and KNOWING... are 2 very different things. Building our lives upon a foundation of knowing, creates a strong civilization. Building our lives upon a foundation of thinking, creates a civilization that will eventually crumble.

Mixey    
Jeff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2012 at 6:19am

Here's the best antidote for racism: parents that teach their kids from the get-go
that racism is horrible, destructive, and only tears people apart. Parents that
demonstrate this in their words AND actions... parents that welcome all their
childrens' friends into the house, regardless of their race and make them feel
respected and appreciated. Maggie and I have done this with our girls and
our home became the fun hangout for all their friends... white, asian, and black.
Those kids of color felt the fun and the love from us over the years and
hopefully they'll remember that about us... two white adults who didn't give a
damn what color they were. That's how you fight racism.

When racist attitudes are not allowed to propogate in the home they have a
much poorer chance of developing later in life.

Jeff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2012 at 9:35am
Hi Mixey & Jeff.

Wow, Mixey, this is a very powerful thought here,
one that really sums up the 'stuff' of what happens
with pre-concieved, predudicial notions,
...that moment when one person "assumes" stuff, and jumps to a fixed conclusion about another person's nature and reality... and then reacts badly to it, as if threatened...

"Building our lives upon a foundation of knowing, creates a strong civilization. Building our lives upon a foundation of thinking, creates a civilization that will eventually crumble - Mixey"

and, Jeff, with this view as a majority norm of good, human behavior, things could easily change for the better in a relatively short amount of time...

"When racist attitudes are not allowed to propogate in the home they have a much poorer chance of developing later in life.- Jeff"

Both statements, very well said. Excellent posts.
~Geno

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic