Soulful Planet  Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Soul of Six > Feeling The View > Performing Arts
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

JIMMY SCOTT the ACTOR

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: JIMMY SCOTT the ACTOR
    Posted: Jan 10 2009 at 4:57pm
When Ethan Hawke, Quenton Tarrentino, Uma Thurman, Natasha Richardson, Joe Pesci & Marisa Tome all came to see Jimmy at the same time one night at 'Birdlland', a New York Times reporter asked why they were all there? Ethan answered we're hear to learn acting from Jimmy.
Well anyone who's witnessed Jimmy's dramatic, emotion-filled performances can testify how real this is coming straight for his heart and real life experiences.

Here's a couple flicks Jimmy has acted in.......

Twin Peaks "Fire Walk With Me" ~ Jimmy plays a singing ghost belting out "Sycamore Trees" for Director 'David Lynch':

"Love Is The Answer" ~ Little Jeanie Scott
Soul Sister View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2009 at 5:07pm
In "Chelsea Walls" Jimmy plays the part of "Skinny Bones" as a hip resident of the Chelsea Hotel, and later belts out his version of John Lennon's "Jealous Guy" for Director 'Ethan Hawke' in the hotel night club.  Ethan was worried they never get the liscence for the use Lennon's song cause he thought Yoko would want a million dollars for it, lol, but Jimmy would not budge on doing that song! When Ethan finally got Yoko and told her it was Jimmy Scott she said she & John LOVED Jimmy so he could have the song for free, lol!!!

The Premere on the Red Carpet:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2009 at 5:15pm
"Be Kind Rewind" ~ 'Michel Gondry' is another Director that really digs Jimmy.  We had fun on the set with Danny Glover, McCoy Tyner, Booker T., & Steve Cropper.

Director & Cast on this location shoot:

Steve Cropper in our set trailer:

S.S.
dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2009 at 9:44am
NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Thumbs%20UpClap

I never watched Twin Peaks and I have not seen the films, but I have no doubt Jimmy was a STAR!!StarStar

I have heard him sing at thye beginning of a film a like a lot, but the name escapes me.  CRS!!LOL  We've discussed it before and I know you'll remember the name of that film. LOL!

Jimmy is one of very few vocalists who have made the transition from music to film.  YOU GO JIMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dream

http://cdbaby.com/cd/eugenepitt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2009 at 12:39pm
Cool dream,
  I think you may be referring to the movie "Lackawanna Blues" (HBO~a few years ago) where Jimmy's song 
"If Ever I Lost You" (my Savoy fave from 1960) was used in the opening of the film, it's the first song you hear.

S.S.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2009 at 12:41pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2009 at 12:51pm
The track is from the 1960 Savoy album "THE FABULOUS SONGS OF JIMMY SCOTT".
'Bill Cosby' also used a track from that album in 1993 on his t.v. show where he & Claire debate and make a bet on when it was released.....only on the show they actually had the re-issue of that album (1985) "All Over Again" (same tracks from 1959 & 60), then they danced to Jimmy's beautiful "Evening In Paradise".

S.S.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2009 at 1:12pm

Original Album Jacket:

Re-issue album:

Re-issue (3rd. one on this album, not including the Savoy Box-Set) "CD":

S.S.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2009 at 1:23pm
'Jimmy' also had a part in the movie "Stormy Weather ~ The Life of Harold Arlen" (2003), where he sang two of Arlen's songs "I Had A Love Once" and "Over The Rainbow". The film had much to do with Arlen's deep love of his beautiful wife Ana and the stormy relationship it was. It was filmed on location in Canada.

S.S.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2009 at 2:12pm
Soundtrack from "Stormy Weather ~ The Music Of Harold Arlen" (2003).

M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2009 at 2:29pm
I'm glad you put this thread up here Soul Sister. 

I saw this video the other day.  It's f**king brilliant!!!

Jimmy Scott... Sycamore Trees... from Twin Peaks

Every time I see it, I love it more!

Mixey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2009 at 2:48pm
HA HA HA, M I X E Y!!!
 Blanking brilliant you say LOOOOOOOOOL!!!

Twin Peaks was bugged, a trip!

I have some photos of Jimmy from this scene, I always thought they overdid the make-up.

Thanks for adding the video clip, Jimmy is amazing. Smile

S.S.
M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2009 at 3:06pm

Totally overdone SS.  I loved the whole thing!! ... and YES  Jimmy is amazing!  lol

Mixey
MickeyMac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickeyMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2009 at 3:25pm
Come on Mixey, you can say fuck

Anyhow I have seen
Twin Peaks both the TV show and the movie and I dont remember seeing Jimmy Scott, but it's been 15 years since I've seen it.
M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2009 at 3:45pm
Fuck Star

Mixey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2009 at 3:45pm
LOL, LOL, MIXEY!!!

M.M.,
Jimmy was in the last episode. See the video M I X E Y put up. Smile
David Lynch talks about why he wanted Jimmy for Twin Peaks "Fire Walk With Me" episode, in the Bravo Profiles Documentary about Jimmy.

S.S.
M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2009 at 7:58am
ZIP BAN DELETE!!!

WBG deleted the ability to watch the YouTube Twin Peaks Sycamore Trees video, with Jimmy singing, that I posted in this thread.

I was sitting with my son Travis tonight, and we were having a blast, listening to music and watching videos.

I couldn't wait to show him Jimmy singing Sycamore trees for the Twin Peaks show.  He loves Jimmy's singing and totally gets it... but oh no... the video has been removed!!!!!!!!!!!

I could only find a very small segment, that cuts Jimmy's part considerably, and isn't enough to set the scene.

They're obviously trying to sell the Twin Peaks series on DVDs.
Don't these idiots know that when you give people a little, they're more willing to want to buy the lot???

Really burned up!

Mixey
Jeff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2009 at 3:33pm
SS,

You say Jimmy was in the "last episode" of Twin Peaks? You mean the very final one? Sounds that way, but I'm wondering because I have the DVD set of the first season of Twin Peaks.

Jeff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 07 2009 at 10:02am
Hi MIXEY,
W_O_W ! That really sucks. 
I went to look at something by Teena Marie last week and it was gone!  GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR Angry  I want my maypo, I mean my videoes, lol, lol!!
This is a shame because they are only one song not a whole show to do anything with.

S.S.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 07 2009 at 10:08am
Hi Jeff,
That's cool.

Jimmy is in episode # 29, "Beyond Life And Death" where he is the "Black Lodge Performer" looking ghostly singing "Sycamore Trees".  It was filmed in 1991.

The CD is  Twin Peaks "Fire Walk With Me".

S.S.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic