Soulful Planet  Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Soul of Six > The Village > Town Hall
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

INAUGURATION DAY

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gua1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2009 at 8:59am
Originally posted by toad toad wrote:

With the economy in total free fall, the major entertainment
 Media giants.. ABC,CBS, NBC, etc.etc. are losing money, just like
 everybody else. Since these giants determine what we are exposed
 to on TV, they set the stage with intent to make money for themselves.
        Like her or not, Beyonce is making these people money,
 and she has a huge fan base that wants to see her.
       I believe she is one of the BEST young female stars to come
along in years. She can act, sing , and dance with the best that have
 come before her.. in a very competetive group of female
 performers. I can't begin to imagine how much pressure is on
  this young lady on a daily basis. Her performance in the above
  video is a perfect example of how truly gifted she really is.

She took on the risk of covering Etta James keynote song,
 and did Etta proud. Etta liked it, I liked it, and you can bet
 Beyonce's fans liked it. The Media people that made the decision
  to use Beyonce for this song made a lucrative pick.
     Imagine, if you will, if they had picked Brittany Spears to
 sing it.... Or Madonna. The later two would have given folks
 plenty of reason to scream bloody murder about the choice...
 Right?
      I believe Beyonce handeled the challange, and knocked the
 ball out of the park. No small task for a over-pressured young lady.
    When she claims it may be the most important day of her
life, I think she is right. I ask anyone reading this post.....
  Could you handle that pressure moment in history?

toad

I couldn't agree more!!! Well said
Laughter is the music of the soul (Gua's Blog)
MickeyMac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickeyMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2009 at 9:46am
I gotta disagree with all of you about Beyonce, call me a purist but I must side with Dream about "At Last" belonging to Etta James.

Anyhow I wouldnt break out the champagne just yet.   I know a lot of people are happy about Mr. Obama being in the white house, and those liberals who have been crying about "the last eight years".   Well Obama does not have a magic wand in his hand to make things right, nor will it happen in a week.

Everybody better brace yourself, especially those who voted for Mr. Obama.
Anybody else missing George Bush besides me?
Gua1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gua1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2009 at 9:58am
Originally posted by MickeyMac MickeyMac wrote:

I gotta disagree with all of you about Beyonce, call me a purist but I must side with Dream about "At Last" belonging to Etta James.

Mickey, I don't think anyone is saying that Etta own's (in a manner of speaking) the song. I'll speak for myself and say she (Beyonce) did a great job and her portrayal of Etta in the movie is increasing people's awareness of Etta.

Anyhow I wouldnt break out the champagne just yet.   I know a lot of people are happy about Mr. Obama being in the white house, and those liberals who have been crying about "the last eight years".   Well Obama does not have a magic wand in his hand to make things right, nor will it happen in a week.

Everybody better brace yourself, especially those who voted for Mr. Obama.

I for one am not breaking out the champagne as you stated, but we have to give The president time to help this country get back on track.
Time will tell. I hope your not siding with Rush limbaugh who said yesterday he hopes that Obama will fail.

dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2009 at 10:00am
I have to say I agree with both of you, Gua1 and Toad.

Beyonce and the movie have sparked renewed interest in Etta's signature song.  No doubt Etta is pleased.

I like Boyonce and think she's a beautiful and gracious young lady.  The operative word for me is "like".  I just don't think she is as talented as the old school artists like Gladys, Etta, Linda Jones and others.  Among the youngsters, I think Alicia Keyes, Joan Osborne and Christian Aguliera have better voices.  Of course, I prefer soulful voices.

One thing Beyonce has is the whole package, as Toad, says.  And, she is much better than the current crop of pop singers, like Jessica Simpson and others.

dream
http://cdbaby.com/cd/eugenepitt
Gua1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gua1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2009 at 10:04am
Originally posted by dream207 dream207 wrote:

I have to say I agree with both of you, Gua1 and Toad.

Beyonce and the movie have sparked renewed interest in Etta's signature song.  No doubt Etta is pleased.

I like Boyonce and think she's a beautiful and gracious oung lady.  The operative word for me is "like".  I just don't think she is as talented as the old school artists like Gladys, Etta, Linda Jones and others.  Among the youngsters, I think Alicia Keyes, Joan Osborne and Christian Aguliera have better voices.  Of course, I prefer soulful voices.

One thing Beyonce has is the whole package, as Toad, says.  And, she is much better than the current crop of pop singers, like Jessica Simpson ande others.

dream

once again you and I are on the same pageWink
dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2009 at 10:45am
That usually happens with us Gua1.  Great minds think alike.LOL

dream
toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2009 at 10:52am
          I won't claim to have the best trained ear in America,
 but I can say from watching her perform more than a few songs,
 Alicia Keyes has definate pitch problems. If it is apparant to me,
 I'm sure others hear it too. The performance she gave on that Inauguration show had pitch issues. Mariah's voice was breaking up a bit too. Like Dream states, Beyonce has the total package... wrapped up
 in a very marketable thing called ability. Few, if any can match her ability
 to step up and deliver..time after time.
     I wish I could buy stock in that young lady. It is no accident that
 the money people are betting big on her. 
     She is not just a singer, or actress,or dancer... She is an entertainer.
 An entertainer that is shining in an arena that is lacking good entertainers.

toad
Down, and nearly out in Detroit......
dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2009 at 11:08am
  She is not just a singer, or actress,or dancer... She is an entertainer.
 An entertainer that is shining in an arena that is lacking good entertainers.

toad
Down, and nearly out in Detroit......

Right on, Toad.

Alicia has a good voice IMO.  She can be pitchy at times, but she's soulful and a good songwriter, too.  I prefer her sound to Beyonce's because she's soulful.  To me, Beyonce is more of a pop singer, and she is the best of the young ones at that.

dream
Soul Sister View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2009 at 12:06pm
No doubt "Beyonce" is the whole package, let's not forget cover girl/model & savvy business woman too!!  She has the money behind her and the brains to market her and her attractive appearance to the max!!!

If "Alicia Keys" had the same money & marketing behind her, I think she would have been equaly successful, a very pretty girl indeed with a natural talent.
Like dream, I prefer Alicia voice better, not to mention her piano skills.

Credit goes to Beyonce, the hard work she's done (makes me exhausted (lol) keeping up with her being everywhere, involved in everything for maximum exposure) and the people behind her, she has a great team supporting her. Now that's not just entertainment that's "show business", the business of taking care of business Wink!!!

S.S.
"Love Is The Answer" ~ Little Jeanie Scott
Gua1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gua1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2009 at 1:13pm
Dream, Amen, Toad, Amen and SS, Amen I can't think of anything to add.....nuff said
MickeyMac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickeyMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2009 at 2:23pm
I think I better explain myself

This is becoming a habit of doing this on forums lol

About what I said earlier about Beyonce.  She has the looks yes, but her style of singing and that of other modern day performers in not my cup of tea.  If others enjoy it hey thats fine with me.

About what I said above about Obama,  all I was saying that with everything going on in the country, the man has his work cut out for him, and I know people like my friends who seem to think things are going to turn around immedietly.  Well things like this take time.  Thats all I was saying.

Also as you can tell, I am pretty outspoken.  Thats just the way I am.   I do that here alot because this is the only forum where I can express my views and not get yelled at.
Anybody else missing George Bush besides me?
Gua1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gua1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2009 at 2:57pm

I think I better explain myself

About what I said earlier about Beyonce.  She has the looks yes, but her style of singing and that of other modern day performers in not my cup of tea.  If others enjoy it hey thats fine with me.

Different strokes for different folks,

About what I said above about Obama,  all I was saying that with everything going on in the country, the man has his work cut out for him, and I know people like my friends who seem to think things are going to turn around immedietly.  Well things like this take time.  Thats all I was saying.

Agreed, Time will tell the tale......two days aint enough lol

Also as you can tell, I am pretty outspoken.  Thats just the way I am.   I do that here alot because this is the only forum where I can express my views and not get yelled at.

Cool beans, this forum has always allowed us to express our varied opinions without losing friendship!!
QUEENY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QUEENY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2009 at 8:23am
In all due respect to Beyounce as a young singer I think she did pretty good on the song "At Last".  If you were to compare her with Etta James, it's Etta hands down. When you listen to Etta's version, you can hear the emotion & experience of that song. Beyounce sings it well, but there's no expression of experience when she sings it.

AINT UNDERSTANDING MELLOW
Soul Sister View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2009 at 10:40am

Hi Queeny,

ABSOLUTELY! I agree 100%.  Smile

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!

S.S.
"Love Is The Answer" ~ Little Jeanie Scott
Gene_Leone_Mix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 20 2013 at 1:58am

Well... 2013...

I guess Round Two
will take place
in a few days...

Somehow I don't think that there will be
quite as much celebratimg as the last round.

The government stuff just feels so totally broken.

Anybody feeling that way, too?

M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2013 at 6:03pm
Geno....

I was moved by the last term's events, but with everything that's gone on since then, I feel more encouraged now, than I felt at that time.

I've been watching C-Span all day and I've been moved to tears numerous times.

I'm very proud of our President's speech, which I felt was extremely appropriate and hit the marks.

Still watching here with Mom.

Mixey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2013 at 11:13am
Well, Well...

Big Ups to James Taylor for playing it "Live",
cold fingers, cold guitar strings, cold voice and all...
and it was great...

but the "MajorLabel BigMoney AutoTuned Smoke and Mirrors Superstars"...
well...

CBSNews -beyonce-lip-syncing-furor- (full story here)

as one comment noted...
'Isn't this like playing air guitar at an important event?'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2013 at 11:33am
Beyonce lip-synched national anthem at inauguration
By Courtney Hazlett, TODAY
Updated at 6:30 p.m. ET: It's true what you're hearing about what you heard not being "true." Beyonce's spectacular inaugural performance of the national anthem was indeed lip-synched...."

"..."The Marine Band did perform live for the ceremony, parade, and even the prayer service today," DuBois said Tuesday. "At the very last minute, just before she went out, we received the instructions," DuBois said of Beyonce's decision not to sing live..."

~~~~~

... Yup.. the first 2 bars of letter A gave it away...

~~~~

..Vocal Performance Wise...
just a suggestion with this tune
...this is how to do it right...
using lip sync or not...

~~~~

Just a thought.

What a world...
is anything on TV real anymore?
Ever?

M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2013 at 11:09pm
Kelly Clarkson tore it up! She did a fantastic performance. I didn't realize she could sing this well. I was very pleasantly surprised.

Yes... kudos to James Taylor too. Not a perfect voice, but heartfelt and a whole lot better than Mitt Romney singing "above the fru ted plain". LooooooL!

Beyonce annoyed the crap out of me just walking out, hugging Michelle and sort of giving Obama a bit of a brushoff, almost like she didn't want to look too friendly for who the hell knows why... maybe wasn't even her call to do this, but the whole thing looked contrived from the start. ... and I agree Geno... 2 bars of letter A gave it away. Maybe she had a voice mishap or something... maybe under the weather? I hope there's a good reason, because obviously singing it live, would have delivered the most honorable performance. If her voice was somehow impaired, however, I could certainly understand why she'd be doing it this way. The only question I have would be... how did she sing the recording, though? Was she clairvoyant about needing to have it as back-up or what?? Really creepy at this point without an explanation!

Mixey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 24 2013 at 11:31pm

But wait... there's more!
*LoL*

- OBAMA URGED TO RESIGN OVER BEYONCÉ SCANDAL -
Posted by Andy Borowitz

Read more: www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/borowitzreport/2013/01

(((Andy Borowitz is great!)))

Ok everybody, back to wardrobe malfunctions!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic