Soulful Planet  Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Soul of Six > The Village > Town Hall
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

INAUGURATION DAY

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 20 2009 at 2:59pm
BUMP! For M I X E Y !!!  Smile

S.S.
"Love Is The Answer" ~ Little Jeanie Scott
M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 20 2009 at 5:19pm
OMG Soul Sister... I didn't see this.  THANK YOU so much!!

Really great video of Bunny Geno.  WOW

Mixey
Soul Sister View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2009 at 2:36pm
You are most welcome, MIXEY.  Smile

NOW....about the President and the first lady's dance.... I think Beyonce did a good job on "At Last" but I think 'Etta James' should have been asked/ invited first to sing 'her song' at the Neighborhood Ball or at least at another important one.  Also instead of the same instrumental playing "At Last" at every ball, I think they should have got 'Jimmy Scott' to sing it at one of those balls perhaps 'The Legends Ball', since Jimmy & Etta both recorded it and have been good friends thru the years.  Beyonce still could have did her version at one of the balls but the "two legends" should have been involved too!

That is my opinion Big%20smile, what's yours?

S.S.
MickeyMac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickeyMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2009 at 3:04pm

Soul Sister you shouldnt have asked for opinion because if you read my posts I dont hold nothing back.

Whatever imbecile decided that Beyonce should have sanged "At Last" instead of Etta James should be fired ASAP.

To be honest, I am glad all this ingauration business is over with. Clap

Anybody else missing George Bush besides me?
dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2009 at 4:25pm
S.S. and MM,

I agree with both of you, however, I believe Beyonce & JayZ are friends of the Obamas and that's probably why she got the gig.

For ABC's purposes, Bayonce is "hot" and current and there's been lots of buzz surrounding the movie where she plays Etta, too.

dream
http://cdbaby.com/cd/eugenepitt
MickeyMac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickeyMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2009 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by Soul Sister Soul Sister wrote:

You are most welcome, MIXEY.  Smile

NOW....about the President and the first lady's dance.... I think Beyonce did a good job on "At Last" but I think 'Etta James' should have been asked/ invited first to sing 'her song' at the Neighborhood Ball or at least at another important one.  Also instead of the same instrumental playing "At Last" at every ball, I think they should have got 'Jimmy Scott' to sing it at one of those balls perhaps 'The Legends Ball', since Jimmy & Etta both recorded it and have been good friends thru the years.  Beyonce still could have did her version at one of the balls but the "two legends" should have been involved too!

That is my opinion Big%20smile, what's yours?

S.S.

Just a little bias are we Soul Sister Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2009 at 7:27pm
             ~*~*~* The First Family *~*~*~

S.S.
lindzay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lindzay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2009 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by Soul Sister Soul Sister wrote:

<FONT face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif" color=#ff0000 size=4>             ~*~*~* The First Family *~*~*~

S.S.

Obamma is the boss now........thats all that matters.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2009 at 9:21pm
M.M.,
Your damn skippy I'm bias, with plenty of good reason to back it up! Smile Just telling it like it T.I. is!

S.S.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2009 at 8:19am
dream,
All that that you mentioned is true but.............all those 'balls' didn't have to play the same instrumental of "At Last" when they could have had two "real" deal singer/stylists LEGENDS in 'Etta & Jimmy' as outlined above. Smile

S.S.
dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2009 at 8:27am
NEWS FLASH  S.S. & MM

Heard on the Today Show this a.m. that Etta WAS invited to sing At Last but couldn't make it because she was not feeling well and had just had surgery.

That doesn't explain no invitation for Jimmy, however. Clearly an oversight by the Inaugural Committee.

dream

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2009 at 10:45am
dream,
Huh....... I heard from someone close to Etta that she was fine and has two Concerts coming up in the Washington (state) area soon.  Now I'm perplexed (?)!

At any rate, I don't think Etta was going to travel all the way to do a N.Y. morning talk show for nothing, at her age I'd stay home too, lol!!

The explanation for Jimmy, is that his D.C. lawyer (who is close to Stevens & them involved) was out of the country while all the planning was being done otherwise I do think Jimmy may have been invited to particiapate.
Not inviting the original and best who recorded "At Last", meaning Etta, is a travesty!

S.S.
MickeyMac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickeyMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2009 at 11:26am
Personally if they wanted to have a rocking ball they should have invited the Rolling Stones, Mick and the boys are always good for getting the party started.   Thumbs%20UpThumbs%20Up
dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2009 at 11:35am
S.S.

The Today Show announced Etta had been invited to sing at the Inaugural.  It had nothing to do with her singing on the Today Show.

That was the explanation they gave as to why she didn't sing at the Inaugural.

dream

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2009 at 12:13pm
OHHHH! HEE HEE_______________ I should read the entire post.

Thanks for the clarification dream, okay I can think of many reasons why she may not have went but I won't voice them. I'd still like to know if the surgury explanation was true since I've heard other things in regard to bookings. I hope Etta is okay.....I may have to give Jimmy's lawyer a call to find out what's happening.
GEEZ...I sure hope Etta is okay.

S.S.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2009 at 12:20am
The latest is that she was experiencing complications from the gastric by-pass surgury she had in 2003.

Etta will be another who is in my prayers.

S.S.
Gua1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gua1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2009 at 6:44am

ETTA JAMES 'PROUD' OF HER SIGNATURE SONG: Singer says she loved Beyonce's rendition during Obamas' first dance.

January 23, 2009

Etta%20James

*R&B legend Etta James says she was overcome with pride watching Beyonce belt her classic song, "At Last," while Barack Obama and his wife shared their first dance Tuesday night as President and First Lady.

James watched the Neighborhood Ball performance live on ABC Tuesday night from her home in California.       

Her son, Donto James, tells the New York Daily News: "She was looking forward to seeing it. She was honored (and) she thought it was great. She's gotten emotional, just like everybody else."      

Knowles also became emotional during her own performance. She told ABC's Robin Roberts:  "I was thinking (about) all the sacrifices Obama and his wife and his children have made, and at last he's here. I'm sorry, I'm so embarrassed. I'm just so lucky to be a part of this history. It's probably the most important day of my life, and I'm so grateful."

All we know is that after watching the combination of Beyonce practically making "At Last" her's, and the President and First Lady looking fabulous, we think we got great look at what change is. 

Laughter is the music of the soul (Gua's Blog)
dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2009 at 7:27am
Interesting Gua1.  Thanks for posting.  Beyonce did a fair rendition of the song and she's "hot" and current, but for an old fogie like me the song will forever be identified with Etta James.Smile

The Obamas first dance was one of the highlights for me.  It was nice to see a couple who looks like they really love each other and are not together just for political reasons.  It was in stark contrast to one other presidential couple I can think of.LOL

S.S.,  Thanks for the update on Etta.  I'm remembeing a show, not too long ago, where Beynce sang "At Last" and Etta was in the audience.  She looked frail at the time.  She will be in my prayers as well.  Etta is my number 2 favorite female vocalist, right behind Gladys Knight.

As always, just one woman's opinion.Smile

dream
Gua1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gua1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2009 at 8:14am
Originally posted by dream207 dream207 wrote:

Interesting Gua1.  Thanks for posting.  Beyonce did a fair rendition of the song and she's "hot" and current, but for an old fogie like me the song will forever be identified with Etta James.Smile  

I think she did a great job. It's a great song and, IMO, was right for the occasion. I think that with the the movie (Cadillac Records)  and with Beyonce singing the song, there has been a renewed interest in its origin and Etta James. People want to know who sang it first etc........

Originally posted by dream207 dream207 wrote:

The Obamas first dance was one of the highlights for me.  It was nice to see a couple who looks like they really love each other and are not together just for political reasons.  It was in stark contrast to one other presidential couple I can think of.LOL

Now I wonder who that could be......lol

Laughter is the music of the soul (Gua's Blog)
toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2009 at 8:55am
            With the economy in total free fall, the major entertainment
 Media giants.. ABC,CBS, NBC, etc.etc. are losing money, just like
 everybody else. Since these giants determine what we are exposed
 to on TV, they set the stage with intent to make money for themselves.
        Like her or not, Beyonce is making these people money,
 and she has a huge fan base that wants to see her.
       I believe she is one of the BEST young female stars to come
along in years. She can act, sing , and dance with the best that have
 come before her.. in a very competetive group of female
 performers. I can't begin to imagine how much pressure is on
  this young lady on a daily basis. Her performance in the above
  video is a perfect example of how truly gifted she really is.

She took on the risk of covering Etta James keynote song,
 and did Etta proud. Etta liked it, I liked it, and you can bet
 Beyonce's fans liked it. The Media people that made the decision
  to use Beyonce for this song made a lucrative pick.
     Imagine, if you will, if they had picked Brittany Spears to
 sing it.... Or Madonna. The later two would have given folks
 plenty of reason to scream bloody murder about the choice...
 Right?
      I believe Beyonce handeled the challange, and knocked the
 ball out of the park. No small task for a over-pressured young lady.
    When she claims it may be the most important day of her
life, I think she is right. I ask anyone reading this post.....
  Could you handle that pressure moment in history?

toad
Down, and nearly out in Detroit......
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic