Soulful Planet  Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Soul of Six > The Village > Town Hall
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

INAUGURATION DAY

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: INAUGURATION DAY
    Posted: Jan 04 2009 at 9:24am
I don't know if any of you have been to Washington for Inauguration Week, but it can be hectic, to put it mildly.LOL  Believe me, you're better off watching the festivites on television.  That's what I'm doing this time.  Unless you're invited by a member of Congress so you have easy access to the events you want to attend, forget about it.  LOL!

A young man from Maine is head of the Inauguration Committee handling all the events.  His father is one of my Democratic buddies and sits on the DNC.  (We've been doing post mortums after elections together since the early '80's.)  I can't wait to talk with him AFTER Inauguation Week is over.Smile

This was an historic election and I'm sure they're expecting bigger crowds than ever. 

Check this article about what D.C. officials are expecting on January 20.

dream

Good luck getting around D.C. on Inauguration Day
Sunday, January 4, 2009 10:49 AM EST
The Associated Press
By NAFEESA SYEED

WASHINGTON (AP) On a typical weekday, hundreds of thousands of people commute to the nation's capital, snarling roads and packing subway trains and buses during peak hours.

Imagine multiplying that several times for Barack Obama's inauguration Jan. 20.

"I don't want in any way to discourage anyone," said the District of Columbia's city administrator, Dan Tangherlini. "I just don't want them to come and be completely shocked by what they find."

It won't be pleasant, Tangherlini and other officials say.

The Washington area's transit system is telling passengers to expect extraordinarily long lines for trains and buses. Airports will be bustling with extra flights. Traffic could be at a standstill as motorists cope with street and bridge closings. Those who do manage to arrive in Washington will find limited parking.

"Pack your patience" is the advice from Corinne Geller, a Virginia State Police spokeswoman.

Amtrak is expanding service between Boston and Washington on Inauguration Day. Southwest Airlines is adding 26 flights to and from the region between Jan. 17 and Jan. 23. Delta Air Lines and its subsidiary, Northwest Airlines, are adding more than 5,000 seats Jan. 16 and Jan. 21 by using larger aircraft on existing flights. Airport officials say they will add staff to help guide travelers.

Virginia State Police plan to bring troopers from across the state to monitor expected gridlock outside Washington, Geller said. Maryland transportation officials are urging truck drivers and other commercial drivers to avoid the area.

Major bridges into the city, such as the Roosevelt, Memorial and inbound Key bridges, will be open only to buses and official inaugural traffic, Tangherlini said. A complete list of road closures will be released early this week, according to the Secret Service.

Prepare for the unexpected, authorities and inaugural organizers say.

"We also recommend developing backup plans in case your original travel plans need to be changed at the last minute," the Joint Congressional Committee on Inaugural Ceremonies said in a recent advisory.

Given the impending headaches, some would-be revelers are staying home.

Larry Froneyberger of Atlanta planned to pick up his 68-year-old grandmother, Francine, from High Point, N.C., on his way to the inauguration. They were going to stay in Baltimore and take the train into Washington.

She was excited about the prospect of witnessing the first black president, especially because she grew up during a time when that seemed impossible, Froneyberger said. But with her slow stride due to foot surgery last year, the transportation situation was too overwhelming.

"It's going to be a lot of waiting and she was like, 'I just can't do it,'" Froneyberger said.

Even cab drivers are thinking twice about working that day, said William J. Wright, president of the Taxicab Industry Group in Washington.

Wright said he has driven his cab during past inaugurations including John F. Kennedy's but based on what he's hearing, he expects gridlock for this one to be the worst.

"I don't see how a cab driver can make any money, to be honest with you, because he can't go anywhere," he said.

Others are willing to brave it, despite the many inconveniences.

Tony Vincent of northeast Washington said he will take the subway into Union Station, where he shines shoes. Depending on how many people step on his shoes on the packed train, he may need a polish of his own, he said.

"I know it's going to be crazy," he said. "It might be a little uncomfortable."

While government workers are off that day, some sectors are requiring employees to show up.

Nicholas Ramfos, who heads Commuter Connections, a nonprofit group that coordinates commuter programs in Washington, is recommending that employers allow workers to telecommute or shift their hours outside of peak inaugural travel time.

Besides biking or public transport, he suggests people take a look at his group's car pool list to find others who work or live near them.

For some people, leaving the city isn't an option.

Emily Durso, president of the Hotel Association of Washington, D.C., said hotels will be fully staffed, with many people working multiple shifts. Her group represents 97 hotels in Washington, and she said a number of them plan to set up cots for employees at the hotels or in empty apartments.

"We've never had anything like this," she said. "It's just a whole different animal in many ways."

Associated Press writers Dena Potter in Richmond, Va., and Brian Witte in Annapolis, Md., and AP Airlines Writer Harry R. Weber in Atlanta contributed to this report.

On the Net:

Joint Congressional Committee on Inaugural Ceremonies: inaugural.senate.gov/

District of Columbia: inauguration.dc.gov/index.asp

(This version CORRECTS that there are hundreds of thousands of daily commuters instead of close to 2 million, based on estimates from the city's transportation department.)

http://cdbaby.com/cd/eugenepitt
MickeyMac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickeyMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2009 at 1:05pm

I would rather watch the grass grow!!!

toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2009 at 2:11pm
         Someone forgot their happy pills today.....
Down, and nearly out in Detroit......
MickeyMac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickeyMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2009 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by toad toad wrote:

Someone forgot their happy pills today.....

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Touche

I'm acutally in a good mood todaySmile,  just not excited about the upcoming inaguration for various reasons
dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2009 at 8:39am
Well, I'm guilty of still being a junkie.LOL  I love to watch Inaugurations no matter who wins.  I love the pomp and circumstance and I'm proud of the way the United States has a peaceful transfer of power.  I even get all teary eyed.

Go ahead, say it, I'm a nut and I know it.  LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!LOL

dream
M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2009 at 12:48pm

After all we've been through with this election, and all of the great comments we had on the Obama thread that got accidentally wiped  Angry...

and the HUGE historic event that's about to occur  Clap...

YOU COULDN'T PRY ME AWAY FROM THE TUBE FOR THIS INAUGURATION... OMG!!!

So now you  can call me a nut too.  Smile

Mixey
MickeyMac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickeyMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2009 at 3:00pm
You're both nuts Smile LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

That said, you are both entitled to watch whatever pleases you.  I can tell you my friends cant figure out for the life of them why I like to watch the programs I watch lol LOL
toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2009 at 8:01am
              I can't think of any President, in my entire lifetime that
 has the people of America mesmerized like Barack Obama.
          The country is facing some trying and tough times, and to
 watch the actions of people, as of late, they seem to believe this
  one man...the new president elect, will cure all of our ills.
    The pied-piper of good times.
      I hope for everyone's sake that this guy lives up to the hype.
   The only man in recent history that has had such nationalistic
 widespread support,going in the door, was JFK.
     I am not sure that it is healthy to put so much faith in one man.
  He has potential to do some much needed reforms to the government,
  and I hope he uses his power in positive ways.
        America is asking a lot from this man. We will have to wait and see
 if he can deliver us from ourselves.

Are we gonna spend our way out of trouble?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28538966  Budget restraint ?  Huh?

toad
dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2009 at 12:50pm
Our own Sue W is going and covering the Inauguration for The Detroit News!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am soooooooooooooo excited for her!!!!!  Can't wait to read her articles.  She'll be covering a few balls too.  Should be fun and exhausting!

YOU GO SUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Thumbs%20Up

dream
Soul Sister View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2009 at 12:54pm
CONGRATS SUE!!!

I wanted Jimmy to do this one but his lawyer went to Paris before the holidays and is spending the new year skiing in the French Alps.  SIGH>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>he could have pulled it off had he been here, like when Jimmy performed for the Clinton Inuguration.

Oh well....maybe he can make another idea I have come to fruition for the end of the year. Smile All I can say for right now.

Sue, have a ball at the ball. LOL

S.S.
"Love Is The Answer" ~ Little Jeanie Scott
M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2009 at 2:10pm
FANTASTIC SUE!!!!

Thanks for letting us know Dream!

I didn't know Jimmy sang for the Clinton inauguration!!  That's so cool!!!

I wish I had heard him! Do you have a video of it?

Mike Garson just composed a piece for Obama that's incredible.  I hope he hears it sometime.

Mixey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2009 at 3:45pm
Yup, M I X E Y,
'Jimmy' sang at both President's Eisenhower (1953) & Clinton's (1993) Inugurations '40 years apart'. The funny thing he sang the same song at both, lol, "Why Was I Born".

Here you go ~ The Clinton Inuguration photo:
Jimmy with his signature arm thrust out, lol.

S.S.
M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2009 at 5:23am
That blows me away Soul Sister!  So so cool!!

I can't figure out how I knew about Jimmy's voice when I was 10 or 11.  I thought it was because of his recording of Exodus... but that's on  the CD "Lost and Found" that was recorded in the late 60's early 70's... and not even released until 1993.

When Manfred Schnelldorfer skated to Exodus in our ice show, that was in 1964.  I clearly remember hearing Jimmy Scott's voice somewhere around that time, and needing to know who he was.  I thought it was Exodus, but I guess not, although I know his version of Exodus so well.

Where did he record that?

... and better yet... where can I buy all of Jimmy's Cds in one place?  I get so distracted that I don't get around to doing something for myself sometimes.

Thanks,

Mixey

Gene_Leone_Mix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2009 at 12:16pm
Hi Everybody!

I just got off the phone with Bunny Sigler.
Bunny just got done doing this video, "Mr President"
and asked if i would post it here for everybody on SoulfulPlanet,
and said to say Hi to Everybody here.
(Bunny is still computer challenged with doing this sort of uploading stuff *LoL* hopeless! *LoL*).
Anyway... Here is Bunny's latest video...

Mr. President - Bunny Sigler

(Song by Bunny Sigler, Brian Pugh, David Ivory. Lloyd Z. Remick - Director - Greg Reid GTR Productions)
Go Bunny!
~Geno

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2009 at 12:26pm
Hi MIXEY,
"Exodus" was recorded in 1969 (Atlantic Records), Produced by Joel Dorn, it was recorded in New York City.  The album "The Source" was released but was pulled from the shelves in a couple months due to the block from Savoy Records owner who "again" claimed a lifetime contract on Jimmy. In the 90's this album was released again on CD, then again with a different cover  in 2002. It is also on the "Lost And Found" CD which wasn't released on original album when made in 1972 also "because of the block"....until the 90's when finally released on CD.  "Lost And Found" is 'my' favorite early album.

You may have heard Jimmy's voice on his popular recording "(I'm Afraid) The Masquerade Is Over" in the early 60's.  Or perhaps you heard songs from his Savoy Albums of the 50's (?).  I too remember hearing Jimmy's voice as a child in the 50's on "Someone To Watch Over Me".

To buy all of Jimmy's CD's, lol, that's alot!!!
The best place used to be "Tower Records" near Lincoln Center on Broadway in NYC but they closed their stores now. Other best locations are also in NYC "Virgin Records" on 45 Street & 7th Ave (Broadway) and "J & R Music World" downtown near old World Trade Center.  Both of those stores carry most of Jimmy's CD's.  I'm not sure who in So. Cali. carries the most.  Amazon.com has some of Jimmy's CD's, it's easy to shop CD's with Amazon, though they don't have a full discography.

Good Luck, MIXEY.......if I get any CD's from Warner UK in the future (springtime) I'll let you know which ones I can get you.

S.S.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2009 at 12:47pm
Geno!
That Bunny is amazing! Love him!!! Amazing voice and an amazing talent so underrated. 

The video is moving brought tears to my eyes.

Good luck Bunny!!! You go Bunny Sigler!!! ClapClapClapClapClap

S.S.
dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2009 at 1:33pm
BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a wonderful song and tribute to our new  president!!!  We've all pinned so many hopes and dreams on him.  Even those of us who didn't vote for him are caught up in the phenomenon.  I have not seen anythig like this since John F. Kennedy.

I got all teary eyed, too, S.S..  Those photos of the Obama family really tug at my heart strings.

Thanks for posting, Geno, and please tell Bubby how much we love his song.

dream

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2009 at 3:36pm
Hi MIXEY,
A continuation of my last post to you...............

*I checked online, here's the dope:

*AMAZON.COM has "14 of Jimmy's CD's" available throughout his career, plus his award winning documentary "If You Only Knew" on DVD (2004), and award winning biography "Faith In Time" The Life of Jimmy Scott (2002) by David Ritz.

*J & R MUSIC WORLD has "15 of Jimmy's CD's" available, including the Savoy Label "3-CD Box Set (1955-1975)" ~ (including some "9 Roost/Royal Roost Tracks" from 1951 & `52 that were on 78 RPM Records).

Either of those sites would probably be the best place to shop his music.

S.S.
Sue W. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sue W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2009 at 2:14pm
I love that...and I love Bunny!
Thanks for posting that, Geno!
toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2009 at 5:57pm
          Our new President's appointee to be the next Sec. of the Treasury,
 seems to have a habit of forgetting to pay his taxes. This from the
 former head of the NewYork Federal Reserve bank.
      The heads of the New York banks, all seem to have problems
 counting money. Dick Fuld, the former head of Lehman Brothers was paid
 480 million dollars, for six years work of not knowing how to count money.
     Somebody explain to me how you can get hired to run a bank,
 and not know how to add and subtract. WTF? Wacko

toad
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic