Soulful Planet  Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Soul of Six > Music General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Great Pride - "She's A Lady" MGM Records

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2011 at 8:51am
I agree with Toad, Geno.  Go for it!!

dream
http://cdbaby.com/cd/eugenepitt
Jeff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2011 at 11:04am
Geno,

No one in the Lopez/Sony/BMI Camps will give this matter so much as a
backwards glance until they're served with papers. You know that.

You've already done due diligence by putting the matter out there on the
internet. Your record, your videos, and your copyrights on file are all the
smoking guns any competent law firm needs to press this matter
to it's only rightful and logical conclusion. You must find the firm
that will help you with this. They're out there.

Even if this means you can't ultimately be friends with Jennifer Lopez,
you have to protect what's yours. This is not personal. It's very serious
business, and a court should recognize this. Sony should be made to pay
an award for damages and returns on existing Sony record and video sales.

Jeff
M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 01 2011 at 3:26am
Good Morning America and Nightline will be airing a show today/tonight... about Marc Anthony and "the real reason" he and Jennifer Lopez split up.

When I read the ABC article quoting Marc as saying the following, I couldn't take it anymore!

“This is not a funeral. this is not a burial,” Anthony said of his divorce. “This is just two people who came together and just realized — and so I’m saying that it wasn’t sustainable the way it was, and that’s that.”

I posted the following comment on ABC New's comments page
ABC NEWS COMMENTS PAGE
with a link to "who Sample Who" and also to this thread on Soulful Planet.

Here's what I wrote:

The article above quotes Marc Anthony as saying:
“… it wasn’t sustainable the way it was, and that’s that.”

He talks about “the way it was”… Well how about Jennifer Lopez’ song entitled
“The Way It Is”… from her 2007 album???

The 2 of them literally STOLE the whole music track (not a sample… the whole LITERAL track) from the song “She’s A Lady”, a song written by my friend Gene Leone. He also played drums through the whole thing; so they stole his performance too. My friend is actually playing on Jennifer Lopez’ song “The Way It Is”… no credit… no money… and he wrote the music as well!

They wrote new lyrics around it and called it their own. That’s ILLEGAL! My friend, who wrote and played drums on the song “She’s A Lady”, didn’t know they stole his performance and his writing, until just recently. He never received a cent for it, and Jennifer Lopez and Marc Anthony made a fortune from it.

Right before the split was announced between Marc Anthony and Jennifer Lopez, my friend sent a request to their Lawyer asking for them to contact him immediately… No response from anyone.

What kind of people would be that greedy and hard hearted to steal music from someone!

My friend doesn’t have the money for a high powered lawyer to go after what’s rightfully his. That’s what they are counting on, for sure, and why they prey upon humble artists, like my friend.

I urge everyone to spread the word about this injustice.

Listen to both songs here:

"Who Sampled Who"

Thank you,

Mixey

The story will be on ABCNews THIS MORNING. Get a first look today on “Good Morning America” at 7/6 a.m. central and then see the exclusive full story on “Nightline” at 11:35/10:35 p.m. central on ABC TONIGHT!

I hope people will become aware of what has happened, and help.

Mixey
M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 01 2011 at 4:03am
The ABC site is saying my post is awaiting "Moderation", before it posts.

Maybe they do this with all posters in case they get spammers.

We'll see.

Mixey
s. p. a. t. View Drop Down
AdminTeam
AdminTeam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s. p. a. t. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 01 2011 at 4:30am
We have opened this thread to Guest Posters. ABC has the link to this thread. We don't know if they will publish it or not.

Hope it works out.
Sincerely,
S. P. A. T.
Soulful Planet Administration Team
M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 01 2011 at 5:57am
Well...

My comment was deleted off of the ABC comment page by the moderators, so I sent them the following e-mail on their ... Have More Information... page.

I sent the following to the Contact the ABC Blog Editors.

Dear Good Morning America & Nightline,

Marc Anthony talks about “the way it was”… Well how about Jennifer Lopez’ song entitled “The Way It Is”… from her 2007 album???

Jennifer Lopez & Marc Anthony STOLE the whole music track (not a sample… the whole LITERAL track) from “She’s A Lady”, a song written by my friend Gene Leone. Gene played drums throughout the song, and they stole his performance too. My friend is actually playing on Jennifer Lopez’ song “The Way It Is”… no credit… no money… and he wrote the music as well!

Jennifer wrote new lyrics around Gene's music and called it her own. That’s ILLEGAL! Gene didn’t know they stole his performance and his writing, until just recently. He never received a cent for it, and Jennifer Lopez and Marc Anthony made a fortune from it.

Right before the split was announced between Marc & Jennifer, Gene sent a request to their Lawyer asking for them to contact him immediately. No response.

What kind of people would be that greedy and hard hearted to steal music from someone!

My friend doesn’t have the money for a high powered lawyer to go after what’s rightfully his. That’s what Marc & Jennifer are counting on for sure, and why they prey upon humble artists, like my friend.

I urge everyone to spread the word about this injustice.

Please listen to both songs here:

Who Sampled Who

Thank you,
Mary

In order to "submit"... I had to check a box that refers to agreeing that nothing I am saying "defames" any person. I answered "No" to the section above, saying that I didn't want the information published. The reason I said this, was because I wasn't sure about the term "defame". If a person is famous, wouldn't it be defaming to say they stole something... even if it's true? Anyway... In order to "Submit"... you MUST check the box that agrees with the terms and conditions, even if you don't want to. How else can someone give info to a news station???

There isn't another option other that to shut up about the truth... so... I submitted it. Not fair to get a person between a rock and a hard place.

I also said "yes" to them being able to contact me.

We'll see if this goes anywhere.

Mixey
toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 01 2011 at 6:30am
         I can't imagine why a Patent/Copyright law
 firm would not take on Gene's case with Lopez
 pro-bono. ALL lawyers are looking for cases where
 large money is involved. They don't make much money
 by filing patents or copyrights. They do make serious money on litigation suits against infrindgments on
 patents and copyrights.
       I am confused as to why Geno can't find a firm
 to help him get his dues. His case appears to be a slam
 dunk for ANY lawyer worth his salt.

toad
Down, and nearly out in Detroit......
M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 01 2011 at 3:34pm
It is a slam dunk Toad.

He needs a Lawyer, who has the nuts to go up against these people, however. The people I've approached live too close to each other, so to speak, I suspect.

Mixey

M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2011 at 3:19pm
Well...

We'll see if the editors at ABC contact us regarding this. So far not a word, but I'm sure they have to verify everything, before getting involved. Maybe they don't get involved in legal issues period. I was just hoping that maybe word would get to the right people, and make the Lopez/Anthony camp re-think their moral position. It's possible they still don't know... and maybe didn't know the music was stolen either. When there are so many people working on a production, and you trust that original music is being composed, or at least that samples have been paid for... things can happen aside from one's awareness.

I have a hard time thinking that people can do this kind of thing knowingly.

Mixey
Gene_Leone_Mix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2011 at 5:18pm
Remember that whole thing about...

Ethics

Ya know... big business actually doing the right thing,..

Well in light that "novel concept", known as Ethics,
please read this well written article...

Just for reference purposes, only, of course, and how it relates:

— 6 Things the Film Industry Doesn’t Want You to Know About —

Cinematic Listology By Ashe Cantrell on September 8, 2011
6 Things the Film Industry Doesn’t Want You to Know About - (Click Here)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2011 at 2:20pm
Just wanted to update on the:

Great Pride - "She's A Lady" MGM Records & Jennifer Lopez - "The Way it Is" thing...

Still going on, blah blah blah...

But...

consider this.... 1974 to present 2011
... and a whopping $0.14 ... yes... 14 cents grand total royalties so far!!!!

Oh the fun continues...
~Gene

p.s. here it is 2011, and no doubt, the Wall Street Banksters learned from the well practiced Major Labels about greed and how to rip off and enslave.

Occupy Everything!

In the mean time... enjoy the Music
~Geno

www.whosampled.com - Jennifer Lopez Sampled Great Pride -

������
Update 2012...
Sony has pulled that YouTube account referenced above...
here's another copy of it, also on YouTube...

� The Way It Is- Jennifer Lopez �

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CcMch8tmWo
and read the comments... about...

Great Pride - "She's A Lady" MGM Records & Jennifer Lopez - "The Way it Is"
������

s. p. a. t. View Drop Down
AdminTeam
AdminTeam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s. p. a. t. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 07 2011 at 1:11pm
Shameful!

Meanwhile... the Lopez brand is everywhere.

Get going with the Fox people Geno.

Good luck.

Mixey

S. P. A. T.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2012 at 2:46pm
Placing this "Screen Grab" jpg
here just in case anything else "disappears" from YouTube,
with respect to the comparison of

Great Pride's - "She's A Lady" MGM Records & Jennifer Lopez - "The Way it Is" thing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CcMch8tmWo
––••––

and yes...
in case anybody was wondering...
J-Lo has the song and performance
up there
"for sale"
at ArtistDirect.com
http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/window/media/page/0,,4391558-12298856,00.html

––••––

Jeff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2012 at 4:36pm

I wonder if anybody in Sony legal has tagged this as a legitimate problem.

If there's anybody in there paying any kind of attention, they ought
to recognize that this situation has exposed them to risk.

More likely they're paying no attention whatsoever. 

Jeff
M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2012 at 11:23pm
Of course they're paying no attention. They have to be made to PAY attention!

Get it done Geno.

Mixey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2012 at 3:49pm

M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2012 at 1:27pm
You know I'm all for bringing this out front, Geno.

ML
Mixey
Poke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2012 at 2:17pm
This is beyond reproach.  Have an attorney take it on, on a contingency basis...one who deals in intellectual property.  Geno, had the copyright expired past the 25 years?  Was your song listed in the "public domain"?  If not, then you have a great case.  I would go public with it.  How about one of those Hollywood "rags"?  I'm sure that not only would they publish your story, but they'd pay you for the information!  I will be following this from here on out!!!

Much Love,
Poke
Much Love,
-Poke.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2013 at 9:34pm
2013 UPDATE;

YouTube Comment:

~Gene Leone Mix 1 second ago
Please see "Great Pride - She's A Lady" - MGM Records 1976
"J-Lo The Way It Is" taken from
Great Pride - "She's A Lady" (Gennaro Leone aka Gene Leone / Bruce Rudd � 1974 (ASCAP) (Scully Music Co ASCAP)
- Single 45 RPM Release - MGM Records -M 14741 � 1974 (ASCAP)
SHE S A LADY Work ID: 490328955 ISWC: T0709246729
Thank You, (The Drummer/Co-Founder of Great Pride & Co-Author of "She's A Lady") - Gene_Leone_Mix

Note: the band has still not been compensated for J-Lo's release. (as of 2013)
Reply �
���������

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 19 2013 at 10:25am
UPDATE:

*LoL* I'm the "Co-Writer", I'm the Drummer, and it was our Band "Great Pride"... 

I need some advice on how to spend my latest ASCAP royalty check from this ...

$2.47....

Should I spend it all at once? *lol* 
(((How much is a cup of coffee?)))

Major Labels... what a joke!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic