Soulful Planet  Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Soul of Six > Music General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Great Pride - "She's A Lady" MGM Records

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Great Pride - "She's A Lady" MGM Records
    Posted: Dec 27 2010 at 12:22am
As of 9/6/2011, we have brought this topic back to it's original place in Music General.

S. P. A. T.
. . . . . . . . . .

As of 9/1/2011, you do not have to be a member of Soulful Planet to respond to this topic. We will keep this thread open to guest posters for a short while.

If any of our members have objections to this, please let us know.

Soulful Planet Administration Team

Gene Leone's post begins below...
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

My Old Band in The '70's -
� "Great Pride" - "She's A Lady" MGM Records �

Pictured L to R - Lynwood Burns (Bass), Bob Sworaski (Keys), Donovan Roberts (Vocals), Gene Leone (Drums) , Bruce Rudd (Guitar), Farley Presley (Vocals -RIP) & Ken Still (Congas) ... and John Mazzacano (Mgr-not pictured) ... and Andy Kahn (String Arrangements -not pictured) and Karen Young (additional BG Vocals - not pictured)... Produced, Engineered & Mixed by Walter Kahn at Queen Village Studios in Philly, PA... for MGM Records...
Yes, we had fun in 1974/1975!

Great Pride - "She's A Lady" (Gennaro Leone aka Gene Leone / Bruce Rudd � 1974 (ASCAP)
(Scully Music Company ASCAP) - Single 45 RPM Release - MGM -M 14741 � 1974 (ASCAP) SHE S A LADY Work ID: 490328955 ISWC: T0709246729

Gennnaro "Gene" Leone aka Gene_Leone_Mix

(((Note to Everybody... I'm posting this here, right now for a very very VERY good reason that will SOON some become EXTREMELY EVIDENT that was just brought to my attention, yesterday (Christmas Eve 2010)... I hit the roof with anger when I saw what had been done without my knowledge, permission or legal consent of use (back in 2007) involving my/our work shown in the info above (from 1974).... but for right now lets just say that... that's "The Way It Is" for right now...
- More Later, Geno... aka Gennaro Leone aka Gene Leone aka Gene_Leone_Mix aka Drummer/Founding Member of Great Pride and Co-Writer of "She's A Lady" (ASCAP -1974) ))))

I will keep YOU ALL posted!!!!!! ~Gene
s. p. a. t. View Drop Down
AdminTeam
AdminTeam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s. p. a. t. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 27 2010 at 8:09am
Oh no Geno... I can only imagine what's up with this.

Yes... Please let us know.

Mixey, Bruce & Char

toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 27 2010 at 3:22pm
         You sure have me curious... Whats happening,
 Geno ?
Down, and nearly out in Detroit......
Gene_Leone_Mix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 28 2010 at 8:11am
Great Pride - "She's A Lady"

Pictured L to R: Ken Still (Congas), Farley Presley (Voc -RIP), Bruce Rudd (Guitar),
Gene Leone (Drums), Donovan Roberts (Voc), Bob Sworaski (Keys), Lynwood Burns (Bass)
& Andy Kahn (String Arrangements w/Don Renaldo MFSB Strings-not pictured)
& with Karen Young (additional BG Vocals - not pictured)...
Produced by Walt Kahn at Queen Village Studios in Philly, PA
for MGM Records - and John Mazzacano (Mgr-not pictured).

Great Pride - "She's A Lady" (© Gennaro Leone aka Gene Leone / Bruce Rudd- ASCAP)

((((((( We had fun in 1974! ~Gene Leone )))))

~~~

Great Pride - "She's A Lady" (Gennaro Leone aka Gene Leone / Bruce Rudd � 1974 (ASCAP) (Scully Music Co ASCAP)
- Single 45 RPM Release - MGM Records -M 14741 � 1974 (ASCAP)
SHE S A LADY Work ID: 490328955 ISWC: T0709246729

Thank You, (The Drummer/Co-Founder of Great Pride & Co-Author of "She's A Lady") - Gene_Leone_Mix
~~~~

YouTube Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gobtRMS_AE
... more stuff coming about all of this, (and "The Way It Is") as I can... stay tuned, ~Geno

M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 28 2010 at 3:21pm
Geno,

I know it's in your best interest to be cryptic right now.

Thank you for putting this thread up; because I know that as the days progress, it will be of value to everyone to see how things unfolds.

Be certain that if "somebody" doesn't do THE RIGHT THING, in a REASONABLE AMOUNT OF TIME... I'm sure we'll all be happy to help clarify this situation globally.

Good luck,
Mixey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 30 2010 at 11:10am
December 30. 2010 Update & More Info:

Today, on my FB page, in reference to "Great Pride - "She's a Lady" and this SoulfulPlanet Thread...
- Ted Norton wrote:
"I'm with ya Geno. the good thing is that I got to hear this track and I never may have otherwise. THIS IS AWESOME !!!"

~~~~ I replied:

Ted, Thank YOU!   I was 22 years of age when we (Great Pride) composed and recorded "She's A Lady" for MGM Records and performed it live out on the road, and it's release was often refered to in the press and radio as being "way ahead of it's time", and it was very influentual in accelerating my career in Music.

Obviously, Great Pride - "She's A Lady" is VERY SPECIAL to me.

... but this is only the begining of this story, and what came to light on Christmas Eve 2010, during an unrelated phone conversation with my dear friend Kathy Valley, who happened to look up "Great Pride" on YouTube... leading to someting that was done involving "literal use of the recorded performance and song" of "She's A Lady" back in 2007 by a GLOBAL MAJOR ARTIST that I very much respect, on a EPIC/SONY MUSIC as a Major Label release that went Double Platinum in Russia, etc., ... that previously, I have had absoultely no knowledge of it's existence, it's use, or it's modification to this very moment... of OUR ORIGINAL WORK!

But how would I have known about this, except by random discovery... I was never contacted. Our song "She's A Lady" was re-edited, 99% of the original performance credits and musician credits and publisher credits on Great Pride - "She's A Lady" were stripped away, new "writers' and "lyrics" and "producers" were added, and the "song title" was changed and re-registered on BMI... not ASCAP!!!!!!

(see BMI Work #11400002)

Stay tuned here to this thread... more to come as I can, more details unfold right in front of my freaking eyes...

Link: Topic: Great Pride - "She's A Lady" MGM Records -1974
http://www.soulfulplanet.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3045

~Geno, ...aka Gennaro Leone aka Gene Leone -
(The Drummer/Co-Founder of Great Pride & Co-Author/ Composer of "She's A Lady" 1974 ASCAP) - Gene_Leone_Mix

p.s. Since Great Pride - "She's A Lady" dates back to and was recorded in 1974...
maybe they just thought we were all dead by now!
Hint hint.... I'm still alive, still producing MUSIC, and can be easily found all over the internet! ~Gene_Leone_Mix

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 30 2010 at 1:16pm
Listen & Compare! Oh, What Fun!

Great Pride - "She's A Lady" 1974

(Click To Listen)

Jennifer Lopez - "The Way It Is" 2007

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/pT-5VhYpPLU/
(Click To Listen)

or watch them here on YouTube...

Great Pride - "She's A Lady" MGM Records -1974

Jennifer Lopez - "The Way It Is" - EMI/Sony Records 2007

and read the comments...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mRAcZ-Hj3g

or this one also on YouTube...

The Way It Is- Jennifer Lopez

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CcMch8tmWo
and read the comments...

"Great Pride" - "She's A Lady" Omitted Musician & Performance Credits:
Gene Leone (Drums), Bruce Rudd (Guitar), Bob Sworaski (Keys), Lynwood Burns (Bass), Ken Still (Congas), Andy Kahn (String Arrangements w/Don Renaldo MFSB Strings), Farley Presley (Voc -RIP), Donovan Roberts (Voc), & with Karen Young (additional BG Vocals - not pictured)...
for MGM Records -
Scully Music Co ASCAP /Sunshine MGMT & John Mazzacano (Band Mgr).

Great Pride - "She's A Lady" Composed by Gennaro Leone aka Gene Leone / Bruce Rudd- ( 1974 ASCAP)

Great Pride - "She's A Lady" (Gennaro Leone aka Gene Leone / Bruce Rudd 1974 (ASCAP) (Scully Music Co ASCAP)
- Single 45 RPM Release - MGM Records -M 14741 1974 (ASCAP)

Thank You, (The Drummer/Co-Founder of Great Pride & Co-Author of "She's A Lady") - Gene_Leone_Mix
~~~~
dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 30 2010 at 5:10pm
OH MY!!!  Sounds like Jenny from the block has set a new standard as a judge on American Idol.

Best of luck with all this, Geno.Thumbs%20Up

dream
http://cdbaby.com/cd/eugenepitt
s. p. a. t. View Drop Down
AdminTeam
AdminTeam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s. p. a. t. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 31 2010 at 5:52am
You wrote it, and played on it Geno. Jennifer Lopez used it... not just a small part of it either... on a multi-platinum selling album... and you have not received a cent for it. That's really horrible!

Good direction Dream... Maybe the Idol people would enjoy being made aware of this.

How encouraging would it be, to an up and coming star, to be judged by somebody like that! I hope for her sake, she was unaware of this obvious wrongdoing, and will make it right.

Good luck,
Mixey, Bruce & Char

dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 31 2010 at 11:14am
If they can't settle this properly between her peeps and your peeps, a little public embarrassment never hurts - your cause.  The producers of "American Idol" will not want any scandal and shows like "Access Hollywood" & "Entertainment Tonight" & "The Insider" are always looking for stories like this.

I think all will go well for you, Geno.Smile

dream
http://cdbaby.com/cd/eugenepitt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 02 2011 at 12:24pm
— Jennefer Lopez - "The Way It Is" from BRAVE ALBUM (2007)
fan made video, "instrumental version"
using GREAT PRIDE - "She's A Lady" (written by Gennaro Leone, Bruce Rudd ©1974 ASCAP, and performed by Great Pride for MGM Records)�

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I also found this after much searching and not finding it on the ASCAP site:
((((Make note, Great Pride - "She's A Lady" Authors & Publishers is registered w ASCAP in 1974!!!!)))):

BMI Website:
http://repertoire.bmi.com/title.asp?blnWriter=True&blnPublisher=True&blnArtist=True&keyID=11400002&ShowNbr=0&ShowSeqNbr=0&querytype=WorkID

WAY IT IS (Legal Title)

BMI Work #11400002
Songwriter/Composer ------ Current Affiliation --------CAE/IPI #
BELL MICHELLE LYNN                     ASCAP                                 341773072
KEUSCH PETER W                            ASCAP                                 346344267
LEONE GENNARO C CYPRIAN        ASCAP                                   88991014 (Gene Leone)
LOPEZ JENNIFER LYNN                      BMI                                  352848639   (Jennifer Lopez)
ROBINSON RHONDA N                      BMI                                 357287528
RUDD BRUCE FREDERICK               ASCAP                                  89235055

Publishers
BLUE BUCKET MUSIC                          BMI                                 579251712
NUYORICAN PUBLISHING                   BMI                                352425186
Additional Non-BMI Publishers
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
AS I said before:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
� JLo's Jennifer Lopez - "The Way It Is" � (Great Pride -"She's A Lady")
Omitted "Great Pride" - "She's A Lady" Musician & Performance Credits:

Gene Leone (Drums), Bruce Rudd (Guitar), Bob Sworaski (Keys), Lynwood Burns (Bass), Ken Still (Congas), Andy Kahn (String Arrangements w/Don Renaldo MFSB Strings), Farley Presley (Voc -RIP), Donovan Roberts (Voc), & with Karen Young (additional BG Vocals - not pictured)...
for MGM Records -
Scully Music Co ASCAP /Sunshine MGMT & John Mazzacano (Band Mgr).

Great Pride - "She's A Lady" Composed by Gennaro Leone aka Gene Leone / Bruce Rudd- (� 1974 ASCAP)

Great Pride - "She's A Lady" (Gennaro Leone aka Gene Leone / Bruce Rudd � 1974 (ASCAP) (Scully Music Co ASCAP)
- Single 45 RPM Release - MGM Records -M 14741 � 1974 (ASCAP)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~Geno aka. Gene Leone, aka Gennaro Leone aka Gene_Leone_Mix!

p.s. As of this writing (1/02/2011), not one official notification in any way shape or form, or royalty, or payment in any form, has come to me (Gennaro Leone, Gene Leone, Gene_Leone_Mix, or Gene Leone Music) about my song, my drum performance, my band's preformance of "Great Pride - She's A Lady", being "Literally" used for more than 3:07 in Jennifer Lopez - "The Way It Is", on the BRAVE CD, selling 800,000 units to date worldwide since 2007, from ANY SOURCE- MGM, EPIC, SONY, BMG, ASCAP, BMI, SoundExchange, RIAA, or the US Copyright Office, etc.

(((Yes, not one red cent!)))

Obviously, yet another part of the "Major Label Music Industry" is clearly broken.

~Stay Tuned!

toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 02 2011 at 6:17pm
         How Low can J-Low Go ?  The world waits
  to hear.....  Somethin' ain't right here !

toad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2011 at 6:30am
Great Pride info - Updated around the web:

http://soul-sides.com/2010/03/march-dimes.html
Great Pride: She's a Lady
From 7" (MGM, 1974)

"I originally heard this back in 2003 when I got booted on a strange, one-off 12". Even then, I remember it being some really crazy stuff but I had forgotten about it for years until recently, when I grabbed an OG copy of the 7". It's such a fantastically quirky song that mashes up some funky white dude rock, lush orchestral production and crazy psychedelic vocals. Call me crazy but didn't the moment where the strings and beat come together at :15 remind you of this? Far as I can tell, this was the only release this 7-man band ever put out; pity - I would have loved to hear what an entire LP's worth of material sounded like from these guys."

and...

www.discogs.com/artist/Great+Pride

~Comment Added:

Thank You! - "Great Pride" - "She's A Lady" Musician & Performance Credits: Gene Leone (Drums), Bruce Rudd (Guitar), Bob Sworaski (Keys), Lynwood Burns (Bass), Ken Still (Congas), Andy Kahn (String Arrangements w/Don Renaldo MFSB Strings), Farley Presley (Voc -RIP), Donovan Roberts (Voc), & with Karen Young (additional BG Vocals )... Produced by Walt Kahn at Queen Village Studios in Philly, PA for MGM Records - Scully Music Co ASCAP /Sunshine MGMT & John Mazzacano (Band Mgr).
Great Pride - "She's A Lady" Composed by Gennaro Leone aka Gene Leone / Bruce Rudd- ( 1974 ASCAP)
Great Pride - "She's A Lady" (Gennaro Leone aka Gene Leone / Bruce Rudd 1974 (ASCAP) (Scully Music Co ASCAP) - Single 45 RPM Release - MGM Records -M 14741 1974 (ASCAP) SHE S A LADY Work ID: 490328955 ISWC: T0709246729

Also, Great Pride's - "She's A Lady" (1974) was extensively "literally" sampled on Jennifer Lopez - "The Way It Is" in (2007)(As of 2011, The Members. Writers and Musicians of Great Pride have yet to be formally notified, or compensated or properly credited for their performance that was "sampled" in J.Lo's BRAVE CD, or This "Dusty Fingers Volume 16" release.
Ongoing details at:
Topic: Great Pride - "She's A Lady" MGM Records -1974 http://www.soulfulplanet.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3045

Thank You, (The Drummer/Co-Founder of Great Pride & Co-Author of "She's A Lady") - Gene Leone / Gene_Leone_Mix
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jennifer Lopez - BRAVE CD for Sale on Artist Direct -
Note OMISSION of CREDITS for Great Pride, "She's A Lady" Writers & Musicians as used on Jennifer Lopez - "The Way It Is" -(Click Here!)

yet clearly... A zillion other Records and CD's had no problem with listing "CREDITS" in ArtistDirect:

"Gene Leone" at Artist Direct
"Gene Leone" at Artist Direct
http://www.artistdirect.com/search

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2011 at 7:42pm
Wow!
Read some of these Comments getting posted
on FunkDawg's YouTube page about
Great Pride - She's A Lady
from FunkDawg0711's YouTube Page (click here)
...about ...

Soul Sister View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2011 at 11:13am
Hi Geno,
Just read this. You need to put your royalty lawyer on this, you'll get's what due.
Good Luck.

S.S.
"Love Is The Answer" ~ Little Jeanie Scott
MickeyMac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickeyMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2011 at 3:59pm
Go get her Gino!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Anybody else missing George Bush besides me?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2011 at 11:10am
Thanks everybody,
In my world, and in a strange way, this is not so much about "getting anybody".

Clearly, a mistake was made here, omissions were 'ooopsed' here.
It is my sincere wish that the responsible individuals step up to the plate and do what is right,
do what is ethical,
do what is fair and honest,
and simply correct what was done wrong...
fairly and honestly to all involved.

Will this happen? At this moment... I still do not know.

I know that our buddy, George Clinton is going through a similar situation of things that "ooopsed & happened"
in the Major Label Music Indusrty in 2007 with the Black Eyed Peas and the "literal sampling and use" of his works, also.

Doing what is what is ethical, what is fair, and what is honest to ALL involved solves the problems.

Stay tuned.... More to come...
~Geno

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2011 at 1:05am
Update ... as of this writing, still no contact
whatsoever
from the "Jennifer Lopez" camp to ASCAP, to myself or
to any Founding Member of the Band "Great Pride",
concerning the "literal use", "song use".
and "literal performance use via direct literal sampling" of...

and
its' "use" (for sale) in " Jennifer Lopez - Brave Album" - "The Way It Is" of ...

and... http://www.whosampled.com/sample/89916/Jennifer-Lopez-The-Way-It-Is-Great-Pride-She%27s-a-Lady/
http://www.whosampled.com/sample/89916/Jennifer-Lopez-The-Way-It-Is-Great-Pride-She%27s-a-Lady/

Gene_Leone_Mix (((p.s. ...who's contact info is very easy to find in Google...)))

~~~
Thank You to All following this. (The Drummer/Co-Founder of Great Pride & Co-Author of "She's A Lady") - Gene Leone / Gene_Leone_Mix
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2011 at 7:26am
www.whosampled.com - Jennifer Lopez Sampled Great Pride -

...and still no word from Jennifer Lopez's camp about any of this...

toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2011 at 8:39am
          I think her camp is waiting for you to sue them.
  Time to talk to a high-powered law firm and see if
  they will work pro-bono to get you your dues.
        There is no shame or guilt on you for this kind
 of action. The Lopez camp knew exactly what they were doing by ripping you guys off. There can be no defence
 for them. You will prevail. If there is any guilt or
 shame to be had, it will fall at Lopez's feet, and
 she will be forced to deal with it.
         Go for it, Geno.   Don't hold back !

toad
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic