Soulful Planet  Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Soul of Six > Music General > Multi*Platinum Stellar Threads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GREAT PLAYERS ... GREAT PERFORMANCES! - Event Date: Sep 19 2007

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 19>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 22 2007 at 4:11am
Notes from the foot-in-mouth dept:

Mixey, I think you think I didn't care for Tanke's piano piece or thought it wasn't any good. I did like it, and in a special way ... What I was trying to say was that it really did remind me of the structure of my early noodlings. The way they sounded melodically. It was eerie how it reminded me of me; I'm not kidding. Obviously my playing was all over the lot as a young kid just prior to starting lessons, but the things I used to do were oddly coherent ... my Mom used to tell me that she was mystified at how I was able to create sounds and progressions that had logical structure, even though I had no idea what the hell I was doing. (I was just imitating Mom at the keyboard - make-believe!)

I can see how my description appears to denigrate Tanke's playing but I didn't mean it in that way at ALL ... it was a little startling to hear his music because it immediately conjured all those early memories. You would have had to be standing over my shoulder back in 1963 when as a first grader I was goofing around on piano to see what I'm on about, but no matter.

Jeff
toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 22 2007 at 6:38am
Freddie Hubbard,Herbie Hancock,Joe Henderson,and
Tony Williams.  Great trumpet players must be spot on. The instrument
is so "In your Face" there is not much room for error. Freddie Cooks !
Great improv from great players is a total learning expirience.
Hope you like it.
toad
Down, and nearly out in Detroit......
toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 22 2007 at 7:00am
"Stolen Moments" - Oliver Nelson-Tenor sax..
Eric Dolphy-Alto sax & flute..Freddie Hubbard-Trumpet..George Barrow-
Bari sax, with Bill Evans on piano. Close your eyes and listen. This tune
will transport you to another place...
enjoy !
toad
toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 22 2007 at 7:18am
"Senor Blues" 1959 Horace Silver
Sounds like it was recorded yesterday. I can't believe that I was only
15 years old when this concert took place.
Horace is one of the true greats....WOW !!!!
toad
Gene_Leone_Mix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 22 2007 at 8:06am
Jeff here's another one...

This is cool...

Michael Hedges - "Because It's There"

on "Harp Guitar"

(Toad we need to make one of these! *lol*)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 22 2007 at 8:28am
And I have to add this one...

note same piano, same room in Amsterdam...
one of my personal all time favorite artists...
(i've been working on an entire thread to Gino Vanelli... soon!)

Gino Vannelli
-
Michiel Borstlap and Gino Vannelli "Brother to Brother"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIc9Tc4GwU4
and...
Gino Vanelli "Brother to brother" with Mark Craney

and...
Gino Vannelli "Brother to Brother" Metropole Orchestra

Northsea Jazz Festival with the Metropole Orchestra conducted by Dick Bakker
and...
back from "Brother to Brother Tour" that really got things going

Ah yes, back in the late 70's... back when record labels, venues, and record stores
all occasionally helped to nurture great performances from great artists!

I saw this tour concert live, and it was fantasticl

toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 22 2007 at 10:18am
Charlie Hunter- Eight string guitar playing the Guitar
and bass lines at the same time~ far out , man !
toad
Jeff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 22 2007 at 10:24am
Toad and Geno!... Excellent posts.

Toad, you put up some great jazz. You can keep that stuff coming until the end of time, as far as I'm concerned.

(I hope we don't wig out folks who don't like jazz and get them thinking this is only a jazz/fusion/progressive thread ... it's not!)

Gene, I'm looking forward to that Vannelli thread! We've talked about this and you know I'm a big fan. Thanks for putting these up. His stuff was so good ... and what a kickass band. Those early albums still kill me.

There is probably good quality video on DVD out there somewhere of Michael Hedges in performance that you can buy; for those who never got the chance to see him play, I highly recommend finding a legit copy of well produced video. I remember watching - years ago - a Windham Hill "Live" concert from Wolf Trap with Will Ackerman and Michael Hedges ... that one may be available from Windham Hill's website, or from Amazon. I'll have to look.

Jeff
toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 22 2007 at 4:25pm
This is due for a re-release....HUH?
Click on the pic

toad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 22 2007 at 5:10pm
Toad the one you put up above lead me to this one,
which is cool with the subtitles...
and this video with the subtitles could sort of like double as
"jazz piano for the hearing impaired", possibly? *lol*
or for watching piano performances late at night with the sound off.

Great smooth instructional performance! I like it!

((( note: this killer thread continues on the next page! )))

toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 22 2007 at 6:21pm
Excuse me if I jerk some tears out of you.
click the pic
The best,
toad
M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 22 2007 at 11:33pm
WOW... I need to catch up over here!!!! 

Mixey
Jeff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2007 at 1:33am
Moxy Fruvous was a Toronto-based band.

They put out several fine albums and had a large cult following. The band broke up a few years ago; the various members continue to do their own thing. 

These guys were excellent musicians, GREAT singers, and very clever writers. (Intellectual leanings, maybe ...) and they were absolutely fabulous live in concert. The guys were very interactive with their audience and interspersed their live songs with comedic bits and commentary. They put on a great show, enhanced by great production (lights and sound). When I saw them they were hilarious AND incredible. They had the crowd in their hands all night - something you rarely see. Standing ovations and multiple encores. These guys rated as one of the top 10 best live performances I've yet seen.

Their act is captured on a great live CD that shows their considerable talents and I highly recommend this one ... "Live Noise" ...

Here's a video I found of one of their tunes. The quality of the video copy isn't so hot but you'll get the idea... the song is called "My Baby Loves A Bunch Of Authors"

Jeff
Jeff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2007 at 1:55am

Since we've been posting videos that show interesting approaches to guitar playing (AND interesting guitars) this next one is a no-brainer.

Also happens to be performed by my hands-down favorite musician on the planet - Pat Metheny. About time I copped to that. Anyway Pat commissioned luthier Linda Manzer to build "a guitar with as many strings as possible"... the result is The Pikasso Guitar, shown below.

Pat plays this on the video below. This video is a double-shot - Pat plays a solo piece called "Into The Dream" followed by a PMG number "Have You Heard"...

Jeff
Jeff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2007 at 2:27am

Another Pat post ... some "World Music" ... an interesting composition from his PHENOMENAL album "Secret Story".

This is called  "Above The Treetops"

TOAD!.. Check out the axe Pat plays on this video ... good close-up shot of it near the end ... the "flames" remind me of your gorgeous pieces.

Jeff
Jeff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2007 at 6:08am
Big Bands ... very much a part of my musical underpinnings. I was a trombone player from 3rd grade through high school. Back in the day I had the good fortune to play in some pretty fine stage bands. There is nothing like the sensation of sitting in the midst of a hard swinging group, blasting through a wild uptempo arrangement ... it's a thrill in the truest sense of the word.

In the 1970s legendary trumpeter Maynard Ferguson was in top form and fronting some of the wildest big bands you ever heard. Ferguson was one of the first players to master the "upper register" - playing a seemingly impossible octave above other players. On trumpet this is an absolutely electrifying sound, and it became Ferguson's trademark. Many trumpet players have gone on to notch this skill but in the day Ferguson's performances were unmatched in their range and virtuosity.

Ferguson was even capable of the herculean feat of circular breathing - essentially the ability to breathe in and out at the same time (!) enabling a player to hold a note for minutes at a time. I once saw Ferguson do something I've never seen anyone else do - he held a triple high C for approximately 20 seconds at the close of a number ... the crowd went absolutely bananas.

THE IMPORTANT THING ABOUT THIS VIDEO IS THE SOUNDTRACK...

I found a "tribute" to Ferguson on YouTube. It's a series of still images of Ferguson and some of his albums. The reason I posted this is because it may be the only video on all of YouTube to feature one of my favorite Maynard Ferguson numbers from his MF Horn 2 album from 1972 ... "Give It One". This piece is the perfect snapshot of the turbocharged Ferguson sound. To get the full effect - Put on your headphones, or plug in some good speakers and CRANK IT UP!

Jeff
Jeff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2007 at 7:36am
CIRCULAR BREATHING ...

I mentioned it in the Maynard Ferguson post above. Essentially, this is the ability to exhale, draw in additional air, AND sustain  a note - simultaneously.

If you're not familiar with this very difficult technique, watch the video below. It demonstrates what circular breathing can acheive - the ability to create long, unbroken phrases that flow together without the need to pause (stopping the music) to take a breath. It's pretty amazing.

(Even if this flutist couldn't do circular breathing, he'd still be a damn good player)

Jeff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2007 at 11:42am

Jeff... Circular Breathing... what an amazing concept!
Cool!!!

Ok, I posted this video in the Smokey Robinson thread,
and this classic little seen video needs to be
in here with "great performances" too,,,

Smokey Robinson and the Miracles - Ooh Baby Baby

— Vocals only, TV Track only & then... All Together Mix! —
Showcasing Smokey Robinson and the Miracles' amazing Vocals and
the Funk Brothers on the Backing Track.

How cool!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2007 at 12:12pm

And one of my all time favorite
Vocal A Cappella Gospel Groups...

The Incredible
— Take 6 —

— Take 6 Holiday Classic—

— Take 6 Live at The Apollo —

With a staggering eighteen Grammy-Award nominations, Take 6 is the most nominated Gospel, Jazz, Pop or R&B artists in Grammy history.

s. p. a. t. View Drop Down
AdminTeam
AdminTeam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s. p. a. t. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2007 at 1:10pm
WOW

THIS THREAD KICKS ASS!

George
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 19>
  Share Topic