Soulful Planet  Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Soul of Six > Music General > Multi*Platinum Stellar Threads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GREAT PLAYERS ... GREAT PERFORMANCES! - Event Date: Sep 19 2007

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 19>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: GREAT PLAYERS ... GREAT PERFORMANCES!
    Posted: Sep 19 2007 at 10:39am

Hey there everybody! Here's the forum where you can share a video or a story about a great performance that sticks out in your mind ... a favorite that you saw live in person, or on a video, or on television. Share your memorable moments here!... If you can find a YouTube video of your great performance that you can post here, please do so! Enlighten us all. I'd like to see all kinds ... a great instrumental performance, or a band, a singer/songwriter, poet, orator, comedian, opera ... whatever it is!

I decided to kick this off - appropriately enough - by sharing a video of a GREAT PERFORMANCE by a GREAT PLAYER ... playing the National Anthem ... traditionally done prior to the start of some public events.

The video is a solo electric bass performance, played by Jeff Berlin, an amazing musician who has done some of the most startling things on a Fender bass since Jaco Pastorius.

Ladies and Gentlemen ... our National Anthem ...

Jeff
Gene_Leone_Mix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 19 2007 at 6:11pm
Jeff!!!

This is a

S T U N N I N G   P E R F O R M A N C E !!!

Oh to be able to play like this
Jeff Berlin is fantastic...

Jeff, Thank You for posting this one!
Smiles,
Geno

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 20 2007 at 7:08am
Jeff,
...and now I can't stop watching this one too...

Jeff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 20 2007 at 8:15am
Geno!...

Yeah ... Jeff is a monster player! Glad you're enjoying his stuff! You should hit his MySpace page and say hello... the link there is in my first post, above.

I was first introduced to Jeff's work through the FANTASTIC "Bruford" albums that were released back in 1978, 79, and 80 ... (Allan Holdsworth/guitar and later John Clarke/guitar, Dave Stewart/keys, Jeff Berlin/Bass, and Bill Bruford/drums) Talk about a scary band ...

The music on these LPs/CDs is incredible. Jeff's playing was unbelievably strong and melodic and it really caught my ear. The list of people he's played with reads like a who's who.
Jeff
toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 20 2007 at 1:26pm
One of my favorite clips
LOL,
toad
Down, and nearly out in Detroit......
toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 20 2007 at 1:45pm
Marcus Miller- "Power"
Jazz funk to the max !!!
LOL,
toad
Jeff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 20 2007 at 1:52pm
HA HA HA!... Yeah!

Cool, Toad!  Thanks for these! (All the bass loving freaks are showing their colors ...)

1975 - 1976 were unbelievable years for fusion! In 1975 I saw Return To Forever play before an audience of about 500 people ... they were touring "Romantic Warrior"... WOW! Fireworks!

And in '76 - among other great concerts I'll mention here at another time - I got to see Stanley tour his album "School Days" - the title of the song on your video. Thanks for sharing that!!! Great stuff from three of the premier bass players out there.

Marcus Miller got the funk. For sure.

Keep it coming folks!... I want to see more great performances!!!!!!!!

Jeff
M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 20 2007 at 2:10pm
OMG!!! Check out this guy. . .

Bill Clements. . . playing bass with 1 hand. . . Unreal!!!

Mixey
Jeff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 20 2007 at 2:22pm
Okay, I know I've posted this elsewhere - but some folks may not have seen this yet, and they should see it. It DOES meet the requirement of this forum for being a great performance by a great player...

David Sancious is a pioneering jazz fusion artist and remains one of the most highly sought-after musicians on the scene today. There're good reasons why he has backed world tours and albums for Sting, Peter Gabriel, Seal, Santana, and too many others to mention here ... obvious reasons why his signature keyboard work elevated Bruce Springsteen's early albums to another level ... why his solo albums with his ensemble "Tone" are high water marks of Jazz Fusion. These reasons should become evident when you watch this video.

(Footnote: I am proud AND GRATEFUL to have had Gene Leone mix this live concert, and very proud to have manned one of the cameras, and directed and produced this video on December 2, 2005. Thanks Geno and The "D Street Crew!")

Jeff
M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 20 2007 at 2:25pm
That's for sure Jeff. David's phenomenal; and I love that DVD!!!!

Mixey
Jeff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 20 2007 at 2:26pm
Holy Cow, Mixey ...

Bill Clements has my respect. Makes my hand tired just watching that.
Jeff
Jeff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 20 2007 at 2:33pm
Oh, by the way Mixey ...

Those Bruford albums I referenced above ... on the first Bruford album - "Feels Good To Me" - Annette Peacock is a featured vocalist!

And Annette does her very special thing ... AMAZINGLY evocative performances on that album. You would love it ... I bought a CD copy not too long ago; it should still be available!
Jeff
toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 20 2007 at 2:56pm
 A guy on you tube playing one of my
most loved tunes "Freedom Jazz Dance" - Eddie Harris
He does a pretty good job on a tough tune...nice improv by this guy.
toad
M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 20 2007 at 3:04pm
I know Jeff...

I looked for her on the video, and she was cut out... I have that album. It's excellent!!!! Thanks.

Annette just wrote me saying she met David Sancious & his lovely wife at some parties in Woodstock.

Annette was responsible for hooking up Mike Garson, who was a Jazz pianist and working with her at the time, with David Bowie... and it turned into a 30 year collaboration.

Here's Mike Garson doing his "NOW Music" improv & then Willem Tanke doing his interpretation of a bird song by Oliver Messiaen (check out the hand roll technique!!!) Then Mike & Willem doing an improv duo. It was recorded in Amsterdam a short time ago.

Mixey
M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 20 2007 at 3:22pm
This is the Bill Bruford video of which I was speaking, Jeff. Look at the lineup on this. . . 1979... Jeff Berlin in front. Pretty cool stuff, but Annette was on it too and not shown in the video:

Interesting keyboard work on that post Toad.

Mixey

Jeff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 20 2007 at 11:40pm
Great Posts, Toad and Mixey!

Toad, that was another cool piece. I really liked the song. I wanted to see another camera shot or two after a while, but what the hey... a very funky number! I'm catchin' on to you....

Mixey, two great posts. I have seen those Bruford video clips and I never thought they'd show up here so soon! I love ya. It's probably the best video (of what little is out there) of that band, from that time. You're right, I haven't seen any of the songs she sang on in that video program ... wonder what's up with that? Maybe she was not there in the country when this gig occurred.

The Garson & Tanke thing ... LOL  Garson's piano kicks ass! And Tanke's bit was interesting; the hand roll!.. (are those notes written??  lol) I have to be honest with you... his first solo piece reminded me of the  random bangings I would do as a very young boy at my mother's piano before I'd had any lessons. I would sit there and just form my own goofy "chords"... some things that hit were interesting and others were horrible ... but I used to love to do that at 5 and 6 years old.

Great stuff ... keep it coming folks... let's see some more ...

Jeff
Jeff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 21 2007 at 12:04am
One amazing musician who is sadly no longer with us is Michael Hedges.

Hedges turned the lexicon of acoustic guitar on it's head in the early 80s with his startling approach to acoustic guitar, creating rhythm lines with the left hand via hammer-ons and pull-offs, and melodies and accents with the right hand with all manner of slaps, slides, plucks, tweaks, and you name it. Often imitated but never duplicated - his albums for Windham Hill and his solo releases pushed the confines of what could be done on guitar waaaayy out there.

I saw Michael play live many times and I miss those shows ... such a treat. Hedges was a fearless, humorous, and innovative performer. Most of the YouTube video that exists is of sketchy quality but I wanted to share one of my favorite compositions of his: "Aerial Boundaries"...

Jeff
M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 21 2007 at 2:09am
WOW !! Michael Hedges is really something. That's some technique!!! Beautiful!!!

Jeff. . .

Listen to Willem Tanke's performance with you eyes closed. . . and tell me if you feel any different about it.

Mixey
toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 21 2007 at 5:25am
The Master Dizzy Gillespie..[UNREAL]
with David Sanborn and Marcus Miller.
Dizzy was THE BEST

Jeff,
Michael Hedges clip was very cool.
The neck of his ax was on fire !
LOL,
toad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 21 2007 at 1:17pm

Jeff,
Toad,
M I X E Y
and
EVERYBODY
Wow!!!

T H I S
I S
A
F R E E K I N'
A W E S O M E
T H R E A D !!!

~I Loves Youse Guys!~
~BigSmiles,~
Geno

((((p.s... damn,,, this really kicks ass, big time!
more, more, more! and I'll be adding too, as soon as I can come up for air! *lol*... ok, I'm back to endless Mastering)))

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 19>
  Share Topic