Soulful Planet  Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Soul of Six > The Village > Balls N All
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

~Go Phillies In The 2008 & 2009+World Series!~

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2009 at 8:49pm
Several things, Mixey.

The root cause is the fact that Major league baseball has a LONG season. Over 160 games are played every year, not including the post season if you're lucky to make it that far. Playing 160+ games - roughly half of which are played on the road - is a GRIND. By the time September rolls around, everybody's tired. Physically AND mentally.

These guys enjoy an extraordinary standard of living but at the end of the day they're human beings. Everything that affects us day in and day out affects them too. A big difference between us and them is, these guys have to juggle life under the microscope. Bad days with the good ones. This is not easy. Many people might be surprised to learn that playing Major League Baseball is a lot harder than it looks, as are the pressures that are on these players.

Statistically, the odds of repeating as World Series champs are very low; even if you're a great team on paper. It hasn't happened very often. Yet many people believed The Phillies were the better team and were going to win it again. I think to a man, The Phillies believed this too. It was in their heads.

But this kind of belief can be a double-edged sword... it can instill a sense of premature relaxation... that things will "go our way" no matter what. And this can take the edge off a team's collective attitude if they're not hungry enough for success. I think The Yankees had something to prove this year; they had a much bigger monkey on their back than the Phillies did, and they seemed more motivated to shake that monkey off.

The Yankees had suffered a number of post-season collapses in the last decade and these collapses were very much in their minds. The pressure on them to win was tremendous. In my view The Phillies were still riding the wave of being World Champions, and that sheen hadn't worn off. Who was hungrier for the win? Perhaps the Yankees were this year.

I think The Phils worked hard to beat The Dodgers. They were very much focused on that team, having faced them last year in the same playoff and they were determined to show THEY were still the best team in the NL. They wanted that bad. And they did it! I think that they peaked in the Dodgers series; they put it all together on the field, with pitching and hitting and it looked easy. Unfortunately - and I don't think they realized it - that playoff victory emptied their emotional AND physical tank.

After The Dodgers, The Yankees were a letdown for them. The Phils assumed they would take them. But they played flat. The wind was out of their sails. An incredibly simple reality of being human beings .... where you just can't muster up the same fire, the intensity, or the will that you had just one week ago!

How can you play so strong one week, then just one week later play like a totally different team when nothing much has changed?

Because you're tired. Because you're worn out, mentally and physically, and you just can't get it up again... no matter how much trash you talk or how hard you swagger. Because you're human. And you're done. Even if your team is the better team.

In my mind, The Phils simply ran out of gas one week too soon. That's all. It's a shame for The Phillies; two World Series victories in a row would have been unprecidented glory for the franchise, and the city, and they all understood that ... but they couldn't will themselves to play like the superior team this time. The Yankees could, and I believe that's why they won instead.

Jeff
Jeff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2010 at 8:57pm
Going down to Citizens Bank Park tomorrow evening ... taking my sweetie and two neighbors ... gonna enjoy the sold out crowd, the vibe, the way-overpriced beers and the nice 100-level seats along the third base side ...   oh yeah.

And hopefully watch our Philles beat the Cardinals! ClapLOLWacko

Forecast for the game ... around 72 degrees at 7:05pm (gametime) with a slight chance of a roving thundershower ... but no matter.  Works for me!  If it dares to rain we'll stroll up to to the concessions level, grab some food and overpriced beers and watch the rain fall. 

It's baseball time!

Jeff
Gene_Leone_Mix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2010 at 11:26am
Jeff!!!

Awesome!!!

And we also hope
that You
resisted
the incredible urge
to
run out on the field
and get tasered!

*LoL*

(((What in the world is this running out on the filed thing about?)))

....... and.........

May 5, 2010 12:48 PM - Posted by Kealan Oliver -www.cbsnews.com
Another Philly Fan Runs onto Field:

— The Sequel is Never as Good as the Original —

.... Go Figure!!!
And jeez, where did that guys' pants come from?
They better arrest them too!
Or would they need to hire the ball park fashion police for that?
*LoL*
What A Whacky World!

Jeff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2010 at 10:09pm
Geno!...  LOL

The game I attended was the one in which the second doofus ran out on the field!

First, the crowd booed ... and then - no lie - everyone started chanting:

"TASER! TASER! TASER! TASER!"  LOL   It was hilarious!  

There's certainly no shortage of dimwitted losers out there! 
Jeff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 02 2010 at 11:38pm
It's only August...
dare I utter...

G O P H I L L I E S

~BigSmiles,
Geno

Gene_Leone_Mix

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2010 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by Gene_Leone_Mix Gene_Leone_Mix wrote:

It's only August...
dare I utter...

G O P H I L L I E S

~BigSmiles,
Geno

Gene_Leone_Mix

Score Updates here: http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/scoreboard

and Standings here: http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/standings?tag=fastFacts.mlb;Standings

~~~~~~~
UPDATE SEPT 22, 2010

G O P H I L L I E S

~~~~~~~

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 27 2010 at 10:08am
UPDATE SEPT 27, 2010

Really hoping to Update this thread title.... 2008... 2009 ...and 2010

*LoL*

G O   P H I L L I E S
~~~~~~~

And as usual:

and Standings here: http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/standings?tag=fastFacts.mlb;Standings

UPDATE 10:00pm.....

PHILLIES CINCH FORTH STRAIGHT NL EAST CROWN-
Halladay's 2-hitter propels Philly to 8-0 win against Washington

"- The Philadelphia Phillies are the NL East champions for the fourth consecutive year and, fittingly, Roy Halladay helped seal the deal this time with a two-hitter..."
(Full NBC Story here)

WOW!!!
Really REALLY hoping to Update this thread title.... 2008... 2009 ...and 2010   

G O   P H I L L I E S
~~~~~~~

And again, as usual:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 27 2010 at 9:01pm
And oh... did I mention this 2 seconds ago in the thread above...

Go Phillies!!!!!!

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phillies/

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 06 2010 at 5:48pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 07 2010 at 4:27am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 10 2010 at 9:46pm
Friday, October 8th, 2010

Sunday, October (10/10/10) 10th, 2010

A M A Z I N G !!!

And again, as usual:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 23 2010 at 9:46pm
Now, down to the very Last Pitch of the game....
_
_

Oh no...........!
A Stunned Crowd of 46,062 watched the last pitch... a called strike with Howard left looking...
_
__

And after all of this in a great Phillies 2010 Season...
Thats it.... with the tying and winning runs left on base.

And so ends the game and the close for the Phillies 2010 season...
as The SF Giants celebrate their win, as they now head to the World Series.
Congratulations to The SF Giants.

Ouch!

And again, as usual:

~~~
p.s. and yes, I had this pic all ready to post again this year, as usual, for good luck,
if the Phillies would have won the 2010 post season, and made it to the World Series for the third year in a row....

__
(click here)

Go Phillies in 2011... yup, no doubt,
the Phillies will be back,
and yup,
this SoulfulPlanet Phillies Thread will keep going, too!

p.s.s. Mixey, where's that football bat? *LoL*

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2011 at 9:11am
People are talking spring & baseball ...

C'mon SPRING, SUMMER & all the good stuff that goes with it!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 07 2011 at 10:24pm

— CBSSports.com Baseball Scoreboard at a Glance —

——— http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/scoreboard ———
(Click here)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2012 at 10:56pm
Well, it's Spring 2012... and... get this...

Nationals and Phillies stirring things up in spring training
   By Associated Press, Published: March 22, 2012

TAMPA, Fla. — Move over Red Sox-Yankees, there’s a new rivalry brewing in baseball.

The Washington Nationals are tired of Phillies fans taking over their ballpark, so they’re trying to ban those red-clad rowdies from purchasing tickets for the first series between the teams in May.

Full www.washingtonpost.com Story, (click here)

Washington "Zip, Ban & Delete" is now hitting spring baseball, too?

What a world, indeed.

M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2012 at 8:01am
Are you kidding me Geno????

What a fricking wimpy way to behave! DC is only allowing THEIR fans to buy tickets?????? They should be ashamed of themselves!!!!

Why would ANY team agree to play in DC's ballpark?

If DC wants to control their ballpark so much, and they're boohooing about too many Philly fans showing up, maybe the Phillies should tell them to go ahead and keep their ballpark pristine and they can invite their proprietary crowd to watch their team play with themselves.

Mixey

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic