Soulful Planet  Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Soul of Six > Music Meccas
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Georgia

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Georgia
    Posted: Oct 24 2007 at 12:41pm
 ~ From Atlanta ~ The Black Crowes
Clik the pic                            "Jealous again"
Down, and nearly out in Detroit......
Soul Sister View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2007 at 4:23pm
How about these 'GA.' Artists:

BROTHER RAY CHARLES
James Brown  (Taccoa & Augusta)
Bobby Byrd  (Taccoa)
Little Richard  (Macon)
Otis Redding  (Macon)
Gladys Knight & The Pips  (Atlanta)

etc.......

Let's not forget the Chitlin` Circut's "Royal Peacock" in Atlanta.

S.S.
"Love Is The Answer" ~ Little Jeanie Scott
toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2007 at 5:16pm
  "The King" For Soul Sister
Click the pic
toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2007 at 5:24pm
 Bobby Byrd "I know you got Soul" ~ On the Soulful Planet....You know we do !!!!
toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2007 at 5:33pm
 James Brown W/ Ali ~ A great video
Click the Pic
toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2007 at 5:43pm
 Gladys and the Pips "Neither one of us"
Click the pic
toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2007 at 5:51pm
 Otis Redding ~ For Soul Sister
Click the Pic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2007 at 4:51am
AHA HA HA HA>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
LOVE IT!!! Thank you, Mr. toad!!! Like Bobby said...If you didn't have soul you wouldn't be here! LOL, LOL!!!

Very cool, who knew John Goodman could get down like that?!
James & Ali, awesome clip, did you see B.B. King up there jammin' too with ole Lucille. :)

And Gladys, Gladys, Gladys!!! No matter how many times she sings "Neither One Of Us" it never fails to give me chills.

My fave. by the big "O" Is 'I've Been Loving You Too Long"...that was a nice tribute clip though.

Thanks again, toad.
S.S.
kitten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kitten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2007 at 8:24am
Roy Hamilton

Otis Redding

Little Richard
when you have friends who needs enemies.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2007 at 3:57am
Hi Kitten,
Roy Hamilton lived in Jersey City, N.J.  His son was a friend of Smitty & I, Roy, Jr. sings too.  Hamilton's house was about 3 blocks from ours.

S.S.
Don1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2008 at 3:14am
Miss Millie Jackson

- Don
Johnny Joe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 18 2009 at 3:56pm
The Alman Bros. from Macon.
Chuck Leavell Bullard, GA
B52s Athens, GA
R.E.M. Athens, GA
Trisha Yearwood, Monticello, GA

Star

John Joseph
Bassist
s. p. a. t. View Drop Down
AdminTeam
AdminTeam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s. p. a. t. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 18 2009 at 6:33pm
Hello Johnny Joe!

Welcome to Soulful Planet! 

Thanks for posting.  Please introduce yourself in New Members too.

It's great to have you here. Star

Be reading you.

Sincerely,

S. P. A. T.
your Soulful Planet Administration Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2009 at 5:13am
Originally posted by toad toad wrote:

Gladys and the Pips "Neither one of us"
Click the pic

Many years ago I was standing in line at the Delta Airlines counters in Atlanta and this little lady in front of me was jumping around and talking. She was very cute and only about 5 foot tall or so. Very friendly and talkative. Her name is Gladys Knight. She was a hoot!

-jj
John Joseph
Bassist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2009 at 6:18am
A few weeks ago I had the pleasure of having David Gardner fill in on lead guitar with the covers band I'm playing with. David is 28 yrs. old and his world sort of ended when he was only 17 when his Nashville record producer died suddenly the project suddenly ended. David and I have played together in another band for a time. He has huge potential... rugged good lookes (very Nashville) great vocals, and growing constatnly in guitar skills.

Anyway, David's mother Mitzie is a real hoot. She is a major player with the Atlanta Music Hall of Fame. It is very much connected with the Georgia Music Hall of Fame. She has invited me to play at a few over events over the past couple years. It has been very much fun. About 3 weeks ago after playing until 2:00am I still got up Saturday morning and drove to Cabbage Town part of Atlanta to celebrate Fiddlin' John Carson's birthday.

http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/nge/Article.jsp?path=/TheArts/Music/CountryandFolk-2/IndividualArtistsandMusicalGroup-1&id=h-892

He would have been 141. He is credited with launching the country music business.  I played blue grass ALL day.

http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/nge/Article.jsp?path=/TheArts/Music/CountryandFolk-2/IndividualArtistsandMusicalGroup-1&id=h-892

Anyway, I just wanted to add a couple of links here about Georgia music and Atlanta music history.

Georgia Music Hall of Fame
http://www.georgiamusic.org/index.php

Atlanta Music Hall of Fame
http://www.accessatlanta.com/entertainment/content/entertainment/stories/2008/09/12/georgia_music_hall_of_fame.html

Last but certainly not the least is
SOJA - the Southeast Organization for Jazz Artists
http://soja-home.org/default.aspx
I have thoroughly enjoyed being a member of the organization and sitting practically beside the featured artist while they performed in someones home here in the Atlanta area. My personal favorite was standing in Dan Turner's (Sentimental Orchestra pianist) kitchen snacking and hanging with Neal Starkey leading jazz bassist for many years in this region. He allowed me to play his upright that evening for a short while.

FWIW, Atlanta/Georgia has become the Hip Hop Capital. I thought over the years I might have a better chance of being a little further up the road professionally speaking. I'm do not necessarily fit the profile for this genre'. I did audition for Akera Love Lee. It was almost scary to say the least. I was too vanilla I think.
http://www.myspace.com/akeralovelee1 (this is another story) funny(??) It was at her home with a video crew. A different thread another time.

Come enjoy Atlanta and Georgia.

JJ

John Joseph
Bassist
toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2009 at 8:23pm
          Johnny Joe,
      It's great to hear of the music scene in Georgia.
  This is the essence of what this Village is all about.
     We all get to learn about the artists and
 contributors of music from all parts of the world,
 and we also can freely discuss all types of music,
 without being limited in any regard.
      I am very glad you are taking the time to let us
all learn of what is going on in your world of music.
    I hope to hear more, as time goes by.
  Thanks,
 toad
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic