Soulful Planet  Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Soul of Six > Music General > Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

F.Y.E. Music Stores Closings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: F.Y.E. Music Stores Closings
    Posted: Jan 22 2009 at 9:04am
What is going on? Now that Towers and Coconuts stores are no more. Now there's no more FYE. All these music stores are drying up with fast. What's going on here some stock market takeover? Me thinks, there's too much fanaticism going on for me. I like to know what are your thoughts.

- Don 
Soul Sister View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2009 at 9:16am
Hi Don,
 I think that  people buy their music online now.  It's more convienant so the record stores are disappearing for lack of business.

Of course, I wouldn't want to see this happening to the remaining oldies, lost & rare soul, vynal record stores that we have left. 
Not many of them left either but they are highly prized!

S.S.
"Love Is The Answer" ~ Little Jeanie Scott
dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2009 at 9:23am
Hi Don,

I think Soul Sister is right on the money.  People not only buy their music online, they download from friends, etc..

I agree it's a shame to see these stores go out of business.  I hope the ones like Colony Records, Stan's Square Records, Clifton Music and others continue for years to come.

dream
http://cdbaby.com/cd/eugenepitt
Don1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2009 at 9:37am
Hi Sis & Dream,

I see where your both are coming from. You know at first I wasn't that taken with FYE stores at first. Though I did have a change of mind. The store sold new and used. When I got my paycheck, I was going to purchase some and a few CD'S - they had agreat selection of hard to finds and for a reasonable $.

When I got to the store it was abandoned. I'm not the richest person in the world but I rather not order online unless I really want a must have. Unless I'd have to ask somebody to order it for me and pay them too.

Ole Don don't have a charge plate credit card - lol.

- Don
MickeyMac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickeyMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2009 at 11:31am
Mixed emotions about FYE closing.  The prices they charged for CD's was outrageous, nearly $20, when the retail price is around $16.

This is one of the many reasons to support independent and local record stores, if you town has one.
Anybody else missing George Bush besides me?
Nostaljack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nostaljack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2009 at 12:14pm
No mixed emotions here really. I hate to see any record store chain close since we have so few of them but, really, FYE was pretty awful as a chain. As mentioned, their prices are too inflated. I was just there last night and I wasn't the least bit tempted to leave with anything. The staff was largely asleep at the wheel, and they don't really have anything anyway. I'm cool with the imminent demise of FYE.

Ed
MickeyMac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickeyMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2009 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by Nostaljack Nostaljack wrote:

No mixed emotions here really. I hate to see any record store chain close since we have so few of them but, really, FYE was pretty awful as a chain. As mentioned, their prices are too inflated. I was just there last night and I wasn't the least bit tempted to leave with anything. The staff was largely asleep at the wheel, and they don't really have anything anyway. I'm cool with the imminent demise of FYE.

Ed

You just described the FYE here.   I seldom go there and those places are lagregly geared to sell the current big sellers and the older stuff that people still buy.
Anybody else missing George Bush besides me?
Don1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 24 2009 at 11:22am
When FYE took over Coconuts where I live at first their prices we're reasonable. And later, I did see prices did become quite ridicules.

- Don
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic