Soulful Planet  Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > BC Beach > MUSIC RADIO ~ DJs ~ CHAT
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FELIX HERNANDEZ "RHYTHM REVUE"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2007 at 6:44am
Felix's is playing The Spaniels (a group's group) doing "Your Gonna Cry", Pookie's young voice was so easy & sweet.

S.S.
"Love Is The Answer" ~ Little Jeanie Scott
dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2007 at 6:48am
I've always loved that picture of you and Smitty, S.S.  He looks so happy there and you can take comfort in the fact he had you and your love when he passed.  His mother was grateful for that and I know you remained close to her for years.

PLAY IT FELIX!!!  DOO WOP!!!  Pookie has always been one of my faves.  May he Rest In Peace...

dream
http://cdbaby.com/cd/eugenepitt
Soul Sister View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2007 at 6:53am
True that, dream, thanks.

Felix's is playing The Jive Bombers "Bad Boy", I've loved that song since I was a child!  You go Felix!!

Now "Zing"!!!

S.S.
kitten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kitten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2007 at 8:20am
I know the show is over but my husband wants to add to and to  contribute to the discussion. And says he's not mad because it's water under the bridge.

He said when Felix played Charlie & Inez Foxx's "Monkingbird", says he 's not saying he wrote the song, but his group the Vows-Majors did the vocal arrangement for the tune., though his group isn't on the record. He says no disrespect to the Foxx's. But they learned and sang the song exactly to his vocal arrangement.

He says..."I know how how the song arrangement got to the Foxx's and their label at the time. It was through my manager. Remember when there used to be adverts in publications in magazines advertizing for songs, lyrics, leadsheets to be publ'd for $$$, he says my manager was good for that. People don't believe I know every tune my group has ever done from the very first to the last songs, and afterwards. My manager simply sent the copy she had tranfered to another reel of "Monkingbird. Which I knew about her reel to reel.
After I left the group for the third or fourth time, she sold a lot of my arrangements and songs I'd actually written all on my own, and slapt her name and gave credit to others which didn't have anything to do with my songs or arrangements, not to come off as sounding or being negative, that didn't have the mind-set to write, as much as I try to help them with material they brought to the table, and they all wanted what I had left behind Plain and simple. They were originals, standards [of others tunes], etc, of arrangements we'd do better. To make a long story short the Vows-Majors used to rehearse "Mockingbird" and do gigs doing bg vox with singer Joyce Kennedy. IF I had of known what I know now, I wouldn't have left behind material."

c/o: Larry Montgomery

Kitten

when you have friends who needs enemies.
dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2007 at 12:26pm
That's very interesting, Kitten & Larry.

It seems so many"managers" took advantage of the artists back in the day.  You hear stories all the time about them taking credit for writing songs they had nothing to do with.  I've heard stories about arrangers and DJ's doing the same thing.

"Mockingbird" is a great song and the vocal arrangement is one of the things that makes it.  It's nice to know we're communicating with the person (Larry) who did it.  We'll give you credit here even though you didn't get it when you should have.

Kitten, you and Larry have a wealth of information that I'm really enjoying hearing about.  My thanks to Larry too.Smile

dream
kitten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kitten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2007 at 3:12am

I'm Sorry Dream I didn't mean to dump on your post babe.

"Mockinbird" was one of Joyce's show tunes she used to do at shows. But my husband had fun listening to Charlie & Inez' version, it really goes to show that how much influence a song has on r&b and soul lovers especially fans. And to Fekix Hernandez -- "Don't Stop The Music"
I enjoy your show a lot more than ever.

c/o: Larry Montgomery of the Chicago group
The Vow's, Major's, Major IV

kitten
dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2007 at 3:28am
"These Golden Rings"  Gene Pitt & The Jive Five!!!!!

PLAY IT FELIX!!!!!  One of my faves by them!!ClapClapClapClapClap

dream

P.S.  Kitten!!!  You didn't dump on my post, Sweetie.  There's nothing to apologize for.Smile
Gene_Leone_Mix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2007 at 3:52am

Dream,
*LOL* I heard it too and I just posted in the

~Internet Radio Streams - Great DJ's & Shows!!!~

Thread too *lol*

Busy Internet Radio Day Saturday!
*lol*
~Enjoy~
Geno
dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2007 at 3:56am
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!!!!!!!!

Geno, we were posting at the same time.  While you were posting this, I was posting in the other internet radio thread.  Great minds think alike.LOL

Felix is doing a nice tribute today to Miss ETTA JAMES one of my favorite female singers of all time.  ETTA YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!!Thumbs%20Up

dream

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2007 at 5:50am
Gene Chandler "What Now"!
Laura Lee "Every Little Bit Hurts"

Sock-it-to-em Felix!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

S.S.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2007 at 7:17am
He played 'Smitty' doing "Follow Your Heart".

Etta & Harvey!

Bobby Taylor's "Matilda"!

James Brown & others in a medley of "Then You Can Tell Me Goodbye", I always loved JB's soulful version, I had it on my "Raw Soul" album of his 'back in the day', one of his best albums, imo, lol!!!

Nice, Felix & Ida too!

Jeanie
dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 10 2007 at 3:39am
ALL REQUEST DAY today on Rhythm Revue!!!!

GO FELIX!!!!!!!!!!

He played  Jackie Wilson singing one of my very favorite songs, the standard, "Body and Soul".  SING IT JACKIE!!!!!!!!!!!

GREAT SHOW FELIX!!!  You never disappoint!!ClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClap

dream

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 10 2007 at 3:58am
dream,
I can't tell you how emotional it was for me to hear sweet Jackie's beautiful voice crooning first thing this morning, I LOVE it!!! It doesn't get any better than that!
Solid on that!

Thumbs%20UpFelix, you go boy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Keep sock-in-it-to-me, lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You know what I like to hear. 0:>)

Jeanie
kitten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kitten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 10 2007 at 4:05am
Hi Dream

I don't often hear classic arranged songs of Jackie's hardly anymore. Before I could hear on radio his whole repertoire.

kitten
dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 10 2007 at 4:32am
Soul Sister,  I know how close you and Jackie were and how good he was to you when "Smitty" passed.  That shows the true character of the man in spite of his faults.  We all have them (faults) but when we override our demons and think about someone else's pain, it s a good thing!!  Jackie was a great entertainer and a good person at heart.  I loved hearing that song this morning.  I even love Satchmo's version of the song.  It's one of the most beautiful songs of all time, lyrically and melodically.Smile

Hi Kitten!!  Felix plays a lot of Jackie Wilson.  I think you'll hear at least one song a week.  He's the best!!Thumbs%20Up

dream

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 10 2007 at 4:47am
True that, dream,
 Jackie was a complex man with a big heart underneath all that bravado, lol.
"Body And Soul"  is a classic, one of those standards everybody has either sung or recorded one time or another.

Felix just played my "most favorite" Linda Jones song "That's When I'll Stop Loving You"!!!

Just played the underrated, talented "Fat Boy", Billy Stewart himself.  he was unique & could sang!!

Got about 2 hours to 'play' (lol) before taking the dog to the Vet, then going to the hairdresser. Going to a
 'Native American Pow Wow' tomorrow in Henderson, Nevada, then we leave for Chicago early monday morning to do the "Legends in Jazz" t.v. show.  BTW dream, the show will be taped over two days 13th. & 14th. but will air at a later date. I'll keep you posted.

Felix is playing "Pookie Hudson" now.

S.S.
dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 10 2007 at 5:09am
Linda Jones is the BOMB!!!  I LOVE her voice.  She's become one of my top five female singers.

I'm glad to hear the show will air at a later date.  That gives me time to call my local PBS affiliate to see if they plan to air the show.  They'd better!!!LOL  If not, they'll hear loud protests from me.  I want to get my friends here to watch the show too.  They need to see what's so special about Jimmy.Smile

Felix is really playing some great songs today.  The listeners have good taste!!  Al Green "Take Me To The River", "Tighten Up" Archie Bell & The Drells and on and on!!!

dream

OOOOOOOOOOO - The Heartbeats "A Thousand Miles Away" - GREAT doo wop tune!!!Clap
kitten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kitten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 10 2007 at 5:19am
Not to spoil it. My son is listening to the show. He had to get up and walk away when he heard the Chgo rnb band Smoke City's "dreams". He can't stand the song. I remember when he composed and arranged the some in the very early eighties. He just said their {SC}original drummer stole it thru my son's then bass player friend. Two, three of the members lived in the neighborhood. There are three other tunes that's on Smoke City's 1st lp that came out on Columbia. Their drummer was known for stealing tunes and taking it back to the band. After a lot of bands and voc groups  and broke up where we live, that's when Smoke City brokeup after the 2nd lp.  What is being said, they weren't talented as musicians, singers & writers. A friend of my son says someone had to come in get other studio session players to record it best they can My son says, we can hear it on the rest of the 1st lp and on the 2nd lp for Columbia. My son just wants all to know he's not being "N", meaning "Negative".... but he wants to explain, he wants us to know not to hold it against him.

c/o: DON

kitten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kitten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 10 2007 at 5:21am
We both thought the Womacks "magic" and Bobby ft. Patti "Love Has Finally Come At Last was thee 2 best songs that were released in 85.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 10 2007 at 5:31am
OWEEEE....HE'S PLAYING "BLOODSTONE", THOSE CATS ARE BAD LIKE THAT!

Do it to it, Felix!  Boy, does the feel bring back memories of the era.

S.S.

AHHHHHHHH........dream! I told you Linda would grow on you, lol!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
  Share Topic