Soulful Planet  Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > BC Beach > * Guest Parking *
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Edward E Goetz "TOAD" died...  OMG NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Edward E Goetz "TOAD" died... OMG NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
AdminTeam
AdminTeam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s. p. a. t. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2013 at 5:41pm
Beautiful Geno!

Rest In Peace my friend.

Mixey
s. p. a. t. View Drop Down
AdminTeam
AdminTeam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s. p. a. t. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 19 2013 at 3:07pm
Ralph...

Your communication has been moved to Guest Parking in this thread:

GENERIC... Whatever You Want To Talk About .

Mixey, Bruce & Char
S. P. A. T.
Average Arizona Drum View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Average Arizona Drum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2013 at 3:52pm
Last year I lost one of my best friends. He was a frequent visitor to this site and a avid supporter of the history of the Detroit music scene.
I met Ed “Toad” Goetz when I was 12 years old. He pulled up driving his Cushman Eagle Scooter. I was impressed and thought he was the coolest kid I ever met. My cousin Bob Yockey had known him for a while and was aware that he played the guitar. Bob and I were in a trio called the “3 Acorns” This was cool stuff when you were 12 years old. Somehow we hooked up with Ray Monette, and we picked up a singer, Dave Kurth. We started out as the Del Royals but soon changed the name of the group to the “Electra’s” in response to the newest jet plane called the Electra. We played local dances and started our own teen dance club called “Cobo Small” (local) We rented an IOOF hall, hired some off-duty cops, and bought a few cases of Coke and some potato chips. Voilá, a teen club was born. We charged a couple of bucks at the door and averaged 100 people each Saturday. Toad was self-appointed head of security, and he handled fights by screaming into the mike that someone had lost their pants. This was clue for the cops to intervene.
We were rebels in as much as we played whatever we wanted and as loud as we could. We were at a Catholic school dance and the nuns complained about the volume. We packed up and left. For one summer we were the house band at the old “Village” on Woodward and West Grand Boulevard. It was our introduction to the underbelly of Detroit. Drugs, women of the night, and the last of the beatniks. We were only 16-17 and our parents would have dragged us out of there had they known what went on.
Toad worked nights and weekends for his dad at the family radiator repair shop. It was a magical place with strange tools, torches glowing, and absolutely black with the soot of the torches. His dad , Ed senior, was a soothsayer and had advice on every subject. He was an avid alcoholic and drank copious amount of Seagrams VO with warm water. His capacity was legendary and probably helped Toad to not go down the same road of behavior. This was all during the Vietnam war. Eventually Toad was drafted and went to Fort Knox for basic training. He was actually on a bus taking them to the airport for his flight to Vietnam. His mother has worked furiously to prove that Ed senior was near death and the family desperately needed Ed to run the business. It worked, and he was pulled from the bus. After hanging out at Fort Knox, he finally was discharged and sent home.
        The Electra’s broke up and we all went our separate ways. Ray and I hooked up with Bob Babbitt and Mike Campbell/Champion. We played the topless bar circuit and sleazy clubs on Michigan Avenue. Ed worked at the radiator shop, and I moved on to a real job. Andrew ?????? replaced me on drums. Ray, Bob, and Mike soon got serious and formed the group Scorpion. Toad rejoined the group as a producer and played a large part in helping them develop enough music to cut a recording. Toad proved to be an excellent hand at engineering and did a great deal of the studio work for the album.
        Toad was married twice. In the 60’s he married Nancy. Shortly after the wedding, Nancy developed multiple sclerosis or MS. After years of fighting MS, Nancy lapsed into a coma. Through many years, Toad visited her almost every day until her passing. Ten years after her death he married Virginia, the love of his life. Virginia contracted cancer and again Toad stayed by her side until her death after 12 years of marriage.
A list of Toad’s other accomplishments include:
     Successfully managed his family radiator repair business
     Invented and developed a revolutionary automotive cooling system
     Manufactured a line of fishing lures on automated equipment he designed and built One of his lures, Jethros Shotgun is highly sought after by collectors
     Owned and operated a sporting goods store
     Published a book on bass fishing techniques
     Helped form the group “Flash Geezer” with Bob Yockey, Ray Monette, Robert Jones, Spyder Webb, Treaty Womack, and Delbert Nelson
     He built guitars and basses. (Bob Babbitt, Eddie Willis, Colton Weatherston, Bobby Eley, Mixey, Bob Yockey, and Ray Monette all play his guitars and basses).

Ed, (Toad) was everybody’s friend and for many of us he was our banker as well. He was a mentor to many. He gave me a job when I was in the depths of alcoholism. I will never forget him for taking a giant chance in doing that. There isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t think of him, and I hope that never changes. There isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t think about him and end up with a big grin on my face.
Toad was too well loved to every be forgotten

Average Arizona Drummer , (Rick Bailey)
Last year I lost one of my best friends. He was a frequent visitor to this site and a avid supporter of the history of the Detroit music scene. I met Ed “Toad” Goetz when I was 12 years old. He pulled up driving his Cushman Eagle Scooter. I was impressed and thought he was the coolest kid I ever met. My cousin Bob Yockey had known him for a while and was aware that he played the guitar. Bob and I were in a trio called the “3 Acorns” This was cool stuff when you were 12 years old. Somehow we hooked up with Ray Monette, and we picked up a singer, Dave Kurth. We started out as the Del Royals but soon changed the name of the group to the “Electra’s” in response to the newest jet plane called the Electra. We played local dances and started our own teen dance club called “Cobo Small” (local) We rented an IOOF hall, hired some off-duty cops, and bought a few cases of Coke and some potato chips. Voilá, a teen club was born. We charged a couple of bucks at the door and averaged 100 people each Saturday. Toad was self-appointed head of security, and he handled fights by screaming into the mike that someone had lost their pants. This was clue for the cops to intervene. We were rebels in as much as we played whatever we wanted and as loud as we could. We were at a Catholic school dance and the nuns complained about the volume. We packed up and left. For one summer we were the house band at the old “Village” on Woodward and West Grand Boulevard. It was our introduction to the underbelly of Detroit. Drugs, women of the night, and the last of the beatniks. We were only 16-17 and our parents would have dragged us out of there had they known what went on. Toad worked nights and weekends for his dad at the family radiator repair shop. It was a magical place with strange tools, torches glowing, and absolutely black with the soot of the torches. His dad , Ed senior, was a soothsayer and had advice on every subject. He was an avid alcoholic and drank copious amount of Seagrams VO with warm water. His capacity was legendary and probably helped Toad to not go down the same road of behavior. This was all during the Vietnam war. Eventually Toad was drafted and went to Fort Knox for basic training. He was actually on a bus taking them to the airport for his flight to Vietnam. His mother has worked furiously to prove that Ed senior was near death and the family desperately needed Ed to run the business. It worked, and he was pulled from the bus. After hanging out at Fort Knox, he finally was discharged and sent home. The Electra’s broke up and we all went our separate ways. Ray and I hooked up with Bob Babbitt and Mike Campbell/Champion. We played the topless bar circuit and sleazy clubs on Michigan Avenue. Ed worked at the radiator s
Gene_Leone_Mix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2013 at 8:29pm
Hi Rick... (Average Arizona Drummer, (Rick Bailey))

Beautiful story... and well told.
And Thank You for adding it in here.

Toad touched so many of our lives,
in so many incredible ways, and we all miss him like crazy.
Oh also, Rick, don't forget about the guitars that Toad hand crafted
for the two of us over here in Philly...
Bobby Eli's - "Honey" & "Purple Haze",
and the guitar he made for me,
(Gene_Leone_Mix) - "ToadMeister".

And You are so right about...
'not a day goes by without thinking about Toad'.

In fact, I go back re-reading so many of the threads here on Soulful Planet containing all of our back and forth conversations and thoughts, and laughter... much laughter... laughing with Toad,
and Toad's sharp wit and admiring Toad's brilliance... and totally forgetting, while reading his words...
... that Toad, has indeed, passed on.

How can that be possible? Toad was so alive. And his words, thoughts, his love to so many, his kindness, along with his calling out to those questionable humans hell bent on messing stuff up, *lol*,
and his smile and laughter, are all very much alive, and live on, right here, very much in the present tense suspended in time, in his own thoughts and words...
...just as he left them.

Ahhh Toad, we all really miss Ya, Brother!
RIP

~Gene

~~~~~~~~~~~

Remembering Toad... always.
RIP...
~Geno

— Edward E. "Toad" Goetz — Photo by: Miriam Wilson —

AdminTeam
AdminTeam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s. p. a. t. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2013 at 8:22pm
Rick,

Thank you so very much for posting your wonderful tribute to Ed!

I'm glad you mentioned his wives. We talked about them both quite a lot; about his frustrations over how they were being treated medically and how much he loved them each in different ways.

There's no finite quota to how much love you can have to give. Some people live their lives as if they'll run out, and so they're miserly with their love. That's not how our Toad lived his life. Makes me cry thinking about that!

I hope our friend's death came swiftly and he wasn't afraid. I keep wondering about this and it's upsetting. He had just put his little Angel to rest too, and I know he missed her so much.

For sure Ed's being held in God's grace now for the wonderful guy he was on this earth, very human and wonderful.

Missing you so much Toad. xo

Mixey
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Average Arizona Drum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 06 2013 at 7:46pm
I remember when I was playing with Babbitt and Ray Monette at the Michigan Ave dives. Bob would beat me up on a regular basis. Now for those of you who endured being wailed on my Bob know, it hurt!!!!!! Toad showed up one night and I ask him how to avoid these beatiings. He said "Two Words" "Boxing Lessons" That was classic Toad
Average Arizona Drummer.
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Average Arizona Drum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 06 2013 at 7:49pm
I know Toad told stories about working with Snick aqnd himself in the Radiator Shop. How do I find those threads?
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Average Arizona Drum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 06 2013 at 7:51pm
I'm the snick he talks about

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2013 at 5:25pm
OMG! SNICK!!!
Yes, Glad to see You here again...

Ok... Snick, the link is still here, in "The Village":

Soulful Planet Forums > Soul of Six > The Village     
Topic: toad & Snick at work

Soulful Planet Forums > Soul of Six > The Village     Topic: toad & Snick at work (Click HERE)

Click HERE

p.s: Snick, Welcome back, Geno

AdminTeam
AdminTeam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s. p. a. t. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2013 at 12:56pm
Toad...

Missing you so much, especially around this time of year.

2013 Christmas Holidays without you... Cry

Mixey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2014 at 2:58am
Originally posted by Gene_Leone_Mix Gene_Leone_Mix wrote:

Toad, we all really miss Ya, Brother!
RIP

~Gene

~~~~~~~~~~~

Remembering Toad in 2014 and... always.
RIP...
~Geno

� Edward E. "Toad" Goetz � Photo by: Miriam Wilson �

M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2014 at 11:58pm
Toad,

If you're out there in an all knowing spiritual communication zone somewhere , please send me a message so I can find the beautiful guitars you made for me.  The thief cost me more than money.  I miss you so much and EVERYTHING!

Where it started on Soulful Detroit.  Remember this...

And where it continued here on Soulful Planet...

Mixey
Elizabeth Goleski View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Elizabeth Goleski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2014 at 4:49pm
Hi Rick,
I am the Executive Director at the Baptist Manor in Farmington Hills, MI where your best friend Ed E Goetz lived when he died. My staff, unfortunately, were the ones who found him. We have two of his custom made bass guitars and are wondering if they are of any value to anyone. If you or anyone of his friends are interested please feel free to contact me at @ 248-626-6100
Our deepest sympathys go out to you and your family and friends.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 03 2015 at 11:53am

And here it is 2015, now,

and the anniversary of Toad's passing

back around this time in January of 2012...

Uhhh Toad, we all miss Ya, brother.

I guess the best we can do is to smile,

and keep remembering how awesome Toad was 
for all of us.

Rest in Peace Brother Toad... 
~Gene

Ed "Toad" Goetz
Rest In Peace

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2015 at 11:09am
Remembering Toad...
http://youtu.be/0nOZZuljnBo

Rest in Peace

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2016 at 10:31pm
Miss Ya, Toad... RIP
M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2016 at 1:40pm
I've been missing him like crazy too Geno!  I still have all of the Godiva tins from the chocolate pearls he sent me and they are a continual good memory.  I have them in my kitchen and I use them for spices. So every time I cook, I feel like he's here in some small way.  It puts a smile on my face and some love in the food; but I do get sad every now and then, like right now.  Cry
Miss you Toad and I miss my guitars too!
XO wherever you are.
Mixey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2017 at 10:43pm

Toad, 
Wherever You are 
somewhere, 
out there
in the Universe,
jamming with the stars,
or resting peacefully we hope.
Remembering You
today,
January 29th,
on Your Birthday.

Miss Ya, Toad
Rest In Peace

~Geno

M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2017 at 7:25pm
Toad where are you now!   
You knew all of this shit would happen.  
I miss you & love you soooo much!

XO Mixey

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
  Share Topic   

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image
Please enter the Security Code exactly as shown in image format.
Cookies must be enabled on your web browser.