Soulful Planet  Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > BC Beach > * Guest Parking *
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Edward E Goetz "TOAD" died...  OMG NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Edward E Goetz "TOAD" died... OMG NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Edward E Goetz "TOAD" died... OMG NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Posted: Jan 10 2012 at 12:25am
Dear Members & Everyone reading here...

This thread was originally named
"TOAD DIED???!!!! IS IT TRUE?... OMG NO!!!!!!!!!".

As the terrible news came in, we learned that indeed our friend Toad had passed. We changed the thread heading from
"Is it true"... to "IT IS TRUE.".

Now, we're including Toad's full name, so that any of Toad's many friends and family might see this on a search, and hopefully join us here, with their own personal memories of
Edward E Goetz.   You do not need to be a member to post on this thread.

Toad... we love you and miss you. Thank you for your support and guidance and all you've done to enriched us.

Many condolences to your family and all of your many friends.
Sincerely from all of us...

Your Soulful Planet Administration Team
Mixey, Bruce & Char

The following, is how it all unfolded for us here on Soulful Planet:
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I'm on the phone with Geno.

He received an e-mail saying Toad has just passed away.

No details.

We're trying to contact anyone who knows. Geno just called Toad... went to voicemail. OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last time he was here was on January 4th in the evening. I was going to call him tomorrow. OMG!

Did he take a trip somewhere? Was/Is he in the hospital? Did he have an accident??? Going crazy here!!!!

Please tell me this isn't true!!!!!!!

Mixey
Gene_Leone_Mix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2012 at 1:19am
I am on the phone right now with Mixey as I post this...
We are trying to get more info about our Dear Freind... Toad.
We are numb right now... speechless...

Please, someone, somehow, tell us that this is not true.

Toad's most recent posts on Soulful Planet:

Toad's Recent Posts on Soulful Planet

~Geno
M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2012 at 1:22am

No answer yet.

Mixey
Jeff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2012 at 7:37am
Oh, please no...
Jeff
Dew. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dew. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2012 at 8:04am
I am just North of Detroit and am also checking for info on Toad.
I'm sure Ray Monette may hear something,
Dew
Dew
M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2012 at 8:59am
I know Jeff. I'm feeling really bad right now too. No word yet and no answer at Toad's place.

Thank you Dew. Ray will find out for sure.

Mixey
s. p. a. t. View Drop Down
AdminTeam
AdminTeam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s. p. a. t. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2012 at 9:10am
Oh my God. It's true.   

I just heard from Toad's friend Bob Yockey. I'm waiting for permission to post his e-mail here.

According to Bob, they found Toad sitting behind his computer with his head down.

I'm on the phone with Geno now. We're getting more information. They found him yesterday. Geno saw activity from Toad on the 5th.

Mixey
MickeyMac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickeyMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2012 at 9:29am
I just got an email on facebook from Bobby Eli wanting to know if it was true. From what I have read her and whats posted on his facebook page. Its true

Oh no, not a good way to start the new year off.

I never met Toad in person, I talked to him on the phone a few times. We didnt agree on all things, but I liked his spirit, his openness, and his great story about working with the Funk Brothers, and his stories about back in the day when he and Ray Monette had a band and the few people they backed up.   He was a good guy. This place wont be the same without him.

RIP My friend
Anybody else missing George Bush besides me?
s. p. a. t. View Drop Down
AdminTeam
AdminTeam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s. p. a. t. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2012 at 9:44am
Hi Mickey...

Ed "Toad" Goetz is one of our founding fathers, a huge part of the fabric that has made our little place feel so good.

He was one of the most giving people I've ever known; and a beautiful, personal friend.

I can see from the administration side that he (or someone from his computer) was on Soulful Planet on January 5th at 3.01PM his time. His last post was on the 4th at 10:43 PM his time.

Toad's Last Post on January 4th As we know, he was well researched and passionate about his country. He contributed so much to this place... 4,425 posts plus hours of phone conversations that I'm going to miss so much!

From all of us on the administration side, we are missing you Toad. You're in heaven now, making guitars for all the angels.

Rest in Peace good friend.

Mixey, Bruce & Char
Jeff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2012 at 9:51am
I just want to go away somewhere and cry.
Jeff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2012 at 10:15am
Thank You Mixey for posting above and ...Goodmorning Everyone...

..Haven't slept much since getting this news about Toad last night...

I was actually shaking when I called Mixey just after just reading that email... shaking and fighting back tears of total dis-belief.

Mixey, Thank You for being at the other end of that landline, as we both went through this together, trying to get accurate info...

Marian informed me last night via Email that Toad has passed away... I am devestated... numb... speechless... I keep looking at the phone... waiting for Toad to call me back... call any of us back... such a loss...

The last phone call right around the holidays was 2 + hours of laughing like crazy, talking shop, talking music, talking guitars, talking guitar building, talking SP Forum and how he loves it so much here, talking politics, talking Detroit & Phillyand fun stuff.

Marian also informed me that Toad was at his computer when they found him. Mariam was told from Eds nephew, that " Ed will have a small service just for the family..He will be missed...."

Thank You Mariam for letting all of us know.

Toad ... We will all miss You more than can ever be imagined...
~Geno
Vonnie Eli View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vonnie Eli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2012 at 10:31am
I am so sad...Toad was such a great guy...He will really be missed.

Vonnie
Bobby Eli View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobby Eli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2012 at 11:06am
I am speechless and totally devastated by this terrible news.
It feels like a bad nightmare and I will wake up and all will be well but sadly,this is not the case.

As many of you may know,Toad hand crafted my amazing guitar which he and I have named "Honey" and Honey will always be a constant reminder of the wonderful and creative person that Toad was and will forever be,thanks to Honey.

Bobby Eli  1/10/12
Guest View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2012 at 11:41am
Sorry but I cant speak I am so sorry to hear this!!!
Guest View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2012 at 11:43am
This is Michele and Ben..Sorry but I cant speak I am so sorry to hear this!!!
dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2012 at 12:02pm

I just learned the news from Facebook.  I'm in shock and so deeply saddened.CryCryCryCryCry

He's been on my mind the past few days wondering why he hadn't been in the the threads to discuss the most recent debates.  We sparred about politics, but always in a dignified and respectful manner.  I learned a lot from Toad, who always stuck by his principles.  He loved his city and his country.  He took care of his wife throughout her illness, which is the measure of a good man.

We never met in person, but we talked on the phone many times.  I've known him through several music forums, and those guitars he made were the most beautiful ones I've ever seen.  He just completed one a short time ago.

He lost his little dog "Angel" a short time ago and I know it hit him hard.

The fact they found him sitting at his computer seems fitting.  He's been such an important part of this village and other forums he participated in.

I'm glad to see some folks here we haven't seen in a while.  Toad's passing has affected all of us who knew him.   Sometimes tragedy brings us together, if only to mourn our friend.

May God rest your soul, My Friend.  I love you and you will stay in my heart forever...

dream 
http://cdbaby.com/cd/eugenepitt
55Motown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55Motown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2012 at 12:15pm
Indeed a sad loss. I met him in 2006 in Detroit at Studio A with Bobby and Vonnie, and all The Soulful Tale crew. What a privilege. And such a supportive person when it came to the music.RIP Toad, you will be missed by many.....
dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2012 at 12:16pm
I talked with "Soul Sister", Jeanie in New York.  She and Jimmy are there for a big event tonight.  She asked me to express her condolences, and she's as shocked and saddened as the rest of us.

She will post here and on Facebook when they get home.  She has no access to a computer at the hotel.

dream
http://cdbaby.com/cd/eugenepitt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2012 at 12:20pm
Hi Everyone... Thank YOU for posting your thoughts and feelings and stories and memories about "Toad".

Keep doing so...

I will be adding some pictures below, in memory of Our Dear Friend,
"Toad" - Edward E. Goetz.

So much of Toad's Life and Toad's World are here in his own words within the threads right here in our SoulfulPlanet Forum, that Toad called:

"Toad's Home Away From Home"

This is very sad news to all that knew and loved the great man that was indeed, 'Toad". ~Geno

Here's a few random screen grabs...

... from the Guitar Threads...

and...

and..

末封末

末封末

and Toad's Great sense of humor...

末封末

And... "Toad is now gone".
It is so hard to imagine and accept those words.
~Geno

more pics to come...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2012 at 1:38pm
Here is a photo from Sierra Hurtt

[Photo: Sierra Hurtt - Masters of Funk, Soul and Blues Sessions - PhilaTroit]

Sierra... Thank You!   We are all in shock that Toad has passed on so suddenly... this is a great picture of Toad - Edward E. Goetz & Funk Brother Drummer - Uriel Jones from our MOFSAB Detroit sessions... I will treasure this pic, and re-post it on the Soulful Planet Forum in the "Toad" memorial thread from You as well... RIP to both "Toad" & Uriel.

Thank You, Sierra,
~MuchLove, Geno
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic