Soulful Planet  Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Soul of Six > Music Meccas > DETROIT
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DETROIT (Non Motown Artists)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnyyoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 07 2008 at 9:22pm
BMD,

Do you mean Lee Alan who wrote his memoirs, Turn Your Radio On?  He is married to Nancy Davis.  She used to live in Fla and Vegas?

My brother is good friends with Robin in LA.  Thats where I am now.  Should I tell Robin you said hi?  pnyyoung
pnyyoung View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnyyoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 07 2008 at 9:46pm
Good Evening Toad,

You might like this bit of trivia.  You have a connection to the political scene.

Back in the early 60's  John Kerry, senator and past presidential candidate had a band called the Electras.  He played bass.  They lived in New Hampshire.  pnyyoung
pnyyoung View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnyyoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 07 2008 at 10:00pm
Heres the scoop on the Raiders.  I remember their biggest hit "Steppin Out. 

They played around and had at least twenty different guys playing at one time or another.

When they finally were discovered by Columbia in 1965, a really bad guy named Terry Melcher (son of Doris Day) was given the job of producing their songs at Columbia.

It was Terry who beefed up the song that Revere and Lindsay wrote, "Steppin Out" 

They were third behind Beatles and Stones in LA. in top sales.

Dick Clark heard this song and asked them to go on his TV show, Where the Action Is. 

You are too young but this show was really big in LA.  Produced and performed on the beach with bikini clad babes and "Beach Boy style" groups performing.

Paul Revere and the Raiders made that show a huge success.

I discovered the songs history when I used it in a fashion shoot.

pnyyoung
BASSMANDELUX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BASSMANDELUX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 08 2008 at 5:30am
pnyyoung    Thats  the same Lee Allan and Robin Seymour. You can tell them hi. Been 3 years or so since i saw them. I had the wrong studio name its Song Haven Studio we.re using. BMD
pnyyoung View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnyyoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 12 2008 at 11:36pm
BMD,

Spoke with my brother in LA. 

FYI
What kind of production package is studio  offering you?  How many songs?

Most very small studios offer 4 song demos done in one session for a minimum of $500 with a lot of extra hidden charges.  Don't expect too much assistance because they are there to make money and their time is money. 

Be well prepared and well rehearsed. 

Recording, mixing, mastering and transferring done by large studios are very costly.  I know this firsthand.  This is my business.  Be sure that the final mix has "warmth."  Make sure levels of all songs are consistent and transitions between songs are adjusted and finalized.  Make sure sound is optimum level for playback.

Do they isolate instruments or are you going to have a live back up band?  Do they charge to overdub vocals?

There are a lot of recording studios in California.  Do your homework first.  A lot of so-called recording artists do this on the side in order to finance their own websites and self-promotion.  Be cautious.

Who chooses your songs?  I saw only three clips on internet and one was the contest in Vegas.   Where else have you performed? 

Get a good entertainment attorney if you plan to cover someones else's songs or use their music with your voices.

If you use demo for your own enjoyment, you will be fine. But if you plan to send it to promoters or sell it, BE CAREFUL!!!!  Lawsuits abound in this industry and royalties MUST be paid. 

Are there 4 or 5 members in your group? Looked like five in one clip. 

I wish you all the luck.  If you are the guy on the left, you looked pretty happy singing.  Couldn't hear much.

I do not like to go to UTUBE anymore.  There are several hackers who have found a way to break into PCs through UTUBE.

I cannot afford the annoyance or cost of another virus or hacker.

He you posted any other performances elsewhere on the web?

I will be flying back to NY to vote otherwise I will be staying in LA until my commercials are completed.  I am doing several clothing commercials for two major department stores for their Holiday sales.

Hope this info helps.  Feel free to ask me questions.

55Motown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55Motown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 12:06pm
I remember Sis taking me around to A J Sparks house in Detroit. These people have so much talent and it is criminal they don't write their memoirs and let people know they are still around writing etc.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic