Soulful Planet  Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Soul of Six > The Village > Memorial
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DEATH OF A ROCK N` SOUL ICON

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2007 at 11:06am
Boy!!!  That pen is a treasure for sure!!

Nice write up on his passing.  It's more comprehensive than others I've read.

It is a he said/she said story, but you have to wonder how much he remembers of what he might have done under the influence of crack.

dream
http://cdbaby.com/cd/eugenepitt
kitten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kitten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2007 at 11:42am
I heard that remark of Ike's before but I forgot whom said it, and this was way before internet. "It's hard to jump outta a window through a basement window?"

kitten
when you have friends who needs enemies.
Snick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 25 2007 at 10:32am
Check this statement from Phil
Spector at Ike
Turners funeral

The worlds foremost Authority on Stuff
lindzay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lindzay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 25 2007 at 1:07pm
Oh Dear, Whats the real deal here?  Tina to me had something that Ike could not control?
dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 25 2007 at 2:26pm
Hi Snick & Lindz,

There's even more on what Spector said at Ike's funeral in the "Death of A Rock and Roll Icon" thread under Music General.

dream
M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 25 2007 at 3:09pm

Interesting reads Sue! 

Now they're reporting in some of the rags that he was partying with women and drugging right up 'till his death.  That's not what I heard here locally; but who knows.

Spector is a character. . . but I have to agree with some of what he's saying. Oprah can easily give legitimacy to a book, which may not be deserving.

I think that the combination of Ike and Tina made Tina.  I wouldn't want to give credit to one and not the other. Again, as much as I like Tina Turner. . .and appreciate her uniqueness, it's understandable from the viewpoint of a producer that there really could have been 4 other stars, i. e. "Tinas" that Spector saw.

Anyone who beats the crap out of someone else, is awful.  That includes telling lies about someone too.  So who knows where the truth is?

I didn't know Ike was that good of a player.  I'm going to enjoy digging out some of his stuff and listening better.

Mixey
M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 25 2007 at 3:14pm
Snick. . . SPAT can move this to the other thread if you want. Just let them know.

((( S. P. A. T. )))

Mixey
M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 25 2007 at 3:16pm
Actually I'm an idiot. . . I see what you're doing... dah.  Just consider that another stupid musician comment... lol

Mixey
Sue W. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sue W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2007 at 1:37am
Mixey,
Yeah I heard that there's a question about what woman he was actually married to as well...if they gave him a medical death sentence, I could see Ike saying "what the hell" ...

The g.f. he was with when I interviewed him is the one who's claiming he married her a few years ago and has it on Myspace. She looks just like Tina, although when I pointed that out Ike screamed no.

I think if Ike hadn't met Tina and brought her out of obscurity, it's not clear she would have broken through, living in St. Louis.

As for playing, he told me he preferred his first instrument, the piano, although everybody thought of him as a guitarist because of the Ike and Tina Revue. He had reverted to piano in his last band.
Soul Sister View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2007 at 5:42am
Hi Sue,
Interesting....

Thanks for posting, you've always got some good info and good articles to share from your up-close & personal interviews.

S.S.
"Love Is The Answer" ~ Little Jeanie Scott
Snick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2007 at 8:32am
Yes, please have SPAT move it. I'm still having trouble moving around in this site.
The worlds foremost Authority on Stuff
M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2007 at 9:28am

I hope that Ike's story can be told one day Sue; and I hope no-one did him in.

It would be really nice if people weren't so bent on manipulating the truth; and would just tell a story from their perspective.

Most of the stories that came out after Elvis died, were ridiculous! 

I can imagine that history will be re-written all over the place with Ike too.

Mixey
s. p. a. t. View Drop Down
AdminTeam
AdminTeam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s. p. a. t. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2007 at 10:05pm
Moving now.
george
s. p. a. t. View Drop Down
AdminTeam
AdminTeam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s. p. a. t. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2007 at 10:13pm
Done Snick.
Coolgeorge
Sue W. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sue W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 27 2007 at 2:56am
Mixey,

Well anyone who tells Ike's story will have a point of view; the "Roshomon" effect.

If they're at least honest about it that helps.... With Tina's story part of the culture now, maybe someone will do a movie from Ike's viewpoint. Certainly they didn't show you in "What's Love Got to Do With It" what a musical pioneer he was...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 27 2007 at 10:29am
This week in "Newsweek Magazine":

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2008 at 2:09pm
The Medical Examiner's report is in, Ike Turner died of an overdose of cocaine. He continued to use cocaine despite having emphizema and heart issues.

S.S.
dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2008 at 1:35am
SAD!!!!  I guess when that drug takes hold it just won't let go.

Rest In Peace, Ike...

dream
kitten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kitten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2008 at 6:43am
WELL, ALL I CAN SAY IS THERE AIN'T NO NEED ON BEATING ON A DEAD HORSE ANYMORE - THERE'S NO NEED TO. R.I.P IKE.

kitten
when you have friends who needs enemies.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic