Soulful Planet  Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Soul of Six > The Village > Cuisine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Christmas Holiday Feast !!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Christmas Holiday Feast !!!
    Posted: Dec 23 2008 at 11:19am
         What is everyone having for your Holiday
  feast?
      As a single person, it is hard to find a reasonable
  food item that is special, but not huge. Cooking
 an entire Turkey, Ham, or Prime Rib is a little
overkill for a single person to assemble on a budget.
       I thought about this for a few days, and came
 up with a plan.
          There is a food store near me that sells
 big, fat, plump, frozen Shrimp that are the best
 I have ever eaten. They are expensive as hell,
 but are a very rare treat that are worth the
 money. The bag contains about 18 to 24 of
 these big, tasty shrimp, and my plan is to
 eat a few of them chilled with some Wasabee
  infused shrimp sauce...Smoked Swiss cheese,
 and crackers, for lunch, ....
     And deep fry the remainder with beer batter,
 homemade tarter sauce,fresh lemon slices,
  and homemade french fries for Dinner. 

I will probably make a great salad to go
 with the fried shrimp including the following
 Veggies: Romain Lettuce,cucumbers,sweet onions,
 green and red bell peppers, cheery tomatoes,
  and parsely. Olive oil, lemon juice, and chopped
  mint leaves for the salad dressing.

This might sound like a different approach
 for a holiday meal, but I think it will work good
 for me this year.
      Have a festive holiday meal, whatever it may be!!
  SmileSmileSmileTongueTongueTongueSmileSmileSmile

toad
Down, and nearly out in Detroit......
dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2008 at 12:59pm
Well, when it comes to food, I'm always interested.LOL  Your plans for the shrimp sound good, Toad, and practical for one person.

We postponed our Christmas Eve day feast until Friday because we're due to get sleet and freezing rain tomorrow during the day and no one wants to travel in it.  Friday we will have steamed clams and lobsters with drawn butter.  I always cut the butter with cider vinegar when eating clams and lobsters. (It's an old Maine tradition.  It's mostly tourists who eat clams & lobsters with butter only.)  I cut the butter with lemon when eating King Crab legs.  We'll have a salad with it, I'm sure.  Kimberly may make a pumpkin pudding for dessert to top with ice cream or whipped cream.

Christmas Day dinner is still on since the weather will be fine.  We'll be going to Kimberly's sister-in-law's house for a big family gathering.  Gerri, her sister-in-law, is making a crown roast of pork.  We've had it before and it's delicious.  Along with it we'll have all the sides - mashed potatoes, twice baked potatoes, dressing, gravy, macaroni salad, green salad, braised carrots, popovers and cranberry sauce.

Gerri always make at least 4 desserts.  I know they'll have the Stella Doros, I mentioned at Thanksgiving and other goodies.  Lola, Jared's mother, will make apple and mincemeat pies, so there will be lots of desserts to choose from.

After dinner, all the men retire to the living room to watch ball games and we women stay at the dining table and sample all the desserts with coffee.  We need the strong coffee to keep us awake after such a big meal.LOL

The only cooking I have to do is for starters Christmas Day.  It's the easiest recipe in the world.  I get frozen Italian meatballs and bake them in the oven.  Then I top them with Annie's Green Goddess dressing and microwave them at Gerri's.  Everyone loves them and scoffs them down with shrimp, cheese and crackers and whatever else might be there before dinner.  Even that recipe isn't mine - Kimberly came up with it about 5 years sgo.LOLLOL

dream
http://cdbaby.com/cd/eugenepitt
M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2008 at 3:52pm
Dream...

Mom and I went over to my son Travis' place last night.  He was all flipped out about Annie's Green Goddess dressing Tongue.

I just picked it off the shelf and gave it to him for something different on his salads.  I've never even tried it myself, but it sounded good, when I read it.

So you put it on meatballs?  Now I'm really curious! I'll have to get some of this stuff ASAP.

Toad & Dream... shrimp is one of my favorites... my son's too.  Mom won't touch it. lol

I've been craving battered fried fish and malted vinegar for some reason.  I ate a couple of salted vinegar potato chips the other day... didn't do the trick.

I'm not sure what we're going to have for Christmas dinner this year.  I know we'll make crispelli on christmas eve, like we always do.

Mixey
MickeyMac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickeyMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2008 at 4:23pm
Toad and Dream:

All that sounds delicious, now to figure out how to be in Maine and Detroit at the same time lol Smile

Anyhow on Christmas day my mother is making a prime rib, a turkey breast and stuffing, sweet potatoes, a green bean casserole, and assorted desserts.  Thats probably the one thing about Christmas I like is to get a good dinner.
dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2008 at 4:55pm
Mixey,

Hope you try the meatballs with that dressing.  They are scrumptuous.  I told you Kimberly is the most creative and best cook I know.  No one else would ever think of that combination.  Most people serve Italian meatballs with marinara or Sweedish meatballs with a sour cream sauce.  The frozen Italian meatballs I get are really good.

MM,

Now that would be a trick!!  Detroit and Maine at the same time!!LOL  Talk about spreading yourself too thin.  LOL!!  Your mother's dinner sounds good, too, and you reminded me of another side I know we'll have Christmas Day - green bean casserole.  We have it at Thanksgiving, too.

Too bad we couldn't all get together some place central for a Soulful Planet Xmas!!!  I know Lady Dee has made stuffed cabbage - she's had me drooling all day.LOL

dream
MickeyMac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickeyMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2008 at 5:02pm

My mother was talking about getting a cabbage too

stuffed or unstuffed I like cabbage
dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2008 at 5:09pm
I love it, too, MM.  I love New England boiled dinners with the cabbage, corned beef and all the other vegies.

Maybe Lady Dee will give us her recipe for stuffed cabbage.  I could eat it until it's coming out my ears.

Does this look good or what!!!

toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2008 at 5:15pm
         You guys are given me ideas, and makin' me hungry !! Thumbs%20Up

toad
toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2008 at 5:47pm

Cuervo Christmas Cookies

1 cup of water
4 large20eggs
1 tsp. baking soda
1 cup nuts
1 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
1 cup of brown sugar
lemon juice
2 cups dried fruit
1 bottle Jose Cuervo Tequila

Sample the Cuervo to check quality. Take a large bowl, check the Cuervo again, to be sure it is of the highest quality. Pour one level cup and drink. Turn on the electric mixer. Beat one cup of butter in a large fluffy bowl. Add one teaspoon of sugar. Beat again. At this point it's best to make sure the Cuervo is still OK. Try another cup . . . just in case. Turn off the miserer thingy. Break 2 leggs and add to the bowl and chuck in the cup of dried fruit. Pick the friggin fruit off floor. Mix on the turner. If the fried druit gets stuck in the eaterers just pry it loose with a drewscriver. Sample the Cuervo to check for tonsisticity. Next, sift two c ups of salt, or something.
Who giveshz a shot. Check the Jose Cuervo. Now shift the lemon juice and strain your nuts. Add one table. Add a spoon of sugar, or somefink. Whatever you can find. Greash the oven. Turn the cake tin 360 degrees and try not to fall over. Don't forget to beat the turner. Finally, throw the bowl through the window, finish the Cose Juervo and make sure to put the stove in the dishwasher.

Cherry Mistmas.

This recipe came to me from Delbert Nelson...Lead male singer

of the Funk Brothers.Smile
 toad
M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 24 2008 at 7:15am
LooooooL!!ClapSmile
I liked that a lot Toad!!
Dream... I like your idea of Soulful Planet getting together!  The food... the music... OMG that would be fun!!
I wonder what time of year would be the best?
Lady Dee's cabbage sounds gooooood!
Mixey
dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 24 2008 at 10:16am
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

LOVE that recipe, Toad!!!!

Hope everyone enjoys their viddles the next few days.  The diets begin after January 1st.LOL

Mixey, do you think Geno's deck is big enough to hold all of us??LOLLOL  Jeff lives in the same area and he's got a big house.  Nothing like inviting ourselves over.LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

dream
Jeff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 24 2008 at 2:48pm
C'mon over, everybody! Our Christmas agenda: feeling Merry, relaxing, and checking the Cuervo jusht one mor time.  *hic*  Ya wanna chill?... This is da place.

I'm off the grid, baby ... the Blackberry is off. Out of the office for four straight days.

We've acquired a 14 lb. fresh turkey, which will undergo the magic treatment that only my mother can do. Mom's staying with us this week for Christmas and (of course) is being called into service to ensure the mondo-delicious turkey hits the table tomorrow night. Which it no doubt will. Along with Mom's world class gravy which has been responsible for a few out of body experiences over the years.

And her homemade cranberry bread, a perennial fav. And steamed asparagas, mashed spuds, and a few other treats.

And her homemade apple crisp, which my daughters begged her to make.

Vodka martinis to start the happy hour, followed by lots of good wine. And later when the tryptophan hits the system there'll be freshly ground coffee made with a press that's robust enough to jump start a Big Block.

The ever-present threat of a few small fistfuls of Grandma's toll house cookies later on ...

Ahhhhh.

Jeff
Gene_Leone_Mix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 24 2008 at 6:23pm
Toad, Dream, Mixey, MickeyMac, Jeff 7 Everbody Reading This...

OMG!!!!

ALL of these ideas sound GREAT!
Merry Christmas Eve Everybody!!!

Right now... after just taking a nice short winter's afternoon nap earlier, I'm getting the shrimpers ready as the fresh coffee is brewing right now. I think I'll make a fresh salad and garlic bread in a bit to go with the shrimp and good old beefed up spicy hot cocktail sauce... with some Music on from right here on the SP Forum, or a good old Roman documentary movie on the tube, and possibly crack open a bottle of wine for test tasting purposes, and destroy the wrapping of a few more Christmas gifts still yet to be done.
*LoL*

And in line with the spirit of Toad's relay of Delbert's Cuervo Christmas Cookies recipe concept...

When in doubt... and all else fails...
grab a plate, a bowl or a vessel...
filled with something good to eat...
then throw another number on the fire...
grab a cozy blanket...
curl up on the nearest comfy couch...
enjoy and...
Apply A Little More Egg Nog As Needed!

*LoL*
Merry Christmas Eve!
~Geno
LadyDee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 25 2008 at 7:50pm

WELL THAT STUFFED CABBAGE WAS GREAT!!....WISH I COULD HAVE EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU HERE TO TASTE IT!!!......WE HAVE A COMPLETE POLISH CHRISTMAS ALL THE TIME.WITH ALL THE FAVORITES LIKE KIELBASA, PEIOGIE (POLISH RAVIOLIS),BAKED HAM, POTATO SALAD....WHEN IT COMES TO ALL THIS I PIG OUT LOL...OOPS FORGOT THE CRAB & SHRIMP SOUP.....HOPE YOU HAD GREAT FOOD TODAY!!!....MICKEY'S DINNER AND DREAMS SOUNDED GREAT ALSO!!!......LADYDEE

MickeyMac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickeyMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2008 at 1:15pm
I cant believe I forgot to get some cabbages yesterday Shocked

I guess I will have to swing by Bab's pad later to get some.
toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 24 2010 at 10:41am
           I purchased a small Standing Rib Roast for
 my Christmas dinner. Yorkshire pudding,brocolli spears,
a handfull of green onions, and a tad of wasabi for the
 roast..to give it some kick.
      Also bought a pint of Hennesy to have with a
 Coke-a-cola for a after dinner drink. It will be the first
 alcohol I have drank in over six months. The roast
 will be the first one I have made in over ten years.
      I plan on making Prime rib soup with the leftover
 roast.
            i wish you all could join me in the feast.
   It should be a good one, for sure ! Big%20smile
        Merry Christmas, everybody !!!!!!!!!!!

toad
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic