Soulful Planet  Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Soul of Six > Music Meccas
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CHICAGO

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CHICAGO
    Posted: Jun 16 2007 at 11:23am
So Many Great Musicians, Artists, Musical Influences, Trends and Styles have hailed beginnings from Chicago... often intertwining with "Sister Cities" across the globe for decades.

To get started... here's just one of them from Wikipedia...

"Chicago House Music"
and...
List_of_entertainers_who_have_lived_in_or_near_Chicago!

Name some favorite names and add some more!
Soul Sister View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2007 at 12:03pm
GENE CHANDLER
THE ARTISTICS
QUINCY JONES (born there, raised mostly in Seattle)
HERBIE HANCOCK
LOU RAWLS
RAMSEY LEWIS 
JERRY BUTLER
BILLY BUTLER
CURTIS MAYFIELD
THE IMPRESSIONS
THE FLAMINGOES
THE DELLS
THE FIVE STAIRSTEPS
THE LOVE-LITES
BARBARA ACKLIN
MAJOR LANCE
DENISE WILLIAMS
JIMMY REED
BUDDY GUY
LEONARD CHESS' CHESS RECORDS

The "Regal Theater", one of the theaters on the Chitlin' Curcut & home of soul music legends, early important clubs such as Club DeLisa, Mr. Kelly's, etc...
"Love Is The Answer" ~ Little Jeanie Scott
kitten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kitten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2007 at 1:17pm
Gene Chandler originally from the westside later moved to the southside.
The Artistics were from the westside.
Q was born and raised in Chicago at the time living on the southside.
Herbbie Hancock lived on the city's southside.
Lou Rawls was from the southside.
The Butlers, Mayfields, Impressions, and the Lances were from the northside parts of town.
The Dells actually lived on the southside later moved to the south-subburbs.
The Flamingos were from the southside.
The Five Stairsteps were from the southside.
Barbara Acklin - I'm not for certain was from originally from the southside.
Jimmy Reed was originally from Gary IN commuted back & forth to Chgo.
Buddy Guy I believe he was originally from the southside, I could be wrong.
when you have friends who needs enemies.
toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2007 at 1:56pm
 Sweet Lou for Kitten
clik the pic
 Curtis and the Impressions
Click the pic

The Dells for Kitten
Click the pic

Down, and nearly out in Detroit......
toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2007 at 2:25pm
 The Impressions
Click the pic

Major Lance
Click the pic

The Flamingos
Click the pic
Down, and nearly out in Detroit......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2007 at 5:03am
toad,
Thanks for the clip of Zeke & Jake Carey in a later Flamingoes formation.

S.S.
kitten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kitten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2007 at 11:28am

Thank YOU Toad

kitten/joanie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2007 at 5:02am
So many great, great groups out of the Windy City, but my favorite still is "The First Family of Soul" ~ The Five Stairsteps!
Of course, the best pioneers were The Flamingoes, followed by The Dells, imho, lol.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2007 at 5:04am
I can't forget "The Impressions" with Jerry Butler:
kitten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kitten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2007 at 5:22am
Somehow I knew you were gonna show the Five Stairsteps pic, and your right they are the first family as many have desribed the group. The first time I seen the group was early as 65, I seen them at the Regal and many many revues to be honest, SS.

A friend BobA has the FS pic on his website www.sittinginthepark.com 

I'm so ashamed that I don't have a trillon-zillion photos I once had of many of artist took with a lot of soul & doowop artist's. Someone broke into my house and took them and reords. I did I have this pic of the Impressions once, with Jerry, Sam, the Brooks Bros, and Curtis. I loved this lineup but my husband says the original lineup was six-members but they we're the Roosters just before the pic was taken. I love the pic SS!!!

Love You Most,

Kitten 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2007 at 6:21am
COOL Joanie,
 I always loved that photo of the kids from their first and best album!!

I'm sorry to hear someone stole all your photos, I hate that!  That happened to me twice (once during a fire), but I still ad about 1/3 of the negatives left and that's what you see me post today.

Joanie, your husband is a weath of soul history and group knowledge, that's so awesome!

S.S.
kitten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kitten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2007 at 7:12am
My husband is sitting by reading his paper and listening to the Rhythm Revue while I'm posting. He want to let you know he appreciate your kind words. He grew up with the Butlers, Lance's, Mayfield's, [Joe] Brackens, the Players and  [Otis]Leavills families and groups. He went to HS with Curtis and Billy Butler, which was freshie. He recalls when the Impressions first hit with "For Your Precious Love" he say he was going to put some of his books into his locker, and Curtis yelled to him.."LC, Larry, I made it! I made it, man!" Ol Curtis didn't look back and he just continued on forward.

Alot of folks have asked my husband about of postives regarding the Northsiders, many didn't believe him because of his status not renowned enough? But now that those are finding, they jaws just drops. He tried to tell em. Well.

Kitten
kitten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kitten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2007 at 8:36am
My husband was responsible for bringing for bringing Billy Butler and the whole Northsiders and the Chi-Lites, and others to work with manager, and not the other way around SS.

Kitten
kitten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kitten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2007 at 8:17am
The Emotions

Chaka Khan and Taka Boom

LaVern Baker

Dinah Washington

Albert Ammons

Gene Ammons

Chi-Lites

Heaven and Earth

Joyce Kennedy

Minnie Riperton

Holly Maxwell

Jan Bradley

to name a few....
kitten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kitten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2007 at 4:26am
Betty Everett

Geraldine Hunt

Josephine Taylor

Miki Howard

Phil Upchurch

Bernard Purdie

Bobby Hutton

Jenniffer Hutson

Dick Gregory

Oscar Brown Jnr

Andre Williams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2008 at 5:38am

THE KITTENS

THE VOWS

THE MAJORS/ MAJORS IV

S.S.

MickeyMac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickeyMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2008 at 5:57am
Okay I like the Five Stairsteps(particularly their Windy C stuff), but I gotta tell you, I would vote the Staple Singers as the first family of soul even back when they were singing gospel. After all soul music is mainly from the church, and the Staples are Chicago bred to boot.

About Chicago lets not forget the blues roots:

Chess Records with Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, Willie Dixon, Little Walter, Sonny Boy Williamson, Koko Taylor.   This music made the Rolling Stones. Not to mention that Chess also had The Moonglows, The Flamingos, Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley, Dale Hawkins, The Monotones, The Vibrations, Etta James, The Dells, Ramsey Lewis, The Radiants, Tony Clarke, Fontella Bass, Billy Stewart and others.

Say what you want to about the Chess brothers, but man they knew how to make some great records
MickeyMac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickeyMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2008 at 6:03am
Now about two other cool labels

VeeJay:   Look: The Spaniels, The El Doradoes, Jimmy Reed, John Lee Hooker, The Staple Singers, The Magnificents, The Dells, Dee Clark, Eddie Harris, Jerry Butler, Gene Chandler, Betty Everett, The Four Seasons, and VeeJay was the first record label in America to put out a record by the Beatles. In the 13 years of their existence (1953-1966), they did so much. Its sad because today VeeJay founders James and Vivian Braken are pretty much forgotten about.

Then there are the Onederful and Marvelus labels.

I havent even gotten to the rock and roll part of Chicago yet.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2008 at 5:41am
Good info M.M., on all the artists who recorded on Chicago Labels.

M.M., "The First Family of Soul" was the moniker of 'The 5 Stairsteps' back in the day before the Staples became well-known.  That's how they were 'introduced on live stage shows' and later on the family album.

I saw them onstage and hangin' backstage at many shows back then, with Papa Burke.

S.S.
MickeyMac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickeyMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2008 at 6:54am
Gotta disagree with you Soul Sister, I still say it was the Staples because they were around longer!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic