Soulful Planet  Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Soul of Six > Music Meccas > DETROIT
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Carl Dixon Session in Detroit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2008 at 4:28am

Here's a nice shot of the three relaxing between takes...

http://cdbaby.com/cd/eugenepitt
Soul Sister View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2008 at 3:09pm
Just got in.....Very, very nice Sue!

Spyder & Fam looking good too!!!

S.S.
"Love Is The Answer" ~ Little Jeanie Scott
M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2008 at 6:30pm
I just read Sue's article on the other thread.  OMG this is so cool.

Congratulations Carl and everyone for making the dream a reality.

Wonderful!

Mixey
toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2008 at 9:42am
     As I just wrote in the Music General threads, Here is the link
to Carl's site where you can hear a snippet of one of the tunes
 that Carl wrote for the session.

All the session cats sound great, and Spyder's singing is superb !!!
     As I said in the music general thread, I am sure that Carl can count
on us to support his effort and possibly purchase his tunes.
    He spent a good chunk of his hard earned cash making this music possible, and I for one will buy his releases.
     He's a great guy, and this session was a great idea..start to finish.
   Thank you Carl for keeping Detroit Music alive !!

toad
Down, and nearly out in Detroit......
dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2008 at 10:49am
Expressed my thoughts in the other thread...

ClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClap

dream
SPYDER TURNER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SPYDER TURNER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 13 2008 at 4:59pm

HI ALL,  THE SESSION IS ON YOUTUBE AND ALSO AT WWW BANDTRACKS.COM

THERE'S SNIPPETS OF ALL FOUR SONGS.
SPYDER TURNER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SPYDER TURNER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 13 2008 at 5:03pm
OOPS, WWW.BANDTRAXS.COM AND YOUTUBE
M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 13 2008 at 5:41pm
Nice video Spyder!!  I can see you weren't having any fun at all... that's why you can't contain your smile.  Smile

Everyone did a wonderful job!!!

I like Carl's site too, and his description of the the performances on the tracks. He has a wonderful way with words.

All the best with it,
Mixey
Gene_Leone_Mix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 13 2008 at 6:00pm

Carl,

if Ya peek in here to read this...
I got your email last week while the SoulfulPlanet Forum was switching servers and obviously off line.

The email said:

"Gene – how’s the grits!! - How about this for my Detroit session promo at Studio a!"
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=UKuRfjNmY-E

(Mixey posted the video above in her post)

Carl, too funny!
The last time I had Grits, I was sitting at breakfast in Dearborn, MI, laughing with You, before we headed over to the Soulful Tale Sessions in Studio A!

Anyway, Cool Video and hope the project is going well!!!

~Smiles,~
Geno

dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2008 at 9:30am
I just found this!!

FABULOUS, Spyder, Carl et all!!!!Clap  I wish you great success with this.

SpyderMan, it's clear you're in your element.  The world needs to hear and see lots more of Spyder Turner.  You've still go the chops!!

I'm loving all 4 tunes.  GOOD SHOW!!

dream
55Motown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55Motown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 10:31am
Thanks everybody.

I did peak in here ages ago, but I really have been so busy with all this. I honestly could write a book. The music business is taking a real bashing and I have learnt so much about things. I really do not know how artists, musicians, producers, writers make any money, when the world is copying their works. That I guess, for another day!
toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 12:15pm
          Carl,
    It's truly great to see that you have posted here
 this week. Your efforts to keep the music alive is
 not going un-noticed. I pray that you can recover
 your expenses, and continue making music, and
 helping the artists that we all love.
    I will be purchasing your tracks very soon..to help out
 and spread the word to friends in town.
 The best to you my friend,
 ioad
Down, and nearly out in Detroit......
55Motown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55Motown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2009 at 6:35am

Thanks Toad! I wish I could see how sales were going, but I have to wait 45 days after the end of the month!

Tonight (Sunday) I am on The Right Track Soul Show, with Harry Grundy. We will be talking about and playing Detroit session songs and hopefully one of the Philly tracks to, featuring 'Double Exposure'. So Spyder, Pree, Bandtraxs and Double Exposure - I can't complain. Here is the link:

http://www.salfordcityradio.org/

The show starts at 8pm (UK) , 3pm (Eastern) and is available to download afterwards if you miss it. I am quite nervous as my mind hops all over the place, so I better chill this afternoon....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2009 at 1:01pm
Hey Carl,
I didn't know that was you, great to see you again.

Been to Ronnie Scott's lately?

Stop by when you can Smile.

S.S.
55Motown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55Motown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 11 2009 at 1:55pm
Hi everybody -

S.S. - no I have not recenlty been to Ronnie Scotts. We are trying to organise a works do, and it was suggested we went there! Maybe we will, but not everybody gets on with the music...

Just to let you all know that I am getting some airplay in the UK with a couple of the Detroit releases. It will be interesting to see what sales are like when I eventually get the details from Tunecore (who distribute the digits). A station in the US has picked up on all three plus 'Soul Recession' which is a result. There are some great people who appreciate the endeavors made to create this music and with their help, it will be heard and hopefully enjoyed. Don't forget, full low bandwidth versions here, plus the original demos (part), so you can hear how the songs first started out in London in 2004:

M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 11 2009 at 3:08pm
55Motown Carl...

I just had a great time listening to all of the tracks you have up!!  I love "Detroit" (City By The River)!!  They should be slammin' this saxy track on the air. 

Really nice experiencing the session via the Youtubes you did.  Excellent stuff.  Clap I know you must be happy, but I certainly understand your trepidation re the state of the music business. 

Much good fortune.  Thanks for the update.

Mixey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 11 2009 at 3:35pm
Hi Carl,
That's great. I wish you alot of luck with the CD.

S.S.
55Motown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55Motown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2009 at 3:35am

Hi everybody –

I have finally managed to configure Pay Pal and my Bandtraxs blog to feature the 7"/45rpms I have for sale of Spyder Turners 'Tell me (crying over you)', and Pree's 'Suddenly there's you'. I can tell you this has been one hell of a journey and last Thursday I wandered around central London enquiring in Soho record shops about possible wholesale interest. There is some, but I have to compromise on price a little. All part of the learning curve I guess. However, the two singles are now ready for dispatch (after the postal strike in the UK). They have the instrumental on the 'B' side, and the labels are black ink on white paper. That is all I could afford. The price I am charging does not reflect any recovery of session costs, as that was my personal project. These sales include UK postage only at the moment continentals contact me for prices/p&p etc) and I may, once I see the reaction, increase the price a little. This will secure a better performer royalty etc, for those that helped me out with this last year. They really were great to work with and I do not want to let them down. Here is the url and the purchase details or on the right hand side:

http://www.bandtraxs.blogspot.com/

If you like the songs and purchase anything, you will be pleased to know that your payment, indirectly, has appropriated much needed funds to various parts of the business from the studio hire and their employees, Detroit musicians, union, musicians,     performers, record manufacture, UPS Freight, Royal Mail etc.....I could go on and on and on....and probably do. Don't forget you can hear these two tracks here for appraisal:

www.youtube.com/bandtraxs

Cheers

Carl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic