Soulful Planet  Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Soul of Six > The Village > Memorial
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

10 Years Ago ... 9/11 2011

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2010 at 11:27am
         Since the U.S. victory over Japan and Germany
 in the aftermath of World War II, and the collapse
 of the Soviet Union, I believe most Americans never
 entertained the thought that we could be attacked
 by a foreign nation. We believed we would be spared from the strife seen and felt by other nations during a
 time of war.
       The tables turned on September 11th. 2001.
     In a graphic and twisted way,our country woke up
 from a trance of surreal trust in our security.
  We have been changed..and we continue to suffer.

toad
Down, and nearly out in Detroit......
M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2010 at 12:11pm
I agree that we feel more vulnerable because of 911; but we were not really attacked by a foreign nation though. Were we Toad?

The hijackers were foreigners; but it wasn't their countries that attacked us.

15 of the 19 hijackers were from Saudi Arabia
2 were from United Arab Emerates
1 was from Egypt
1 was from Lebanon

Really sad that these 19 people thought it was a good idea to lose their lives in the process of doing this to everyone. What kind of sick plague on humanity could cause such a thing?

If there are truly "no accidents", in a God sense, then I wonder what are we all supposed to learn from 911?

Mixey

toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2010 at 1:08pm
        I think the lesson to be learned from 9/11
 is that threats to our security can surface from places
 that we never suspected before. We weren't attacked
 by a foreign nation,[like we were taught to fear] but
 by some demented individuals linked by a religion.
       We shouldn't be shocked by this, but we are.
  Religion has been the catalyst for thousands of wars
 in the past..so why not now?
    In a God sence we have not evolved very far as humans towards righteousness,morals, or ethics in any of our religious pursuits, but have resorted to killing
 and death to impose our will on others.
    We have yet to figure out that we all share the same
 DNA...Human DNA, and we all are of the same race...
 The Human race. Whatever God we worship must be
 looking at us in total confusion, wondering when we
 will wake up to that truth.

toad
Gene_Leone_Mix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2010 at 5:57am
Goodmorning Everybody,

Yesterday, I did something different on the Anniversary of 911.

Due partially to flat out physical exhaustion and eye soreness from an intense 2 weeks of double sessions each day, well, yesterday, I kind of disconnected from the "news" entirely, as opposed to the usual being glued to it looking for any new information, any new answers, any new explainations.

I'm not sure why this happened within me, or what made me avoid anything "911" yesterday, but that's what happened. Still processing this.

I do know that the little bit that I read about the lunatic preacher with 50 followers who felt that burning someone elses' religious/cultural beliefs was somehow a good idea... and managed to attract world news coverage and attention for the stupid threat, flat out disgusted me about humans.

It seems that many of us have not learned a damned thing for the good of mankind on this planet.

Zip, Ban, Delete has rarely done anything positive throughout history, and as yet, still many do not see the obvious. Sad.

Mutual tolerance, mutual respect, mutual understanding... and simply celebrating each other's differences and/or mutual respect to simply agreeing to disagree in the worst case scenarios, is really not that hard to do when the selfish, alterior motives are stripped away.

There are so many still unanswered questions about 911... the real reasons behind why it happened, the trail of so much evidence overlooked, the spin on what really happened on that day, and who was really behind it and for exactly what reasons.

Overwhelming, all of it, still to this day in 2010.

And the thoughts of so many families that every 911, and everyday, have to live with the reminder that their loved ones died for... exactly what?

Obviously... the human race still has alot to learn.

~Geno

M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2010 at 9:47pm
Humans are sick little creatures... all 1 of us.

Mixey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 04 2011 at 7:05pm
We are a few days away from
the September 11, 2011 - 9/11 Anniversary,

and so i wanted to post this note to bring this thread forward,
reflecting our thoughts and information,
our agreements and disagreements,
that have been posted over the years
in this SoulfulPlanet Thread.

Still wondering here... as even more years go by...

In the big global picture of it all, have we, as a people, and our governments, learned any valuable lessons... as humans... or has much been improved... beyond day to day security proceedures in each country, and around the globe, since it all happened?

Has the Human Race evolved or improved any?

It should be interesting to see how the news media plays up the "10 Year Anniversary" factor of all of this.

In the mean time:

Feds Issue Small Plane Alert Ahead Of 9/11 Anniversary
By: NY1 News 11:19 AM

_
(Click to read Story & watch Video)

M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 05 2011 at 6:21am
Thank you Geno.

Mixey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 05 2011 at 10:25am

— Flight 93 Pa. crash site draws hundreds daily —
Mon Sep 05 07:47:37 PDT 2011

__
http://www.cbsnews.com/video/?tag=hdr;cnav

Read more about this at: - http://www.cbsnews.com/video/?tag=hdr;cnav#ixzz1X61Bj2sq -

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 05 2011 at 2:51pm
With respect to my question posted above,

"In the big global picture of it all, have we, as a people, and our governments, learned any valuable lessons... as humans... or has much been improved... beyond day to day security proceedures in each country, and around the globe, since it all happened?

Has the Human Race evolved or improved any?"

Well, with that in mind...
I just watched all of this program.

It is possibly the best, the most in depth documentary that I have ever seen on this topic,
one that takes a hard look at terrorism,
the reaction to terrorism,
and what has happened in the last decade, as a direct result of the 911 attacks.   

_
— RMS - Day of Destruction - Decade of War —

The videos are broken up into roughly 10:00min seguements for the internet.

Watch all of them.

Amazing information about things that I did not know before watching this program.

~Gene

dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2011 at 9:05am
The release of the Rutgers Law Review audio tapes from 9/11/01 reflect some of the horror felt that fateful day.  I've heard them on various news reports.

This is a very emotional weekend for many Americans for a variety of reasons, including the latest terrorist threats that have New York and Washington on high alert. 

We know the U.S. has thwarted many attempts since 9/11.  We don't know all the details, but we know they continue.

My heart goes out to all the victims and their families.  My thoughts and prayers are with them, and all our law enforcement and intelligence agencies that continue to keep us safe.

God Bless America, and I hope we all unite for a few days at least, as we remember all that happened ten years ago.

dream

http://cdbaby.com/cd/eugenepitt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2011 at 12:29pm
Dream...

Well said.

ditto!

~~~•••~~~~~~•••~~~~~~•••~~~~~~•••~~~

dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2011 at 12:56pm
Great clips, Geno!Clap  Thanls for posting.

dream
s. p. a. t. View Drop Down
AdminTeam
AdminTeam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s. p. a. t. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2011 at 3:34pm
Thank you Dream & Geno for the audio and video clips of then and now. I LOVE the candle Dream. That's BEAUTIFUL!

The views below are mine... not from Bruce & Char. I'm logged on as S. P. A. T., because we're getting hit with some spam IPs right now, and I have to keep updating the statistics area of this forum so I can give Bruce the info. He's not here right now; or normally I'd sign back on as Mixey to state my own opinions.

To me...
Our 9/11 serves me as a continual reminder that we need to become more vigilant to fight injustices that errode the fabric of our lives.

Terrorism by all definitions should not be tolerated here or abroad. That's my domestic and world view. However, when attacked on my home ground, I can't figure out how to respond in any other way than violently. You can't kiss people to death... but maybe kissing them violently enough, will at least make them go away. The right answer to responding to terrorism in an immediate way, unfortunately includes violence, no matter how I try to see it differently.

However, after the violence is over to protect ourselves, and the rebuilding has occurred, it's more appropriate than ever to consider what made people go nuts in the first place. When do we get to the step of helping cure the sickness in the world, that leads to this kind of insanity? What's being done about that??? Wouldn't addressing that make us safer? Wouldn't that be the way to win the real war against terror? What are we REALLY doing to make ourselves safer?

Maybe we ARE doing the right things, and I just don't see them.

Webster defines "terrorism" as:

"The systematic use of terror, especially as a means of coercion."

The definition of "terror" is:

"1. a state of intense fear.
2. a. one that inspires fear. (scourge)
       b. frightening aspect. (the terrors of invasion)
       c. cause of anxiety. (worry)
       d. an appalling person or thing. (brat)
3. reign of terror
4. violent or destructive acts (as bombing) comited by groups in order to intimidate a population or government into granting their demands. (insurrection and revolutionary terror)"

The definition of "coersion" is:

"The act, process or power of coercing."

The definition of "coercing" is:

"1. to restrain or dominate by force. (religion in the past has tried to coerce the irreligious — W. R. Inge)
2. to compel to an act or choice. (was coerced into agreeing)
3. to achieve by force or threat. (coerce compliance)"

My heart goes out to all of us in the world who have suffered throughout history, due to the effects of deranged terrorist behavior.

9/11 to me is still an event that we need to learn more from, and make significant changes. I hope that our next 10 years will be more eventful in the direction of not just insulating ourselves well, but behaving more responsibly towards each other.

God Bless Our Homes and Our Families and The Lives We Have Lost. When I think about those Brave People on the planes and the Firemen and the First Responders and all Those Who Sacrificed Themselves for the greater good, it's impossible to find great enough words of appreciation and thanks.

Mixey

S. P. A. T.
dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2011 at 4:09pm

I wish your words could come true, Mixey.  I wish we could cure all the sickness that exists in this world.  Well said.Hug

Here's a tribute song my boss, Eugene Pitt, helped to write and he sings lead on it.  It won awards from the victims families of 9/11/01.  It's beautiful.  I love the childrens voices.

dream
toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2011 at 5:30pm
         As in every year following the 9/11/2001 event
 the focus is on the victims of the terror attack. That is where the focus belongs & that is the only true place for the public's attention on this date. Everyone should know how this brutal attack effected the victims, their families, and people close to them.
        I think it is a outrage to use that date, 9/11
 to speak of the motivation for the attack, politically, or with any discussion concerning any possible religious
 connections associated with the perpetrators involved.
     Any discussion about the politics or religion should
 surface after that date and not on that date.
     The entire focus of the memorial to the victims
 should be reserved to them, and only them.
    When I watch any media outlet TV shows tomarrow I would HOPE they don't discuss the politics,the perps, or their beliefs. We owe the victims that respect for only
 that one day each year.

toad
Jeff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2011 at 8:08am

Well said, Toad.

And now that it's 9/12... and the politicians revert to their normal
uncooperative, blame-assessment dysfunctional modes of behavior,
and those who still have jobs go back to work, I find myself sitting at
my desk this morning, thinking about 9/11, and the victims.

And I'm hoping that karma really is a force at work in our
lives; and that if this is so, that karma's baseline is true justice.

Because the real perps behind the 9/11 tragedy deserve to be
the recipients of all the horror and darkness they caused the victims.
I want the karmic sword to run them all through, repeatedly.
I know that's not a benevolent or enlightened thought, and I don't care.

The perps know who they are, and I'm hoping they'll have to look over
their shoulders and worry for the rest of their lives. They deserve
far worse than that.

Jeff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2011 at 8:43am
Yes, it's 9/12 now...
and as our politicians in Washington
resume their normal...
"get nothing done useful to anybody, but themselves", mode,
Well, for the rest of US,
I guess it's back to business, as usual...

dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2011 at 9:00am
I saw a facinating and excellent program on CBS last night about the fire station closest to the twin towers on that fateful day.  As it happened, two french film makers were filming the men and following a rookie for a documentary they were doing.  They began filming in July and were there when the twin towers were hit.  They had never before seen film of the towers being hit.  The firemen were on the streets checking a gas leak when the first tower was hit.  You heard the plane, which made them all look up and you saw the first plane hit Tower 1.  The guys went there immediately, including the film makers.  You saw all the confusion and everything that was happening.  The flim maker happened to be outside when the second tower was hit by a plane and there was clear video of it happening.  Same thing again, you could hear the roar of the plane and then you saw it hit Tower II.  He also captured clear video of the towers collapsing from the top down.  It was a very moving documentary, that followed what happened that day and the days after as the cleanup began.  That fire house didn't lose any firefighters that fateful day because the batallion chief gave them orders to evacuate.  There was even film inside Tower 1 when it collapsed, the aftermath and how they got out.  Listening to the men talk about that day many years later, the funerals of their brethren in the film were very moving.  It is the best documentary I've seen on 9/11 and its aftermath.  God Bless all the first responders.

dream
Jeff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2011 at 9:44am
dream,

Yes, that's a fascinating piece. It was released several years ago and
is as compelling to watch today as then.

An interesting tidbit about the brothers, Jules Clιment Naudet and
Thomas Gιdιon Naudet, who were in the process of making (what they
thought) would be a documentary on New York firefighters, following
Antonio "Tony" Benetatos, a rookie firefighter through his experiences in
Fire Department of New York. What they obviously hadn't counted on
was 9/11 happening in the midst of their taping.

That tidbit that holds the most irony for me - as one who has done a lot of
professional videotaping/editing/directing and understands first-hand
all the knowledge, creativity, and hard work that goes into the process of
production on a broadcast level - is the fact that the one brother had very
limited experience behind a video camera. If I recall correctly, the other
more experienced brother was giving his brother one of his first larger
assignments behind the camera, believing that he'd have a comfortable
and largely controlled environment in which to shoot and gain experience.

What the fledgling videographer was hit with instead was a crisis of an
almost unimaginable magnitude - and a situation virtually out of control.

This young man sucked it up, threw himself into the day and hung in there,
rolling through everything. Both brothers were videotaping but a lot of
what you see on the program is the lesser experienced brother's
footage. Those images and sounds are testamant to his courage, his
determination not to run from extreme danger, and his instincts.

Fortunately, he and his shot video survived, and are critical contributions
to the amazing program you watched.

Talk about your baptism by fire.  Shocked

Jeff
dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2011 at 11:54am
VERY INTERESTING, Jeff!!!  I did not know that about the videographers.  I know the program affected me so deeply, I will never forget it.  It will stay with me forever.  Thanks for the additional info!Clap

dream
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic