Soulful Planet  Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Soul of Six > The Village > Memorial
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

10 Years Ago ... 9/11 2011

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 10 Years Ago ... 9/11 2011
    Posted: Sep 11 2007 at 2:25am
Thank you Geno for bringing forth the thread that was started by Dream a few years ago.

In a few short days it will be 10 years since the September 11th attack happened in NY, WA and PA. Let's all take this time to reflect and think.

Remembering the families who were saddened that day, and all of the men and women and children who have suffered worldwide as a result.

Mixey, Bruce & Char

Soulful Planet Administration Team

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Thank you Dream for starting this thread last year. It's 7 years today, since this tragedy happened.

Respect to all,
Mixey
. . . . . . . . . . .

It was six years ago today this nation suffered a tragedy beyond our wildest imagination.
á
Let's take time to reflect on what happened, the people who were murdered and the families they left behind.
á
Let's also remember that many who worked on the rescue and clean up efforts are now suffering illnesses as a result.á We need to see these people receive the best medical care possible.á They fact they're not getting it is a national shame.

á

á

Gene_Leone_Mix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2007 at 4:13am
A look back...

~~~~~
Dream,

I am watching real time NBC playback of this morning events, delayed by six years, on MSNBC right now, as I, and no doubt millions of others watched and experienced this nightmare unfold as it was happening back then.

It is hard not to feel like this happened yesterday... and it's horrible all over again.

Continued prayers for those lost, for those that lost loved ones and close friends, and for those of us left here to never forget what should have never happened.

Beyond Sad,
Geno

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2007 at 5:41am
dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2007 at 6:55am
Well done GENO!!!!!!!!!  I knew you would come in with the appropriate photos and an excellent statement.

Soul Sister and I saw Ground Zero when we got off the subway coming back from Jersey City.  The stairs to the street came up right in front of it.  We paused and looked.  A feeling came over me that I've never felt before.  It was overwhelming and like I stepped into another world - very surreal.  I shall never forget it.  My heart was full of prayer for those who died there that day and their families.

It's a dank, dreary day here in Maine and it seems so appropriate for the sadness we all feel on this date.

http://cdbaby.com/cd/eugenepitt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2007 at 7:57am
Thank You, Dream.

Many of these photo's I'd collected from the Internet in a folder in the days right after 9/11/2001, and they've been there ever since. Looking at them again is not easy.

When i worked at Media Sound in the late 70's (311 W57th Street) sometimes we would get done a session, and go down to the South Tower World Trade Center Building on a nice summer afternoon to go up to the observation deck on the roof. It was beyond awesome up there... so high up and so quiet from the typical Manhattan din and noise below... just the sound of the wind. It must be like that for hawks and eagles when they soar in the sky above. I have pictures from my 35 mm, from the roof of the WTC, but none of them are scanned in. Someday.

So many times I wondered... what would happen if this impossibly high structure ever fell. Who knew.

I was engineering in Studio A of Media Sound in NYC on July 13, 1977 during "The Big Blackout" when it happened, July 13, 1977: Massive Blackout Plunges New York Into Rioting - Wired.com (i have those pictures too), and I got to see first hand what it feels like to be in a city the size of Manhattan during a major crisis emergency... I saw no rioting or crime, but it was very scary and surreal! ... but still... this emergency is nothing compared to what it must have been like for those there on 9/11/2001.

Pray for the ones gone, and pray for the ones who lived thru it.

Peace... and I mean it,
Geno

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2007 at 11:37am
ŚWorld Trade Center Photographs Ś
By AP
These 72 photographs of the World Trade Center disaster site in New York City were taken by AP on 3 October 2001, about noon, at ground zero by an Anonymous Photographer.

The scope and magnitude of the actual devastation, destruction and resulting clean up is beyond imagination.
Chances are that you have never seen these pictures.

for example;

wtc039.gif

and...

wtc038.gif

and...

a WTC Elevator Machine Motor

the full series is here:
www.parrhesia.com/wtc/ - Click each to view very large.

the explanation is written here:
www.parrhesia.com/wtc/wtc-photos.htm - Explanation

M I X E Y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M I X E Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2007 at 4:39pm
Dream,  that John Mayer video was perfect choice.. . beautiful song. . . great lyrics!! It drives home the idea of people waiting for the world to change. . . a state of many. . . feeling like we are incapable of causing a change. 

I feel that no matter how bad things are right now, each one of us can help towards making the world better. . . and by better, I mean simply more civil.

I don't care what a person's station in life is. We all have a duty to ourselves and to each other, to make a difference to move this world towards greater civility. We can do this in the name of humanity, family, country, belief,  or whatever personally motivates us.

If we all behaved more civilly in our everyday lives, these small steps would effect great changes in the world.

No one is better or lesser than anyone else on this planet; but many behave in a way that is counter to the betterment of our survival as a species.

I feel that this is happening because of a sick reaction to past wrong doings.  People who misbehave, think they are acting in a way that will aid their survival, when in fact it is doing just the opposite.

A person who is obsessed with greed, actually thinks that money will save them from something.  They are afraid.  A person who kills in the name of  religion, actually feels that belief will save them from something.

What is that something?  That something is abuse.

If we all act more civilly towards each other, and stop abusing each other. . . the greed and murders will diminish.

The tragedy of 911 is in the horrendous loss of life, and many people's wrong reaction to it.  

~  ~  ~

Geno, I looked at all of the pictures in your bottom link.  I'm happy that the photographer was able to restore those shots that were deleted by the police.  They provide a record of the criminal mismanagement of the cleanup of ground zero.

Thank you so much for posting that.

~  ~  ~

I'm angry and sad for the loss of life on that awful day. 

It is my sincere wish that people around the world could learn a lesson from 911, so that these people will have not lost their lives senselessly.

Mixey 
Jeff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2007 at 1:45pm
Geno ...

The photo links you posted are riveting. They brought back surreal and frightening memories of 9/11.

I used to work video gigs regularly in World Trade Tower 4 (for Merrell Lynch) starting in the late 90s and occasionally in the Twin Towers themselves. Although I was in Europe that week (and was stuck for an extra week because all flights to the US were cancelled) a friend of mine John Miller, an excellent location sound engineer was working in the North Tower on 9/11 doing a similar gig when the plane hit the Tower. He and his crew got out but he observed unthinkable things as they exited the building ... just thinking about the stories he told me can still raise the hair on the back of my neck. I too spent a lot of time in those buildings and imagining myself there in the last moments is too accessible for my mind. Horrible.

J.

Jeff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2007 at 2:37pm
Jeff!!!

"... just thinking about the stories he told me can still raise the hair on the back of my neck. I too spent a lot of time in those buildings and imagining myself there in the last moments is too accessible for my mind. Horrible."

Too true isn't it!   Just thinking about waiting for the next express elevator down... what that would have been like if the plane hit then... frightening, haunting thoughts!

Stuck overseas - I remember You telling me that!... You got stuck in Europe for an extra week because all of the US air travel was grounded.
What a total nightmare this whole NIGHTMARE was.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gene_Leone_Mix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2010 at 2:54pm
- Lawyers urge WTC workers to take $657M settlement -
By DAVID B. CARUSO (AP) ´┐Ż 53 minutes ago
March 12th, 2010
(Full AP Story here) -

"NEW YORK ´┐Ż Lawyers and city officials expressed confidence Friday that they can get ground zero responders to sign on to a settlement that would pay up to $657 million to workers who developed health problems after toiling in the ruins of the World Trade Center.
Thousands of workers who claim to have been sickened by dust and debris will have three months to decide whether to accept the package. If 95 percent don't say yes, the deal is off.
The decision will be a complicated one, but a lead attorney for the firm that negotiated the settlement said most of the feedback from clients so far has been good.
"By far, the calls are running very positive. The clients are quite relieved that an end is in sight," said Marc Bern, a senior partner with the law firm Worby, Groner, Edelman & Napoli, Bern LLP, which negotiated the deal.
Still, with 10,000 plaintiffs involved in the case, success isn't assured. Only $575 million of the settlement is guaranteed. Some workers will qualify for only the minimum payment of $3,250. Any award they get could be depleted by a third or more once the plaintiffs' lawyers take their cut.
A representative of one victims' group expressed reservations Friday that deal doesn't contain enough cash. ... "
AP Story (continued here) -

~~~~~

Questions: The Lawyers will take 1/3 or more of each settlement...??? money that will have to sustain these injured first responders and sickened people for the rest of their lives???

If we do the very, very rough math here:

$657,000,000 total less 33% Lawyer Fees = $433,620,000

$433,620,000 divided by 10,000 plaintiffs involved in the case = $43,362.00 ball park "max" each?

Question: Am I doing this right? ($3,250 to $43,462´┐Ż)
Is this a "ballpark" figure of what they might expect to ever obtain for being severely injured for life, after rushing into a burning tower and wreckage that followed 9/11, to try save people?

~~~~

lindsay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lindsay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2010 at 8:07am

Tis getting a little dull now..............Its past and whoever is to blame has been punished by now, mainly the many followers of the terrorist fandango. I say that since no one has been able to pin point the blame; Nope not Bin Laden either lets put it down now. It was upsetting and scary but its not a great deal up against what the west has done to others and other nations in the name of what we say we believe in...............Its history.

Imagine if you had to live through the Blitz?
dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2010 at 9:42am
I find that statement to be outrageous, Lindzay!!!  All I can say is your comments are total BS.  I guess you've fogotten your beloved England would not exist today without the actions of the west in World War II.  You are the one who needs a history lesson.   I'd love to see you have the guts to make that statement to the familes and rescue workers affected by 9/11, instead of under the anonimity of an internet forum.  Out of all the things you've said here, I find this to be the most offensive.  Why don't you leave the United States if you hate it so much.

dream
winetender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote winetender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2010 at 9:58am
 Dream, I second your emotion! I could not have said it better ~ Nora
Tempt Me!
dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2010 at 3:00pm
Thank you, Nora. Thumbs%20Up

dream
lindsay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lindsay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2010 at 7:30am
Originally posted by dream207 dream207 wrote:

I find that statement to be outrageous, Lindzay!!!  All I can say is your comments are total BS.  I guess you've fogotten your beloved England would not exist today without the actions of the west in World War II.  You are the one who needs a history lesson.   I'd love to see you have the guts to make that statement to the familes and rescue workers affected by 9/11, instead of under the anonimity of an internet forum.  Out of all the things you've said here, I find this to be the most offensive.  Why don't you leave the United States if you hate it so much.

dream

I don`t hate The USA.  I dislike right wing politics.

Do ya wanna see my papers?

My country paid back in full for many years for the help of the USA.  WE climbed out of debt to America.  We were also fighting Japan before America joined the allied forces in Europe. But really we owe the Russians a lot for winning the war against Hitlers Germany.Had they not won without any ones help we`d now be talking German.

Starlin was a shit like Hitler I would not argue that before you get into that one.lol.

It might hurt your feelings but outside of America most people don`t give a shit about 9/11 anymore............its history.

winetender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote winetender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2010 at 8:29am
 Thank you for keeping the memory of those lost, but never forgotten alive. And for always reminding America to NEVER forget 9/11!!!  BTW, dogs have papers too  ~ Nora 
Tempt Me!
toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2010 at 9:13am
         9/11 was the direct result of foreign policy.
  flawed foreign policy. Most all wars fought in the last
 century, and now this century, find their roots in
 distructive foreign policy that is pushed by greed,
 power, and the quest for natural resources that one
 wants to obtain across borders.
       The fifty plus million citizens that died in WWII
  did so following the direction of their leaders..in
 the government and the military.
        The power factions of most governments seek
 wealth and power over other governments.
       Events like 9/11 happen as people seek revenge
 for evil or flawed foreign policy actions by the targeted
 country.
           America was born from bad foreign policy and
 greed. [taxation]
         The governments play their policy games, and
 the citizens and soldiers die for their government's
 agendas.
        Take a hard look at the opium poppy production
 going on now in Afganistan, and tell me all about
 US foreign policy. Is it flawed? Do flawed policy
 actions promote war? Do we as citizens have any
 real control over our government? Are we heading
 for more foreign wars? Who pays?
     If the people living in foreign countries don't
 give a shit about 9/11 anymore, they will become
 the dead pawns in the future foreign policy actions
 that suck them into the conflicts. They will pay...
 one way or another. With their lives, or their money.
     Your destiny is up to you. If you choose to follow
 corrupt leaders expect to suffer.
       There are fifty million deceased examples laying
 in graves all over this world that were the product
 of only about 10 years worth of flawed foreign policy.
 [WWII] They may be silent, but I think they prove my point.

toad
Down, and nearly out in Detroit......
toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2010 at 10:32am
          A video worth watching. It plays in two parts.

Much discussion about The CIA, the dope, 9/11,and
 who knew what and when. It looks to me that the victims of 9/11 should be given the dignity of learning
 what really happened on that terrible day.
   The government and media version is getting shot
 full of holes.

toad
Down, and nearly out in Detroit......
lindsay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lindsay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2010 at 7:02am
woof !
dream207 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dream207 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2010 at 8:57am
Originally posted by winetender winetender wrote:

Thank you for keeping the memory of those lost, but never forgotten alive. And for always reminding America to NEVER forget 9/11!!!  BTW, dogs have papers too  ~ Nora 

ClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapStar

WELL SAID NORA!!!!!!!!!

I think it's a fallacy other countries don't give a damn about 9/11.  I'm sure they're reminded every time there is a bombing or terrorist act in their country.  "Right wing politics" did not cause 9/11.  The hatred of America by Islamic terrorists can be traced back to the Carter administration - I think Jimmy might take offense at being called "right wing".  The Clinton administration had numerous warnings we would be struck here on American soil and did nothing to prevent it.  The arguments between Sec. of State Madeline Albright & Sec. of Defense William Cohen are well known.  President Clinton opted for Albright's arguments.  Too bad he did.

9/11 changed America forever, and it also changed the rest of the world.  It was a global event, not just a national one.  Those who forget or don't care do so at their own risk.

Lindsay, your comments do not hurt my feelings but they do expose you for who and what you are.

dream
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic